The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 81778 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #10905 on: January 20, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »
Thanks Debs!

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10906 on: January 20, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
Good night, Fritz, and anyone else around.

See you whenever.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #10907 on: January 20, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
sleep well, Debs!  Feel better!

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10908 on: January 20, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
G'nite Debbie! Sleep well!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10909 on: January 20, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »
Hiya Diners!

Linda's son, Jonathan, posted on Facebook that Linda came through surgery just fine and is in recovery.

Hello Chuck !

Thanks for passing on the good news !

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10910 on: January 20, 2020, 10:45:50 PM »
Phong and I went to his workmate's wedding ceremony yesterday afternoon. K didn't introduce the bride to me. It was the most minimal ceremony. The celebrant read the monitum - the official definition of marriage and had each of them in turn repeat two words at a time their call for us present to witness that they took each other as their lawfully wedded wife/husband. They didn't use the opportunity to make their own personal vows. There was no ring ceremony, no flowers.They did dress up nicely. I felt the couple were treating it as a purely bureaucratic registration procedure, much like the unceremonious filling in and signing forms to legally register a marriage at a District Office in Thailand. The celebrant turned on a recording of the Pachelbel Canon at very low volume while the couple signed the Federal government Marriage Certificate and Phong and a relative (brother?) of the bride signed as witnesses. The celebrant sends the paperwork to the Victorian Births Deaths and Marriages office for it to post the state marriage registration certificate to them some time later. The only other person present was a Thai woman friend (of the bride?) in ripped jeans who wasn't introduced to me. I didn't have a chance to introduce myself to her. There were a few photos of the group taken on mobile phones in the ceremony room and in front of the facade of the building

There was a lunch with just the six of us in a large Thai restaurant in the basement of a hotel in one of the lanes of the city centre. The conversation was entirely in Thai. Although Phong was sitting next to the bride, I don't think she had a conversation with him. I asked Phong what the general conversation was about. He said it was about the visa, but he didn't take the opportunity to ask any questions and find out more about the couple's story. Otherwise they apparently just talked about food. There was no conversation with the bride and groom and me except when K shook hands and thanked me for coming when everybody left straight after the meal and the bride and the others just wai-ed, smiled and said Sawatdee, kap.

It was pouring rain when we left the restaurant.

We spent some hours today for Phong to write his statement on the Statutory Declaration in support of the bride's application for a marriage visa. He wrote what very little he knows and didn't make anything up. He had only the fact that K told him he loves her, that they live together and their appearance as reasons for feeling the relationship is genuine. He speculated that the bride's unforthcomingness is cultural and perhaps out of respect for him a an older man. He thinks that they think that paying the migration agent's $3000 fee will suffice for the visa to be granted. Who knows ?

t will take months after they submit the application.

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10911 on: January 20, 2020, 10:56:56 PM »
Oh, I never posted a pic of my apartment door, after I was finished with it on Saturday.

How welcoming! Is it common in US to decorate your house for Valentine's Day?
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10912 on: January 20, 2020, 10:59:36 PM »
Good morning Tony!

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #10913 on: January 20, 2020, 11:08:50 PM »
Debbie, sorry to hear you' re still ill. I hope your cold is better today.  :)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10914 on: January 21, 2020, 12:44:00 AM »
Hiya Diners!

Linda's son, Jonathan, posted on Facebook that Linda came through surgery just fine and is in recovery.

So glad.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10915 on: January 21, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
Hey y'all, sunny and still cold here, it got down to about 20, but it should slowly start to warm up over the next several days, but still below freezing every night. This is the coldest time of the year for us, after all.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10916 on: January 21, 2020, 10:39:35 AM »
Sunny and cold here too, below freezing at night but not nearly as cold as you!

I have just bought a “new” car, which I’ll get next week. 4 1/2 years old, only 8000 miles. It’s a later model of the Nissan Micra, of which I’ve had 5 (I think!). The advantages are it’s much like my current one which is 11 years old, and I like and trust the dealers who are only 6 miles away.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10917 on: January 21, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
Hey Sara! Good deal!

My car will be 10 this May, the longest I've ever had a car. Driving has gone way down since I stopped commuting, it has about 206,000 miles on it, I bought it new.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10918 on: January 21, 2020, 11:30:18 AM »
G'nite Debbie! Sleep well!

Thanks, Fritz and Chuck.  I did sleep fairly well, but still had a hacking cough that was bringing up yukky stuff.  When I went to take the "final" dose of DayQuil at 11:00 this morning, it turned out to be only one-fourth dose....and the end of the bottle.  So I've been out on an emergency run to the grocery store.

It's cold out, but sunny, and I'm proud that I managed as well as I did.  Didn't stop to brush teeth.  Combed my hair and put a pullover cap on my head, so no one could tell whether or not my hair was dirty.  Tucked my long flannel nightgown into the waistband of some sweat pants, and off I went, and got what I needed.  I'll be going back to bed again after lunch, but am feeling a little better than yesterday.

Got four bottles of DayQuil (enough for a couple of years, I hope  :o) and just took the rest of the 11:00 AM dose, at 1 PM.  I'll have the next dose at around 6 PM, hope that evens out.  Also got 8 packs of small water bottles, 3 packs of V-8 juice, 5 beef-type frozen dinners (but alas, forgot to get any more CPP's).  And got about 9 loaves of Cinnamon Raisin bread, which will go in the freezer.  I opened the last of the older frozen loaves yesterday, so was really getting "down to the wire" on certain types of essential food.

Hope everyone is well, and that Linda is doing well in her recovery.  I have to finish catching up here now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:37:57 AM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10919 on: January 21, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »
Debbie, sorry to hear you' re still ill. I hope your cold is better today.  :)

Thanks, Elisa.  The cold is coming along, I guess, but turning out to be a long one.  At least I just went out to get more medicine, and now will stay inside in the warm house for the rest of the day.
Jack's from Texas.