The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 3  (Read 53332 times)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 3
« Reply #1020 on: October 13, 2021, 01:30:49 PM »

Christopher Meloni has a nice role in the movie 42. He plays Leo Durocher.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1021 on: October 14, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »
Boy, this week's 9-1-1 episode was a real downer, wasn't it?

I really don't care much about this runaway Maddie plot line.

Nor do I. There's something about it that just doesn't seem genuine. And Chimney's emotional scenes rang a bit too much for me. He's a 9-1-1 paramedic after all and trained not to be so emotional. I know it's his wife, but still.

Do you think the plot line was developed because Jennifer Love Hewitt is/was pregnant and it gave her time off?

I also didn't like the returning 9-1-1 supervisor character with everyone treating her like some celebrity. I wanted to punch her in the face almost immediately. And we thought Josh had become the new supervisor...he said he called her and asked her to come back. Why would he do that?

The best and most realistic scene in the episode, to me, was the scene with Athena and Michael's kids, May and Harry, sitting down with a snack and talking to each other about what's going on. May tells Harry he should tell their parents his feelings...I guess he does in the next episode because in the preview for next week we see Athena slaps him across the face when he does so. Oops.

I've always never really liked the first episode after the three part season opening episodes.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1022 on: October 14, 2021, 07:14:23 PM »
Boy, this week's 9-1-1 episode was a real downer, wasn't it?

Got that right!

Nor do I. There's something about it that just doesn't seem genuine. And Chimney's emotional scenes rang a bit too much for me. He's a 9-1-1 paramedic after all and trained not to be so emotional. I know it's his wife, but still.

Do you think the plot line was developed because Jennifer Love Hewitt is/was pregnant and it gave her time off?

Yeah, Chim's behavior was a bit over the top.

I don't know what's up with JLH. I thought she was pregnant as far back as "Athena Begins" because they were dressing in her such big baggy tops it looked to me like they were hiding a pregnancy.

I also didn't like the returning 9-1-1 supervisor character with everyone treating her like some celebrity. I wanted to punch her in the face almost immediately. And we thought Josh had become the new supervisor...he said he called her and asked her to come back. Why would he do that?

What the heck is up with that? Josh is the supervisor, and this woman comes back and starts bossing everybody around? Yeah, she deserved a good b _ _ _ _ h slap.

The best and most realistic scene in the episode, to me, was the scene with Athena and Michael's kids, May and Harry, sitting down with a snack and talking to each other about what's going on. May tells Harry he should tell their parents his feelings...I guess he does in the next episode because in the preview for next week we see Athena slaps him across the face when he does so. Oops.

I liked that scene with May and Harry, too. I like May.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1023 on: October 14, 2021, 07:20:12 PM »
^^^  Iím giving up on 9-1-1 until someone tells me thereís a good reason to watch WRT something super interesting (or hot) with Buck and Eddie.   I just donít have the mental capacity for another disappointing show.   8)  V

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1024 on: October 15, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
^^^  Iím giving up on 9-1-1 until someone tells me thereís a good reason to watch WRT something super interesting (or hot) with Buck and Eddie.   I just donít have the mental capacity for another disappointing show.   8)  V

It's a lot to sit through for a brief sight of Buck's biceps or Eddie in a sleeveless undershirt.

What else is disappointing you?

By the way, the Buddie fanfiction writers that I've been following at Archive of Our Own don't seem to be writing anymore. Others may be, but I haven't time to search for them, or to write myself, for that matter.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1025 on: October 15, 2021, 12:22:37 PM »
^^ I've started watching the 2 "FBI" shows and now they added a 3rd "FBI International".  The latter gets 3-5 episodes before I keep or dump it. 

WRT 9-1-1, maybe I'm just burned out on "firemen drama" stories.  I once watched "Chicago Fire" for a few seasons and it just fried my brain.  The only reason I even tried 9-1-1 was B/E.  Right now 9-1-1 is  at the bottom of my "keep" listing and something has to give on time and stress.   It's just not holding my attention anymore.  V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1026 on: October 15, 2021, 01:24:18 PM »
^^ I've started watching the 2 "FBI" shows and now they added a 3rd "FBI International".  The latter gets 3-5 episodes before I keep or dump it. 

WRT 9-1-1, maybe I'm just burned out on "firemen drama" stories.  I once watched "Chicago Fire" for a few seasons and it just fried my brain.  The only reason I even tried 9-1-1 was B/E.  Right now 9-1-1 is  at the bottom of my "keep" listing and something has to give on time and stress.   It's just not holding my attention anymore.  V.

I get it. Truth to tell, after this week's episode of 9-1-1, I was feeling a little jaded about the show myself. Like Lyle said, the episode was a downer. I guess I keep hanging on because of Buck and Eddie--and not because I expect there will ever be a Buddie, because I don't. Rather, I just find both actors very attractive, just in different ways. As best I can think right now, I can't think of anyone else on the shows I watch whom I find very attractive except for Wilmer Valderrama on NCIS. The only shows that I actually sit down and watch right now are 9-1-1 and Blue Bloods. Everything else I seem to be multitasking because evenings are too short.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1027 on: October 16, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »
^^^ Funny, you mention NCIS (original)... That's one of my regular "brain-dead / background" shows which I've been watching on/off for damn longer than I can remember - maybe since it started and before "Gibbs" went 100% grey.   They keep the stories simple and well you can see'm coming a mile away... so it's really more relax and enjoy vs "get-worked-up" over drams.  Harmon is/was  8)  ...handsome as actors go.  He's now 70... these last episodes feel like it's time to walk-away and enjoy the remainder of his life on his terms. 

I read somewhere:

a) once Harmon departs, it will likely be cancelled b/c he's the anchor.
b) Harmon agreed to stay on for a bit b/c of a) during the pandemic and to keep the actors, crews etc.. employed.
c) The last episode of them leaving him in Alaska pretty much signals where this is heading. 

V.   

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1028 on: October 16, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »
^^^ Funny, you mention NCIS (original)... That's one of my regular "brain-dead / background" shows which I've been watching on/off for damn longer than I can remember - maybe since it started and before "Gibbs" went 100% grey.   They keep the stories simple and well you can see'm coming a mile away... so it's really more relax and enjoy vs "get-worked-up" over drams.  Harmon is/was  8)  ...handsome as actors go.  He's now 70... these last episodes feel like it's time to walk-away and enjoy the remainder of his life on his terms. 

I read somewhere:

a) once Harmon departs, it will likely be cancelled b/c he's the anchor.
b) Harmon agreed to stay on for a bit b/c of a) during the pandemic and to keep the actors, crews etc.. employed.
c) The last episode of them leaving him in Alaska pretty much signals where this is heading. 

V.   

Funny you should refer to NCIS as a "background" show because that's pretty much what it is for me--it's on in the background while I'm multitasking.

I think I read somewhere it's now the longest-running scripted drama on TV. I've been thinking, too, that when Harmon decides to retire, it's time for the show to close up shop--and I've felt the same way about Gibbs staying in Alaska. He is the anchor.

But there is a thought that crossed my mind: Is Gary Cole being brought in to see if they can keep the show going without Harmon? Even if maybe just to finish out the season? I believe his character got fired from or quit the FBI at the end of the episode. I'm not sure it's a wise move, but I will not be surprised at all if he ends up at NCIS.

I think one way they've kept the show fresh was by having actors/characters come and go introducing new characters. They're pretty good at it, too. I figured nobody could replace Abby, but I like Casey. I miss Emily Wickersham (Ellie), but Katrina Law is fine, and she and Torres are kind of doing the Tony-Ziva thing. I felt it's been nice seeing Pam Dawber--now, there's a Hollywood marriage that has endured. I guess we were supposed to think she was going to be the replacement for Maria Bello (I was sorry to see her go), but isn't her character supposed to be a lesbian?

I admit it hit me that I think Harmon is starting to show his age. So is Rocky Carroll (Director Vance).

I guess you know the pilot for NCIS was an episode of JAG.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1029 on: October 17, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »
^^^ Yes to all of the above you posted.  My dad loved JAG and that's how he got started with NCIS (original).  You are dead on with them bringing on Gary Cole.  My better 1/2 had to remind me that Dawber and Harmon are married.  She will always be "Mendy"... to me. V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1030 on: October 17, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
^^^ Yes to all of the above you posted.  My dad loved JAG and that's how he got started with NCIS (original).  You are dead on with them bringing on Gary Cole.  My better 1/2 had to remind me that Dawber and Harmon are married.  She will always be "Mendy"... to me. V.

My dad loved JAG. too. He got me interested in it, and then I never missed an episode.

And David James Elliott was pretty easy on my eyes. ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1031 on: Yesterday at 08:25:11 PM »
So, did I call it, about Gary Cole on NCIS, or what?  :laugh:

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
^^^  8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
I just don't get why 9-1-1 isn't grabbing me this season--and what's up with the two-week break? (They've done this before, but what's going on, on Fox next week? Does Fox have the World Series? Will they be playing that next week?)

And I don't think it makes any kind of logical sense why that woman is allowed to act as May's boss. I mean, I know what the storyline is--but she's not May's boss. It's Josh--isn't it?

Spoiler Alert: And we can see where Maddie's gone--a convent or some place like that--that's what the church bells Buck heard on the phone indicate.

I like Probie (Ravi Panikkar [Anirudh Pisharody]). I think he's cute.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:51:40 PM by Jeff Wrangler »