The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet January - March 2020  (Read 1857 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
The Daily Sheet January - March 2020
« on: January 06, 2020, 04:36:41 PM »

Tuesday, January 7th, 2020

The Forum & SSL - Secure Socket Layer

Hello UBF members.  When the forum had a recent update, our server began using SSL - Secure Socket Layer.  SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers.

It is easy to tell if a site you are using is on SSL.  A site without SSL will have an address that starts with http://.  A site that uses SSL will start with https://.

Why are we telling you this?  Because if you are posting pictures here, and the address you use doesn't have the "s" in it, the image will not show.  Anytime you post an image, you should make sure that it starts with https://

Heath Ledger Tribute in “Joker”

David James of We Got This Covered is definitely one of those giving Joaquin Phoenix high praise for his role as Arthur Fleck in Joker, but the tribute to Heath Ledger is something that a lot of people obviously missed, and yes, I missed it too since I wasn’t looking. But the back of an ambulance that looks like the crazed smile of Heath Ledger’s Joker was apparently a tribute that was meant to pay homage to the actor that revolutionized the role and made it possible for so many to start comparing anyone that steps into the role to him in a way that many might never measure up to, including Phoenix. Jared Leto had a hard time it would appear since he came on the heels of Ledger’s performance and simply tried to hard to reinvent the character. Joaquin Phoenix has been praised thus far for playing the role as a mentally disturbed individual that has a condition that makes him laugh uncontrollably even if it’s not the right time for such a thing. For Ledger it was something that was just flat out crazy as the character loved every second of his madness and didn’t wax poetic, philosophical, or even say ‘woe is me’. Perhaps that’s the biggest reason that the Joker character is so polarizing, everyone has their favorite version and isn’t willing to budge when it comes to just who took the role to the extreme.

The other problem is that each movie that’s depicted the Joker with a different actor has a different theme. For Batman, Jack Nicholson was more playful even if he was vicious. He had more of an old-school sense of humor to him as people were expecting. He was still pretty brutal but he was more or less the kind of Joker that was out to make a point and then, once that point was made, he would kill someone. Jared Leto made the Joker into a kind of slick, gangster character that just didn’t feel right, and Ledge gave the clown prince a touch of chaos that was absolutely brilliant. Maybe it’s because Phoenix’s version is for the most part a delusional nut that he doesn’t measure up for some people. But the tribute in Joker is so small and so quick that missing it is the easy part, it’s rewinding and catching it that a lot of people might find hard to do since it’s a there and gone kind of thing. Making it any bigger or obvious though would likely take away from the movie and give people more of a reason to compare Ledger to Phoenix and vice versa. The Joker is a character that offers a lot of leeway thankfully since most of what a person has to do is act mentally disturbed and very much out of your mind. For some this is very easy and for others it’s actually difficult.

Heath Ledger Tribute in “Joker”

UMC Announces Plan to Split Over Same-Sex Marriage

A group of leaders of the United Methodist Church, the second-largest Protestant denomination in the United States, announced on Friday a plan that would formally split the church, citing “fundamental differences” over same-sex marriage after years of division.

The plan would sunder a denomination with 13 million members globally — roughly half of them in the United States — and create at least one new “traditionalist Methodist” denomination that would continue to ban same-sex marriage as well as the ordination of gay and lesbian clergy.

It seems likely that the majority of the denomination’s churches in the United States would remain in the existing United Methodist Church, which would become a more liberal-leaning institution as conservative congregations worldwide depart.

A separation in the Methodist church, a denomination long home to a varied mix of left and right, had been brewing for years, if not decades. It had become widely seen as likely after a contentious general conference in St. Louis last February, when 53 percent of church leaders and lay members voted to tighten the ban on same-sex marriage, declaring that “the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.”

UMC Announces Plan to Split Over Same-Sex Marriage

James Corden, "The Prom", and Internet Anger

The Tony-nominated Broadway show The Prom revolves around a lesbian high school student who is denied permission to bring a female date to prom. 

Although Netflix had already confirmed that a film adaptation directed by Ryan Murphy was in the works, on January 3 it announced on Twitter: “Ryan Murphy directs this story of a lesbian teenager who’s banned from attending the big dance with her girlfriend.  The injustice prompts a cast of Broadway eccentrics to descend on the small Indiana town to fight back.  Meryl Streep, James Corden & Nicole Kidman star.”

The Christmas special of BBC comedy Gavin and Stacey, which Corden both starred in and co-wrote with Ruth Jones, divided viewers over the unnecessary inclusion of a homophobic slur in The Pogues’ song ‘Fairytale of New York’.  Corden has not acknowledged or apologised for the use of the slur, but the lyrics were defended by the BBC.  A BBC spokesperson told Metro: “‘Fairytale of New York’ is a very popular, much-loved Christmas song played widely throughout the festive season, and the lyrics are well-established with the audience.”

Still reeling from the inclusion of the slur on Christmas Day, the announcement that Netflix has cast Corden in an LGBT+ film has further angered LGBT+ people online.

James Corden, "The Prom", and Internet Anger

Stacy London Comes Out As Bisexual

Former "What Not to Wear" host and TODAY Style contributor Stacy London is opening up about her relationship status in a new Instagram post Tuesday after a tweet about her love life went viral more than a week ago.

"NOT THAT IT’S ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS BUT... I may as well address all the stuff I hear floating around out there," wrote the 50-year-old fashion and style expert.  She goes on to explain that for her, the past year has been filled with ups and downs, referencing her "unforeseen health issues" and her struggle with grief.

"But as with most of life, there has been such incredible joy as well and the person most responsible for that is @catyezbak, who is my girlfriend and has been for over a year," reveals London in the caption accompanying 11 photos of her and Yezbak.

The acknowledgment comes after a Twitter user shared two photos of London and Yezbak in a tweet that has since garnered over 59,000 likes and over 7,000 retweets.

"The Truth About Style" author says that she decided to go public with her new relationship with Yezbak for a couple of reasons.

Stacy London Comes Out As Bisexual

Transgender Community Activist Shot, Killed

A transgender man was shot to death in Oklahoma this week, and police said they're searching for a suspect.  The body of Dustin Parker, 25, was found Wednesday in the driver's seat of a taxi in the city of McAlester, Sgt. Preston Rodgers of the McAlester Police Department told ABC News on Friday.  The cab had several bullet holes, Rodgers added.

Police do not yet know if Parker's killing was motivated by the fact he's transgender, but they are asking anyone with information to come forward.  Parker is believed to be the first transgender person killed in 2020, according to the Human Rights Campaign. In 2019, at least 25 transgender or gender non-conforming people were killed in the U.S., according to the LGBTQ advocacy group.  Parker worked as a cab driver for Rover Taxi, according to the company.

Brian West, owner of Rover Taxi and a friend of Parker's, said the community has been devastated by his loss.  "He was a bright, young individual with a lot of potential," West told ABC News. "He could light up a room. He knew everybody, everybody knew him. He just, I think, he touched a lot of lives in our community."

Parker was a prominent member of the LGBTQ community in McAlester, a city about 130 miles southeast of Oklahoma City.

Transgender Community Activist Shot, Killed

15 Non-Binary Celebrities to Keep an Eye on in 2020

Shortly before the new year began, the Merriam-Webster dictionary announced its official Word of the Year to be the singular pronoun “they.”

Pronouns they/them are used to refer to non-binary people—that is, those who identify with or express a gender identity that is neither entirely male nor entirely female. An underrepresented part of the broader LGBTQ+ community, non-binary folks challenge gender stereotypes associating this identity with androgyny.

Being non-binary doesn’t necessarily mean being androgynous. In the same way, non-binary people don’t have to comply with the traditional idea of what androgynous should even look like. To celebrate 2019’s Word of the Year, we’ve put together a non-exhaustive list of genderqueer celebrities to keep an eye on in 2020.

Rapper YG Renounces Homophobic Views

Rapper YG started the decade by declaring himself a new LGBTQ ally.  The 29-year-old “Toot It and Boot It” performer kicked off the new year with a tweet renouncing old homophobic views.

“It’s been brought to my attention that my old views on life was ignorant,” he wrote. “i apologize to the LGBTQ kommunity for ever komin across like i was anything but respectful and accepting. Live. Love. Ya Life. Gang!”

Notably, the tweet comes after a public relationship between YG and bisexual performer Kehlani.

YG hasn’t been engaged in any particular scandal about homophobia, though plenty of people he worked closely with have gotten into trouble for stating beefs with LGBTQ people.

Megan Thee Stallion last year issued a public apology for old tweets where she used the word “faggot” as an insult. After a 2011 tweet went viral, she wrote on Twitter that such language was no longer part of her vocabulary, as reported by XXL.

“I’ve already apologized for tweets that obviously do not represent my views now. I don’t do nothing but show love to everyone so just stop,” she wrote.

Rapper YG Renounces Homophobic Views

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Daily Sheet January - March 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 04:51:59 PM »

Tuesday, January 14th, 2020

Hello UBF members.  When the forum had a recent update, our server began using SSL - Secure Socket Layer.  SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers.

It is easy to tell if a site you are using is on SSL.  A site without SSL will have an address that starts with http://.  A site that uses SSL will start with https://.

Why are we telling you this?  Because if you are posting pictures here, and the address you use doesn't have the "s" in it, the image will not show.  Anytime you post an image, you should make sure that it starts with https://

'Streets of Laredo': Larry McMurtry

There was no plan to revisit the sequels after re-reading Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove" a few months ago.  Yet, last week, "Streets of Laredo," McMurtry's first follow-up to his Pulitzer Prize-winning epic Western, slid easily enough off the book shelf.  McMurtry would write two more related books the "Lonesome Dove" prequels, "Dead Man's Walk" and "Comanche Moon."

But "Laredo" is set in the years after "Lonesome Dove." McMurtry killed off a whole cast of characters before the last page of "Lonesome Dove." He lets readers know early in "Streets of Laredo" he's killed off a few more between the two books.

Here, Capt. Woodrow Call, the legendary former Texas Ranger, has given up his Montana ranch to return to Texas as a bounty hunter. Viewed as a hard man in "Lonesome Dove," he's regularly referred to as a killer of bad men in "Streets of Laredo."

Here, the aging Call is hired to hunt down a violent, young train robber. Pea Eye, one of his former rangers, has married Lorena, the young prostitute from "Lonesome Dove" who is now a mother of five and a school teacher.

'Streets of Laredo': Larry McMurtry

Gay Men’s Chorus Holds Protest

The fallout continues from what the Pioneer Valley Gay Men’s Chorus has said was a “disinviting” by Bishop Mitchell Rozanski of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield to participate in a Dec. 15 concert at St. Theresa of Lisieux Church in South Hadley.

The chorus posted photos on its Facebook page of what it called a “Demonstration in Song” at the diocesan cathedral church of St. Michael’s yesterday, Jan. 11, with participants holding signs with such statements as “Mary wants ALL of her children to sing” and “You Shall Love Your Neighbor As Yourself.”

Members of the chorus, which dates to 1993 and has done concerts throughout the area, told the Northampton Daily Gazette and other media that two weeks before the event in which they said they had been invited to perform and were in rehearsal for, the group was informed Rozanski would not allow them to participate.

They attributed the decision to a least one complaint that followed publicity showing the chorus a participant in “Lessons & Carols” along with the choirs of St. Theresa, Granby’s Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish and with “voices from South Hadley and Granby churches.”

Gay Men’s Chorus Holds Protest

Lesbian Couples and Divorce

Lesbian couples are far more likely to get a divorce than gay men, accounting for around three quarters of divorces between same-sex couples in the UK.  The same trend was also seen in the Netherlands, the very first country to introduce same-sex marriage in 2001. In the last ten years, 15 per cent of marriages between two men failed, compared with 30 percent between two women.

Lisa Power, one of the co-founders of Stonewall, told The Economist that the number of lesbian couples getting divorced might have something to do with the tendency to move very fast and quickly invest in a relationship, otherwise known as U-hauling.   Power added: “We all used to move in with each other at the drop of a hat.”

Looking at statistics for opposite-sex couples could also provide an explanation, as overall women are much more likely to instigate divorce proceedings than men, with two thirds initiated by women in the last ten years.

Lesbian Couples and Divorce

Vans’ New Bisexual Valentine’s Day Sneakers

Vans, the skateboarding apparel company, has just released two sneakers that give off definite queer vibes, just as Valentine’s Day makes its gradual approach.

The company’s I HEART SK8-HIs and I HEART SLIP-ONs both have “I ♥ BOYS, I ♥ GIRLS” printed on them, and several of their styles for infants, toddlers, and children feature velcro straps and hearts in every color of the rainbow.

It’s true that many shoe companies like Adidas, Nike, and Reebok have all released rainbow-colored sneakers in the past, but they usually do so during Pride month and almost never include hearts in their designs.

Vans has also released Pride sneakers in the past. Their 2019 Pride collection not only included slip-on and high-top sneakers with the word “love” written on them in multiple languages and colors, but they also donated $50,000 that year to The Trevor Project, the LGBTQ youth suicide prevention organization.

Vans also has other rainbow-colored footwear available in their store.

Vans’ New Bisexual Valentine’s Day Sneakers

Transgender Men and Menstruation

When transgender model and activist Kenny Ethan Jones experienced his first period, he faced both physical and psychological pain. Initially, Jones, who had not yet come out as trans at the time, felt like he was losing control and didn’t understand what was happening to his body. However, one thing was clear: He didn’t feel like himself.

“I didn’t believe that having periods would be a part of my lived experience,” Jones told NBC News. “I felt isolated; everything about periods was tailored to girls, yet me, a boy, was experiencing this and nothing in the world documented that.”

He currently experiences a wide range of challenges with his monthly bleeding, especially when it comes to getting his hands on menstrual hygiene products.

“Having a period already causes me a lot of [gender] dysphoria, but this dysphoria becomes heightened when I have to shop for a product that is labeled as ‘women’s health’ and in most cases, is pretty and pink,” Jones explained.

Some transgender and gender-nonconforming people who menstruate, like Jones, say when the products are categorized as women’s products, they can feel alienated — and may even avoid purchasing them altogether.

Transgender Men and Menstruation

She's 7 and Was Born Intersex

Seven-year-old Rosie Lohman loves arts and crafts (especially any involving glitter), currently wants to be a DJ when she grows up, and happens to have been born intersex.  Intersex is an umbrella term used to describe people born with bodies that are perceived as differing from typical "male" and "female" categories.

She had two X chromosomes, so doctors considered her female, but she had external anatomy that appeared more traditionally male.

"It was me who noticed," her father, Eric Lohman, said. "The nurse picked her up and showed her to us and I saw her body right away and noticed that she had what looked like a small penis."   "I knew that surgeries were common for intersex kids, but I didn't really understand how it would work," Eric said. "And so, my fear at the time was that they were going to take Rosie out of the room, and they were going to suggest doing the surgery right away".

The couple had reservations about doing elective surgery on Rosie before she had the ability to have a say in the matter, but they decided to hear out the surgeons' arguments.  Rosie's mother, Stephani Lohman, said she felt extremely pressured by the surgeons to consent to surgery even after she voiced her concerns about the procedure, including the evidence that these surgeries can have devastating side effects including a loss of sexual function, psychological trauma and life-long pain.

She's 7 and Was Born Intersex

Iconic LGBTQ Ally John Lewis Has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

On the precipice of a new year, a new decade, terrible news about the five-decades strong civil rights icon John Lewis broke Twitter. On Dec. 29, Georgia Rep. John Lewis —the hero of the March 7, 1965 “Bloody Sunday” march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge to win voting rights for America’s Black citizens — announced that he has been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

“I have been in some kind of fight – for freedom, equality, basic human rights – for nearly my entire life. I have never faced a fight quite like the one I have now,” Lewis said in a statement. “So I have decided to do what I know to do and do what I have always done: I am going to fight it and keep fighting for the Beloved Community. We still have many bridges to cross.”

Lewis is a longtime LGBTQ ally. On May 17, 2019, for instance, he compared the profound Brown v Board of Education desegregation decision issued by the Supreme Court on May 17, 1954 to the need to pass the Equality Act, the LGBTQ civil rights bill.

“Today, on this day, we have an opportunity to send a message now to help end discrimination in our country and set all of our people free,” Lewis said on the House floor when the Equality Act was introduced.

Iconic LGBTQ Ally John Lewis Has Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

Tuesday, January 21st, 2020

Were Heath Ledger And Joaquin Phoenix Friends?

It’s been an exciting start to the 2020 awards season. As the Academy Awards draw closer, Joaquin Phoenix’s eponymous role in Joker is revealing itself to be a favorite. At the SAG Awards on Jan. 19, 2020, the actor took home the award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor In A Leading Role. And during his speech, he paid tribute to the late Heath Ledger. How close were the two actors? Let’s find out.

There have been plenty of different film interpretations of Batman and the DC villains who challenge him over the years. Legendary film and radio star Cesar Romero did so back in 1966, Jack Nicholson took on the role in the 1989 movie Batman, and, more recently, Jared Leto played the character in Suicide Squad.

But only two actors are hailed for their more *ahem* serious takes on the mysterious foe. First, in 2008’s The Dark Knight, Ledger brought an entirely new perspective to Joker. Now, over a decade later, critics and audiences are hailing Phoenix for doing something similar.

Backing up a bit, during the 2006 awards season, the two actors were both nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. Ledger was up for his role in Brokeback Mountain, while Phoenix was nominated for portraying Johnny Cash in Walk the Line. They were seen spending time together at the SAG Awards and the Oscars.

Both lost out to the late Philip Seymour Hoffman at the awards shows, but it looks like they took the opportunity to become friendly with one another.

Were Heath Ledger And Joaquin Phoenix Friends?

Rescinding 1996 Anti-Gay Resolution

Twenty-four years ago, the Greenville County Council passed a resolution, with three members opposed, condemning homosexuality as incompatible with their community values.  Today, an Upstate group representing members of Greenville County's LGBTQ community say it is time for the current County Council to reverse that action.

Terena Starks, the diversity officer for Upstate Pride, together with the board of her organization sent an open letter on Thursday to every member of County Council. The letter, which is posted on the organization's website, also links to a change.org petition, which by late Friday had drawn more than 1,200 signatures.  Upstate Pride has gotten more active over the past year, most notably with the Upstate Pride Festival last summer.

The group's request, backed by more than 20 other LGBTQ groups in the region, comes in the wake last summer of the city of Greenville agreeing to explore a local hate-crime law and Starks approaching County Council in November to do the same. At the time, County Councilman Ennis Fant asked the county attorney to draft an ordinance to present to the county's public safety committee, but the council has not yet voted on such an ordinance.

Rescinding 1996 Anti-Gay Resolution

Sabrina Haake Running For Congress in Indiana

An out gay Democrat running in Mike Pence’s home state may sound like a challenge that only a wunderkind like Mayor Pete could take on, but that’s exactly what Sabrina Haake is aiming to do.

The lesbian attorney wants to be the next Congresswoman of Indiana’s 1st congressional district – which consists largely of Gary and its surrounding suburbs in the Northwest portion of the state. The district has been uniquely Democratic for decades – in fact, current Democratic Representative Peter Visclosky has held the seat Haake’s fighting for since 1985. This year, though, Visclosky announced he will not be seeking reelection.

Still, Haake, who announced her candidacy in December, has her work cut out for her leading up to the May 5th primary. At least seven other candidates have joined the race, including State Rep. Mara Candelaria Reardon and Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. of Hammond, Indiana.

Haake and her wife, Jill, live in a neighborhood in Gary called Miller Beach – described by the candidate as much queerer than people would expect. Ten years ago, she founded the LGBTQ GLEAM – which stands for Gays and Lesbians and Everyone Around Miller – which is a ‘social and political networking organization’ mostly putting together social engagements such as potlucks and house parties.

Sabrina Haake Running For Congress in Indiana

Ryan From Booksmart:  Bisexual Icon

This probably isn’t the first Booksmart think piece you’re going to read, and it probably won’t be the last. So let’s start with a quick summary of the basics: Olivia Wilde’s smart, funny directorial debut may not have revolutionized teen movies (or received enough recognition this awards season), but it did give the genre a much-needed update by allowing its two female protagonists to ball out, Superbad-style, in that uniquely millennial way we’ve been seeing from the boys for nearly two decades now. What’s more, one of the movie’s two leading characters is a queer girl. Kaitlyn Dever’s Amy is more than her sexuality, but her identity isn’t a tokenizing afterthought; for the first half of the movie, it’s her crush on a skater girl that drives the action.

Don’t get me wrong—the movie is far from perfect, especially in the way that it sends its white leads on a heartfelt journey to self-discovery while flattening its many supporting characters of color. Even given its failings, though, it represents a meaningful step toward the goal of making movies that make all of us feel seen. Amy’s never-kissed-a-girl arc is sweet and funny, and as a white queer woman who didn’t come out until college, it’s something I wish I could have seen when I was in high school. But it’s the inclusion of Amy’s crush—skinny, masculine-presenting Ryan—that was truly revelatory. Because of Ryan, Booksmart is the first wide-release Hollywood movie in which I’ve seen my bisexuality reflected back at me.

Ryan From Booksmart:  Bisexual Icon

Unleashing A Barrage of Anti-Transgender Bills

Protecting children’s health is critical, and that means allowing doctors and their patients to decide what care is needed to keep a child physically and mentally healthy.

Yet on Wednesday, lawmakers in the US state of South Dakota will consider a bill that would make it a felony for healthcare providers to give gender-affirming care to minors. If passed, medical professionals who provide transgender children with puberty blockers, hormones, or other transition-related care would face up to 10 years in prison.

In a cruel twist, the bill makes an exception for doctors and parents to make surgical interventions – whether or not they are necessary – on intersex children, a practice that seriously jeopardizes health and rights. If enacted, the bill would perversely give doctors a free pass to perform medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex infants too young to participate in the decision, but would make it a criminal offense for a doctor to provide medically recommended treatment to an informed transgender 17-year-old seeking care.

This is the fifth year in a row lawmakers in South Dakota have targeted transgender kids, following failed efforts to restrict them from accessing bathrooms and locker rooms, playing sports, and learning about gender identity in schools.

But this year, other states are pursuing a similar path. Lawmakers in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, and Texas are considering similar bills this session to prevent trans youth from accessing gender-affirming care.

Unleashing A Barrage of Anti-Transgender Bills

Boy George Slams Personal Pronouns

Boy George, the androgynous 58-year-old lead singer of the band Culture Club, has been accused of transphobia after tweets that seemed to disparage people’s pronouns.

After the singer published an incorrectly punctuated tweet reading, “Leave your pronoun’s at the door!” a fellow Twitter user asked George, “Do you not know what the fuck pronouns are?” The singer responded, “A modern form of attention-seeking?”  When someone wrote, “Disappointing” to the singer’s reply, the singer retorted, “Most things are! But being disappointed is the most disappointing.”

When another Twitter user pointed out to Boy George that it costs nothing to respect a person’s chosen name or pronouns, adding that “People are too quick to criticize others’ lifestyles & identities. If people want attention there’s usually a reason. Ask them,” the singer responded, “Thanks for that but I have eyes and can mostly describe what I see!”

Trump Supporters Label Him An LGBT Ally

Staking a claim in a park in the center of the unofficial capital of the LGBT community in South Florida, supporters of President Donald Trump sought Monday to tout him as a brilliant and committed ally who deserves the votes of gays and lesbians.

They had all the trappings of a rally: a portable loudspeaker, a lectern, a flag with “Trump 2020” on one side and the LGBT rainbow on the other, and a 2-year old French bulldog named Trumpster. The dog wore a “Trump 2020” shirt.

It didn’t go terribly well.

Only about a dozen of Trump’s supporters showed up for the event in Wilton Manors. And their loudspeaker failed, meaning that almost everything the five speakers said was drowned out by a nearby group of two dozen LGBT activists and Democrats — who had the advantage of a working megaphone.

“Let me tell you, the LGBT community and Democrats, the greatest crime today is being silent, and not openly supporting the greatest president of our lifetime, Donald J. Trump,” said event organizer Andrew Brett, who describes himself as a proud American, Christian, Republican and gay supporter of “our great President Trump.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:30:47 PM »

Tuesday, January 28th, 2020

Anne Hathaway Stars in Journalism Thriller

Anne Hathaway stars in the trailer for Dee Rees' The Last Thing He Wanted. Back in 2017, Rees joined forces with Netflix to adapt Hillary Jordan's period drama novel Mudbound into a widely-celebrated movie that earned four Oscar nominations (including ones for screenwriting and cinematography). It was a major victory for Netflix and their efforts to become a legitimate awards season contender, ultimately paving the way for films like Roma and this year's Best Picture nominees The Irishman and Marriage Story. As such, there's a lot of buzz around Rees' reunion with Netflix on The Last Thing He Wanted.

Adapted from the '80s-set book by literary icon Joan Didion, the film stars Hathaway as Elena McMahon, a DC journalist who gets caught up in a plot involving Contra activity in Central America after undertaking an errand for her ailing arms-dealer father (Willem Dafoe). The Last Thing He Wanted will premiere at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival next week on Monday, January 27, about a month before it begins streaming on Netflix on Friday, February 21. Ahead of then, the streamer is getting the movie's marketing underway.

Anne Hathaway Stars in Journalism Thriller

Ottawa To Be Home To New LGBTQ+ National Monument

Ottawa has been chosen as the site of a national monument memorializing discrimination against Canada’s LGBTQ+ community.  The specific location of the LGBTQ+ National Monument will be announced Thursday morning at a meeting of the National Capital Commission’s board of directors.

The site, according to Martine Roy, chair of the board of the LGBT Purge Fund that spearheaded the drive for a monument, will be one of three in downtown Ottawa shortlisted after discussions between the Fund and the NCC. She declined to identify the sites.

The monument’s cost — an estimated $8 million — will be paid entirely by the Purge Fund, which came about in 2018 following the $145-million settlement by the federal government of a class-action lawsuit against it by members of the LGBTQ+ community who, between the 1950s and mid 1990s, were employed by the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP and federal public service and were systemically harassed and discriminated against and, in many cases, fired. A year earlier, the government apologized for what was known as the LGBT Purge.

Roy was one of three plaintiffs in the class-action suit against the government. She was 19 when, in 1981, she was dismissed from the Canadian Armed Forces for her homosexuality.

Ottawa To Be Home To New LGBTQ+ National Monument

When Lesbians Led the Women’s Suffrage Movement

As Americans commemorate the centennial of the 19th Amendment, which granted voting rights to some – but not all – women, it is important to acknowledge the lesbian leaders of the suffrage movement.

A leadership team of three women with “lesbian-like” relationships – Jane Addams, Sophonisba Breckinridge and Anna Howard Shaw – took control of the suffrage movement in 1911.

My research suggests that the personal lives of these suffrage leaders shaped their political agendas. Rather than emphasizing differences of gender, race, ethnicity and class, they advanced equal rights for all Americans.  Suffrage scholarship has long acknowledged a shift “from justice to expediency” – from an emphasis on natural rights to an emphasis on gender distinctions – in the movement at the turn of the century.

The 1848 Declaration of Sentiments, a founding document of the suffrage struggle, proudly insisted that “all men and women are created equal.”  However, by the early 20th century, many of the movement’s new adherents emphasized women’s differences from men. To gain support, they argued that female voters would engage in “social housekeeping” and “clean up” corrupt politics.

Some suffragists, including women’s rights pioneer Elizabeth Cady Stanton, also increasingly emphasized racial, class and ethnic differences. After the Civil War, when the 15th Amendment enfranchised black men but ignored all women, white suffrage leaders excluded African American women from the movement.

When Lesbians Led the Women’s Suffrage Movement

Miss USA's First Bisexual Contestant

Miss Utah USA champ Rachel Slawson competed for the crown five times before she finally won.

This year, her first time on the national stage, she'll be competing as her most authentic self.  Slawson, who is bisexual, will be the first openly queer contestant in the Miss USA pageant's 68-year history.  The 25-year-old is a 7-year pageant veteran, but her Miss Utah USA win this month marked the first time she'd ever discussed her sexuality onstage.

"After years of trying to be somebody else, it turns out being yourself is what works," she told CNN.  The response to her transparency was largely positive, she said -- "They picked me!"

But even before she was crowned, Slawson didn't shy from the tough conversations. On Instagram, she's shared her bipolar diagnosis, a suicide attempt at 19 and her struggle to accept herself.
Her past is part of why she chose mental health awareness and suicide prevention as her primary platforms.

Her home state of Utah ranks fifth in the nation for its suicide rates, according to the state health department. LGBTQ+ youth are particularly vulnerable to depression and more likely to attempt suicide.  She called her participation in the pageant "monumental" for members of Utah's LGBTQ+ community.  "It represents a facet of our community that is deeply struggling," she said.

Miss USA's First Bisexual Contestant

Puberty Blockers Linked to Lower Suicide Risk

Transgender individuals who received puberty blockers during adolescence have a lower risk of suicidal thoughts as adults than those who wanted the medication but could not access them, according to a study published Thursday in the journal Pediatrics.

“These results align with past literature, suggesting that pubertal suppression for transgender adolescents who want this treatment is associated with favorable mental health outcomes,” the study states.

The finding suggests that a major — and politically controversial — aspect of transgender health care for minors could help reduce the trans community’s disproportionate risk of suicide.

“Puberty blockers” are a type of reversible medication injection or implant that pause puberty. These drugs are prescribed to children who experience early onset puberty and for transgender youth experiencing gender dysphoria. Natural puberty resumes when the injection wears off or the implant is removed.

The study’s lead author, Dr. Jack Turban, a resident psychiatrist at the Harvard Medical School, said the findings add to the “growing evidence base suggesting that gender-affirming medical care for transgender youth is associated with superior mental health outcomes in adulthood.”

“It certainly argues against the misguided notion that gender-affirming care is inherently harmful and should be legislatively banned,” Turban said in a statement, referring to a number of recently introduced state bills seeking to limit transition-related care for minors.

Puberty Blockers Linked to Lower Suicide Risk

Boy George, the androgynous 58-year-old lead singer of the band Culture Club, has been accused of transphobia after tweets that seemed to disparage people’s pronouns.

After the singer published an incorrectly punctuated tweet reading, “Leave your pronoun’s at the door!” a fellow Twitter user asked George, “Do you not know what the fuck pronouns are?” The singer responded, “A modern form of attention-seeking?”  When someone wrote, “Disappointing” to the singer’s reply, the singer retorted, “Most things are! But being disappointed is the most disappointing.”

When another Twitter user pointed out to Boy George that it costs nothing to respect a person’s chosen name or pronouns, adding that “People are too quick to criticize others’ lifestyles & identities. If people want attention there’s usually a reason. Ask them,” the singer responded, “Thanks for that but I have eyes and can mostly describe what I see!”

Staking a claim in a park in the center of the unofficial capital of the LGBT community in South Florida, supporters of President Donald Trump sought Monday to tout him as a brilliant and committed ally who deserves the votes of gays and lesbians.

They had all the trappings of a rally: a portable loudspeaker, a lectern, a flag with “Trump 2020” on one side and the LGBT rainbow on the other, and a 2-year old French bulldog named Trumpster. The dog wore a “Trump 2020” shirt.

It didn’t go terribly well.

Only about a dozen of Trump’s supporters showed up for the event in Wilton Manors. And their loudspeaker failed, meaning that almost everything the five speakers said was drowned out by a nearby group of two dozen LGBT activists and Democrats — who had the advantage of a working megaphone.

“Let me tell you, the LGBT community and Democrats, the greatest crime today is being silent, and not openly supporting the greatest president of our lifetime, Donald J. Trump,” said event organizer Andrew Brett, who describes himself as a proud American, Christian, Republican and gay supporter of “our great President Trump.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »

Tuesday, February 4th, 2020

James Schamus On Harvey Weinstein

New York-based film producer James Schamus had dealings over the years with disgraced filmmaker Harvey Weinstein — and his latest movie couldn’t be more timely in light of Weinstein’s rape trial.

The ex-Focus Features CEO — who has worked on movies like “Brokeback Mountain,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “The Kids Are All Right” — was at the New York premiere of his latest film, “The Assistant,” on Tuesday night. The new movie, starring “Ozark” actress Julia Garner, concerns a young college graduate who lands a dream job as an assistant to a powerful entertainment mogul but grows increasingly aware of the abuse happening at her workplace.

Discussing Weinstein, Schamus, 60, told Page Six that “we all knew he wasn’t a nice guy … but no idea of sexual assault and rape … it’s not what I heard.”

“But that says something, right?” he added. “Maybe the reason I didn’t hear it is because we’ve created an environment in which those stories aren’t meant to circulate. People felt powerless to circulate them.”

James Schamus On Harvey Weinstein

Paul Christian Makonda Barred From Entering The US

A powerful Tanzanian government official responsible for sweeping anti-gay crackdowns, surveillance squads and arrests of homosexuals has been banned from the United States.

On Friday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tweeted out the news, saying, “Today we designated Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner Paul Christian Makonda as ineligible to enter the U.S. for his involvement in gross violations of #humanrights. We are deeply concerned over deteriorating respect for human rights and rule of law in #Tanzania.”

Homosexuality is illegal in Tanzania and punishable by up to 30 years in prison.  In 2018, Makonda, the regional commissioner of Tanzania’s largest city, Dar es Salaam, announced the creation of an anti-gay surveillance squad and went on television to urge people to spy on neighbors and report homosexuals to a phone hotline.

“Report them to me,” Makonda urged, according to NPR, adding that “next Monday we start arresting them.” At the time Makonda said “he expected international criticism for the move,” but added, “I prefer to anger those countries than to anger God.”

Paul Christian Makonda Barred From Entering The US

Lesbians More Accepted Than Gay Men

A new study exploring the attitudes toward non-heterosexual men and women in 23 Western and non-Western countries found lesbians are more accepted than gay men around the world.

“We found that gay men are disliked more than lesbian women in every country we tested,” according to the study, which was conducted by three New York University psychologists and published in the December issue of the journal Social Psychology and Personality Science.

Sexual minorities face pervasive discrimination and hostility globally, with same-sex sexual activity still illegal in approximately 70 countries.

Broadly, the study found that “attitudes toward sexual minorities are robustly related to beliefs about the gender system, more broadly.”  The study defines “gender norms” as “widely shared societal and cultural beliefs distinguishing personality traits, behaviors, and interests as appropriate and desirable for either men or women but not both.” It says that gender norms “prescribe behaviors that fuel a heteronormative system — that is, men and women conforming to norms are seen as ‘complements’ to one another, and this makes heterosexual coupling seem necessary and normal.”

In places like the Netherlands where people are more accepting of gender norm violations, better known as gender nonconformity, there is an association with “positive attitudes toward sexual minorities.” The converse is also largely true: For instance in America, college students who endorsed “traditional gender arrangements” were more likely to report negative attitudes toward gays, lesbians and bisexuals.

Lesbians More Accepted Than Gay Men

Demi Lovato, Bisexuality, and Her Parents

Demi Lovato just got real about the time she revealed to her parents that she is interested in women.

While Demi has become the ultimate bi icon over the past couple of years, she just revealed to Andy Cohen on his radio show, Radio Andy, that she only ended up telling them about her sexuality when things were getting serious between her and another girl.

"I’m still figuring [my sexuality] out," Demi said. "I didn’t officially tell my parents that I saw myself ending up possibly with a woman until 2017. It was actually emotional, but really beautiful. After everything was done, I was like shaking and crying. I just felt overwhelmed. I have such incredible parents. They were so supportive."

She ended up saying that while the experience was great, one parent was actually not surprised by the news.

"My dad was like, 'Yeah, obviously,'" she said. "He said like, "Hello, 'Cool for the Summer'." But my mom was the one that I was super nervous about," she revealed. "But she was like, 'I just want you to be happy.' And that was so beautiful and amazing. I’m so grateful."

Demi Lovato, Bisexuality, and Her Parents

South Dakota Blocks Surgery For Transgender Minors

The South Dakota House of Representatives passed HB 1057 last week, a bill that would make it illegal for medical professionals to perform gender reassignment procedures on a minor -- or to administer hormones and puberty blockers to patients under 16.

A Republican-controlled House voted 46-23 in favor of the legislation, bringing the state one step closer to being the first in the country to pass such restrictions.

The bill, known as the Vulnerable Child Protection Act, will make procedures for transgender minors a Class-1 misdemeanor, and if signed by law, could send doctors who go against the policy to jail and/or fine them up to $2,000.

The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Fred Deutsch, R-S.D., said he was "moved" to introduce the legislation after finding "stories of pain and suffering of young people on the internet."

"The folks on the other side of the argument talk about puberty blockers being a pause button. And I’m saying -- you know what -- a better pause button is just don’t give them the drugs or surgeries," Deutsch said during an interview with the Family Research Council, a conservative group that lobbies for political and cultural issues.

South Dakota Blocks Surgery For Transgender Minors

A New Sexual Orientation - Heteroflexible

Labels, categorization, boxes. There are some, if not many, who don’t want any part of identifying themselves by others’ characterizations.

But, according to Nicole Legate, an assistant professor of psychology at the Illinois Institute of Technology, some categorization is vital when it comes to addressing health disparities in sexual minority groups (groups other than heterosexuals), including higher levels of distress, lower levels of self-esteem, and unprotected sex.

It was while looking for those health disparities between heterosexuals and sexual minorities that Legate, with co-author Ronald Rogge of the University of Rochester, found a new sexual orientation category that they believe should be considered alongside heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals. That category is heteroflexibles — men and women who identify as heterosexual but who are strongly attracted to or engage in sex with people of the same sex. Legate said this group does not identify as bisexual, which is why these individuals should be in their own unique category.

Heteroflexibles are much less out about their orientation, according to Legate, so they don’t talk about it to other people nearly as much as bisexuals or gay and lesbian individuals. And not offering that bit of information to a health provider could prevent a physician, for instance, from recommending getting tested or talking about PrEP, pre-exposure prophylaxis, to prevent against HIV since same-sex partners (regardless of how one identifies) tend to have greater risk for sexually transmitted infections.

A New Sexual Orientation - Heteroflexible

LGBTQ Allies Want Board Member to Step Down

Last fall, a drag queen went to a Willis ISD school to teach the cosmetology students makeup techniques. When Dale Inman, a Conroe ISD Board Trustee found, he took to social media because he has children who attend Willis ISD. In his post, Inman said that he didn't want alternative lifestyles being promoted in Montgomery County schools.

He even told local newspaper Community Impact:  "The LGBTQ community is one of the most vile, hate-filled communities I've ever come across, and I've spent time in the Middle East with Hezbollah and radical Muslims."

When Rachel Walker, a Conroe ISD parents and ally/advocate for the LGBTQ community found out, she took action by first going to the Willis ISD board meeting.

"I was at that meeting speaking as a parent who has children in Conroe ISD, speaking as an ally, and as a Christian," Walker said. "Because that's kind of where he took the issue because he was feeling that Christian kids at Willis ISD were being attacked for their beliefs."

But Rachel didn't stop there. She also went to the Conroe ISD board meeting where Inman was sitting as a member. She read a statement, part of which asked him to apologize and to resign. While some parents defended Mr. Inman at some of the meetings, Rachel hasn't been alone in this process. Other parents and even students have been speaking out, and attending the board meetings.

LGBTQ Allies Want Board Member to Step Down

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 06:16:30 PM »

Tuesday, February 11th, 2020

David Harbour's Last Day on Set

Many Stranger Things fans were openly weeping at the end of the third season when Jim Hopper (David Harbour) shared a tear-filled look with Joyce Byers (Winona Ryder) as she blew up the gate to the Upside Down, seemingly killing her friend in the process. And it turns out that shooting that particular scene was no picnic for the actors to film, either.

In a recent interview with The Wrap, Harbour said that his last day on the set was an extremely emotional one—both for him and for Ryder—which actually ended up helping his performance.

While there are a lot of questions as to whether we'll see Harbour on the show again, here's hoping there are still more emotional moments to be had between Hop and Joyce when season 4 debuts.

David Harbour's Last Day on Set

Phillip Schofield Comes Out As Gay

TV presenter Phillip Schofield has received an outpouring of support after revealing he is gay.

The 57-year-old, who has two daughters with wife Stephanie Lowe, made the announcement via a statement on Instagram.

"Huge respect and admiration for our friend Schofe," tweeted fellow ITV presenters Ant and Dec. "Sending love to you P, and your 3 lovely girls ❤️."

Dermot O'Leary, David Walliams and James Corden also applauded him.  "Takes a lot of guts to do this, not least when you're a very public figure and know it will all be dissected in a very public way," said Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan. "Sending my very best to Schofe and his family."

Schofield, who has been married to Lowe for 27 years, said in his statement: "Today, quite rightly, being gay is a reason to celebrate and be proud.   Yes, I am feeling pain and confusion, but that comes only from the hurt that I am causing to my family."

Below the link of the story, is a like on YouTube showing Phillip Schofield with his This Morning co-hosts, discussing his announment.

Phillip Schofield Comes Out As Gay

Phillip Schofield YouTube Video

First Female, Lesbian Leads Michigan Episcopal Diocese

The Michigan diocese of the Episcopal Church has its first female and openly lesbian bishop.

The Rev. Bonnie A. Perry was consecrated and ordained Saturday during a ceremony in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn.

She was elected last June at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul in Detroit. Perry was expected to be formally welcomed and seated Sunday at the church.

The Rt. Rev. Mary Glasspool was the church’s first lesbian bishop in 2010 in Los Angeles, according to the Episcopal Church.  The Rt. Rev. Barbara Harris became its first female bishop when she was ordained in 1989 in Massachusetts. The Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson became the Episcopal Church's first openly gay bishop in 2004.

Perry said Friday during a news conference at the Detroit church that she is aware of what her election as bishop means to others.

First Female, Lesbian Leads Michigan Episcopal Diocese

Harley Quinn's Sexuality

Harley Quinn has long been established with more fluid romantic interests. While it's only been more in the open in recent years, this has given Harley more freedom whenever she actually gets the chance to escape from the Joker's grasp. But now, that element is being brought more to the forefront of her new cinematic appearance, Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).

The animated opening to Birds of Prey just casually confirmed that the Harley Quinn of the DC Extended Universe is actually bisexual.

The film opens with an extended animated origin story for Harley Quinn. It reveals her relationship with her father (who had a habit of abandoning her), her experiences at Catholic school (where she fought against the nuns on a regular basis) and how she became a psychiatrist. It also teases that she had some major romantic relationships before she ended up falling under the sway of the Joker. Three people are shown in this sequence, each of them not ending up a match with Harley.

The first two are nerdy but nice enough looking men, who make perfect sense for potential paramours for the more reserved Harleen Quinzel from before she met Joker and went off the deep end. The third, however, is shown to be a mysterious and beautiful woman. She also isn't a match for Harley however, setting Harley up to be alone and vulnerable when she meets the Joker. It's a quiet moment, but also one that's very important and has inspiration from the core DC Universe.

Harley Quinn's Sexuality

200 Medical Professionals Condemn Bills

A slew of states have proposed curbing transgender minors' access to gender-affirming health care. But medical professionals are pushing back against the legislation, claiming it discriminates against trans patients and hinders physicians from doing their jobs.

In an open letter from the Campaign for Southern Equality, a nonprofit that advocates for LGBTQ rights in the South, more than 200 nurses, physicians, counselors and social workers condemned the movement to restrict transgender minors' rights.

"To put it plainly, gender-affirming care saves lives and allows trans young people to thrive," the letter reads.

During the 2020 legislative session, at least six states in the US have proposed barring transgender minors from accessing gender reassignment treatments, which include hormone therapy and surgery. Some bills would make it illegal for physicians to provide the treatments at all.  All of the medical professionals who signed the open letter work in Southern states where the restrictions have been proposed (though have largely failed to advance in previous legislative sessions).

200 Medical Professionals Condemn Bills

Is Asexuality Psychological or Biological?

The concept of sexual orientation has long since been a topic of heated discussion and debate, perhaps because sexuality as a whole is such a complex and oftentimes fluid part of the human experience.

The simplest explanation that research has given to define asexuality is this: Asexuality can be defined as a lack of sexual attraction to others and/or the lack of interest in sex. Individuals who identify as asexual also sometimes refer to themselves as "ace" (or "aces") for short.

If you were to look at the word "asexual" from an English literature point of view, it could quite literally be translated as "not sexual." Adding the prefix "a-" to a word simply means "not" or "without."

Karl-Maria Kertbeny, a Hungarian journalist, was the first known person to use the terms "heterosexual" and "homosexual" to describe sexual experiences. During this time, he also used the word "monosexual" to describe people who don't engage in sexual activity with other people, only themselves, through masturbation.

While this wasn't the first time the term "asexual" was used, this was the beginning of understanding individuals who don't feel sexual desire towards other people. The first large publication that referenced "asexuals" was in 1972 when author Lisa Orlando published "The Asexual Manifesto" and described it as being "not the last word on asexuality, but only the beginning."

Is Asexuality Psychological or Biological?

Jessica Simpson’s Called “Lesbian” Because of Sexual Assault

In a recent chat with talk show host Dr. Oz, singer and reality show celebrity Jessica Simpson revealed that her classmates taunted her with homophobic abuse after she confided to a friend that an older girl had sexually abused her throughout her childhood.

In discussing her new memoir, Open Book, Simpson said she was sexually abused by the older daughter of a family friend several times each year during sleepovers that occurred when Simpson was between the ages of five and 12.  During these sleepovers, Simpson would sleep between her younger sister and the older girl to try and protect her sibling from being molested. “I would rather the pain happen to me than to my sister,” Simpson told Dr. Oz.

“I didn’t want to hurt [the abuser’s] family,” Simpson continued. “She was being abused as well, so I had compassion for her — I didn’t want to let the secret out. From a very young age, I was feeling sexual things that no kid should feel.”

She knew the abuse wasn’t normal, but she also felt a sense of religious shame because of its sexual nature. In junior high, she told one of her best friends what was happening. That friend later told “the whole school,” Simpson said.   Soon after, classmates began calling Simpson a lesbian.

Jessica Simpson’s Called “Lesbian” Because of Sexual Assault

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »

Tuesday, February 18th, 2020

An Interview With Rodrigo Prieto

Rodrigo Prieto is one of the world’s foremost cinematographers. An expert technician with the chameleonic ability to adapt his style to the specific needs of the story being told, Prieto’s résumé includes films by luminaries such as Alejandro González Iñárritu, Spike Lee, Ang Lee, Pedro Almodóvar, Oliver Stone and Martin Scorsese – director of The Irishman, currently streaming on Netflix.

In this exclusive interview with Screen Africa, Prieto tells us about his approach to filming The Irishman, collaborating with Martin Scorsese and where he finds his inspiration from project to project…

The Irishman stars Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci, and sees Scorsese return to the crime genre that he has played such a large role in defining for modern cinema audiences. Based on the 2004 book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt, the film – which runs for 209 minutes – follows the story of Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran (De Niro) as he recounts his days working as a hitman for Pennsylvanian crime lord Russell Bufalino (Pesci) before becoming the bodyguard of notorious mobster Jimmy Hoffa (Pacino). Emotionally complex and epic in its scope, The Irishman marks Prieto’s third collaboration with Scorsese, after The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) and Silence (2016).

Speaking about their working relationship, Prieto says: “I’ve always admired Scorsese’s use of the camera and his cinematic language –and so I find it very natural to execute the shots he wants to do, because I really like his take on how to tell a story visually. I also think that I listen very carefully to what he’s saying, and not only when he’s talking specifically about shots or ideas, but just in general – I know that when he’s in a project there are things he might say, even in passing, that have meaning and significance to the look he is trying to create. At least, I find that I can translate these things, and use them as inspiration for my ideas about how to manipulate the lighting and the camera.”

An Interview With Rodrigo Prieto

Seattle Teachers Fired

A Seattle-area Catholic school's claim that two teachers resigned has been disputed by allegations that they were in fact forced out over their same-sex relationships.

King County Councilman Dave Upthegrove posted a statement from Kennedy Catholic High School Saturday that claimed two teachers, Paul Danforth and Michelle Beattie, "voluntarily resigned" from their positions at the school. But Upthegrove claimed in his post that the two teachers were forced out "solely because they are gay."   "This is a reminder of the blatant discrimination that continues to exist in our community against members of the LGBT community," Upthegrove said.

NBC News attempted to contact both Danforth and Beattie based on information obtained from public records. Danforth did not immediately respond for comment and an email address listed for Beattie was no longer working.

Sean Nyberg, Danforth's fiancé, told NBC affiliate KING that the English teacher “is no longer employed specifically because he and I got engaged.”

“We entered into an agreement to take our relationship to the next level and enjoy the emotional, spiritual, and legal benefits that marriage provides,” said Nyberg in a statement to the station. “However, in our case, Paul no longer is employed because I had asked him to marry me and he said yes.”

Seattle Teachers Fired

The Best Movie About Lesbian Yearning

Lesbian cinema must check the following boxes in order to beguile queer audiences: the coupling of a light-haired woman and a dark-haired woman, ample glances, and the presence of wind. The model for this very scientific diagram, is of course, Phyllis Nagy’s Carol. Set in 1950s America, star-crossed lesbians Carol (Cate Blanchett) and Therese (Rooney Mara) must communicate yearning by gazing at each other across large rooms. Other greatest hits include Mulholland Drive, Imagine Me & You, and Freeheld, which is a bad movie, but is windy. And much like these filmmakers before her, Portrait of a Lady on Fire director Céline Sciamma — who is an actual lesbian — knew exactly how to hit us where it hurt. By giving us a queer period piece with enough glances to make us gird our loins.

Based on the research I’ve done from Being Gay, the way women express love and desire is typically… quieter. Take the shame we feel as a result of widespread homophobia and mix it with the shame all women have been made to have about our sexual desires, and you’ve got a shame casserole. So the way we communicate desire to other women is by staring at them silently, then walking away, ultimately never speaking. Glancing is our mating call, and thus should be the central thesis of every lesbian film.

My theory fits in snugly with Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which is set in 18th century France, a period that is both certifiably homophobic, yet also canonically lesbian. (It’s a time filled with French accents, gowns, and vaguely European rock structures: all of which are gay. This is just math). In it, Marianne (Noémie Merlant) has been commissioned to paint Héloïse for her wedding portrait, as Héloïse (Adèle Haenel) is to be wed in the near future to — plug your ears — a man.

The Best Movie About Lesbian Yearning

Film Makes Spider-Man Bisexual

Sony Pictures is making plans for Spider-Man to come swinging back onto the screen soon – and a rumor has emerged that they want him to be bisexual.

According to a report from geek fansite We Got This Covered, the entertainment giant is looking to develop their return to the superhero franchise as a live-action movie in the vein of 2018’s “Into the Spider-Verse,” the Oscar-winning animated film featuring multiple versions of the superhero who are brought together from their respective dimensions to join forces against an enemy seeking to destroy them all.

The first “Spider-Verse” film was widely praised for its emphasis on diversity, bringing the first Spider-Man-of-Color to the screen in the form of Brooklyn teenager Miles Morales. Now, according to WGTC, the studio wants to continue the trend by making the beloved superhero bisexual and giving him a boyfriend.

According to the website’s sources – whom they cite as having a reliable track record for information, having previously provided several rumors that later proved to be true, such as the upcoming She-Hulk series set to debut on Disney Plus and the identity of the villain in this summer’s long-awaited “Black Widow” movie – Sony is looking to use the “multiverse” premise to bring together all three actors that have played Spidey in the big-screen franchise, uniting current webslinger Tom Holland with his two predecessors in the role, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield.

The buzz further indicates that Sony is particularly interested in getting Garfield to return and play his version of the character as bisexual. Garfield said in 2013 that he believed Spider-Man could be portrayed as gay.

Film Makes Spider-Man Bisexual

Transgender Woman Poised to Make Argentine Soccer History

Dozens of trophies, balls and cups sit on two worn, wooden shelves in the small home in a Buenos Aires suburb of Mara Gómez, who is poised to become the first transgender woman to play professional soccer in Argentina.

Tall and athletic, Gómez looks at the mementos from her arduous journey in soccer and life, and smiles. “When I started I was so bad. I'd kick the ball at the goal and it would go anywhere.”

Gómez spent years playing in local women's leagues in Buenos Aires province before being signed recently by Villa San Carlos in the first division. Now the 22-year-old forward is awaiting the Argentine Soccer Federation's decision whether to authorize the signing in a soccer-mad country that has produced some of the world's greatest stars, from Lionel Messi to Maradona.

Besides soccer fame, Argentina has also become a regional leader in transgender rights. In 2012, it gave people the freedom to change their legal and physical gender without having to undergo judicial, psychiatric and medical procedures.

The federation's decision on Gómez could come in days, and in the run-up her cellphone pings constantly with messages from people reaching out to her. While many support her bid to play professional soccer, others contend it is unfair to the non-transgender women in the league.

Transgender Woman Poised to Make Argentine Soccer History

Peter Paige on Writing A Character as Pansexual

Freeform’s forthcoming Valentine’s Day film, “The Thing About Harry,” is an earnest romantic comedy that follows high school enemies who are forced to share a ride to their hometown to attend a friend’s engagement party, only to have car trouble, bond overnight in a motel, and come out the other side with complicated feelings about each other. While the “opposites end up attracting” and “characters with complicated pasts find they have more in common” are staples of the genre, what sets this project apart is that the two central characters are both men.

“When you look at the Freeform ethos, that is inherent to who they are. Ever since I’ve worked there, and I’ve been there over seven years, they’ve always treated LGBTQ people as part of the human landscape,” writer, executive producer and director Peter Paige tells Variety. “Everything that matters to me as a storyteller, there’s always political stuff in it, there’s always social messaging, but the social messaging in this movie is in its construct. It’s one of our most venerable cinematic traditions, but we made it about two boys. That in and of itself is subversive and powerful and important.”

In the film, Sam (Jake Borelli) is a serious student with eyes on a future in politics. He is tasked to pick up the more free-spirited former jock Harry (Niko Terho). Although Sam was out in high school, Harry was not. But Harry quickly lets it drop during their road trip that he identifies as pansexual.

Peter Paige on Writing A Character as Pansexual

Dwyane Wade & Gabrielle Union As Parents to LGBT Child

Dwyane Wade said that he and Gabrielle Union view their role as allies to their daughter Zaya, who identifies as part of the LGBTQ community, as one of the responsibilities that comes with being a parent.

During an appearance on NBC's "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Tuesday, the former NBA player spoke about the couple's support following the moment that their 12-year-old child came out as transgender to them.  "Me and my wife — my wife Gabrielle Union — we are proud parents of a child in the LGBTQ community, and we're proud allies as well. We take our roles and our responsibilities as parents very seriously," he told Ellen DeGeneres. 

Wade is also the father to Zaire, Xavier, and Kaavia. When it comes to parenting, Wade added that he and Union don't treat issues or questions relating to the children's gender any differently than they would handle other topics.

"When a child comes home with a question, when a child comes home with an issue, when a child comes home with anything, it's our job as parents to listen to that, to give them the best information that we can, the best feedback that we can," the 38-year-old said.

When Zaya first told Wade and Union that she wanted to use female pronouns and be called "Zaya" rather than "Zion," the name she was given at birth, Wade said he wanted to ensure that she recognized her story's value.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »

Tuesday, February 25th, 2020

An Inside Look At Heath Ledger's Joker

While Joaquin Phoenix recently took home an Oscar for his portrayal as The Joker, there was also another Joker who once won an Oscar for his portrayal of the Batman villain. That would be the late actor, Heath Ledger, who passed away six months before the release of The Dark Knight, his only time portraying The Joker.

While his role would be considered as one of his best, there are probably some things you may not know about the late actor's performance.

To prepare himself for the role, Ledger isolated himself in his hotel room in London for six weeks. In those six weeks of isolating himself, he took that time to master the role of the Joker. The actor also went on to say that he kept a diary with him to experiment with voices.

"I sat around in a hotel room in London for about a month, locked myself away, formed a little diary and experimented with voices — it was important to try to find a somewhat iconic voice and laugh. I ended up landing more in the realm of a psychopath — someone with very little to no conscience towards his acts." says Ledger.

An Inside Look At Heath Ledger's Joker

Nine-Year-Old Boy Asks Buttigieg For Advice

Pete Buttigieg welcomed a nine-year-old boy on stage at a rally in Denver, Colorado, on Saturday night after the young boy asked the Democratic presidential candidate for help coming out as gay.

“Would you help me tell the world I’m gay too,” the boy wrote in a pre-submitted question that was read to Buttigieg. “I want to be brave like you.”

Buttigieg, who is the first major openly gay presidential candidate, was momentarily speechless. The crowd, numbering in the thousands, started to cheer “love is love,” as the young boy, Zachary, was brought onto the stage.

“Well, I don’t think you need a lot of advice from me,” Buttigieg told Zachary. “You seem pretty strong to me. It took me a long time to figure out how to tell even my best friend that I was gay.”

Buttigieg, who was then joined on stage by his husband, Chasten, didn’t come out as gay until his 30s, during his first term as mayor of South Bend, Indiana.

Nine-Year-Old Boy Asks Buttigieg For Advice

Upcoming Pixar Flick Will Have an Openly Lesbian Character

The film Onward, coming to theaters everywhere on March 6 from Disney and Pixar Studios, will include a character openly in a same-sex relationship.

Officer Specter (spelled Spector in some reports) is a police officer cyclops voiced by out actress and screenwriter Lena Waithe, known for starring in Netflix’s Master of None and writing the 2019 blockbuster Queen & Slim. She will apparently only appear in one scene, but “her role is vital to the emotional arc of the story.”

The main story in the animated fantasy follows Ian and Barley (voiced by Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, respectively), two elf brothers who are on a quest to try to use magic to see their father one last time. When the journey begins to go awry, they end up crossing paths with Specter.

So far, the character’s barely mentioned or seen in any of the promotional material, and doesn’t appear in any official trailers. Advanced reviews, however, reveal that Spector does say in passing that she has a girlfriend. “My girlfriend’s daughter got me pulling my hair out,” Specter reportedly says while she pulls over a driver with her fellow cop, voiced by Ali Wong.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Octavia Spencer also lend their voices to the movie.

Upcoming Pixar Flick Will Have an Openly Lesbian Character

Zoe Kravitz Is a Hot Bisexual Mess in “High Fidelity”

Top Five Gender-Swapped or Race-Bent Remakes, GO! (Kate McKinnon’s Ghostbusters, Ocean’s 8, Brandy’s Cinderella, One Day at a Time)

OK, so Top Fives are sort of High Fidelity’s entire thing, but you probably noticed that I only listed four. Here’s an ironic plot twist for the fifth spot: Zoe Kravtiz’s High Fidelity.

Remaking a well-known media property with a gender or race switch of the main characters has become a bit of standard headline grab in recent years. Many argue that remaking classics with an identity switch in the lead demonstrates a lack of imagination; I’m not one of them. I don’t need every story to reinvent the wheel completely. When done correctly, taking a well-established world and spinning it upside down, shows anything but a deficit of imagination. Learning how to color outside the lines of an established piece and making it into new art that stands on its own, while being reminiscent of the original, is no less difficult than starting from a blank page. There’s no better testament to that than the overflowing graveyard of remakes that solely come across as amateurish, poor copies of their source material.

High Fidelity is 2020 television show that’s a remake of a movie from the year 2000 which is itself an adaption of a British novel from 1995 written by Nick Hornby. In all three iterations, a sad, self-destructive, know-it-all record store owner of Championship Vinyl named Rob looks for love in London (the book), Chicago (the movie), and now Brooklyn (the series). In the first two, Rob’s a nearing middle-aged white man. In the third, she’s a biracial queer woman on the cusp of her 30th birthday. High Fidelity soars by allowing that shift to organically create a new kaleidoscope of details and points of view.

Zoe Kravitz Is a Hot Bisexual Mess in “High Fidelity”

Teenage Transgender Row Splits Sweden

For several days this week the veteran Swedish journalist Malou von Sivers will cover the same topic in every episode of her nightly TV chat show: the extraordinary rise in diagnoses of gender dysphoria among teenage girls.

Lukas Romson, one of the country’s leading trans activists, is prepared for the worst. “There will be no serious trans activists in the show, because none of us trusts Malou at all,” he says. “I’m afraid she’ll just use us.”

But the fact that a mainstream programme is devoting so much time to the issue demonstrates just how much the debate has shifted in Sweden over the past year. “It’s been a very big change and very sudden,” Romson adds. “Everyone – but especially young people – feels worse because of what they perceive as the media’s hatred of them.”

The immediate trigger for Von Sivers’s themed week is a report from Sweden’s Board of Health and Welfare which confirmed a 1,500% rise between 2008 and 2018 in gender dysphoria diagnoses among 13- to 17-year-olds born as girls.  But it also reflects a rapid change in public opinion. Just a year ago, there seemed few official obstacles left in the way of young people who wanted gender reassignment treatment.

In the autumn of 2018, the Social Democrat-led government, under pressure from the gay, lesbian and transgender group RFSL, proposed a new law which would reduce the minimum age for sex reassignment medical care from 18 to 15, remove all need for parental consent, and allow children as young as 12 to change their legal gender.

Teenage Transgender Row Splits Sweden

‘Intelligent’ TV Shows Disappoint Asexual, Aromantic And LGBTQ Spectrum

We live in a world where the idea of intelligence is highly subjective. Still, in the international entertainment industry, we do have an almost common fandom for certain TV shows which are considered as ‘intelligent’. One ‘intelligent-notable’ fact of these shows is that most of the protagonists are often male. They have driven a lot of people to consider themselves as ‘sapiosexuals‘, but with certain conditions that often disappoint asexual, aromantic and the LGBTQ Spectrum. If you haven’t watched these shows, you will be thoroughly judged by this fandom, in the same way as the fans of Potterverse shame others as ‘muggles‘.

Being a physics student, it was hard not to have come across the show The Big Bang Theory. My earlier ignorant self did enjoy it; I liked the out-of-the-box character of Sheldon. I found him relevant in some aspects, his way of looking at the world seems unique. The Big Bang Theory rose to popularity because of two kinds of audience, one-the fresh science enthusiasts who liked it because it has physicists and has a few catchy physics jokes thrown here and there, and two, sitcom lovers and the so called ‘sapiosexuals‘. But we can’t forget that it has been repeatedly homophobic, racist and sexist, and it is highly disappointing for the asexual and/or aromantic spectrum.

The desperation of the creators of the show to propagate the idea that you can’t have a ‘happily ever after’ without having heterosexual romance in life is very evident if you watch the show from a neutral gaze. It’s unjust to a character like Sheldon to have friends who continuously mock his seemingly asexual nature and coax him into dating. Also, linking the ‘weird’/’nerd’/’anything that the society considers as abnormal’ traits to asexuality and then trying to appropriate him into the ‘normal’ social construct by giving him a romantic life etc., is another level of discrimination. Another character that seems to be struggling to get a partner is of Raj. Though the show is full of so called ‘nerds’ and ‘weirdos’, since he’s an Indian, the writers of this American show would obviously portray him to have a weirder and more cringe-worthy struggle for romance.

‘Intelligent’ TV Shows Disappoint Asexual, Aromantic And LGBTQ Spectrum

Dwyane Wade said that he and Gabrielle Union view their role as allies to their daughter Zaya, who identifies as part of the LGBTQ community, as one of the responsibilities that comes with being a parent.

During an appearance on NBC's "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Tuesday, the former NBA player spoke about the couple's support following the moment that their 12-year-old child came out as transgender to them.  "Me and my wife — my wife Gabrielle Union — we are proud parents of a child in the LGBTQ community, and we're proud allies as well. We take our roles and our responsibilities as parents very seriously," he told Ellen DeGeneres. 

Wade is also the father to Zaire, Xavier, and Kaavia. When it comes to parenting, Wade added that he and Union don't treat issues or questions relating to the children's gender any differently than they would handle other topics.

"When a child comes home with a question, when a child comes home with an issue, when a child comes home with anything, it's our job as parents to listen to that, to give them the best information that we can, the best feedback that we can," the 38-year-old said.

When Zaya first told Wade and Union that she wanted to use female pronouns and be called "Zaya" rather than "Zion," the name she was given at birth, Wade said he wanted to ensure that she recognized her story's value.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 05:08:32 AM »

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2020

Why Anne Hathaway Made "Last Thing He Wanted"

A 1970s-style paranoia thriller set amid the American interventionism of the 1980s made by one of the most exciting filmmakers of right now, “The Last Thing He Wanted” is a movie that refuses to behave as it should.

Directed and co-written by Dee Rees, the movie is an adaptation of Joan Didion’s 1996 novel of the same name. The story is a swirl of shifting allegiances, agendas and motivations as Anne Hathaway stars as American newspaper reporter Elena McMahon swept up in a story she can’t see her way out of.

In the film, having been pulled away from her work regarding U.S. involvement in Central American revolutions, McMahon walks off an unwanted assignment covering the 1984 presidential campaign. Trying to help her ailing father (Willem Dafoe), she gets ensnared in a gun-running scheme that draws her back to Central America. She falls deeper into a downward spiral as she is pulled between a U.S. government official named Treat Morrison (Ben Affleck) and an operative of uncertain affiliation known simply as Jones (Edi Gathegi).

Though the film takes its liberties with Didion’s book — inventing a fellow journalist played by Rosie Perez, ramping up the supporting character of Jones — Rees has her own feelings as to whether it is a faithful adaptation.

Why Anne Hathaway Made "Last Thing He Wanted"

Iran General on Pete Buttigieg

A general in Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps has derided the “decadence” of American culture, citing the presidential candidacy of Democrat Pete Buttigieg, who is openly homosexual.

During an interview on Iran’s Channel 5 translated by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), Gen. Mostafa Izadi described homosexuality as animalistic behavior.

“The West is in crisis. Isn’t it sad that a candidate for [US] president — I am ashamed to say who — He is a homosexual. [Isn’t it sad] that such a man presents his candidacy for president?”

Izadi, head of the Guards’ Cyber and New Threats Division, added: “And on top of that, he stands a chance [to win]. This is real decadence.”

In Iran, gays and lesbians can face lashings or death sentences if convicted. Human rights groups estimate that over 4,000 gays have been executed since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Famously, former Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told a crowd at New York’s Columbia University in 2007 that “in Iran, we don’t have homosexuals like in your country.”

Iran General on Pete Buttigieg

Lesbian Teacher Awarded $100,000

A Texas elementary school art teacher who was placed on administrative leave after showing her students a picture of her fiancée has reached a $100,000 settlement after a judge ruled that her suspension was unconstitutional.

"The agreements the district and I made in this settlement are a positive first step in making things better for gay employees, gay students and gay families in Mansfield," the teacher, Stacy Bailey, told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

The Mansfield Independent School District said that the two parties agreed to settle in an "amicable" manner and that it denied "any wrongdoing or liability," telling NBC News in an email that the district wanted to "avoid the time, expense, stress and other impacts of continuing litigation, which would interfere with the mission of educating the students."

Bailey, who began working at Charlotte Anderson Elementary School in the Dallas suburb of Arlington over a decade ago, sued the district and two school administrators in May 2018, claiming that the defendants wrongly discriminated against her because of her sexual orientation.\

According to the suit, a parent complained to the school board and the superintendent that Bailey was promoting a "homosexual agenda" in the classroom by showing students a picture of the woman who is now her wife during a "Get to Know Your Teacher" presentation. The complaint eventually led to Bailey — who was twice selected Teacher of the Year at her school — being placed on administrative leave in September 2017 and then being asked the next month for her resignation, which she refused to give.

Lesbian Teacher Awarded $100,000

Miss Staten Island Banned From St. Pat’s Parade

Miss Staten Island showed up for the borough’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Sunday in her sash and tiara — but was forced to watch from the sidelines instead of marching after coming out as bisexual to The Post.

Twenty-three-year-old beauty queen Madison L’Insalata was banned from participating by parade organizer Larry Cummings on Saturday night, just hours after her sexual preference publicly surfaced, according to L’Insalata and the pageant’s organizer.

“I still wanted to march because I felt I could make a much greater impact being in the parade, waving my rainbow flag,” L’Insalata said Sunday, standing behind a metal barrier along with the rest of the crowd while wearing a rainbow scarf and heart rainbow pin and clutching a little multicolored flag.  Cummings declined comment to The Post.

L’Insalata said the parade organizer banned her and fellow beauty queens who supported her coming out, claiming it was because of safety concerns for them.

Cummings has been dogged by fierce criticism over his repeat exclusion of the Pride Center of Staten Island from marching under its own banner, leading to a slew of public figures and pols bowing out of the parade.

Jim Smith, the longtime executive director of Miss Staten Island Scholarship pageants, told The Post on Saturday that Cummings called him around 10 p.m. to issue the ban on L’Insalata, 23, and Miss Richmond County’s Outstanding Teen, Victoria Montouri, 17, for supporting her.

Miss Staten Island Banned From St. Pat’s Parade

Murder of Transgendered Woman Shocks Puerto Rico

"They killed Alexa, not a man in a skirt."

Those were the words emblazoned in Spanish on a T-shirt worn by Bad Bunny on Thursday during his televised performance on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon." The Latin trap star also donned a black skirt, in a clear effort to draw attention to a killing that has shocked his native Puerto Rico over the past week.

The Alexa in question is Alexa Negrón Luciano -- also known as Neulisa Luciano Ruiz -- a homeless, transgender woman who was brutally killed in the city of Toa Baja last Monday.  Her killing has sparked outrage and renewed a conversation on the island about transphobia and other issues that transgender and gender non-conforming people face.

Last Sunday, a person at a Toa Baja fast food restaurant filed a complaint against Luciano for entering the women's bathroom, according to police. After police arrived to investigate the incident and approached Luciano, photos of the police encounter started circulating on social media.

Earlier this week, a video uploaded on social media appeared to show several people taunting and threatening a person widely believed to be Luciano, followed by the sound of gunshots. Authorities are still investigating the video. CNN has not independently confirmed its authenticity.  Police confirmed that day that they had found a body with multiple gunshot wounds in a grassland near a main road in Toa Baja, though they didn't immediately identify who it was. Online, people assumed it was Luciano.

Murder of Transgendered Woman Shocks Puerto Rico

US Could Add 3rd Gender Option to Passports

California Rep. Ro Khanna introduced a bill this week that would add an unspecified gender-neutral option -- "X" -- on U.S. passports for individuals who identify as non-binary or intersex.  Currently, the United States only allows Americans to select male or female on their passports, passport cards and consular reports of birth abroad.

But 15 states -- plus Washington, D.C. -- already allow non-binary ID options, as the number of Americans identifying as neither male or female grows.

According to the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), non-binary individuals are identified as those who "don't neatly fit into the categories of 'man' or 'woman,' or 'male' or "female.'"

The NCTE website says: "Some have a gender that blends elements of being both a man and a woman, or a gender that is different than either male or female," which can include those who identify as transgender.

On the other hand, being intersex means having anatomy or genes that don’t fit typical definitions of male and female.

US Could Add 3rd Gender Option to Passports

Bette Midler to Present at GLAAD Media Awards in NYC

Bette Midler, longtime icon and ally to the LGBTQ community, will make her first-ever appearance at the GLAAD Media Awards this Spring.

The world’s largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization announced this week that the multi award-winning actress, singer, songwriter, and comedian will take the stage as a presenter at the 31st Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York on March 19. She will introduce Ben Platt, her co-star on Netflix’ “The Politician", who is set to perform.

In a statement, GLAAD said of Midler:

“Beloved actress, singer, songwriter, and comedian Bette Midler has garnered accolades across all facets of show business. Midler’s expansive body of work has been recognized with four Grammy Awards, two Academy Award nominations, three Emmy Awards, one Tony Award, three Golden Globe Awards, and nine American Comedy Awards. Midler began her legendary career as an entertainer in 1965 in New York and has long been one of the LGBTQ community’s most vocal and outspoken allies. Most recently, Midler stars alongside Judith Light and Ben Platt in Ryan Murphy’s Golden-Globe nominated series, ‘The Politician,’ which is also nominated for a GLAAD Media Award this year.”

Bette Midler to Present at GLAAD Media Awards in NYC

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 03:43:52 AM »

Tuesday, March 10th, 2020

Refusing to Play It Safe

Ang Lee is one of the most successful film directors of all time.  With nine Oscar nominations and three wins, he has twice beaten Steven Spielberg to the best director prize, becoming the first non-white person ever to receive the award. Parasite ’s Bong Joon-ho was the second.

Born in Taiwan to Chinese parents, Lee moved to America to study film, and made his name with the Father Knows Best trilogy, a series of Asian-financed fish-out-of-water family dramas of which 1991’s Eat Drink Man Woman is the stand-out.

Since then, he has flitted from genre to genre, tackling everything from costume dramas to comic-book blockbusters with conviction, often teaming up with scriptwriter James Schamus. If there’s one strand connecting these disparate films, it is that they are all, in some way, examples of outsider cinema.

Lee has also shown a predilection for literary adaptations, perhaps something to do with his deep feel for character. For his breakthrough, an Oscar-garlanded version of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility written by and starring Emma Thompson, Lee himself was the odd one out. He hadn’t read any Austen and English was his second language.

“I thought they were crazy,” he told The Daily Beast, “I was brought up in Taiwan, what do I know about 19th-century England?” But gradually it came into focus. “In some ways I probably know that 19th-century world better than English people today,” he said to New York magazine, “because I grew up with one foot still in that feudal society.”

Refusing to Play It Safe

Former GOP Rep. Aaron Schock Says He's Gay

Saying he would do more if he were in Congress today to support LGBTQ rights — which he opposed when he served — former Illinois U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock came out as gay Thursday in social media and web posts. In the postings on Instagram and a webpage, the 38-year-old also describes his anguish at being rejected by members of his deeply religious family, including his mother, after they learned last year he was gay.

The longtime Republican laments that he opposed gay marriage while representing his conservative congressional district in central Illinois, noting Democrat and fellow Illinoisan Barack Obama once held a similar position.

“That fact doesn’t make my then position any less wrong, but it’s sometimes easy to forget that it was leaders of both parties who for so long wrongly understood what it was to defend the right to marry,” he writes.

He adds: “The truth is that if I were in Congress today, I would support LGBTQ rights in every way I could.”

The one-time rising GOP star and prolific Republican fundraiser garnered national attention after appearing on the cover of Men’s Health in 2011 showing off his six-pack abs. He successfully marketed himself during six years in Congress as an unwavering fiscal conservative. Schock resigned from Congress in 2015 amid scrutiny of his spending. He was indicted a year later on charges that accused him of illegally dipping into campaign and government coffers to subsidize a lavish lifestyle. But all charges were dropped in 2019 amid criticism of how prosecutors handled the case.

Former GOP Rep. Aaron Schock Says He's Gay

Lesbian Violently Gang Raped by Teenage Boys

A lesbian in South Africa has reportedly been the victim of a violent rape by teenage boys who tried to “correct” her sexuality.

The woman, who has not been named, was walking in Cape Town, South Africa on February 28 after 10pm when she was approached by a man she knows, the Daily Voice reports.The man told her that somebody wanted to talk to her in a house in Duiker Avenue. She went with him to the house where she was allegedly gang raped by three men.

Two of the perpetrators are still teenagers and are aged just 14 and 17, local reports suggest.

Grassy Park station commander Colonel Dawood Laing said one of the rapists put his arm around the woman when she went to the house and told her he was in the mood for sex.  The three attackers – who are members of the area’s Dog Pound gang – allegedly raped the woman before they finally allowed her to leave.

That night, the woman returned to her family home but discovered that her family was asleep. She waited until morning before reporting the crime.  “She went to her girlfriend who called the police and a case was registered,” Laing said.  She was taken to the hospital and officers went on the hunt for the suspects on Monday morning.

Lesbian Violently Gang Raped by Teenage Boys

Carlton Morton Sparks Suicide Fears After Bisexuality Backlash

Carlton Morton, star of the Netflix hit reality series Love is Blind, sparked fears of suicide this week after posting a cryptic response to backlash over his identity as a bisexual Black man.

Morton, whose explosive blowup with short-lived fiancée Diamond Jack became one of the most talked-about moments of the show, took to his Instagram on Tuesday to address the lack of support he’s received since the show’s airing.

“I’m really done,” Morton said in the post. “Black lives matter until it’s an LGBT Black life.”

For those who don’t know, the binge-worthy series sees singles participate in a blind dating experiment to determine if they could find love after getting to know each other in just ten days. The catch is, however, they do so while in walled rooms called “pods” — never getting the chance to meet their soon-to-be fiancé(es) until they’ve already agreed to an engagement.

Morton chose not to tell Jack that he was bisexual until they were already engaged and enjoying their pre-honeymoon. Their fairytale quickly spiraled into a hard-to-watch shouting match that ended with Jack quoting Beyoncé lyrics and Morton making disparaging comments about Jack’s “wig.”

Reactions on social media have been nonstop and have led to heated debates online about bisexuality, specifically bisexual men. In particular, many have accused Morton of leading Jack on. Others have outright said he’s not actually bisexual, but gay.

Carlton Morton Sparks Suicide Fears After Bisexuality Backlash

Arizona House Approves Ban on Transgender Female Athletes

The Arizona House of Representatives passed a ban on transgender students participating in girls’ sports, a measure its sponsor argued is common sense but which opponents contended would allow for discrimination against young athletes.

The emotional hours-long debate on House Bill 2706 culminated in a party-line vote of 31-29, sending the measure to the state Senate, where it will become another flashpoint in the culture wars at the state Capitol.

Rep. Nancy Barto, a Phoenix Republican who is sponsoring the measure, argued it is necessary in the face of a lawsuit in Connecticut brought by the conservative Scottsdale-based group Alliance Defending Freedom and students who argue they unfairly lost out in competition with transgender athletes.

Barto could not cite any such cases in Arizona of students missing out on scholarships or titles, but conservative groups have pushed similar laws across the country this year.

HB 2706 would require interscholastic and intramural leagues to designate sports as co-educational, male or female based on what the law terms "biological sex." Teams or sports designated as "female" would be closed "to students of the male sex."

The law would apply at both public and private schools, including community colleges and universities.

Arizona House Approves Ban on Transgender Female Athletes

‘Genderqueer’ Challenges the Norms of Gender and Identity

Allan Hunter’s debut book “Genderqueer: A Story from a Different Closet” takes a personal look at the topic of gender and the dilemma that comes from not conforming to gender norms. The book brings up an important conversation that needs to be addressed while taking a deep dive into the term “genderqueer.”

When Allan Hunter came out in the spring of 1980, the term genderqueer did not exist. No gender felt like the right fit and it left him without a sense of self — in addition to being surrounded by doubtful peers. It wasn’t until years after he had come out that Hunter learned of the term “genderqueer” and found that it best applied to his situation.

“I didn’t come out as ‘genderqueer’ —  the word hadn’t been invented yet. I explained to people that I was like one of the girls, but unlike the transsexual people they might have read about, I was entirely OK with being male. It wasn’t about sexual orientation,” Hunter said. 

Misconceptions often go hand-in-hand with the discussion of gender. The conversation surrounding gender can be confusing for some who find the term synonymous with a person’s sex.

Someone’s gender may or may not align with the sex they were assigned at birth. Sex is a biological difference between males and females. Gender is more complex and can be harder to explicitly define. It involves society’s expectations of individuals and the corresponding gender roles. It can relate to how someone perceives themselves and identifies as opposed to what body they were born into. Genderqueer is an umbrella term beyond the categories of female or male. Instead, they identify with neither, both or a combination of genders.

‘Genderqueer’ Challenges the Norms of Gender and Identity

Joe Biden Releases Plan for LGBTQ Equality

Former Vice President Joe Biden, surging in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination after a series of recent primary victories, today released his plan to advance LGBTQ equality.

Biden promises to make enactment of the Equality Act during his first 100 days as president a top legislative priority, reverse the transgender military ban as well as military policies that discriminate against people with HIV, work to end suicide among LGBTQ young people, end the misuse of religious exemptions to enable anti-LGBTQ discrimination, address violence against LGBTQ people (something especially affecting transgender women of color), and more, according to a document issued by his presidential campaign.

“Joe Biden believes that every human being should be treated with respect and dignity and be able to live without fear no matter who they are or who they love,” the document begins. “During the Obama-Biden Administration, the United States made historic strides toward LGBTQ+ equality — from the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ to Biden’s historic declaration in support of marriage equality on Meet the Press in 2012 to the unprecedented advancement of protections for LGBTQ+ Americans at the federal level.”

It goes on to note efforts by Donald Trump and Mike Pence to undo this progress “by blocking the ability of transgender individuals to openly serve their country, denying LGBTQ+ people access to critical health care, proposing policies allowing federally funded homeless shelters to turn away transgender people and federally funded adoption agencies to reject same-sex couples, and failing to address the epidemic of violence against transgender people — particularly transgender women of color.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:54:36 AM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »

Tuesday, March 17th, 2020

Michelle Williams & the Films of Kelly Reichardt

Over the course of less than a decade, Michelle Williams went from no one’s favorite cast member on Dawson’s Creek to one of the most acclaimed actors of her generation. Since her dramatic 2005 breakthrough with Brokeback Mountain, Williams has received four Academy Award nominations, two Golden Globes, and one Emmy; given several credible musical performances; and briefly made out with Tom Hardy while possessed by Venom, among other accomplishments. Yet it’s hard to avoid just how often her roles could be described as another character’s wife.

That’s a reductive way of referring to her exemplary work in Brokeback Mountain, Blue Valentine, and Manchester By The Sea, to be sure. A more nuanced characterization of the common ground between these movies would be that they all feature Williams exploring the many dimensions of marriage, partnership, and grief. Yet as often as not, they still place Williams in roles that are secondary or, at best, equal to the film’s leading man. That’s not the case for her three films with writer-director Kelly Reichardt. In Wendy And Lucy (2008), Meek’s Cutoff (2010), and Certain Women (2016), Williams’ characters have an autonomy that sets them apart from the rest of her filmography. This is true even when she plays unhappy spouses for Reichardt, as she does in both Certain Women and Meek’s Cutoff.

It’s not that Reichardt always specializes in the liberation of actresses from stock parts. Some of her movies, including Old Joy and the just-released First Cow, are detailed portraits of male friendship with few women in them at all, and in an interview about Certain Women on that film’s Criterion disc, Reichardt recalls feeling conflicted about the film’s title potentially pigeonholing it as a “women’s movie.” It’s more that her films are so intensely observational, so willing to prioritize behavior over plot, that nearly any leading performers will get an unusual amount of time to themselves. Williams, who so often shares onscreen space with intense, charismatic actors like Ryan Gosling or Heath Ledger, particularly benefits from the solitude.

Michelle Williams & the Films of Kelly Reichardt

L.A. Gay Pride Postponed

The coronavirus pandemic has claimed another major event: L.A. Gay Pride.

The West Hollywood festival is a huge draw for the city, attracting an estimated 200,000 to various events in June.

The Twitter account for the festival, @LAPride, posted the announcement Thursday afternoon in what marks one of the first major events postponed months from now. Many of the latest postponements and cancellations — from NCAA's March Madness and SXSW to the Tribeca Film Festival and CinemaCon — have been for major events in March and April, while word is still out for some May events. Gay Pride was scheduled to run June 12-14 in what was to be a commemorative event celebrating its 50th anniversary. More than 200,000 typically turn out over the course of the weekend for street fairs, celebrities, performances and a colorful parade.

"Due to the concerns of COVID-19, [event organizer Christopher Street West] will postpone all events related to the 50th Anniversary of LA Pride that were scheduled for June 2020," read the tweet. "Organizers are assessing the situation. More information to be provided around the postponement as details become available."

It's unclear when the organization will settle on a new date. June is typically the biggest month for gay pride as it was chosen to mark the historic Stonewall riots, which happened at the end of June 1969. The event's website only teases "new dates coming soon" for the Verizon-presented festival. 

L.A. Gay Pride Postponed

A Lesbian And A Top?

Q: I’m a woman in my first relationship with another woman. She told me that she’s a “top,” which I didn’t even know was a thing for lesbians? What did she mean by that?

Welcome to the world of same-sex dating! Every new relationship can be fun and exciting, but a new relationship with someone whose gender you've never dated before can come with its own set of questions — and this is a great one. The very first thing I recommend you do in order to answer this question is ask your girlfriend. If she used the term “top,” she probably has a very clear understanding of what that means for her. It’s an identifier — it’s her identifier — and she chose it for a reason. So find out what that reason is!

But I understand that it can be tricky to ask those questions, especially if you’re in a new relationship, and double-especially if you’re also dating a person of a different gender from what you're used to.

It sounds like you’ve heard the term “top” before, just not when applied to lesbian relationships. It’s usually used in two sexual contexts: when referring to gay men and BDSM. Understanding how it's used in both of those settings can make figuring out what “top” means for lesbians a little easier.

A Lesbian And A Top?

Stephanie Matto And Her Bisexuality

90 Day Fiancé often faces accusations of fabrication and frauding, especially during its most recent season. Now, with 90 Day Fiancé: Before the 90 Days Season 4 airing, TLC is facing similar accusations once more. This time, some viewers aren’t so sure whether or not they believe Stephanie Matto when she claims this is her first bisexual experience. Some viewers have been questioning how sincere she is about her interest in her Australian love, Erika Owens. Now, Matto is firing back at people questioning the legitimacy of her sexuality.

During her premiere on 90 Day Fiancé: Before the 90 Days, Stephanie Matto admitted that she had dated women in the past, but claims she has yet to come out as bisexual to her family yet. She seemed especially worried about how her mother might react.  However, fans have noticed that Matto could be bending the truth a little bit. Matto has a YouTube channel with a hefty following. On her channel, she has a video entitled, “I Was in Love With a Girl | My First Bisexual Experience.”

While this doesn’t contradict Matto’s statement that she’s dated women in the past, it does have some fans wondering how her mother isn’t aware yet. Matto’s YouTube channel has 351,000 subscribers, and the video has been viewed almost 70,000 times. Could her mother really be unaware?

This same question has fans wondering how legitimate Matto’s storyline is, with some fans even wondering if she’s truly bisexual, or if she’s just doing it for the subscribers.

Stephanie Matto And Her Bisexuality

Transgender Man Yearns to Join Military

Nic Talbott keeps himself busy, working as a substitute teacher, studying for a master’s degree, helping with chores at his grandmother’s farm. He also finds time, almost daily, for rigorous workouts — to ensure he is in shape in case his dream job, serving in the U.S. military, becomes available.

For now, that door is closed to him by the Trump administration for one reason: He’s transgender.

Talbott, 26, was elated in 2016 when the Pentagon — with a green light from then-President Barack Obama — announced that transgender people already serving in the military would be allowed to do so openly. President Donald Trump, six months after replacing Obama, announced with a tweet in July 2017 that he would reverse that policy and bar transgender individuals from serving in any capacity in the military.

Four lawsuits were filed in federal courts challenging Trump’s policy, including one in which Talbott is a plaintiff. The suits are pending, but the Supreme Court last year ruled that the ban could go into effect while the litigation continued. The ban was formally implemented on April 12, 2019.

Some transgender people who hoped to enlist have moved on to other pursuits, but Talbott refuses to give up on a career aspiration that dates to his childhood.

“At this point, I am not looking at other options,” he said. “I know this is what I’m supposed to be doing, and I know there are thousands of other transgender people like me. We shouldn’t have to settle for a Plan B.”

Transgender Man Yearns to Join Military

‘Queer’ Increasingly Embraced As Identity Marker

Lea Grover has used the terms bisexual and LGBTQ, but queer, she says, is a better fit.

Grover, 35, likes that queer encompasses a wider range of gender identities and sexual orientations than even LGBTQIAA, a shifting acronym for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning/queer, intersex and asexual people, and their allies.  She likes that it’s easier to say, and there’s no danger of leaving out a letter. And then, as a bisexual woman married to a straight man, she likes the way the term shuts down intrusive questions about her sexual history with women.

“It’s sort of a relief” to be able to call herself queer, said Grover, a writer who lives in Chicago’s western suburbs. “It’s like here’s a word (for me), instead of all the other words.”

The word queer, spotlighted last week when the actress Jameela Jamil used it to come out on social media, is increasingly popular and accepted, with a 2016 survey finding that 90% of LGBTQ students at a college conference felt comfortable using the word to refer to sexual orientation. The Chicago Park District’s Queering the Parks initiative presented an LGBTQ prom called the MasQUEERade Ball in November, and local groups such as Chicago Queer Sober Social use the term proudly.

“There’s a real generational shift,” said University of Illinois at Chicago sociology professor Barbara J. Risman, author of “Where the Millennials Will Take Us: A New Generation Wrestles With the Gender Structure.”

‘Queer’ Increasingly Embraced As Identity Marker

Former Vice President Joe Biden, surging in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination after a series of recent primary victories, today released his plan to advance LGBTQ equality.

Biden promises to make enactment of the Equality Act during his first 100 days as president a top legislative priority, reverse the transgender military ban as well as military policies that discriminate against people with HIV, work to end suicide among LGBTQ young people, end the misuse of religious exemptions to enable anti-LGBTQ discrimination, address violence against LGBTQ people (something especially affecting transgender women of color), and more, according to a document issued by his presidential campaign.

“Joe Biden believes that every human being should be treated with respect and dignity and be able to live without fear no matter who they are or who they love,” the document begins. “During the Obama-Biden Administration, the United States made historic strides toward LGBTQ+ equality — from the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ to Biden’s historic declaration in support of marriage equality on Meet the Press in 2012 to the unprecedented advancement of protections for LGBTQ+ Americans at the federal level.”

It goes on to note efforts by Donald Trump and Mike Pence to undo this progress “by blocking the ability of transgender individuals to openly serve their country, denying LGBTQ+ people access to critical health care, proposing policies allowing federally funded homeless shelters to turn away transgender people and federally funded adoption agencies to reject same-sex couples, and failing to address the epidemic of violence against transgender people — particularly transgender women of color.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »

Tuesday, March 24th, 2020

'Brokeback Mountain' opera composer Charles Wuorinen dies at 81

Charles Wuorinen, winner of the 1970 Pulitzer Prize in Music and composer of the operas “Brokeback Mountain” and “Haroun and the Sea of Stories,” died from injuries sustained in a fall last September. He was 81.

Wuorinen, who composed more than 270 works, died Wednesday at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, spokeswoman Aleba Gartner said Thursday.  Known for much of his career as an admirer of the 12-tone system of composition, Wuorinen was opinionated.

“We have a world in which the instant response of the untutored becomes the sole criterion for judgment,″ he told The New York Times in 1988, ahead of his 50th birthday. “A great work like a Beethoven symphony becomes like a blob of toothpaste. There is the bored orchestra. There are the indifferent audiences. They wait it through. They applaud. They leave.”

Just two years ago, he decried the awarding of that year’s Pulitzer Prize in Music to hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar, telling the Times that signaled “the final disappearance of any societal interest in high culture.”

Born in New York on June 9, 1938, Wuorinen’s father, John, was chairman of Columbia University’s history department. Wuorinen received a bachelor’s degree from Columbia in 1961 and a master’s in music two years later.

'Brokeback Mountain' opera composer Charles Wuorinen dies at 81

Texas Judge Sues State Commission

A judge in Texas is suing a state commission because he wants to be able to refuse to marry same-sex couples.

Jack County District Judge Brian Umphress sued all 13 of the members of Texas’s Commission on Judicial Conduct because they gave another judge an “official warning” for refusing to marry same-sex couples. Umphress argues that being forced to marry same-sex couples violates his First Amendment rights to free speech and freedom of religion.

Umphress’s federal lawsuit stems from a case from late last year involving McLennan County Justice of the Peace Dianne Hensley (R). Since the Supreme Court legalized marriage equality across the U.S. in its 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges decision, she has been refusing to perform marriages for same-sex couples even though she still performs them for opposite-sex couples, arguing that same-sex marriages “offend” God.

Since 2016, same-sex couples that ask her to officiate their wedding got a notice telling them that she “has a sincerely held religious belief as a Christian, and will not be able to perform any same-sex weddings.”

In Waco, Texas, where she’s based, she is the only judge still performing marriages at all in the wake of Obergefell. Elected judges don’t have to perform marriages in Texas; it’s something they can do for extra cash in their spare time.

Texas Judge Sues State Commission

Lesbian Officers Sue Michigan Corrections Department

Michelle Wood worked for the Michigan Department of Corrections for 26 years, and she had hoped to make it an even 30. But Wood, 52, said she was forced to leave her job as a prison guard in October 2018 after being subjected to discrimination and harassment because of her sexual orientation.

“The job in and of itself is extremely dangerous and stressful,” Wood told NBC News. “It just made it to the point where there was no joy in going in there anymore.”

Wood worked at the Thumb Correctional Facility in Lapeer, Michigan, with her girlfriend, Loretta Smith, 53, who was transferred to the facility in 2015. Wood said she was frequently targeted by co-workers, who she said called her derogatory terms for being a lesbian.

The harassment was more than just verbal, Wood recalled. “When I would leave the computer, people would go over and change my screensaver when I wasn't looking,” she said. “It just got ridiculous.”

Wood took three months of medical leave for stress in 2018 after she was allegedly stalked by a co-worker known to make derogatory statements about gay men. Wood said she was scheduled to make an early morning trip to Flint to get emergency medical care for an inmate when she realized she was being followed.

Lesbian Officers Sue Michigan Corrections Department

90 Day Fiancé: Usman Confirms He’s Bisexual

Usman from 90 Day Fiancé: Before the 90 Days confirmed that he is bisexual amid the rumors that he and Lisa are divorcing. The couple has gotten off to a rocky start and it looks as if it will only get worse as jealous Lisa is not happy about having to worry about not only women around her husband, but men too.

Lisa first met Usman, known by his stage name SojaBoy, when the rapper slid into her private messages on Facebook. The mother of one who was divorced and did not take the Nigerian’s advances seriously at first as the two would only talk via Facebook messenger and she noticed he had a massive following of women. Their relationship moved on to texting and eventually FaceTime which included a multitude of emojis and sexy talk. The two soon became engaged after two years of speaking even though major red flags have been waved which included an age difference. The two have finally met on the show, even consummating their relationship in which Usman called "70% good." Pictures have leaked of Usman and Lisa's wedding, which proves that they have, in fact, tied the knot.

However, it looks as though it's no longer wedded bliss for this couple. In the past few weeks, there seemed to be trouble in paradise especially when fans noticed Lisa calling out Usman on her social media platforms. The two have been feeding fuel to the fire with rumors that they were actually divorced. Last week, Lisa posted memes aimed at the Nigerian saying he slept in bed with another man while his reply was to grovel on his Facebook telling Lisa he loved her. Since Usman is a well-known star in his country, he decided to do a question and answer segment with his fans according to Soap Dirt. During the interview, Usman was said to have answered some pretty basic questions that were about his relationship with Lisa or as he likes to call her "Baby girl Lisa."

90 Day Fiancé: Usman Confirms He’s Bisexual

Transgender News Anchor

Diana Zurco didn't attend her high school graduation. That's because she refused to receive a diploma with her birth name. At 17 and considered a boy by school officials, she grew her hair long and adopted the name Diana.

Now 40, she recalls her youthful rebellion while sitting in a comfortable chair in the studio of Argentina's public television station days ahead of her debut as the country’s first transgender newscaster. It's a milestone for an excluded community that is often the victim of violence and discrimination.

“My presence challenges society,” she said in the smooth voice of a professional announcer that she used on Monday when she began her job as co-anchor of Public Television's prime time evening news program.  "It is an invitation to society that says: 'This is me; behind me there are more people like me who want to express themselves. We are capable, we can study, we can train ourselves, we can communicate to you what is happening in our country,'" Zurco told The Associated Press in an interview.

The government estimates Argentina has between 12,000 and 13,000 transgender adults out of a population that exceeds 44 million.

“It is a small group and ordinary people don’t know a trans [person] firsthand. This lack of connection in daily life fuels prejudice and discrimination,” said Esteban Paulón, executive director of the Institute for LGBT+ Public Policies.

Transgender News Anchor

A Conversation With Intersex Ireland

A small group of individuals have come together to form a new organisation called Intersex Ireland – a group set up to support intersex people and their families, educate wider society, and advance the rights and equality of all intersex individuals across the country.

Definition: “Intersex people are individuals born with any of several variations in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, or genitals that do not fit the typical definitions for male or female bodies”.

It’s believed 1.78 % of the population have an intersex variation, and, as a result, there are many variants that few people in Ireland consider. Intersex conditions – that someone isn’t typically male or female – can emerge at different life stages. Intersex variations can be evident at birth or perhaps can become evident in adolescence, as an individual’s body doesn’t develop as expected. It is not unusual for variations to become clearer in later life either.

Traditionally, even before birth, parents want to know the gender of their child – whether it’s a boy or a girl. Friends and family consistently ask if the parents know the gender. When a child is born and there’s this ambiguity, doctors have often been quick to intervene in order to fit the child into the gender binary. This can result, later in life, in people’s intimate lives being negatively impacted because of complications.

There is a lack of knowledge and education in society on intersex issues and only a handful of activists, such as Gavan Coleman, have been working in this area. Intersex Ireland has been set up to support Gavan’s work, support our community and advocate for our rights.

A Conversation With Intersex Ireland

Elizabeth Warren As An LGBT+ Ally

Elizabeth Warren bowed out of the Democratic presidential nomination race. Wrapping up a bid to unseat US president Donald Trump typified by tireless trans activism, biting anti-billionaire policies and, of course, a lot of piles of paper.  As the race to spar with Trump essentially falls to two men, Warren’s campaign is not one to be forgotten.

She launched herself into a race typically packed with lithe grey hair and big bank accounts. Proving that through policy plans, urgent anti-corruption pledges and funding a campaign without fund-raisers, a credible campaign can be made.

And, vitally, she showed how allies should and can go above and beyond to empower, fight on behalf of and show their sincere love for the LGBT+ community.

Her policies centred LGBT+ lives, vowing to pass the Equality Act, preventing the weaponisation of religion to harm queer people, blanket banning conversion therapy, ensure identification documents are trans and non-binary-inclusive and require all schools teach LGBT-inclusive education.

She had a plan for everything, after all.  Click the link to see a handful of moments, in an unflinching 13-month campaign, where Warren set the standard of allyship.

Elizabeth Warren As An LGBT+ Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »

Tuesday, March 31st, 2020

10 Behind-The-Scenes About "Brokeback"

At the 78th Academy Awards, when Paul Haggis’ Crash was announced as the Best Picture winner, there was an audible gasp throughout the venue. Pretty much everyone in there – including the award’s announcer, Jack Nicholson – was expecting Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain to win. Lee’s film was a beautiful, tragic love story, a stepping stone for LGBTQ+ representation in mainstream Hollywood cinema, and undeniably one of the finest movies of 2005.

Crash wasn’t a bad movie, but it was a lot more heavy-handed and a lot less emotionally resonant than Brokeback Mountain. So, here are 10 interesting details from the making of Brokeback Mountain.

I'm sure that most Brokies know most of these items, but give the list a look over, you may find something out that surprises you.

10 Behind-The-Scenes About "Brokeback"

Restrictions on Gay Blood Donors

A group of senators are calling on the federal government to lift policies restricting gay and bisexual men from giving blood amid a nationwide donation shortage. Currently, men who have sex with men must remain celibate for a year before they are permitted to donate.

The 15 senators sent a letter to the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday urging authorities to “shift away from antiquated and stigmatizing donation policies” to address a need for blood donations during the outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

“We must take every possible step to secure our nation’s blood supply in this critical time,” the senators wrote, advocating for donation policies that are “scientifically sound, based on individual risk, and inclusive of all potential healthy blood donors.”

As of March 16, the American Red Cross reported that social distancing and self-isolation to prevent coronavirus’ spread had resulted in the cancellation of 2,700 blood drives and 86,000 fewer donations. During a March 19 briefing of President Donald Trump’s coronavirus task force, Surgeon General Jerome Adams called on all Americans to address this critical shortage by giving blood, saying that “one donation can save up to three lives.”

Under regulations put into place in 2015, gay and bisexual men must refrain from sex for a year before they are permitted to donate blood. These guidelines, which were instituted under the Obama administration, replaced a 1983 rule that banned any man who engaged in sexual contact with another man from donating for life. That policy had been a relic of the early days of the AIDS epidemic, when little was known about the disease or how to test for it.

Restrictions on Gay Blood Donors

Lesbian Asaulted to "Fix The Gay"

Salt Lake City police arrested a man they said sexually assaulted a lesbian and told her he would "fix the gay."

Adam Quinn Atwood, 34, was arrested Wednesday on charges of object rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and forcible sexual abuse, according to jail records.  The case is being investigated as a hate crime, Det. Greg Wilking of the Salt Lake City Police Department told NBC News on Friday.

The woman, who told police she is gay, said she visited a friend in Salt Lake City on Sunday night and that at some point, the friend fell asleep. The woman said she continued talking with the friend's husband, whom she identified as Atwood, and that he "began touching and grabbing her," according to the police affidavit.

She said Atwood then sexually assaulted her, and when she said "no" and told him to stop, he allegedly asked "if she was sure she didn’t like it" and "if she was sure she was gay," the affidavit states.   When she tried to leave, the woman said Atwood grabbed her by the back of the neck, forced her back into the house and took her to the basement where he choked her and again sexually assaulted her, according to the affidavit.

The woman said she kept telling Atwood that she doesn’t like men in an attempt to get him to stop and that he "told her he was going to fix the gay," according to the affidavit.   After more physical and sexual abuse, the woman told police she was eventually able to escape.

Lesbian Asaulted to "Fix The Gay"

Michelle Visage Doesn't Identify as Bisexual

RuPaul’s Drag Race judge Michelle Visage considers herself a part of the “community,”  having been in the New York City club scene in the ’80s during the height of HIV and AIDS and an ally to LGBTQ people for 30 years. Despite having been with men and women in those days, Visage doesn’t ID as bisexual, which she explained in an interview with The Guardian.

Visage, a former member of the girl group Seduction (which scored 4 Top 30 Billboard Hot 100 hits), shared details about her club days in her 2015 memoir The Diva Rules.

When asked in the Guardian interview if she identified as bi at the time, she replied, “No, when I grew up that wasn’t really a thing. If it was, it was gay boys who would come out as bisexual first because it was easier for them. It was just if I saw a pretty girl and I was attracted to her, why not?”

Visage, who has been married to David Case for 22 years, was then prompted to say whether or not it would be easier to respond to detractors who say she’s not a part of the community by answering that she’s bisexual.

“It would be easier, but I don’t feel like the easy way out is always the right way out. I don’t want to take anything away from somebody who’s truly living a bisexual lifestyle,” Visage said without expounding or being asked further about it.

Michelle Visage Doesn't Identify as Bisexual

Transgender Legal Group Releases Coronavirus Guide

The Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund has prepared a free online guide, available in both English and Spanish, for transgender and non-binary individuals attempting to navigate life during the coronavirus pandemic.

“A Know Your Rights Guide for Transgender People Navigating COVID-19,” which contains information that was accurate as of March 22, explores both trans-specific concerns and equity concerns that disproportionately impact trans and non-binary individuals, such as issues involving employment, housing and health care. It also features a national appendix of health and advocacy resources.

The guide stresses the existence of a pandemic does not void the fact that trans and non-binary individuals are entitled to receive care and access to services. As TLDEF interprets federal law within this guide, medical providers must address individuals by the names and pronouns that they use and provide individuals access to facilities consistent with their identities.

The guide encourages trans and non-binary individuals to self-advocate by knowing their rights and, if feeling ill, contacting a medical provider or a state health department hotline.

Transgender Legal Group Releases Coronavirus Guide

Marvel Comics Criticized For Non-Binary Hero Named ‘Snowflake’

Marvel Comics has introduced its first ever non-binary superhero, but reaction on social media has been far from positive.

Snowflake, as the hero is known, debuts in The New Warriors one-shot comic “Outlawed,” alongside their twin brother Safespace.

They are the creation of Emmy-nominated writer Daniel Kibblesmith — whose Marvel credits include Loki and Black Panther Vs. Deadpool — and queer artist Luciano Vecchio, whose credits include The New Warriors and Ironheart.

Marvel said the characters are “hyper aware of modern culture and optics” and see their Super Heroics as “a post-ironic meditation on using violence to combat bullying.”

“Snowflake and Safespace are the twins,” Kibblesmith said in a release, “and their names are very similar to Screentime; it’s this idea that these are terms that get thrown around on the internet that they don’t see as derogatory. [They] take those words and kind of wear them as badges of honor."

“Safespace is a big, burly, sort of stereotypical jock. He can create forcefields, but he can only trigger them if he’s protecting somebody else. Snowflake is non-binary and goes by they/them, and has the power to generate individual crystalized snowflake-shaped shurikens,” Kibblesmith continued.

Marvel Comics Criticized For Non-Binary Hero Named ‘Snowflake’

Women on The Rise

All across the country women are running for office, winning and advancing the rights for LGBTQ people.

From trailblazing figures of our past, to champions on the front lines of today’s movement, women have been at the heart of the fight for equality. For Women’s History Month, HRC is shining a light on openly LGBTQ women leaders and allies who are leading on LGBTQ-inclusive bills in the battleground states of Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio and Wisconsin, as well as in our nation’s capital.

In a huge 2018 midterm victory, Gretchen Whitmer defeated anti-LGBTQ Attorney General Bill Schuette, and as her first order of business, Whitmer signed an executive order to provide workplace protections for LGBTQ employees of the state. Building off this momentum, she has joined openly LGBTQ state legislators in support of amending the Elliott Larsen Civil Rights Act to guarantee protections in housing, workplace and public accommodations to all LGBTQ people living in the state. Gov. Whitmer also made history by flying the Pride flag for the first time in Michigan’s Governor’s office, signifying to all LGBTQ Michiganders that their leader sees them, accepts them and will fight for them.

This year, Ohio’s State Rep. Mary Lightbody introduced a bill to protect LGBTQ youth from the dangerous and abusive practice of so-called “conversion therapy,” and State Sen. Mallory McMorrow introduced a similar bill in Michigan. Both of these bills would dramatically improve the lives of many Americans by helping end the patchwork of protections that currently leaves so many at the mercy of their ZIP code to define their rights.

Women on The Rise

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives