The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 3  (Read 31194 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 3
« Reply #690 on: April 02, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »
Netflix removed WEEDS from their selection, right when I was just starting on Season 2..........WTH?

They remind me of public libraries that 'purge' the shelves of books that haven't been checked out for a certain period of time. This is the second time this happened to me with Netflix. Tooooo many series and films being made, I guess, or the library is too small!  :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #691 on: April 02, 2021, 12:09:20 PM »

The double dose of Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Organized Crime last night was just okay to me. The personal situation with Stabler was so predictable as to why it happened that it annoyed me. The fact that over two episodes the resolution of the storyline was continued made the whole thing unsatisfying. Now I'm wondering if the whole Organized Crime series is an ongoing storyline and not a series with individual cases/stories each week. The opening credits list Dylan McDermott in the cast and so I was surprised that he's a bad guy--on the other side of the law--so that's why I think it might be an ongoing storyline series.

Meh.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #692 on: April 02, 2021, 12:11:06 PM »

On the other hand, the return of Manifest at 8pm, new day and time, was welcome!
The last episode they aired was one year ago!

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #693 on: April 02, 2021, 03:45:00 PM »
The double dose of Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Organized Crime last night was just okay to me. The personal situation with Stabler was so predictable as to why it happened that it annoyed me. The fact that over two episodes the resolution of the storyline was continued made the whole thing unsatisfying. Now I'm wondering if the whole Organized Crime series is an ongoing storyline and not a series with individual cases/stories each week. The opening credits list Dylan McDermott in the cast and so I was surprised that he's a bad guy--on the other side of the law--so that's why I think it might be an ongoing storyline series.

Meh.

Meh is right. I wasn't impressed. I'm glad to see the return of Eliot Stabler, but you could see the Kathy Stabler plot point coming blindfolded. I'm not clear on who he was working for in Rome.

I also had the impression that the organized crime thing with Dylan McDermott will be ongoing, and that made me kind of groan inwardly. It might not be too bad if it's threaded through episodes that are self-contained--I mean, a plot is worked out within one episode.

I'm wondering, too, if we've not seen the last of Olivia Benson crossing over to Organized Crime, as she and Stabler haven't worked out their differences. When she said, "You were the most important person in my life," l kind of went, "Oh, no. ..."

I recognized the voice of Dylan McDermott's first wife from ... somewhere. Finally I placed her: Tamara Taylor was Emily Deschanel's boss on Bones.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #694 on: April 03, 2021, 04:40:51 AM »
I appreciate knowing that, Sara B! I have been meaning to watch more of Virgin River but ever since Covid-19 happened, my ability to concentrate has been rather low and messy. So for me the time I have spent watching TV has decreased.

Hi frokes.

Thought Id better get back to you on this, though it probably wont make any difference to you.

I continued to enjoy season 2 of Virgin River, but beware! Not only did couple of important plotlines remain unresolved at the end of it, but two more cliffhangers were introduced in the last 10 minutes! I felt I was being completely manipulated. There is going to be another series, and I expect Ill watch it, but probably something similar will happen at the end of that. :)

I do enjoy how all the main characters have their faults, but are still very likeable (love Jack). And the summer scenery is even better than the winter, though it still seemed to rain a lot!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #695 on: April 03, 2021, 08:40:50 AM »

Meh.
Same for me, Lyle. I loved Meloni in the first series, and in OZ, of course!  ;D....but this reunion underwhelmed me. I almost didn't watch the whole thing. I wanted to watch Meloni's new show too, so I could see what role Dylan was going to play in it. I have it on series record, so I'll give it a few more tries. The chemistry between Chris and Mariska is gone, IMHO, you understand?  ;)
As is usual for me, I was MORE interested in Dylan's ex-wife, and Meloni's young Son than in the other characters or storyline!  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #696 on: April 03, 2021, 12:29:46 PM »

Hmmm...all of us kinda agree about this! I'm a little surprised. I'll give it a little time and see how it goes.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #697 on: April 03, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »

I wasn't looking for it, but I happened to see a plot synopsis for the April 19th returning episode of 9-1-1.

SPOILER if you don't want to know anything beforehand.

Title: Blindsided
Athena and the 118 race to save lives after a drunk driver causes a disastrous pile-up on the freeway.
Meanwhile, Maddie goes into labor and then Hen and Karen are devastated as they prepare their foster
daughter, Nia, to be reunited with her birth mother.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #698 on: April 03, 2021, 03:53:30 PM »
^^^ I just watched SVU + OC.  Ditto on being underwhelmed.  Big shoes to re-fill.  I'll give 3-6 episodes before I really decide.  I've been watching SVU since it started, sort of like NCIS.  It's hard to believe that Harmon is ~ 70.  Someone told me the latest arch on the show is because he wanted to retire but was told by the PTB that if he left, they would cancel the show.... So he didn't want to put everyone out of work... so this becomes and easing out like they did with "Duckie"..   IDK if that's true, accurate or not.  V.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #699 on: April 03, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
I wasn't looking for it, but I happened to see a plot synopsis for the April 19th returning episode of 9-1-1.

SPOILER if you don't want to know anything beforehand.

Title: Blindsided
Athena and the 118 race to save lives after a drunk driver causes a disastrous pile-up on the freeway.
Meanwhile, Maddie goes into labor and then Hen and Karen are devastated as they prepare their foster
daughter, Nia, to be reunited with her birth mother.

I've been more or less expecting two out of the three--Maddie going into labor, and Hen and Karen facing giving up Nia. Before the Winter finale, Maddie looked ready to go any minute (we already know the baby is a girl), and the social worker told Hen and Karen they were working to reunite Nia with her birth mother (like, yeah, in the end that's gonna happen). A real surprise might be if something goes wrong with Maddie's delivery, or something happens to the baby. JLH does tragedy, doesn't she?

Inquiring minds really want to know what's up with Buck's love life, and what's going to happen with Eddie and Ana Flores.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #700 on: April 06, 2021, 08:44:39 PM »
Danny Pino is definitely one of those men who looks much better with age. He was ok looking younger, but really looks good now!

I finally got around to looking for pictures of him. He certainly looks good. He's aging well, but for my taste he was more than just OK-looking when he was younger--he was falling-down gorgeous. He's sexy for a guy pushing 50. His face has more character now than when he was young.

I didn't realize Cold Case ran for as many seasons as it did. I liked the show--but I watched it for Danny Pino!  :laugh:

The show's Wikipedia article is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Case

Turns out that Tracie Thoms was in the cast; she now plays Hen's wife Karen on 9-1-1.

The show ran on Roku last year but was never released on home video (too bad) because of licensing issues over the music. It's been so long that I forgot the show used period-appropriate music.

So then looking up Cold Case reminded me of another show I liked: Anybody else remember Without a Trace? That was another show with another hot young Hispanic guy--Enrique Murciano.

So, I sense a theme here:

Ryan Guzman, 9-1-1
Wilmer Valderama, N.C.I.S
Danny Pino, Cold Case, L&O: SVU
Enrique Murciano, Without a Trace

:laugh:

I could also add Santiago Cabrera. ... ::)

He's been around a lot, but to me personally he's most memorable as Aramis in The Musketeers.

(Without a Trace also had handsome Eric Close, so I give that show extra credit.  :laugh:  )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:44:17 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #701 on: April 07, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »
The show ran on Roku last year but was never released on home video (too bad) because of licensing issues over the music.

You'd think that knowing the issues music rights have caused since the advent of home media that shows produced in "at least the last twenty years," would solve this issue upfront so that "licensing issues over the music" wouldn't still happen over new shows. The music nazis have held up so many things from being released. How did they get so ingrained? I mean, things aren't held up for the other components of making films and TV. You don't hear, "I wrote that dialogue and so you can't use it in that media unless you pay again." I half expect when I'm walking down the street and hum a song that some ASCAP lawyer will come out from behind a car and tell me I owe them money. Someone I'm familiar with was at a baseball game a couple years ago when they were showing fireworks to music and they recorded some crowd stuff at the game and put it on youtube. It got taken down because there was music in the background (duh) and the sound on the video was considered copyright infringement.

In Jake's film Jarhead, the director, Sam Mendes asked him to improvise a scene and to use a song (of his choosing) and he did. When the clearance people came back later and said to use that in the film it will cost $500,000 (a half a million dollars!) the director was flabbergasted. Who wouldn't be?

When Universal first put JAWS on VHS tapes there was a couple bars of music in a scene on the radio that had to be cleared and whoever owned the rights to it was like "Jaws!!! The blockbuster? I see a fortune coming my way." When Spielberg found out how much it would cost (I don't what that was) he pretty much said, F-you. We'll replace it with something else for home video.

One more instance: There are two episodes of The Addams Family where Carolyn Jones has just had an interaction with "Thing" and as she walks away she sings "It's so nice to have a Thing around the house." (I'm assuming people know it's a slight rewording of the song "It's So Nice to Have a Man Around the House."). Again--music nazis intervened for ransom and so those two 5 second bits had to be edited out of the episodes on home video.

All of Warners famous detective shows have never been on home video because of music rights: 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside-6 and Bourbon Street Beat. They all had a character in them that often sang. Cricket (Connie Stevens) in Hawaiian Eye, was a nightclub singer. Someone often sang in the restaurant/nightclub next door in 77 Sunset Strip, etc. One might wonder why these series would end up on the shelf since when they were produced, they all used music from Warner Music, which was set up in the late 50's. Well, at some point Warner Bros. sold Warner Music off to a separate entity and that meant the new entity and not Warner Bros. would have to be negotiated with. It's all so screwy.

You can tell this is a real pet peeve of mine, especially when you start hearing about how so many things are delayed, forgotten or screwed up because of this. I'm sure most people have no idea. There are few variety shows on home media because of music rights. Almost all of Dean Martin's variety series that are available to watch on DVD are about 25-35 minutes each, when they should be 50-52 minutes. Most of Dean's solo song numbers are excised. (!) The show was on for 9 years and there have only been 6 programs released that are the full uncut programs. A recent Time-Life release of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour and Cher program fares a bit better with most of the episodes 40-45 mins. When you've got variety shows whose hosts are singers and you have to edit out their songs, it's noticeable. It's not as noticeable when the variety show hosts are comedians. Somehow, The Carol Burnett Show has been able to release a lot of episodes with no, or few, music rights issues. Laugh-In had previously released about 40 episodes in the 46 minute running time, but when they released the entire series a few years ago it seems they somehow got the rights to release all 140 episodes uncut and they all run 51-52 minutes. That series had it easier since most, but not all, of the music was in house and written for the show.

I'll stop now!  8)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #702 on: April 07, 2021, 11:56:37 AM »
Lyle, I hope I don't set you off again,  ;D  but it occurred to me to wonder if "Peter Gunn" was ever released on home video. That theme is a classic.

Some years ago, I bought a DVD with a few episodes of "The Beverley Hillbillies." The episodes did NOT begin with "The Ballad of Jed Clampett"--which was written for the show fergawd's sakes.

On the other hand, every DVD I have of "Petticoat Junction" and "Daniel Boone" include the opening theme music.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #703 on: April 08, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
Lyle, I hope I don't set you off again,  ;D  but it occurred to me to wonder if "Peter Gunn" was ever released on home video. That theme is a classic.

Peter Gunn was on ABC for 2 seasons and NBC for it's 3rd season. Shout Factory has released the complete series on DVD and it can be ordered directly from them or from retailers like Deep Discount and Amazon etc.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #704 on: April 08, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »

Some years ago, I bought a DVD with a few episodes of "The Beverley Hillbillies." The episodes did NOT begin with "The Ballad of Jed Clampett"--which was written for the show fergawd's sakes.

There are unofficial releases with episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction out there, mostly dubious quality, but have other music for the credits. Someone gave me a set of television Christmas episodes once that has one of Petticoat Junction and three of The Beverly Hillbillies episodes on it that are this way. How they can release the episodes is one thing, but notice they take no chances with the music. (Music nazis--like I've said.)

That's why you'll see the official releases advertised as such:

In further MUSIC NAZI NEWS: There has been a lawsuit from the music rights holders to The Andy Griffith Show that is threatening to hold up or cancel any further releases from that series.

CBS Sued Over 'Andy Griffith Show' Theme Song
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/cbs-sued-andy-griffith-show-theme-song-1213484