The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 53290 times)

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »
Hello Elisa.

The  elections are more of a local/state event today, instead of national.   From a NJ website:

The entire state Assembly is up for grabs and a handful of municipal and school votes have sparked interest, but the safest political bet on Election Day 2019 is, the attention of most voters will be trained elsewhere.

New Jersey voters, the vast majority of them anyway, will be looking forward to the 2020 presidential election or the 2021 gubernatorial election, instead of Tuesday's shortened ballot, Montclair State University professor Brigid Callahan Harrison said.

"This is an embodiment of an off-year election," she said, noting that Republicans and Democrats are only paying attention to a few battleground districts. "This is a low-interest, low-turnout election. It's tough to get people out to the polls when you see the national spotlight overshadowing everything."

Pocketbook issues, growth and development debates, and a didn't-see-it-coming school board candidacy will drive some Shore voters to the polls, but history suggests they will have plenty of elbow room.

Historically, New Jersey voter turnout is at its lowest during elections in which the Assembly is at the top of the ticket, between 22% and 32% since 2007. During presidential elections, about 67% to 73% of New Jersey voters head to the polls. In gubernatorial races, 39% to 47% of voters cast ballots.

"Overall, I think everyone is waiting with bated breath for this election to be over," Harrison said.

All 80 seats in the Assembly — which is currently made up of 54 Democrats and 26 Republicans — are up during the 2019 election. Assembly terms last two years.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/elections/2019/10/31/new-jersey-election-day-2019-nov-5-assembly-monmouth-ocean/3932492002/
Even if  they' re local they must give us some little hint of where the wind is blowing... For the moment, anyway. Thanks for a thorough explanation.
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
  • We're not obsessed, we're just intensely focused!
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
Hello Fritz, Chuck, and Elisa. :) As soon as NJ made mail-in ballots an option my husband and I requested them. They make sure that we will not forget to go to the polls--though we were pretty good about that before. They also spare us long lines or molasses-slow poll workers, and we feel fairly confident that our votes will be registered correctly. For this election it reminded me to research the School board candidates, as only 3 out of 4 will win seats. The public question is pretty self-explanatory and I like the Assembly and County incumbents. All in all it's a quick and rather dull ballot, but we always vote if we can.
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love – time is eternity.

A friend is what the heart needs all the time.

Henry van Dyke

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Even if  they' re local they must give us some little hint of where the wind is blowing... For the moment, anyway. Thanks for a thorough explanation.

ask not for whom the wind blows.......  ;)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
Sleep well, Debs!

I was asleep by 9:30 last night!
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2019, 01:59:21 PM »
Hello Fritz, Chuck, and Elisa. :) As soon as NJ made mail-in ballots an option my husband and I requested them. They make sure that we will not forget to go to the polls--though we were pretty good about that before. They also spare us long lines or molasses-slow poll workers, and we feel fairly confident that our votes will be registered correctly. For this election it reminded me to research the School board candidates, as only 3 out of 4 will win seats. The public question is pretty self-explanatory and I like the Assembly and County incumbents. All in all it's a quick and rather dull ballot, but we always vote if we can.

Hello Jenny!   How are you today?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2019, 02:01:09 PM »
Hello new Diner!

glad to be here...  ;)

Glad you made it, Ingy!! ❤️
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
They've changed the voting sticker this year, first time in many years.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
*waves to Sara*

My forum clock is correct and has never been 'wrong' in the past. But I'm also glad to be back to the normal time difference with our US fellows here.

Oh, but it makes you one hour closer for that week!!
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »
I set mine to UK time, but didn’t change it for that one week. Luckily I can can look at my iPad clock for Australia, as those changes are more complicated!

I have a world clock on my phone and have saved all the locations of all the diners. This makes it easy.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
Interesting.....have they stated why?

The Republican party had and still has a very poor reputation around here. Back when Arlington was a Republican stronghold in the 60's and 70's, they supported massive resistance to desegregation (they were former Dixiecrats), and that reputation has never quite left them after the population of this area shifted. Arlington was losing population like in the District until the turn of the century approximately, but since then both jurisdictions have gained in population quite a bit.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
I'm getting ready for a Piaf reading this evening (a conference which includes also my piano playing). Think I'm pretty well prepared.

I hope it goes very well for you. But I know it will. You are always very good!
Call Me By Your Name

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
Hey Jenny!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
The Republican party had and still has a very poor reputation around here. Back when Arlington was a Republican stronghold in the 60's and 70's, they supported massive resistance to desegregation (they were former Dixiecrats), and that reputation has never quite left them after the population of this area shifted. Arlington was losing population like in the District until the turn of the century approximately, but since then both jurisdictions have gained in population quite a bit.

Ah, I see.

Thanks!

Hello Auntie!