The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 3  (Read 96912 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 3
« Reply #1485 on: September 21, 2022, 09:38:52 AM »
Nothing earth-shattering really... so mind-candy.  V.

That's about the size of it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1486 on: September 21, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
You guys covered everything it seems!!!

I will add...

--I liked the fact in the stadium that they upped the danger factor with the guy running down the stairs thinking the girl had a bomb. That was a nice little interesting twist.

--About the golfing father & son: Sure it would hurt, but would a ring really get propelled like a bullet into someone from a shredder. If so, it has to be a 1 in ________ chance.  By the way, if the father preferred the former boyfriend over the spouse, maybe the son's judgment IS in question as who would venture to reach down in a shredder for any reason? I knew when we first saw that shredder that it would be trouble, and I thought of movies with worse shredder scenes before what happened here!

Anyone have any opinion of the "new" call center?

a) [...] - nice aerial shots of the city... [...]

Because I live here I always enjoy the aerial shots they do of the city.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1487 on: September 21, 2022, 10:54:24 AM »

Tonight!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1488 on: September 21, 2022, 11:08:01 AM »

I will add...

--I liked the fact in the stadium that they upped the danger factor with the guy running down the stairs thinking the girl had a bomb. That was a nice little interesting twist.

--About the golfing father & son: Sure it would hurt, but would a ring really get propelled like a bullet into someone from a shredder. If so, it has to be a 1 in ________ chance.  By the way, if the father preferred the former boyfriend over the spouse, maybe the son's judgment IS in question as who would venture to reach down in a shredder for any reason? I knew when we first saw that shredder that it would be trouble, and I thought of movies with worse shredder scenes before what happened here!

Oh, yah. Where's Marge Gunderson?   ;D

I think that was an interesting twist, though. I mean, with a scene like that, don't you immediately expect the person's hand to get chewed off, or something? In this case, his hand was hurt, but it was nothing like his father getting shot in the chest with the son's wedding ring. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of the guy getting sucked into the jet engine.

Anyone have any opinion of the "new" call center?

I remember thinking it looked like the inside of a space ship, but I had no real reaction to it.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1489 on: September 21, 2022, 11:20:27 AM »

The physics of the ring vs shredder is beyond my engineering prowess today. Chekhov's gun was certainly in play with the shedder. My gut says it appeared to be a smaller unit which looked more residential or light commercial. The bigger heavy duty commercial shredders would have crushed that ring, I don't care if it was made of Titanium or Platinum!  As for it starting up like they showed, they were weak on that one too. Just showing an "On" switch being accidently flipped! - no way!  Anything operating on a commercial setting like a golf course would have OSHA warnings all over it and would have to meet certain standards to even be used there.  Most shredders have at least double-lock out safety start and engage mechanisms to prevent the shredder from the starting in an uncontrolled manner. 

Absolutely, crazy the son is/was to stick his hand down the shredder's throat for damn golf ball.  ???  Idiots are everywhere.

As for the now SiL vs. his son's former "boyfriend"...  "The heart wants what the heart wants and sometimes judgement be damned?" Seems that will be an interesting dinner topic down the road b/c the son didn't know his father was playing golf his former boyfriend/lover until his dad asked him to cancel their upcoming game.  Oh my.  V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1490 on: September 21, 2022, 01:05:07 PM »
Absolutely, crazy the son is/was to stick his hand down the shredder's throat for damn golf ball.  ???  Idiots are everywhere.

But it was his dad's lucky golf ball!  :laugh:

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1491 on: September 21, 2022, 01:35:11 PM »
Tonight!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!! LYLE!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait!!!
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1492 on: September 22, 2022, 01:06:08 AM »

Hi, Donna!!!

I watched Survivor before Amazing Race tonight and I was really bored. (!)

Loved Amazing Race! Will have to comment further tomorrow, it's too late at present!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1493 on: September 22, 2022, 05:14:35 AM »
Survivor was so boring. I totally agree.

I only like the one-legged woman, so far, but she is also boring!

I wish TAR was on first!

TAR was great!! I am so happy that there will be no non-eliminations. That's the best decision ever!

Remember how pissed off I would get when jerks came in last and it ended up being a non-elimination round?!!

Finally I get my wish!!!

I love the twins who just met for the first time after being adopted to two different families.... wow...

And I have to tell my son that Rex is on it! That's hilarious!

Some of those couples have got to go.... I don't like any of the m/f matched pairs at all!

OMG, Lyle! I use a 2-man bowsaw often in the forest. I can't believe how many people were doing it so wrong and never caught on that only 1 person has to pull at a time. That was so painful to watch!

Some people's ice seemed to break faster than others. Hmmm?

<3

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1494 on: September 22, 2022, 12:09:33 PM »
September 21: "Many Firsts But Don't Be Last"

Results: Leg 1 - Announced as The Amazing Race's 400th Leg

1st - Derek & Claire (Reality Romance)
2: Glenda & Lumumba (Newlyweds)
3: Quinton & Mattie (Former Rams Cheerleaders)
4: Linton & Sharik (Father/Daughter)
5: Emily & Molly (Long-Lost Twins)
6: Marcus & Michael (Military Brothers)
7: Tim & Rex (Golf Buddies)
8: Abby & Will (Childhood Sweethearts)
9: Rich & Dom (Motivational Speakers)
10: Luis & Michelle (Married)
11: Aubrey & David (Ballroom Dancers)
ELIMINATED
12: Aastha & Nina (Engaged)

Next Week: (90 minutes, starts at 9:30pm)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1495 on: September 22, 2022, 12:33:24 PM »
Survivor was so boring. I totally agree.

Glad you agree!

I wish TAR was on first!

CBS originally had scheduled Survivor to be on at 8pm and Amazing Race to be on at 9pm. Their new "The Real Love Boat" reality show was scheduled for 10pm.

No explanation was given as to why, but in the last 2-3 weeks CBS decided to air The Real Love Boat at 9pm and Amazing Race at 10pm. Perhaps CBS feels that fans of Survivor, Amazing Race or both would watch this new show, I don't know. However, the last and only time that Amazing Race aired in a 10pm slot, many fans, particularly families with children, hated that, saying they watch together and 10pm is/was too late. (Of course, that's 9pm Central.) Yes, shows can be DVR'd or streamed the next day, but reality shows can be problematic in finding out things one doesn't want to know if they've aired already. (Especially children who might actually search that info out.) In any case, it was one of AR's lowest rated recent seasons when they aired it at 10pm. I'd prefer it earlier, at least 9pm, but what can we do. Nowadays I'm just glad CBS keeps airing new seasons!

TAR was great!! I am so happy that there will be no non-eliminations. That's the best decision ever!

It certainly adds an exciting element to it; knowing there's no reprieve if you like a team that's at the bottom!

Remember how pissed off I would get when jerks came in last and it ended up being a non-elimination round?!!

No. Really?  ;)

Finally I get my wish!!!

Although it also works to one's disadvantage if there's a team you like that could get a reprieve! On a commercial for the show a few days ago I noticed the announcer said "12 teams racing around the world," and the last many seasons 11 teams have started the race, so I was wondering why 12 this time. (There has been 12 other times, too, for one reason or another.)

I love the twins who just met for the first time after being adopted to two different families.... wow...

That's pretty crazy. They were born in Korea, adopted by families in two different states and both Jewish families no less. SO they have something in common! Heh!

And I have to tell my son that Rex is on it! That's hilarious!

I had to think about that, heh!

Some of those couples have got to go.... I don't like any of the m/f matched pairs at all!

Not even the two where the wife is like over a foot taller than her husband!  :)
I kinda liked the ballroom dancers.

OMG, Lyle! I use a 2-man bowsaw often in the forest. I can't believe how many people were doing it so wrong and never caught on that only 1 person has to pull at a time. That was so painful to watch!

I agree. Anyone who knows how to use a regular saw should know that gliding it works better than yanking it either way. That was pretty interesting how people don't know some things.

Some people's ice seemed to break faster than others. Hmmm?

Yes, but...  They were given a small assortment of tools and such. Particularly a couple guys just took out the hammer and started forcefully hacking away at it. Did you see what Derek did? He placed that one implement on the center top and almost lightly hit it with the hammer and the block broke in half. I was wondering why more of them didn't use the other tools in the box. That's why they gave them to them, no?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1496 on: September 22, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »
I also liked that this is the first time the race started in another country. Munich, Germany. I liked the new SCRAMBLE leg where you could do the three tasks in any order you wanted to and then go to the pitstop. That was interesting. The one team that did the last task because they speculated the pitstop would be near the park -- I wonder if they were correct, did that get mentioned?

I do not think they should do that SCRAMBLE in more than one leg per season though. While it's interesting because you don't know where people stand in their race position, it does get really confusing if you want to know such things.

That raft thingy they were all on at the beginning when they introduced some of the teams looked great, especially when it went down the incline.

I like Derek, who was on Big Brother one season, so I hope he and Claire stay on the race a long time.

THis is the first time two season of AMazing Race have aired in one year since 2015!
(Of course, there wasn't one in 2021.)

And next week we get 90 minutes!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1497 on: September 23, 2022, 06:07:59 AM »
Despite previous plans, last night I skipped the three-hour premier of all three of the L&O's and had the Phillies game on instead.

Might have been a bad decision.  ::)

Anybody see the premier?

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1498 on: September 23, 2022, 08:51:14 AM »
I also liked that this is the first time the race started in another country. Munich, Germany. I liked the new SCRAMBLE leg where you could do the three tasks in any order you wanted to and then go to the pitstop. That was interesting. The one team that did the last task because they speculated the pitstop would be near the park -- I wonder if they were correct, did that get mentioned?

I do not think they should do that SCRAMBLE in more than one leg per season though. While it's interesting because you don't know where people stand in their race position, it does get really confusing if you want to know such things.

That raft thingy they were all on at the beginning when they introduced some of the teams looked great, especially when it went down the incline.

I like Derek, who was on Big Brother one season, so I hope he and Claire stay on the race a long time.

THis is the first time two season of AMazing Race have aired in one year since 2015!
(Of course, there wasn't one in 2021.)

And next week we get 90 minutes!

I loved the raft at the beginning!

Interesting point about the variety of tools!

No, I do not like any of the people right now, except the twins! The military guys are okay, I guess.

That couple of the very tall woman with the very short man is creepy looking  :laugh:

OMG, the woman with the multi-colored hair is going to get it caught in something terrible!

There is no way I can stay up that late! Fortunately, I have a P+ account and can watch the show the next morning or night. As with any and all visual media, I do not care one whit about being 'spoiled.'

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1499 on: September 23, 2022, 09:58:05 AM »
^^^

Interesting, I had the opposite reaction...I liked most of the teams. We all know opinions can change quickly though once they get going!