The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 44  (Read 95582 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: The Diner - Volume 44
« Reply #11730 on: November 21, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »
Yes, when you visited me and I visited you, there were not enough hours in the day to get all the visiting done, or all the things we wanted to say!! They were truly wonderful times!!!

Absolutely.

And there'll be wonderful, chatty sequels.

:)
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
  • We're not obsessed, we're just intensely focused!
« Reply #11731 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:05 PM »
Chuck, I agree that it's a lack of respect and caring for others that seems to be part of the problem. There are all kinds of accessories for masks now to make them fit better and be more comfortable, and masks that have filters to make them more effective in protecting both the wearer and others. There's tons of evidence that not wearing masks increases the number of cases and that the more exposed you are the more likely you are to get it. But people keep complaining about how uncomfortable they are and how they don't really work. They seem to see not wearing a mask as a sign of strength and courage, instead of reckless stupidity.

Over the past few years the overemphasis on individualism and toxic self-interest has increased exponentially in the USA. I blame Trump for a lot of that. I believe that he had CV, mostly because I think it would have come out if he had tried to engineer that big a hoax, and probably Don Jr. has it as well. It helps a lot to have the best medical care available as soon as there's a diagnosis. But did Trump learn from this? No, he just doubled down on his statements that CV is not that bad and that it will disappear any time now. >:(
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love – time is eternity.

A friend is what the heart needs all the time.

Henry van Dyke

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11732 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11733 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11734 on: November 21, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »

Ewwwww...

No more pics of disgusting food in the Diner, please!
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11735 on: November 21, 2020, 01:15:46 PM »
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11736 on: November 21, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
That definitely does look gross!!

It DOES.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11737 on: November 21, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »

*waves to dear Jennyleinchen*

WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11738 on: November 21, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »

Hi, busy Nancy!

:)
WISE UP

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #11739 on: November 21, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »
Never heard of reduced cream, Brian. :) Her in-laws were mad because she couldn't eat a cheese roll? That seems unreasonable.
It is rather a custom, which often annoys me, that when Aussies and Kiwis meet they run each other down. It is often referred to as being like family squabbles.
I have found the article but a lot may need translating to someone from the USA
https://www.odt.co.nz/opinion/opinion-southland-delicacy-does-not-translate-australian

"I learnt the hard way never ever criticise it, and never reject it when it is offered. It results in an inquisition more damaging to Transtasman relations than a certain underarm bowling incident.

‘‘Do you not like cheese?’’ ‘‘Can you not eat bread?’’ Trying to explain that I wasn’t keen to eat something because I didn’t like the look of it didn’t go down well.

When I dared ask how it was made, the mention of tins of evaporated milk, cream, mustard powder, butter, and onion soup powder made me think it looked like something Nigella wouldn’t be seen dead with. Luckily I did not voice this view. Some people call it Southland sushi. Ahh, that Kiwi humour.

Trying to explain that I didn’t like onion soup powder felt like clutching at straws (no, not the cheese variety). Trying to tell these thoroughly confused people I was trying to win over that I did in fact like cheese on toast but didn’t want one of their cheese rolls led to such a spirited and detailed discussion that we all went to bed early, exhausted."

"We agreed to disagree and it has since become a much-loved family tradition to try and tempt me. With Covid disrupting our annual visit across the ditch, it’s these memories that burn most bright.
Our differences put aside, the visit went along nicely, and I think I managed to charm the in-laws. Until I was asked whether I was interested in an Afghan."
By the way an Afghan biscuit is a traditional New Zealand biscuit made from flour, butter, cornflakes, sugar and cocoa powder, topped with chocolate icing and a half walnut.
When there are such arguments round me. I describe myself as 'Aussie by birth, Kiwi by choice'.

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11740 on: November 21, 2020, 01:20:50 PM »
Hello Ingterrobang. :) Your hike sounds wonderful, as does your dinner party. I hope that someday we can have one with you--we have no problem staying up late when we get to talking and laughing and all. :)
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love – time is eternity.

Henry van Dyke

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11741 on: November 21, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I take your word for it!

I already know that we will.

;)
WISE UP

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #11742 on: November 21, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »
too bad this wasn't raided, it's really outrageous.  You usually think of rednecks flaunting the idea of wearing a mask, but it's these idiots, too.

Secret plans helped Brooklyn synagogue pull off massive, maskless wedding
By Susan EdelmanNovember 21, 2020

A Hasidic synagogue in Brooklyn planned the wedding of a chief rabbi’s grandson with such secrecy it was able to host thousands of maskless celebrants without the city catching on.

Despite a surge in COVID-19 cases, guests crammed shoulder-to-shoulder inside the Yetev Lev temple in Williamsburg for the Nov. 8 nuptials — stomping, dancing and singing at the top of their lungs without a mask in sight, videos obtained by The Post show.

Organizers schemed to hide the wedding of Yoel Teitelbaum, grandson of Satmar Grand Rabbi Aaron Teitelman, from “the ravenous press and government officials,” says a detailed account in the Yiddish newspaper Der Blatt, the publication of the Satmar sect.

The Satmar synagogue, which has a maximum capacity of 7,000, jammed men onto bleachers filled to the rafters.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/21/secret-plans-helped-synagogue-pull-off-massive-maskless-wedding/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=718758
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11743 on: November 21, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the details, Brian. :) The Afghan sounds rather like a traditional Christmas cookie served over here. I didn't find the piece hard to understand; it made me chuckle. I would certainly be willing to try a cheese roll, but it doesn't sound like something I'd seek out.

Henry van Dyke

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #11744 on: November 21, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
I do feel guilty that I think I would have trouble wearing a mask. I find I cannot breathe when I use one in the garden while dealing with compost. I know most of us took one away with us last week but have never yet worn one, mine is still in its plastic packet, it normally sits in my glove box.
We had 2 weeks in September when they were compulsory on buses so I drove to the city. They are now compulsory on buses, trains and ferries in Auckland and on all flights in the country. I have been considering flying to Auckland for a week in February but will not do so if that is still the rule.
We have not had a case of Covid in Dunedin since April so masks are a bit of an overkill here. The only community cases in the South Island since April were 2 health workers at a managed isolation hotel in Christchurch a few months ago and that caused a stir but they did not spread it. Every now and again a case breaks out in  Auckland from managed isolation facilities. I am glad they decided that none of the hotels in Dunedin were suitable.