The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds in youtube's rough  (Read 36544 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: Diamonds in youtube's rough
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2018, 05:53:23 AM »
Over the years I have watched TONS of figure skating performances.    Some are great, some are not, and some stay with you.

This is one that stays with me, and I go to frequently.  It was performed in 2003, and I still get chills when I see it.

It was broadcast on Russian TV, it was the exhibition for the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.  Sasha Cohen was one of the top US skaters at the time.

The program was to the music of Romeo & Juliet, composed by Nino Rota.   Sasha does only 3 jumps during the program, using the rest of the choreography to showcase her steady spins and spirals, where she glides across the ice on one foot, the other leg extended towards the ceiling.

One of her coaches had said "I've never seen her hit an ugly pose" and I truly believe that statement.

While the whole thing is great to watch, two specific moments to watch for.  Just past the 3:30 mark, she does a move called a "Charlotte spiral", and her final spin ends in an "I spin" position.

The opening commentary is in Russian, but they stop speaking at the 45 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz4MUM3Qn_k

Wonderful, Chuck.

Can you recommend any male skaters, who are artistic and not just athletic?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2018, 06:24:34 PM »
I can recommend one "classic" skater, and one current.

The classic one has quite a story.

Rudy Galindo grew up in a lower middle class family.   His family opted to live in a trailer instead of a house,  in an effort to have more money to pay for Rudy's skating.

He was paired with Kristi Yamaguchi, and together they won the 1989 and 1990 US National Championships.  Kristi was also a singles skater, competing in the women's field.   They thought that they would be competing together at the 1992 Olympics.  However, some of Kristi's people were telling her how hard it is to compete as a single skater as well as a pair skater, and if she really wanted a medal, she should focus only on singles skating.  She very reluctantly told Rudy the pair was breaking up, and Kristi went on to win a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.

Rudy returned to singles skating, but did not fare as well as Kristi, and had many disappointing finishes.  On top of that, he had many tragedies occur in his life.  His coach (Jim Hulick) died of AIDS-related cancer.  Rudy Galindo's father died of a heart attack in 1993, and his brother, George, died from AIDS in 1994. Another coach, Rick Inglesi, died of AIDS in 1995.   Galindo reports in his autobiography that he was grief-stricken and unmotivated by a lack of support from the skating establishment.  At this point he was being coached by his older sister, Laura, because the family could no longer afford any other coach.

Rudy had considered retiring from the sport, but the 1996 National Championships were to be held in his hometown of San Jose.  Rudy opted to compete one last time, and was the oldest competitor in the competition.

In the first phase of the program, Rudy placed in 3rd, and had to complete the artistic program for his final scores and placements.  He skated as the evil Von Rothbart from Swan Lake.

Here is his performance, yes, there is commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH9mg_ZneA&t=495s

As for the current skater, his name is Kevin Aymoz.  He's 21 and the current National Champion of France.  He competed last week in the Autumn Classic International in Canada.  He didn't win a medal, and it wasn't a perfect performance, but his performance earned rave reviews from the skating establishment and fans alike.

This could be his breakout year.  Video has no commentary during the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2eq5jmFFN8

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:09:09 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »
It's Friday! This is one of the videos that most made me laugh lately, it's kind of montypythonish. Probably not a diamond, but hey, it's Friday and I needed a laugh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3K7Qc6vW5Q

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
I can recommend one "classic" skater, and one current.

The classic one has quite a story.

Rudy Galindo grew up in a lower middle class family.   His family opted to live in a trailer instead of a house,  in an effort to have more money to pay for Rudy's skating.

He was paired with Kristi Yamaguchi, and together they won the 1989 and 1990 US National Championships.  Kristi was also a singles skater, competing in the women's field.   They thought that they would be competing together at the 1992 Olympics.  However, some of Kristi's people were telling her how hard it is to compete as a single skater as well as a pair skater, and if she really wanted a medal, she should focus only on singles skating.  She very reluctantly told Rudy the pair was breaking up, and Kristi went on to win a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics.

Rudy returned to singles skating, but did not fare as well as Kristi, and had many disappointing finishes.  On top of that, he had many tragedies occur in his life.  His coach (Jim Hulick) died of AIDS-related cancer.  Rudy Galindo's father died of a heart attack in 1993, and his brother, George, died from AIDS in 1994. Another coach, Rick Inglesi, died of AIDS in 1995.   Galindo reports in his autobiography that he was grief-stricken and unmotivated by a lack of support from the skating establishment.  At this point he was being coached by his older sister, Laura, because the family could no longer afford any other coach.

Rudy had considered retiring from the sport, but the 1996 National Championships were to be held in his hometown of San Jose.  Rudy opted to compete one last time, and was the oldest competitor in the competition.

In the first phase of the program, Rudy placed in 3rd, and had to complete the artistic program for his final scores and placements.  He skated as the evil Von Rothbart from Swan Lake.

Here is his performance, yes, there is commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH9mg_ZneA&t=495s

As for the current skater, his name is Kevin Aymoz.  He's 21 and the current National Champion of France.  He competed last week in the Autumn Classic International in Canada.  He didn't win a medal, and it wasn't a perfect performance, but his performance earned rave reviews from the skating establishment and fans alike.

This could be his breakout year.  Video has no commentary during the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHSWMholqA

Sorry to have been so long in responding to this, Chuck. I’ve watched and admired both. Beautiful,  just what I was hoping for.

I hope Aymoz will go far - I love his grace.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
It might be fair to say that DCF leans toward young love, perhaps toward first love. In Brokeback Mountain, it was a pair of 19 year olds. In Call Me By Your Name, one 17 and one 24. I have personally called attention to Dream Boy, a 17 y/o and a 16 y/o. Later, From Beginning to End, a 6 y/o and his infant brother (obviously they started very young, but it lasted their whole lives  :"> ).

The one thing that drew me to these stories was the unapologetic, intense love they voiced. I thought it was profound, and I loved their love.

Now, I have come across one that is new to me (but produced in 1992), and I want to share it with you. It starts slowly, but blossoms magnificently, I think.

I won't mislead you: this is a serious, :92 minute movie. If you find anything troubling in it, I suggest you read some of the viewers' comments. They are penetrating and insightful.

The streaming agent is not youtube (alas!), but putlockers.fm.  They say there are multiple, independent putlockers, all using the same name, just to stay ahead of the industry that is trying to shut them down via the courts. Digital Robin Hoods.

When you click this link, the putlockers website will offer you three different versions of the movie. Click the Second one. (The contents of all three are the same, but the first has poor subtitles, and the third requires a special player. As Goldilocks says, the middle one is just right).

For A Lost Soldier
http://putlockers.fm/watch/qvo6QJDd-for-a-lost-soldier/thevideo.html

~~~fia
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:20:28 PM by foreverinawe »
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
                                                 ^^^^

I always remember this performance by John Currie.
It was like watching ballet on ice. Fabulous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79TMsYRnEc

No acrobatics just perfection.

Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2018, 01:43:04 AM »
I remember it too, Sue - beautiful. And such a welcome change from some of his predecessors, with their stiff arms and hands. He introduced real grace into men’s skating, which up till then was so much more associated with the women.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:19:48 PM by foreverinawe »
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
I remember it too, Sue - beautiful. And such a welcome change from some of his predecessors, with their stiff arms and hands. He introduced real grace into men’s skating, which up till then was so much more associated with the women.

Sorry so long in answering Sara...but "yes" he was such a change from all the other male skaters...and he interprets the music perfectly.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
Out of all the dance scenes that have been in movies this is the one that gives me goose bumps and makes me wish it was me dancing.
Keep watching...it comes up soon !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opNUL206zIs

The dance sequence from "The Horse Whisperer"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:22:05 PM by BlueAmber63 »

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »
    For A Lost Soldier
    http://putlockers.fm/watch/qvo6QJDd-for-a-lost-soldier/thevideo.html

Nobody has commented on the movie For a Lost Soldier, but maybe some have seen it. On that chance, I would like to ask:

Do you think that 30-something Jeroen should begin the search for Walt Cook,
   now that he has the photo of the forgotten dog tags?

~~~fia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
Hello fia!

I haven't had the time to see the movie, but I have read about it online.  Not the same, but at least I have an idea of the story.

I think it depends on the motives for looking for him.   Is it for closure?  To rekindle?  To accuse him of something? 

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2018, 09:07:19 AM »
I think it depends on the motives for looking for him.   Is it for closure?  To rekindle?  To accuse him of something?
Three very good questions. I might add one more:

Is it to demand an answer to Why didn't you say Goodbye?

You've hit on the very core of my question, Chuck. Adult Jeroen's expressions, demeanor, and actions are the only clues we have to what motivates him. When he attends Hait's funeral and encounters the ghost of himself (age 13), we know he still has profound feelings for his experience.

But what should he do about it now that this unexpected opportunity (the dog tags) has come up?

~~~fia

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »
I haven't had the time either, but I inted to watch it, I only need the children to be back in school!

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »
The Spanish pop band La Oreja de Van Gogh (the ear of Van Gogh) is new to me, but I chanced upon it on youtube today. Their song La Playa (the beach) struck a chord (no pun intended) with me, both musically and lyrically, seeming to echo the love in For a Lost Soldier.

Whoever produced the video is amazingly talented, framing the entire story in a fish tank (I'm not kidding) with two tiny lovers strolling the sandy bottom. It's a delight.

La Playa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx5qVmtfayA

The piece is actually on youtube twice, the second time just to show the lyrics. Unfortunately the translation is poor, but the ideas are rich.

La Playa (lyrics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6YrmXoGyE

I'll paraphrase the translation into a bit more understandable English (I hope!)

I don't know if you still remember me
We met at one time
You, the sea and the sky
And who brought me to you?

You embraced my embraces
Guarding that moment
Although it was the first
And you will keep it for me

If I could be born again
I would see your every dawn
Smiling every time
Like that time.

I'm going to write you the prettiest song in the world
I'm going to capture our story in only one second
One day you will see that this crazy one soon forgets
The long years that have passed in our lives.

~~~fia