The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds in youtube's rough  (Read 36939 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Diamonds in youtube's rough
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »
Over the years there have been multiple fan videos made for Brokeback Mountain.

The first one I ever saw has remained my favorite, set to the music "Far Away" by the rock band Nickleback.

I thought it was extremely well done, and it seemed to take the full move and encapsulate it into 4 minutes perfectly with Nickleback's song.   Back when I first started watching it, it would make me cry, just like the movie did.

Funny story, not long after the fan video appeared (and became known to Brokies) Nickleback's record company picked "Far Away" as the 3rd single from their (then) current CD, and an official video was made.  Anytime I was on the computer, I would have a music video station on TV, and whenever the "Far Away" video came up on rotation, my head would immediately turn to the TV, thinking I was about to see Jack and Ennis on the screen.

Here is that fan video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oZ1Ijn-9c

and for reference, here is the official Nickleback version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4y-RzVGrHg

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
Over the years there have been multiple fan videos made for Brokeback Mountain.

The first one I ever saw has remained my favorite, set to the music "Far Away" by the rock band Nickleback.

I thought it was extremely well done, and it seemed to take the full move and encapsulate it into 4 minutes perfectly with Nickleback's song.   Back when I first started watching it, it would make me cry, just like the movie did.

Funny story, not long after the fan video appeared (and became known to Brokies) Nickleback's record company picked "Far Away" as the 3rd single from their (then) current CD, and an official video was made.  Anytime I was on the computer, I would have a music video station on TV, and whenever the "Far Away" video came up on rotation, my head would immediately turn to the TV, thinking I was about to see Jack and Ennis on the screen.

Here is that fan video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-oZ1Ijn-9c

and for reference, here is the official Nickleback version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4y-RzVGrHg

Gorgeous fan video! Intense and captivating from the first note of the song and screen capture to the last.

Thanks for sharing, Chuck.
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
I'm going to be courageous and be the first to share a few thoughts and feelings.

It strikes me as a very moving story. My heart broke for their everyday circumstances, the parents being alcoholics...and all that entails.

I think that sexual curiosity between siblings may be more prevalent than one thinks. But I see it differently here; they are, maybe more so the younger boy?, seeking comfort and warmth in each other in what was for them a cold, lonely, and unaffectionate environment. They are seriously lacking.

You can see how the difference in age paints a different picture for each of them, although we hear more how Paul feels. He comes to see their relationship as a marriage and is traumatized when Mike leaves. This is so sad to see, Paul feeling totally abandoned. I am not blaming Mike, he lived his life the way he thought, 16 is not 40. He surely would have his feelings to deal with, if not then, later in life.

I personally do not feel disgust, anger or outrage and I do not judge anyone that does. My motto at this point in life is, until I have walked a mile in someone's shoes...

fia - I would love to read the comment you had originally posted or how you feel now?

This is another topic but the story reminds me of some videos I watched a few months ago, about incestuous relationships between siblings, parent and child... who had been separated at birth or soon after and met again as adults, and fell in love. They made a life together, some had children... some had their children taken away... It was heartbreaking to see what they and the children went through.

I don’t know much about consensual sexual love between siblings, or why the usual taboos are don’t kick in for some people. But I know that short or long-relationships can and do happen, probably beset by difficulties, but for some people intense and lifelong. Should the law against them be changed? I just don’t know, but I personally don’t feel shocked or disgusted either.

The pharaohs went in for it of course - no one else was quite good enough!

Bob, I hope you don’t mind that I led you so off-topic.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »
I enjoy many BBM videos. They are difficult to get wrong.

I have mentioned the following video on Heath Planet I believe. I am totally in love with it. There isn't anything I do not enjoy.

I love the tone of the singer's voice; it's a perfect fit for this story, deep and sad, it reminds me of Ennis's voice. Near the end, when he says Jack's name in "the world would be so different, Jack, I swear" it gets me every time, it is exactly how Ennis says Jack's name, in particular in the scene where Jack drives to Ennis after finding out about the divorce.

The lyrics/poem capture the struggles, longing, heartbreak, tenderness, and devastation of the movie.

The video stays with me, as does the movie. It's a heart-tugger/shatterer in the deepest sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBlK4apIuKg

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
I finally found the one of the dozy embrace in slow motion, to Pat Metheny's Spiritual, and with the words from the story transcribed over the scene.  The timing to words and music is pitch-perfect, the videographer, willow386, did a great job.

Brokeback Mountain (flashback)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxW0npSi9U0

still wish they'd loaded the horse facing front  ::)
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 12:47:34 PM »
As the older brother, Mike should not have allowed this type of relationship to begin.  I understand that he was only 16, I'm sure he didn't realize it, but his actions only ended up further scarring Paul.  I would like to know what caused this relationship to happen.

There aren't many clues, are there? In the bed scene, after Mike wraps his arm around Paul, we see Paul glance down; is Mike's hand slipping down there?
In the interview Paul said "That's when the sex began..." So was it simply experimentation, or should Mike have been past that by 16?

I think it is common for pubescent boys to try to have sex whenever the circumstances seem to cooperate, especially if they have a willing partner of either sex. Maybe not as much if their families are strict, although that in itself might increase their appetite. I do think it's how a lot of them learn who they are. Maybe most of them.

Later in the interview, Paul says "Mike is married now, and we don't talk about it. Jan doesn't even know." (I don't know who Jan is -- perhaps Mike's wife?)
I take this to suggest Mike has put "all this" behind him, and is now likely straight hetero.

Which leaves Paul to suffer abandonment and betrayal alone.

I apologize for repeating myself, but that is exactly how I see this story: childhood love denied, a short, improbable love betrayed, a life of regret. Told simply, stunningly.

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
I finally found the one of the dozy embrace in slow motion, to Pat Metheny's Spiritual, and with the words from the story transcribed over the scene.  The timing to words and music is pitch-perfect, the videographer, willow386, did a great job.

Shoot, unfortunately the video is unavailable to me.  :(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:34:33 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 02:39:23 PM »
There aren't many clues, are there? In the bed scene, after Mike wraps his arm around Paul, we see Paul glance down; is Mike's hand slipping down there?   In the interview Paul said "That's when the sex began..." So was it simply experimentation, or should Mike have been past that by 16?

I think it is common for pubescent boys to try to have sex whenever the circumstances seem to cooperate, especially if they have a willing partner of either sex. Maybe not as much if their families are strict, although that in itself might increase their appetite. I do think it's how a lot of them learn who they are. Maybe most of them.

Later in the interview, Paul says "Mike is married now, and we don't talk about it. Jan doesn't even know." (I don't know who Jan is -- perhaps Mike's wife?)
I take this to suggest Mike has put "all this" behind him, and is now likely straight hetero.

Which leaves Paul to suffer abandonment and betrayal alone.

I apologize for repeating myself, but that is exactly how I see this story: childhood love denied, a short, improbable love betrayed, a life of regret. Told simply, stunningly.

~~~fia

I understand your feeling on this.  Perhaps Mike thought he was comforting his brother, Paul.  However, Paul fell in love.  Perhaps I should say that Paul thought he fell in love.  Remember, at this time, Paul was only between 10 - 12.  What does a 12 year old know about falling in love?   He could've very easily confused his feelings of security with is brother as love. 

As for sexual experimentation, I would guess that depends on the person.  It's very possible that Mike was still in the experimental stage at 16.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »

Never seen this one before, or if I did, I don't remember it.  Thanks for the link, it's very well done!

I enjoy seeing the way Brokeback inspired others to create their own works of art.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »
                                               ^^^
I absolutely love all the BBM fan videos set to music.They cut you to the quick don't they.

Here's another one....the song is OK...but there was a time when I got fed up of hearing it......BUT......the vid is really special.Well made and fab pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHeV8Kun1OM

I'm sure there was one made too with the Kate Melua singing: "I cried for you, and the skies cried for you ". I can't find it...but perhaps someone else could ??  :)

Promise not to turn this thread into BBM Fan Video Club !
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »

I'm sure there was one made too with the Kate Melua singing: "I cried for you, and the skies cried for you ". I can't find it...but perhaps someone else could ??  :)

Is this it, Sue? This is certainly very beautiful, very touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4pYox5N9do

I will go and have a listen to the other one you mentioned.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 04:49:24 PM »
                                               ^^^
I absolutely love all the BBM fan videos set to music.They cut you to the quick don't they.

Here's another one....the song is OK...but there was a time when I got fed up of hearing it......BUT......the vid is really special.Well made and fab pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHeV8Kun1OM

I agree with you that the video shots are very well done, but as much as I enjoy Adele, it is not a song I would have picked to represent Jack & Ennis's love.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2018, 06:22:52 AM »
From Beginning to End Part 1 with English subtitles :43min.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ptizk

From Beginning to End Part 2 with English subtitles :53min.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5q2cgu

U.S. members, did you watch Smerconish on Saturday morning (9/22)? One of his guests was a psychology professor who explained that the upcoming Kavanaugh/Ford hearings were a waste of time because the committee members' minds were already made up. And on a larger scale, so are the minds of virtually all the public who express interest in the drama. The professor was quite persuasive, and I have to agree with him. (So did Smerconish.)

Then, with nothing better to do, I decided to look at some of the reviews of "From Beginning to End."
   Guess what?
A lot of minds seem to have been made up before they watched the movie.
   Gee, that's unexpected...right?

The earliest-dated professional review I found was bad. It generalized: ill-conceived, poorly written, poorly acted, nice camera work.
All the rest said essentially the same thing. Almost verbatim. Hmmm.

The private reviews seemed to be talking about an entirely different movie: here are clips from the Amazon buyers reviews:

It is all about LOVE. Love comes in different guises. This film is about love, protection, intimacy, father
  neglect, overprotectiveness of the mother.....so many things. But in the end it is about the love between two people
  who happen in this lifetime to be half-brothers. The expression of their love is so honest, physical, deep,
  and real in it's expression...

Another:

...One commented on not enough nudity. As much as I would  always like to see more, the amount shown here
  was perfect. This is a very sensitive subject to many people, and I thought the movie handled it very well.
  I would give the movie more [than 5 stars], if it was possible. It was perfect! Very well done!

I guess all that's left is for me to give my take:

I liked it.  :D

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
U.S. members, did you watch Smerconish on Saturday morning (9/22)? One of his guests was a psychology professor who explained that the upcoming Kavanaugh/Ford hearings were a waste of time because the committee members' minds were already made up. And on a larger scale, so are the minds of virtually all the public who express interest in the drama. The professor was quite persuasive, and I have to agree with him. (So did Smerconish.)

Then, with nothing better to do, I decided to look at some of the reviews of "From Beginning to End."
   Guess what?
A lot of minds seem to have been made up before they watched the movie.
   Gee, that's unexpected...right?

The earliest-dated professional review I found was bad. It generalized: ill-conceived, poorly written, poorly acted, nice camera work.
All the rest said essentially the same thing. Almost verbatim. Hmmm.

The private reviews seemed to be talking about an entirely different movie: here are clips from the Amazon buyers reviews:

It is all about LOVE. Love comes in different guises. This film is about love, protection, intimacy, father
  neglect, overprotectiveness of the mother.....so many things. But in the end it is about the love between two people
  who happen in this lifetime to be half-brothers. The expression of their love is so honest, physical, deep,
  and real in it's expression...

Another:

...One commented on not enough nudity. As much as I would  always like to see more, the amount shown here
  was perfect. This is a very sensitive subject to many people, and I thought the movie handled it very well.
  I would give the movie more [than 5 stars], if it was possible. It was perfect! Very well done!

I guess all that's left is for me to give my take:

I liked it.  :D

~~~fia

I love reading everyone's interesting comments and thoughts. I appreciate that we can discuss rarely talked about subjects. It opens my heart and that feels good!  :)

Although I will admit to fast-forwarding through this movie, I did not wish, for no particular reason, to dedicate one hour to watch it. I still would like to share a few thoughts.

From what I saw, it was beautifully done although not necessarily captivating for me.

The term used, in the videos I saw a few months ago re long lost relatives making a life together as a couple, was genetic attraction, which is obviously an inexplicable and strong attraction. I am not a fan of labels as I find them limiting, still, it explains this relationship although these two brothers were raised together.

A question that arises for me is 'who are they harming?'. People do not have to like or approve of what others do. Two beings that long to be together will find a way to do so. The couples in the videos did just that; they moved where no one knew them and lived in secrecy. Living on the run is a difficult way to live.

What would be the reason for anyone wanting any of this stopped? I think the driving force is fear, and the thought that 'if society makes these relationships permissible and acceptable, everyone will start doing it'. I do not think it works that way. We are all unique. We each see life through our own eyes and heart, and desire to experience it that way. At least, that is what I wish for everyone.

Another thing that was brought up in those videos was that such relationships are probably happening more often than realized when children of anonymous sperm bank donors unknowingly couple with siblings.

The intent for me here is not to justify these relationships for I personally see no need to do that. But these facts are interesting and can possibly help shed light on the topic.

Another aspect which speaks to me is the openness for each of us having had past lives and the roles we each played together in those lifetimes, the recognition, familiarity, immediate feeling of intimacy between beings.

The above are my own thoughts, present views, and experience of life. I do not call them beliefs for they are forever morphing and expanding. As I open up to life's infinite possibilities, deeper acceptance, and openness, I feel lighter and more liberated. At the same time, I hold no judgments, or work on them if they arise, as my intent is to accept and respect others' views even though they are not my own. How boring it would be if we all thought the same.

If acceptance and openness can give someone, that is not harming anyone, more peace and love, I say bring it on. Like that. 💞💞💞

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2018, 10:29:33 AM »
Nice post, Michelle. I think I share many of your thoughts.