The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 41  (Read 53340 times)

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 41
« Reply #10320 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:33 PM »
Good night, everyone.  I'll be winding down here now.

See you tomorrow, Fritz.  PT is at 1:30 so I might be in here briefly before that.

Linda, I hope you are resting and staying calm.  I understand just how you feel:  you've been wanting this so much, but now that the time is drawing near, there's some anxiety.  I hope it helps to focus on the positive outcome that you've been looking forward to.  Sleep well.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10321 on: January 13, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
Good luck with the re-schedule!

Thanks, Chuck.  I thought you had gone to bed, but since you haven't:  Good Night to you, too.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10322 on: January 13, 2020, 08:46:43 PM »
G'nite Debbie, nothing on the schedule tomorrow for either of us.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10323 on: January 13, 2020, 09:49:19 PM »
Way exciting game! Geaux LSU!

(Didn't turn on the TV till Earl went upstairs, but I've been following it on the WaPo site)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10324 on: January 13, 2020, 09:57:15 PM »
Good night, everyone.  I'll be winding down here now.

See you tomorrow, Fritz.  PT is at 1:30 so I might be in here briefly before that.

Linda, I hope you are resting and staying calm.  I understand just how you feel:  you've been wanting this so much, but now that the time is drawing near, there's some anxiety.  I hope it helps to focus on the positive outcome that you've been looking forward to.  Sleep well.

Thanks Debbie.

Well I was, but a large glass fronted picture collage of Josh and his family fell off the wall and GLASS GOT EVERYWHERE. This happened about an hour and a half ago, so I just sat back down from moving everything, sweeping the glass up, then vacuuming everything, and then putting everything back where it belongs. UGH!!!

So I'm only about half way through the first quarter of the championship game. I probably won't finish it tonight.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10325 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
Ah, then I won't breathe a word! Heading up soon, g'nite Linda!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10326 on: January 14, 2020, 12:28:50 AM »
Sorry I missed you yesterday. I've kinda been internalized lately. It's getting close to the surgery and I'm trying to get errands run and mentally making lists of things I need to take to the hospital, etc etc.

I'm trying not to think of it, but I'm getting a little apprehensive about the surgery and the after effects. I mentally know I've been working towards this for a long time, but I'm just concerned. I can only hope everything goes well and that I'll be able to handle it all ok.

Hello Linda !

Naturally you are feeling concerned as the date of your operation is closer. I would be in your position.

Know aa number of people who have had knee and/or hip replacement operations and they outcome has been good for all of them. They did not have complications. One woman was able to play tennis again and my post-grad lecturer was swimming at Coogee Beach in Sydney soon after her operation.

I'll be thinking of you  and hoping all goes well on the day and afterwards.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10327 on: January 14, 2020, 12:33:50 AM »
:laugh:

Oh, that took some time!
I'll bet it did, Chuck ! A big job. Well done !

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #10328 on: January 14, 2020, 01:09:34 AM »
Phong put in an application for his annual leave and probably some leave without pay beginning on 6 May. A manager told him to go ahead and book tickets. He's been telling me to find out about them. I woke up about 4am with my mind mulling over trying to plan our itinerary because he knows so little about the places he wants to go. I got him some Lonely Planet guides to look through, but he hasn't come up with anything.

I read up some pages from them and went back to bed after a couple of hours.

After breakfast, I asked Phong if he wanted to go to the Thai Airways office in the city. He eventually decided he did and we discussed his latest ideas for a schedule. We'll have a shorter time in Europe than we planned before because he wants to spend five days in Bangkok and a couple of weeks in the village with family, especially because of hid dad's bouts of illness. Phong says once both parents die, families tend to go their own ways.

When we got on the tram, I discovered I didn't have enough money on my myki so we got off a few stops later so I could go to a shop to top it up. There are often inspectors on that route. The fines are hefty. Phong decided he was hungry. We looked at the menu in the window of a newish local cafe we haven't tried and decided on a falafel salad with a poached egg - nothing at all like the usual Levantine falafel wraps. Phong enjoyed it.

We went into the city and couldn't find Thai Airways. Last year they moved across the street while the old building they were in was renovated, but the temporary office has disappeared and there were no signs in the refurbished building or across the street telling where they've moved to. Phong tried phoning but just got stuck in an endless queue. I suggested he ask the people at the agency where he sends money to Thailand and they suggested a bank building a block further west. We found the office on the 21st floor.

The Thai consultant who has arranged our bookings in the past several years was out to lunch. Another consultant who doesn't speak Thai came up with tickets for $2100 each, but said we could get them cheaper if we booked online. Phong was reluctant to do that because he wasn't confident he could get all the information he wants and do the seat allocations and so on. He decided to wait for Penny to come back. She suggested flying out of Melbourne a day later - which would also give Phong two days after he finishes work to get ready. We'd have an overnight stay in Bangkok. She came up with tickets of $1606 each. (We have paid as much at other times of year for just return tickets to Bangkok). So he decided to book them.

We went four blocks to get cash from the bank so we wouldn't waste money on the fees they charge for using a credit card. Penny booked everything and gave Phong some hints about using loyalty card points before they expire in June and September.

As I suspected, the new office is smaller and has fewer staff. Penny says all the airlines are doing the same thing as more and more people do everything online.

I feel our time in Europe will be rushed. Phong wants to see something of Europe before we get too old. It will be years before he might become eligible for long-service leave.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:27:41 AM by tfferg »

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10329 on: January 14, 2020, 02:18:50 AM »
Now I've been doing mail and bills, for quite a while.

And I'm ABOUT to wash my hair!  I've been "about to" for several hours.   ::)

I’ve woken up “about to”! But now finishing a late breakfast and it hasn’t happened yet...
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10330 on: January 14, 2020, 02:20:50 AM »
Where are you going in Europe, Tony?
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #10331 on: January 14, 2020, 02:21:34 AM »
Hi Debbie

Yes. Phong is one of the "worried well".

Has he always been an anxious person?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10332 on: January 14, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
Hey y'all! Cloudy and still fairly mild here, and drizzle off and on all day it look like.

I guess Linda would know about the result of the game by now. Geaux LSU Tigers! After the game I called my sister and b-i-l, they're in Clemson country, but they were watching the game by themselves rather than with neighbors, so they were able to root and yell as they wanted to. After Earl went upstairs I turned the sound on the TV so was able to watch the last quarter and some. Very exciting game!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #10333 on: January 14, 2020, 08:05:13 AM »
Hey Sara!

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #10334 on: January 14, 2020, 08:26:33 AM »
Hey y'all! Cloudy and still fairly mild here, and drizzle off and on all day it look like.

I guess Linda would know about the result of the game by now. Geaux LSU Tigers! After the game I called my sister and b-i-l, they're in Clemson country, but they were watching the game by themselves rather than with neighbors, so they were able to root and yell as they wanted to. After Earl went upstairs I turned the sound on the TV so was able to watch the last quarter and some. Very exciting game!

Good morning, Fritz!

Congratulations!  Thanks for indicating the score (or at least, the winner).

Crazy morning here, I didn't feel well around 5 AM, got up to play a computer game but ended up on Customer Support line with Electronic Arts (owner of POGO) at 6 AM and they did resolve the problem; played a game, went back to bed/sleep, was woken up by my PT therapist at 8 AM who wanted me to come in earlier today.  I changed PT from 1:30 to 11:30 and am feeling well enough to go, I hope, but still have to get dressed, so no time to chat, SYL.
Jack's from Texas.