The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 26854 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
I expect that, had there not been that loss to Michigan, the game would be on a more major network.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2019, 11:00:59 AM »
So, we'll be heading out to vote in a little bit, see y'all later!

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
My, unbusy!

Just got back, no line at all, though the people at the polling place said there had been a good number of people earlier, and the majority of people come by on their way home from work.

We stopped and chatted with a couple of neighbors on the way home. (including Louise, Ing!)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »
*waves*

Hello everyone!

Just got back from a quick shopping trip, and voting.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
My, unbusy!

Just got back, no line at all, though the people at the polling place said there had been a good number of people earlier, and the majority of people come by on their way home from work.

Unbusy here, because everyone is busy elsewhere!

I had no line at my voting location either, however, the people running the polling location said it was busier than it was the last cycle.  They said last time, they had under 30 voters show up.  Today (as of 2:00, they had almost 130 people show up to vote at that location.

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
I' m really curious about these elections. Today voting seems more important than ever. It's nice that  you keep us updated.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:26:27 PM by Elisiv05 »
You know somebody name a Jack?

"She is too fond of books and it has turned
her brain."

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
I'm getting ready for a Piaf reading this evening (a conference which includes also my piano playing). Think I'm pretty well prepared.

Bonjour Ingy, Est-ce que tu vas chanter aussi?

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
The polls here in VA close at 7 pm (0100 CET), and the results of most of the races should be known a few hours after that. Of course there's the possibility that after all the votes are counted, as happened here twice in 2017, the vote is exactly even, and they have to decide the result by a coin toss.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
I' m really curious about these selections. Today voting seems more important than ever. It's nice that  you keep us updated.

Hello Elisa.

The  elections are more of a local/state event today, instead of national.   From a NJ website:

The entire state Assembly is up for grabs and a handful of municipal and school votes have sparked interest, but the safest political bet on Election Day 2019 is, the attention of most voters will be trained elsewhere.

New Jersey voters, the vast majority of them anyway, will be looking forward to the 2020 presidential election or the 2021 gubernatorial election, instead of Tuesday's shortened ballot, Montclair State University professor Brigid Callahan Harrison said.

"This is an embodiment of an off-year election," she said, noting that Republicans and Democrats are only paying attention to a few battleground districts. "This is a low-interest, low-turnout election. It's tough to get people out to the polls when you see the national spotlight overshadowing everything."

Pocketbook issues, growth and development debates, and a didn't-see-it-coming school board candidacy will drive some Shore voters to the polls, but history suggests they will have plenty of elbow room.

Historically, New Jersey voter turnout is at its lowest during elections in which the Assembly is at the top of the ticket, between 22% and 32% since 2007. During presidential elections, about 67% to 73% of New Jersey voters head to the polls. In gubernatorial races, 39% to 47% of voters cast ballots.

"Overall, I think everyone is waiting with bated breath for this election to be over," Harrison said.

All 80 seats in the Assembly — which is currently made up of 54 Democrats and 26 Republicans — are up during the 2019 election. Assembly terms last two years.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/elections/2019/10/31/new-jersey-election-day-2019-nov-5-assembly-monmouth-ocean/3932492002/

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
Same here, all seats in the House of Delegates (lower house, 100) and State Senate (40) are being voted on here in Virginia, as well as County Board and a number of other county offices. Same is true all over the state.

The Republicans have a slight majority in both houses, and after this election we hope both change.

Except for the state senate and the county board, the other candidates (Sheriff, Commonwealth's Attorney, Treasurer, Commissioner of Revenue, School Board) are running unopposed, and this area has been a Democratic stronghold for many decades.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »
Same here, all seats in the House of Delegates (lower house, 100) and State Senate (40) are being voted on here in Virginia, as well as County Board and a number of other county offices. Same is true all over the state.

The Republicans have a slight majority in both houses, and after this election we hope both change.

Except for the state offices and the county board, the other candidates are running unopposed, and this area has been a Democratic stronghold for many decades.

Good luck tipping the scales!   I hope we keep the majority here.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
Interestingly, there's only one person running as a Republican (state senate), the other candidates are calling themselves independent, though many used to be Republican.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »
Hello Tony!   Sounds like your friend is in a touch situation regarding her finances.  I understand why she turned to Phong for help, but that's a rough spot for Phong to be in, having someone turn to him and to be unable to help.

Hello Chuck !

Her ex is 66. I don't know if he is still working or retired. I think she could go back to the Family Court. I have heard of cases where a defaulting ex has the money garnisheed from his wages especially for the support of his child/ren, but this couple don't have children together. I don't know enough about divorce and how the Family Court deals with this kind of issues.

I had a friend who divorced his wife. The court ordered that he could have regular days with his little daughter, but his ex-wife wouldn't obey the order. She went into a relationship with another man. I think my friend might have just had to give up. Some time later, he remarried and moved to subtropical Brisbane where he can lmore comfortably after a back injury. He has two sons with his second wife who seems a much nicer person. He wanted us to move up there too and offered to help us find a house to buy. I haven't heard from him for a couple of years. I hope they're okay.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
Interestingly, there's only one person running as a Republican (state senate), the other candidates are calling themselves independent, though many used to be Republican.

Interesting.....have they stated why?