The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 26855 times)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #5415 on: December 03, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
We had a great long weekend.

Friday, dinner with friends in Freiburg. (two hours of driving back and forth)

Saturday, fancy dinner with friends for a 75th birthday party close to Cologne (with five hours of driving).

Sunday, a great day - we met other friends from Cologne for museum visits, a walk and a church visit.
Afterwards, very nice advent coffee and chamber music elsewhere. Followed by a visit to the Cologne christmas markets.

Yesterday, we drove to my mom and visited my dad again. And I went to the dentist. (three hours of driving home late in the evening).

We are exhausted, but in a nice way.

Wow ! As stories used to conclude, "Tired, but happy."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:23:26 PM by tfferg »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #5416 on: December 03, 2019, 01:21:56 PM »
Thanks, Tony.

Well, it didn't work out, but such is life.

I'm sorry it turned out so badly. I hope you can get a good sleep and relief now you're home.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5417 on: December 03, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
I'm sorry it turned out so badly. I hope you can get a good sleep and relief now you're home.

Thanks again, Tony.  I put the rest of my sandwich back in the refrigerator and am going to lie down for a while now.  Hoping for the best.  :)
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
  • We're not obsessed, we're just intensely focused!
« Reply #5418 on: December 03, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about the stress test! :( Clearly there was a big misunderstanding and you got left in the lurch. I hope you feel better soon, and I would ask everybody involved to clarify what the Nuclear test requires (and doesn't) before you get there. I also think that when you feel up to it you should talk with the person who ordered the stress test and explain what happened, because it shouldn't have happened. >:(   
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love – time is eternity.

A friend is what the heart needs all the time.

Henry van Dyke

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5419 on: December 03, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
Terrible day.  If Ingy can complain about his weather, I can complain about this day.

Welcome back, Ingy, by the way.

I was feeling bad when I left for the stress test.  Not only a headache, but getting very hungry, which only made it worse.  Almost blindly sick when I got there, but when I told the nurse about the headache, she said go ahead and take the Excedrin Migraine.  Turns out for this Treadmill Stress Test, caffeine wasn't prohibited, or the other Imitrex headache med either....if only I had known.

So they hooked me up to monitors and tried to start the treadmill stress test, but I couldn't do it.  They stopped it "for my safety and theirs" because I would be a danger of falling.  I couldn't take long enough strides in the "test" part, and then it would have gone faster and faster and become more elevated.  I told them about currently getting physical therapy for balance and walking.  The Nurse Practitioner said Get Off.

So they scheduled a Nuclear Stress Test instead, but not until two weeks from today, the 17th of Dec.  At 8:30 AM, because that's when they're all done.  And no caffeine before that one, although my Imitrex would be okay (I think) in case of really bad migraine.  And the Nuclear Test is 4 hours, first an injection and then probably a period of waiting, probably similar to a Nuclear Med brain scan I had this summer.

So, still starving, I left to come home.  Couldn't stop for lunch at Subway because feeling so sick by then, I thought I might throw up.  Now I'm home, slowly eating part of a tuna hoagie which thankfully was in the frig, wrapped up, but won't eat more than a few bites.  Then some Coke and to bed, for a nap I hope.

So all that worrying and effort, and nothing accomplished, nothing checked off the To Do list.  Just more appointments to come.   :(

Darn. Not good.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5420 on: December 03, 2019, 01:42:01 PM »
Thanks, Tony.

Well, it didn't work out, but such is life.

Hey Tony!

I recognize the quote "Such is life" as being from a famous Australian, Ned Kelly.

At least attributed to him, right before he was hanged.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5421 on: December 03, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »
Hey Jenny!

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #5422 on: December 03, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Terrible day.  If Ingy can complain about his weather, I can complain about this day.

You can complain as much as you like - we will always listen to you.

WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5423 on: December 03, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
Welcome back, Ingy, by the way.

Thanks.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5424 on: December 03, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
Wow ! As stories used to conclude, "Tired, but happy."

;)
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5425 on: December 03, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^

What Tony said.

(((Deb)))
WISE UP

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #5426 on: December 03, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Hey Tony!

I recognize the quote "Such is life" as being from a famous Australian, Ned Kelly.

At least attributed to him, right before he was hanged.

Yes, that's right Fritz.

It is also the title of an Australian novel by Joseph Furphy published in 1903, Such is Life: Being Certain Extracts from the Life of Tom Collins. It contains fictional accounts by an unreliable narrator of rural people, including bullock drivers, squatters and itinerants in southern New South Wales and Victoria in the 1880s.

I've had a copy for decades, but I've never got far into it. The style is a mixture of high-falutin language, the Australian slang of the time and attempts to represent a variety of accents which made it too heavy going for me. Wiki tells us the subjects included in the tall tales include among many others: passing as the opposite sex, homosexuality among bullock drivers and effeminacy.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #5427 on: December 03, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
Furphy is Australian slang for a false or improbable story, heard second- or third-hand and widely believed, at least until the facts were established.

The writer Joseph Furphy was known at the time as his fictional character, Tom Collins. His brother, John Collins invented a steel water tank mounted on a horse-drawn cart in the 1880s. The company name was painted prominently on them. They were used by farmers and stock agents, and during World War I, they were used for soldiers fighting at Gallipoli where men would gather round them and share information.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:50:59 PM by tfferg »

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5428 on: December 03, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
Debbie, couldn't see the moon for days, now the half-moon is visible in clear skies.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5429 on: December 03, 2019, 03:04:11 PM »
Furphy is Australian slang for a false or improbable story, heard second- or third-hand and widely believed, at least until the facts were established.

The writer Joseph Furphy was known at the time as his fictional character, Tom Collins. His brother, John Collins invented a steel water tank mounted on a horse-drawn cart in the 1880s. The company name was painted prominently on them. They were used by farmers and stock agents, and during World War I, they were used for soldiers fighting at Gallipoli where men would gather round them and share information.

Didn't know that, thanks!