The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 53343 times)

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #10425 on: January 15, 2020, 02:39:22 AM »
Good morning, Sara!  I'm around, but just barely.   :)
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10426 on: January 15, 2020, 02:44:50 AM »

Re falls: I’m pretty steady on my feet, but living alone I think how awful it would be if I fell, so I always use the handrail on my stairs, and also sometimes in shops etc. My sister read how many germs lived on public handrails, so never uses them, but I’d rather fight the germs than have a fall!

I'm glad you're being careful on your stairs, Sara.

My Sarah (physical therapist) told me yesterday that I should always use the handrail (railing) on my stairway inside my house, even though I wished I could get to the point of not needing it.  It is hard to carry laundry, dish trays, etc., up and down the stairs if I have to hold the items in one hand only, in order to keep the other hand free for holding the railing.

But better to be safe, and make more trips.  And some "concessions."  For example, it would take me two  hands to hold a laundry basket, so I've stopped carrying a laundry basket on the stairs.  Instead, I put the clothes (either dirty or clean, but in separate ones) in plastic trash bags, which I can grip in one hand, thereby freeing up the other hand for the stair railing.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10427 on: January 15, 2020, 02:47:44 AM »
Debbie! Go back to bed!

I just bundle the clothes under my arm... Just going to take the lean ones up now! of course sometimes I do carry things in both hands, but am very careful.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10428 on: January 15, 2020, 02:50:18 AM »
Happy

Birthday,

Chuck!!
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10429 on: January 15, 2020, 02:54:34 AM »
Debbie! Go back to bed!

I just bundle the clothes under my arm... Just going to take the lean ones up now! of course sometimes I do carry things in both hands, but am very careful.

I'm going, I'm going............  :laugh:

Had to get up for the bathroom, and am waiting for 5 AM to take my thyroid, and now it is just about 5 AM, so see you much later in this day.

As for the laundry on stairs, if it's just a few clothes, I'll put them under my arm, too, but sometimes it's a whole bag full of hand towels, washcloths, underwear, socks, etc., for the hot laundry....they need to be more contained so they don't fall  all over the floor.  (Or else I'd probably trip on a towel and that would send me falling down the stairs.   ::) )
Jack's from Texas.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10430 on: January 15, 2020, 03:26:54 AM »
I'm going, I'm going............  :laugh:

Had to get up for the bathroom, and am waiting for 5 AM to take my thyroid, and now it is just about 5 AM, so see you much later in this day.

As for the laundry on stairs, if it's just a few clothes, I'll put them under my arm, too, but sometimes it's a whole bag full of hand towels, washcloths, underwear, socks, etc., for the hot laundry....they need to be more contained so they don't fall  all over the floor.  (Or else I'd probably trip on a towel and that would send me falling down the stairs.   ::) )

Hope you get back to sleep.

I must confess, I do sometimes have to pick up a trail of socks, underwear etc! :D
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10431 on: January 15, 2020, 06:44:30 AM »
Let me scroll through and see what I can find.

Of course, everyone celebrated Christmas.

Nancy caught a cold.

Jenny and her husband caught colds.

Bob (maturben) said his oncologist stopped the chemo infusions because he feels they were doing me more harm than good-----may be starting radiology treatments in the new year however.  "I'm still here and having better days"

Nancy posted a pic of her cubicle decorated for Christmas.  https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49474.msg2850633#msg2850633

Elisa was sick for the holidays, but had to carry on as she had a house full of guests.

foreverinawe posted a link for a sweet ad at Christmas.  https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49474.msg2850728#msg2850728

Tony and Phong had good holidays, as did Phong's dad.  Tony had a visit from his friend Robert.

Fritz had a good visit with family, and returned home safely.

Ing and Mr. S. had a wonderful time away at a spa.  This is where they stayed, and the spa.  https://www.taminatherme.ch/en.html  https://www.hotel-hirschen-bregenzerwald.at/

Debbie spent some time over the holidays doing online Christmas jigsaw puzzles.  There were some brief computer issues, but they seem to have cleared up.

Speaking of computers, Nancy got a new laptop.

Sara was spending holiday time with family.

Jonn spent time with family at Christmas, and made himself a meal of spaghetti to have later.  He also spent time doing his volunteer work.

I was invited to a "Roaring 20s" themed New Year's Eve party.   I posted pics of the items I would be getting for my costume for the party here.

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49474.msg2851191#msg2851191

Debbie and her siblings were discussing selling some property sometime in the new year.

Nancy found an antique cabinet for her home, and posted a pic of it.  She also posted a pic in the next post, of some of the personal items she has on display in it now.

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49474.msg2851457#msg2851457

Fritz had been having some back issues, and thought perhaps it was sciatica.

Sonja popped in to say she had a wonderful time with family for Channuka

Fritz reported that Earls wounds are healed and now has follow-ups with doctors on other matters.

Debbie had her last PT session, but was thinking about seeing if it was possible to extend them for a bit more, but perhaps only once a week.

Tony told  us that Phong's brother used the New Year's Eve party to celebrate his retirement.

Sara popped in to tell us that her family was traveling to Europe, and not in Australia by the fires.

Elena popped in to wish us happy new year!  (:laugh:)

Fritz posted pics of his trip, and they start here.

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49474.msg2852248#msg2852248

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49474.msg2852315#msg2852315

Lilia and Leela were sick, and Linda was trying not to catch it, since her surgery date is in the near future.

Ingster and Mr. S. lost a dear friend who passed away in the early hours of January 1st.  They were not only upset about this, but the memorial service for the friend will take place while they are away in India.

I had to explain what "shower poufs" were.

Phong had some periods of light-headedness, and Tony's CPAP machine had stopped working.

Nancy is loving her new computer.

Sara's family returned from Lisbon with colds/flu.

Linda had some blood work done before her surgery, and it determined she had a bladder infection, so she had some antibiotics give to her to take.

The usefulness of bidets was discussed.

Nancy sliced her finger open on a blade for a blender.  It's healing nicely.

A number of us were taking down our Christmas decorations at the same time.  Elisa, however, said that while the Christmas stuff was coming down, she thought she'd keep her advent decorations up a bit longer.

https://blogs.transparent.com/swedish/bring-out-your-candles-and-stars-its-advent/

Fritz went for his shingles shot, and had a sore arm for a little while.

Jonn was recording all his sports games to watch.

we discussed boxing day

Linda had a good conversation with a friend who had knee -replacement surgery, so she will have some idea of what to expect.

Both Fritz and Jonn talked about massage experiences they had.

Tony and Phong have to be concerned about nearby work on another property, and protecting their house from damage.

Jonn had a birthday.

Debbie has had a lot of paperwork to get through, and is updating her 2020 calendars.

Tony, Fritz, Linda and I talked about hearing loss and hearing issues.

Jenny's husband had a colonoscopy, he seems to have come through with little prospect of any malignancy, though they'll do a biopsy to make sure. Barring anything showing up there he doesn't need to come back for 10 years.

Sara celebrated a birthday.

We talked about being 'knackered' and 'pissed'.

and then Elena returned!  (:laugh:)
You can't go on being this funny, Chuck. My abs ache from laughing!  :laugh:
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10432 on: January 15, 2020, 06:57:05 AM »
I learnt that there are two Norman surnames among the Scottish branches of my family tree - way back. Which means some very distant Viking forebears. (I'm not into tattoos at all though.)

But a beard? ;)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10433 on: January 15, 2020, 07:00:34 AM »
Happy birthday, Chuck!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10434 on: January 15, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
HAPPY BOITDAY
CHUCK

DAWLIN HAWT!!!!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10435 on: January 15, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »
Hey y'all, sunny and clear, but very damp from overnight rain. It should dry in the coming hours. Cooler than yesterday, but well above freezing. I think it should get warmer in the afternoon than it was yesterday with all the rain and clouds.

Nothing on the agenda today, except of course for the daily knee and back exercises which I've already done right after getting up.

And since today is quarterly tax payment day, I put the state and federal tax checks in the mailbox to be picked up. If for some reason the letter carrier doesn't come by, then I'd have to get to the post office this afternoon to mail them before the last pickup of the day, but that has never happened, yet.

Earl pays his online, but he has had occasional difficulties, so I don't mind using the snail mail.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10436 on: January 15, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »
Hey Debbie!

Rehi Eli!

¡Hola Elenita!

Hey Sara!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10437 on: January 15, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
I'm finding I have to be more careful about holding onto the handrail going up and down the stairs too. One of the difficulties about the trail that I took the day before I left SC was that many of the long stretches of wooden stairs had nothing to grab onto, and for some reason I forgot to take my walking stick along.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10438 on: January 15, 2020, 08:23:41 AM »
Hey Fritz. You’re very good about doing your exercises. I’m bad about keeping them up!

I don’t use a stick when I’m walking. Most of the time I feel I balance better without, though on a steep slippery slope it would probably be a good idea.

Just sung at the 3rd funeral in a week. This one was 95, and after a wonderful full life had dementia, so not too sad. We only have choir for funerals if they’ve had a close choir or church connection, and she qualified! Could be quite scary, but she actually liked it if you stood up to her, and had a kind heart sometimes well hidden!

Choir practice on Friday, and an Epiphany carol service Sunday evening.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10439 on: January 15, 2020, 08:28:44 AM »
Yes, same with us, we'll sing if a choir member (active or retired) or close friend has died, mostly they just use a cantor. I missed quite a few funerals back when I was working, and I expected that there would be more to attend since I retired, but there have so far been surprisingly few.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:46:03 AM by fritzkep »