The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds in youtube's rough  (Read 36878 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: Diamonds in youtube's rough
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2021, 03:25:33 PM »
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2022, 09:33:15 AM »
2001: A Space Odyssey

Seven years ago, a young filmmaker named Tyler Knudsen undertook an in-depth analysis of Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece,  2001: A Space Odyssey. Posting to youtube, he produced seven videos, each devoted to some aspect of the story, often mingling technical descriptions with the mindsets of the storytellers, Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke.  It took him 3 years to complete his seven videos. 

If you have always wondered about the story’s ending, I recommend the seventh video, “Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite”. It’s over :30 minutes long, but if you start at about :16 minutes you’ll be at the meat of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-WBxfwspTc&list=PLGciYgiR4atGcBOIuOmLQBXUj692TV6R0&index=11

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2022, 10:15:31 AM »
Just watched it, thank you for it!

I first saw the movie at the Uptown Theater in DC just a few days after it premiered, and I parked my sister's car on Ordway Street NW around the corner. I paid enough attention to the closing credits that I found it a happy coincidence that the name was shared by one of the special effects magicians!

I was so impressed by the movie that I brought my sister and b-i-l to see it toward the end of the visit, and then when I got back to school I talked it up with many of my teachers so that I saw them in the audience when it showed at a downtown theater in South Bend.

I've lost track as to how many times I've seen it.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2022, 02:48:24 PM »
Very interesting video, thanks for that!

I liked the discussion of the filming of the star child, and how they worked the lighting of it.   I must say, when you see the star child originally in the video, it looks rather creepy.  However, with the lighting effects, it's rather peaceful appearing.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2022, 08:23:20 AM »
Here’s one more explanation of the 2001 ending. And it’s wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KLujOXs8wg

~~~fia

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2022, 04:47:45 PM »
György Ligeti - Poème Symphonique For 100 Metronomes (I've seen this performed live in Berkeley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUv705xj3U
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2022, 04:49:41 PM »
At the same performance where I saw the Ligeti piece I saw this as well:

Pendulum Music Steve Reich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6qDeJPT-w
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »
Wayne County (later Jayne County) in Derek Jarman's "Jubilee" (I'm guessing this is taped from an Italian copy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyNVLhb2VwE

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2022, 04:59:33 PM »
Amanda Lear from the Italian TV show "Stryx":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhbFruikAQk

Amanda and Grace Jones from "Stryx":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfMoxS3iEc

And more about the TV show:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/stryx-italian-tv-show

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2022, 05:03:53 PM »
At the same performance where I saw the Ligeti piece I saw this as well:

Pendulum Music Steve Reich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6qDeJPT-w

I would never have thought to use feedback that way.   Normally you hear such a high-pitched squeal that's unpleasant. 

This actually had an odd effect on me, giving me a sense of nostalgia.  The sounds reminded me of what you would hear an unoiled swing set produce, and it took me back to visits to the park as a kid.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2022, 05:10:52 PM »
The high pitched squeal is what I thought of right away Chuck and I wondered if Reich wasn't inspired by something like that happening at one of his concerts.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2022, 05:13:09 PM »
Amanda and Grace Jones from "Stryx":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfMoxS3iEc

I often wonder why Grace didn't have a bigger mainstream success here in the states.  I can easily see this played on the radio during the disco era.

However, I'm sure Grace never worried about mainstream success.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2022, 05:29:08 PM »
I think that the problem that Grace faced was that she started working at the end of the disco era, right when the backlash against disco was happening. She also could easily be seen as being threatening to male egos with her very aggressive sort of look (it eventually got her a role in Conan, however). She probably faced problems in America because she had a big gay following and was associated with gay people (not really popular in the late 70s/early 80s - it's important to remember that Bowie really became popular in America after "Let's Dance" came out and he said in "Rolling Stone" that saying he was bisexual was the biggest mistake in his life). Grace was very popular with a subset of the population and was in heavy rotation in gay clubs in the late 70s.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2022, 11:29:52 AM »