The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 44  (Read 35868 times)

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 44
« Reply #5970 on: October 18, 2020, 08:58:27 AM »

And this morning I was told to get a test, So back to the route I used before, but they told me I must answer YES to being an essential care worker and that I had more symptoms. I don’t like lying but I had to to bypass the narrow criteria.

So all very easy after that -  I don’t feel I’ve got it, but would have been uncomfortable being with people if I didn’t have the test. I shall isolate until I hear.

Good luck with your results, Sara.  I might have felt uncomfortable, too, lying to say I was an essential worker, but what do they expect when you are told two different things and the criteria are so strict?  It's good you were able to get the test.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5971 on: October 18, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
Hey y'all, a bright sunny and slightly cool day, it even got to freezing in places north and west of here, but just in the upper 40's around the DC area.

Good morning, Fritz.  Sunny day here too.  I was up early and thought of ordering some groceries for delivery (I don't need much, just a few odd items) but decided to get more sleep instead.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5972 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
Here's a Google album where Louise posted pictures of the individual plants in the Remembrance Garden that she took this morning. I think this can be accessed by all.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN7FwwSU7Y-cm1duguTb4epI4xPNMOTRHpohj0mQnBra6uasj_4mpdgO5HD-4C1rQ?key=dU9fSmhhVlNqVjd0RGs4NkZRYjdqWnNrMFlQSThn

She added:
"In the morning light. Earl's garden. Coneflowers, Black-eyed susan, agastache, little bluestem grasses, mountain mint, hibiscus, high bush blueberries, summersweet. A good beginning. Will fill in with self seeders & weeds. Earl would like that! In love & light!"
She also said that there is lots of space for growth of these plants, the reason for the area between the plants.

Such a nice garden, and good words.   :)
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5973 on: October 18, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
Hello Diners!

:)

Good to see you!

Good morning, Chuck!

I hope you have a nice day today.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5974 on: October 18, 2020, 09:12:42 AM »
Hey Debbie!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5975 on: October 18, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
Oh yeah! Shenandoah Valley apple butter.

I've had that, and yummy!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5976 on: October 18, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »
Fairly sweet, but you don't just eat it by itself.  At least, he mixed it with peanut butter, and it made the peanut better smooth and easily spreadable.  And somewhat sweet, I guess, but not too sugary.

I do. I use dark Karo syrup on pancakes and waffles and is quite yummy. Thicker and not as sweet as pancake syrup.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5977 on: October 18, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »

I've never had  apple butter, but I have seen it on store shelves.  I've never been fond of apples or their flavor.  I don't like apple chips, apple juice or cider, so I would assume I don't like apple butter.

When I do have jelly, I like blackberry jelly, or seedless raspberry.

Well I'll have to send you a small jar and you can taste a little bit of it. Do you eat apple pie at all?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5978 on: October 18, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »
It might be along the lines of honey, but again, not quite the same.  To me, honey seems lighter and sweeter.  But then, I don't know if I ever had Karo syrup when it wasn't mixed with peanut butter....which of course, made the mixture heavier.

Karo syrup has a distinct flavor, but not at all unpleasant, in fact I like it a lot. Like I said, it's not as sweet, but a good taste. Less sweet as pancake syrup and honey. Thicker than pancake syrup, but the same as honey. It also doesn't crystalize like honey does. It has a long shelf life.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5979 on: October 18, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »
Hi Linda! Apple butter sounds yummy. I’ve nearly got to the end of a bottle of maple syrup which I adore. Think I’ll have to restock, though it’s pretty expensive.

I LOVE it when honey crystallises - delicious on bread and butter of toast!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5980 on: October 18, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
Karo syrup has a distinct flavor, but not at all unpleasant, in fact I like it a lot. Like I said, it's not as sweet, but a good taste. Less sweet as pancake syrup and honey. Thicker than pancake syrup, but the same as honey. It also doesn't crystalize like honey does. It has a long shelf life.

Hey Linda!  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

I guess I just remember the clear Karo syrup, and remembered it as very sweet, but it's been such a long time since I've had any.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5981 on: October 18, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
I remember my first time having apple butter. I was on a vacation with my parents in 1958 after having dropped my sister off at music camp in Brevard NC and we went up through Virginia (my first time) on our way to New York City. Apple butter was served at breakfast in nearly every place we ate in VA and PA, and I grew to like it immediately! That probably surprised my Mother, since back then I was a rather picky eater. I think that she occasionally got some for me over the course of years, but it was a bit rare to get down in LA.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5982 on: October 18, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »
Even though Washington State is more famous for its apples, I think that apple butter is more localized to the Virginia apple orchards. At least the only brands I've seen are from VA.

When Ing, S and Sue were visiting back in 2010, I gave them some for breakfast, I think they liked it.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5983 on: October 18, 2020, 10:04:38 AM »
Debbie, I'll have to leave at about 5:05, since I told Nancy I'd pick up her glass recyclables on my way to church. We have to go to a recycling place for glass, since they don't pick it up anymore in our regular recycling. I'll bring them there after mass.

Fritz :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Just for my own curiosity, and I've seen you use this all the time, what is the difference between how you use 'bring' and 'take'? In the sentence about the glass recyclables, I use the word 'take'. Is it a regional thing. No disrespect meant, just curious.

I looked it up for my own information.
Both are about moving something. In “bring” the something of somebody is moved to where the speaker is currently situated. “Take” is used to indicate moving something or somebody to a place that the speaker is not currently at.

^^^^^  This was the most clear explanation to me for the difference.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5984 on: October 18, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »

Good morning, Linda.  I never bought Karo syrup for myself, as an adult, but as I said, my dad loved it, and he enjoyed mixing it up (with peanut butter) for me.  Brings back good memories.

He enjoyed making pancakes for "his girls," too.  Me and my sister; and occasionally my mother, although she wasn't a big pancake fan.
Jack's from Texas.