The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 26875 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »
Bonjour!

It's partly sunny today - hope it lasts.
Ah, SUN!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 07:50:52 AM »
Yeah, they were one of my favorite groups too.

I remember waking up early in the morning in the barracks in El Paso, with a view toward the distant Hueco Mountains in the east, and having their Out In the Country blasting forth from the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gGn6t8Bog
Fritz, my Sister's hubby was stationed in El Paso with the Army, back in 1967? When were you there? I just remember she was totally blown away by how they CLOSED DOWN everything one day when it snowed, like an INCH!! hahaha.........Texas, they don't like SNOW, or Thunderstorms! Specially that Dallas airport!!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 07:52:08 AM »
Not many around here today! I have my volunteer work today, so I've got to scoot out!!

Have a great Tuesday, and remember, it's polling day in the USA for many locales!! Go VOTE!! I do early voting all the time now, much easier!!  ;D

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2019, 07:53:28 AM »
Classic group and perfect harmony too!! Was lucky enough to see them twice in Concert, priceless!!  ;D ;D ;D

Hey Jonn! Yes indeed!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2019, 07:55:34 AM »
Fritz, my Sister's hubby was stationed in El Paso with the Army, back in 1967? When were you there? I just remember she was totally blown away by how they CLOSED DOWN everything one day when it snowed, like an INCH!! hahaha.........Texas, they don't like SNOW, or Thunderstorms! Specially that Dallas airport!!

I was there 1970-71. I remember a bit of snow on the ground one morning in January, we were able to walk to our classrooms as usual, but it was probably less than an inch.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
Not many around here today! I have my volunteer work today, so I've got to scoot out!!

Have a great Tuesday, and remember, it's polling day in the USA for many locales!! Go VOTE!! I do early voting all the time now, much easier!!  ;D

We like to go down to the polling station and run into neighbors and friends there. Of course, being retired helps!

We would frequently drive a neighbor who has difficulty walking, since his wife usually works at the polling place, but she isn't doing that this year, so she'll drive him. Because of conflicting schedules, we can't all go together this time.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2019, 08:57:27 AM »
Hello  Diners!

;D

Nice to see you all followed us to the new location!

;D

For some of our newer members, you may need an explanation.   In the earlier days of the forum, we didn't have limits to the amount of posts a thread could have.  However, as numerous thread reached really high numbers, we found that the forum was performing oddly, moving slowly, posts would appear twice, or not at all.

We started to limit the amount of pages to each thread at 500, and the problem seemed to stop.  Because The Diner was getting so many posts, we let this thread go to 1,000 pages.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 09:01:22 AM »
We had a visitor this morning, a Thai  village woman from the Northeast who was in the first English class Phong attended in Melbourne. She's  5 years younger than he is. She rang when she came to our area today  for a doctor's appointment only to find it closed for the public holiday.

She and her Anglo-Australian husband are divorcing. She's working as a masseuse and living in a container behind the massage parlour. She's applied for a Ministry of Housing house or unit, but the waiting lists are very, very long. She asked Phong to help her get a job at the hotel. Sympathetic as he is he can't do much because people have to apply online and wade through endless documents and sign off on each one. She has had very limited schooling in Thailand, no qualifications and can't read and write English.

A very tough situation for her, Tony, and I agree that there's not much Phong can do to help her.  Sad as that may be.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
Hello new Diner!

glad to be here...  ;)

Glad you could make it, Ingy.  Hope everyone finds it okay.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
Hey Debbie!

Hey Chuck!

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2019, 09:06:35 AM »
Oh yes, remember this one well from back in college.

Moin moin Ingleinchen!

Hey y'all, sunny clear and cool here. Earl has a telephone interview with his health insurance company later this morning, then early afternoon we'll walk over to the school to vote, after lunch hour at a time when the lines should be minimal, not that the lines would be very long on this off-off-year election anyway. The Republicans love having Virginia elections at this time, because fewer voters mean they're more likely to have only their fired-up base show up for the most part. But because of T, things might be different this year, as happened during the last gubernatorial and legislature election in 2017.

Good afternoon, Elena and Elisa.

Good morning, Fritz.

Good morning, Chuck.

Not sure when I'll be voting, there probably won't be time before I leave for the doctor's appointment.  So if I'm not home until almost 4:00, hope the lines won't be too long then.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »

Hi, Jonn.  Have a good day.  You are lucky to be able to do early voting, we can't in PA without a valid absentee excuse (like, out of town for the election).
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
We started to limit the amount of pages to each thread at 500, and the problem seemed to stop.  Because The Diner was getting so many posts, we let this thread go to 1,000 pages.

It's probably one of the fastest-moving threads, or can be at times.

Hope you are doing well today, Chuck.  Enjoy that second day of stay-cation!
Jack's from Texas.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2019, 09:33:48 AM »
We had a visitor this morning, a Thai  village woman from the Northeast who was in the first English class Phong attended in Melbourne. She's  5 years younger than he is. She rang when she came to our area today  for a doctor's appointment only to find it closed for the public holiday.

She and her Anglo-Australian husband are divorcing. She's working as a masseuse and living in a container behind the massage parlour. She's applied for a Ministry of Housing house or unit, but the waiting lists are very, very long. She asked Phong to help her get a job at the hotel. Sympathetic as he is he can't do much because people have to apply online and wade through endless documents and sign off on each one. She has had very limited schooling in Thailand, no qualifications and can't read and write English.

We haven't seen her since Phong has been working at the hotel.

Her ex-husband is not paying he $400 per month he's supposed ( I always felt there was something shonky about him) to and she's also paying for her daughter from a previous marriage to rent a room and studying Bangkok. I seem to recall she used to send money to her mother to support a disabled brother.

Phong gave her some tea and warmed up a plate of black sticky rice for her. She wanted to go to the city to have something done to her eyebrows. We dropped her at a tram stop She suggested we all get together for a meal soon.

We went on to our suburban shopping mall and went to a restaurant there for lunch - fried battered basa and potato chips with a fresh salad.

Hello Tony!   Sounds like your friend is in a touch situation regarding her finances.  I understand why she turned to Phong for help, but that's a rough spot for Phong to be in, having someone turn to him and to be unable to help.

Is she able  to do anything legally about the money she is owed?

I'm getting ready for a Piaf reading this evening (a conference which includes also my piano playing). Think I'm pretty well prepared.

Good luck today, Ingster!  I'm sure you'll do well!!

Hey y'all, sunny clear and cool here. Earl has a telephone interview with his health insurance company later this morning, then early afternoon we'll walk over to the school to vote, after lunch hour at a time when the lines should be minimal, not that the lines would be very long on this off-off-year election anyway. The Republicans love having Virginia elections at this time, because fewer voters mean they're more likely to have only their fired-up base show up for the most part. But because of T, things might be different this year, as happened during the last gubernatorial and legislature election in 2017.

Keep us posted!  I'm interested in hearing the results.

Good morning, new diner! And glad my forum clock is correct again after the week’s difference with the US.

Morning! My forum clock says it's 3 o' clock. Chaos is God's neighbour, as a pretty good poem says.

Seems like everyone is having timing issues since the time-change!  I've still got to figure out how to change the clock on my new car!  :laugh:

I'm  going for a walk today, in a few minutes.  After I come home, have lunch and shower and shave, I'll vote, and then run out to the store for some shopping.

Hope you are doing well today, Chuck.  Enjoy that second day of stay-cation!

I'm doing well, thanks!  Slept well, and did a quick load of dishes and some light cleaning around the apartment.

Time to head out, be back later!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »
Just checking the football schedule for next Saturday, the Duke game will be there, at 7:30 Eastern, but the TV coverage will apparently be only on the ACC Network, I don't think that's on our cable system, have to check.

mod: ACC is affiliated with ABC/ESPN, so I guess I can check the sports listings on Saturday morning, they should have TV coverage of the games then.