The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet - January to March 2021  (Read 4300 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
The Daily Sheet - January to March 2021
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »

Tuesday, January 12th, 2021

The Forum & SSL - Secure Socket Layer

Hello UBF members.  When the forum had a recent update, our server began using SSL - Secure Socket Layer.  SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers.

It is easy to tell if a site you are using is on SSL.  A site without SSL will have an address that starts with http://.  A site that uses SSL will start with https://.

Why are we telling you this?  Because if you are posting pictures here, and the address you use doesn't have the "s" in it, the image will not show.  Anytime you post an image, you should make sure that it starts with https://

Final Scene of A Teacher

The finale of FX on Hulu’s provocative limited series “A Teacher” begins 10 years after the penultimate episode, in which it became clear that both Eric (Nick Robinson) and Claire (Kate Mara) were broken in the aftermath of their illegal sexual relationship, when Eric was Claire’s student. During a conversation for Variety‘s inaugural FYC Fest, the show’s creator, Hannah Fidell, Mara and Robinson discussed the finale, and its riveting final scene.

When the episode begins, Eric is a wilderness counselor for troubled young people, and Claire has a new husband, two kids and a Tesla. Coincidence has brought both Claire and Eric back to Austin, Texas — Eric for his high-school reunion, Claire for her father’s birthday — and they run into one another in a supermarket. “Who is that man?” Claire’s daughter asks as Nick rushes away. Not being able to find the words, Claire stumbles: “He’s an old friend.”

Showing the same destructive tendencies that led her to prey upon Eric in the first place, Claire texts him that night, and asks him to lunch. Their meeting is the last scene in the series.

After some awkward smalltalk, Eric tells a shocked Claire, “Our relationship fucking destroyed me.”

Mara said Claire is still “in denial” about what she did, even though it had landed her in prison. After all these years, she is still convinced it was consensual. So when Eric tells her how their relationship affected his life, Mara said, “It’s devastating and eye opening.”

Final Scene of A Teacher

Trump and LGBT Protections

With less than two weeks left in office, the administration of US President Donald Trump has finalized yet another rule rolling back nondiscrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people seeking the services of health and welfare programs funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Previously, a federal regulation expressly prohibited health and welfare programs receiving federal funding from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. But the administration’s new rule, first proposed in 2019, erases this language. It also deletes a requirement that recipients recognize the marriages of same-sex couples, replacing it with a generic statement that the US Department of Health and Human Services will respect Supreme Court decisions.

The previous regulation was used to ensure adoption and foster care agencies who receive federal support serve all qualified parents, including same-sex couples. Rolling back existing nondiscrimination protections will harm those families, as well as the many kids awaiting placement in loving and supportive homes.

In 2019, Human Rights Watch argued that these changes threatened children’s rights as well as families’ freedom from discrimination and right to health. We’ve previously documented how these types of changes can function as a license to discriminate, shutting LGBT people out of health and welfare services that should be open to all.

Trump and LGBT Protections

"Liberal Lesbian" Turns In Family

An 18-year-old teenager from Massachusetts shamed her 'brainwashed' mother on social media for storming the Capitol riot on Wednesday, January 6, 2021. Reportedly, she claimed that her mother lied to her and told her she was going to visit an out-of-town doctor.

Helena Duke, a self proclaimed "liberal lesbian", took the Internet by storm on January 7, 2021, after posting a series of tweets and a video of a woman, she claimed was her mother, getting punched in the face during the violent pro-Donald Trump protests in Washington, DC. She wrote the caption: “Hi mom remember the time you told me I shouldn’t go to BLM protests bc they could get violent…this you?”

In the footage shared by Duke, a White woman can be seen trying to grab a Black female officer's phone, before getting punched right between her eyes. Duke followed up the tweet with another post comparing a picture of the bloody-faced woman in the video with a picture of her mom, saying “for those that don’t believe it’s my mother…”

The first tweet posted by Duke got shared more than 70,000 times. Duke said she only learned that her mom was participating in the violent uprising after seeing a footage online.

“She didn’t give me any more information about it, she was very vague… When I found out about the Capitol being stormed, I looked at her location sharing and it had been off for two days, so I assumed in that moment, I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, she might actually be there,'” Duke told The Post. “And then the next day, my cousin shared a video of her getting punched in the face… by police after harassing them.”

"Liberal Lesbian" Turns In Family

Maddie Hasson - "I'm Bisexual and Proud"

Maddie Hasson, the star of shows like The Finder, Twisted, and Impulse has come out as bisexual on social media.

Hasson was answering fan questions on Instagram when she posted an Instagram story announcing who she is. She was participating in the “show me a photo” challenge where fans ask to see a picture of the person with a specific thing.

In one request, she was asked to show something with a gay/bi video and took advantage of the opportunity. The 26 year-old posted a picture of herself looking directly in the camera and said “hi, I’m bi and proud.”

Hasson married composer Julian Brink in 2015.

Hasson got her first big acting break in the short lived 2012 spin-off of Bones, The Finder. For the past two years she’s starred in the YouTube series Impulse as Henrietta “Henry” Coles, a teen girl who realizes she has the power to teleport.

Maddie Hasson - "I'm Bisexual and Proud"

A First For RuPaul's Drag Race

"RuPaul's Drag Race" is known for pushing the bedazzled envelope. Where else can you find 13 seasons of scintillating outfits, eyebrow-raising gossip and unapologetic self-love from drag queens? (The current one airs Fridays, 8 EST/PST on VH1).

But when it comes to representation, fans have long hoped for the series to do better, and pushed back against narrow-mindedness from host RuPaul Charles about who can compete on the show. One question has lingered for several seasons: Why aren't there more transgender queens?

The new season features the show's first transgender male contestant, Gottmik, whose "Drag Race" debut in the Jan. 1 opener included her lip-sync win against Utica Queen.

"It was the best feeling of my life hearing RuPaul say my name," Gottmik, 24, also a makeup artist, tells USA TODAY. (She prefers female pronouns for an interview.)

Gottmik is the first transgender male contestant on "RuPaul's Drag Race."  Michelle Visage, a longtime judge on the series, says "the inclusion of Gottmik is wonderful for trans men out there who might think that they don't have a place on the show; they do."

Gottmik has emotions about being a trailblazer. "One day I'm so excited. One day, I'm more just honored and shocked and I feel like this heavy responsibility, which makes me spiral into an, 'Oh,I do have this responsibility, I need to say the perfect things and be this certain image of what I think a trans role model is,'" she says.

A First For RuPaul's Drag Race

What Is Cupiosexuality?

Let’s talk about sex, baby. Let’s talk cupiosexuality!

Beaming as its own bright light on the dazzling asexual spectrum, cupiosexuality, a term recently explored by Cosmopolitan, describes an asexual person who still craves sex, despite feeling little to no sexual attraction to others.

Whereas self-identifying asexuals (aces or a-specs) feel little to no sexual attraction nor a desire for sexual relationships with others, cupiosexuals still want to knock boots. Experiencing any sort of sexual attraction to their fellow boot-knocker, though? Not so much.

Breaking it down even further, the prefix “cupio” literally means “a desire” or “longing for” — a fun fact you can etch onto a sticky note in your brain to help remember the distinction between cupiosexuality and asexuality.

Contrary to popular misunderstanding, identifying as asexual — or any of its many unique subsets — does not necessarily limit a person to a life of celibacy or abstinence.

In fact, sexologist Tanya M. Bass, Ph.D. told Cosmo that cupiosexuals can be characterized as an asexual person that, “…simply does not feel sexual attraction, but may have sex for a host of reasons, including the physical pleasure of sex or the pleasure of their partner(s).”

What Is Cupiosexuality?

LGBTQ Advocates Want Trump Out

Despite the unrest that occurred on Wednesday afternoon after right-wing protesters overran the U.S. Capitol Building, congressional lawmakers ultimately certified the results of the 2020 election, setting the stage for President-elect Joe Biden to be sworn in on January 20. But the demonstration that sparked the riot, originally conceived as an opportunity for right-leaning Americans to protest on President Donald Trump’s behalf, came at a political cost to the commander-in-chief, resulting in calls for his removal from office.

Following several rallies designed to protest what Trump supporters believe were fraudulent votes cast during the 2020 election, thousands of demonstrators marched to the grounds of the U.S. Capitol and proceeded to push their way into the building. Throngs of people toppled largely unguarded barricades, clashed with Capitol Police officers, and entered the Capitol building. Once inside, they invaded members’ offices, posing for pictures, rifling through files, even absconding with trophies ranging from the speaker’s podium to stationery with Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s seal on it.

Capitol Police attempted to secure the building, and began evacuating high-level members while other lawmakers took refuge inside various offices throughout the Capitol complex. The disruption halted the debate over the certification of the election results in both chambers, delaying what should have been a routine procedural vote.

In the midst of the insurrection, a woman was shot in the throat by a police officer. A spokesperson for D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services said there had been “multiple injuries,” with the woman — later identified as Ashli Babbit, an Air Force veteran from San Diego — dying. By the end of the day three others — two men and a woman — had also died after suffering “separate medical emergencies” near the U.S. Capitol grounds. At least 52 people were arrested during the course of securing the building, according to The Hill.

LGBTQ Advocates Want Trump Out

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
Re: The Daily Sheet - January to March 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:15:04 PM »

Tuesday, January 19th, 2021

Hello UBF members.  When the forum had a recent update, our server began using SSL - Secure Socket Layer.  SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used by millions of websites in the protection of their online transactions with their customers.

It is easy to tell if a site you are using is on SSL.  A site without SSL will have an address that starts with http://.  A site that uses SSL will start with https://.

Why are we telling you this?  Because if you are posting pictures here, and the address you use doesn't have the "s" in it, the image will not show.  Anytime you post an image, you should make sure that it starts with https://

Remembering Heath

No one saw it coming. On January 22, 2008, Heath Ledger was found dead in his New York City apartment after an accidental overdose.

"There was a collective gasp of grief. His fans and loved ones were all completely shocked," a source recalls of the Aussie actor’s sudden passing at just 28 years old. "He was someone who, from the outside, appeared to have it all."

But things aren’t always what they seem. "Heath was a loving father and a very talented actor, but there was also a dark side to him that nobody really knew about," the source says of the handsome Oscar winner. "He suffered from terrible insomnia and reportedly relied on a cocktail of prescription medication to get through each day."

"His mind was always turning, like the sun rotating around the earth," the source continues. "Nothing ever seemed to quiet the racket."

Ledger was just 17 when he and a pal moved from his hometown of Perth, Australia, to Sydney to pursue a career in acting. And while he quickly found success, landing parts in local TV series like Sweat and Home and Away, it wasn’t until 1999's 10 Things I Hate About You that he became a bona fide movie star and heartthrob.

"Women loved him, but Heath was more than just a pretty face. He was all about taking chances and bravely went where few actors would go," the source says of the star, who followed up the classic teen flick with 2000's The Patriot opposite Mel Gibson and 2005's Brokeback Mountain, where he played a married cowboy who falls in love with another man.

Remembering Heath

Reacting to the Covid Vaccine Gay Rumor

A Rabbi claimed the COVID-19 vaccine makes you gay, now the internet wants to be vaccinated.

First, let’s set the record straight, there is zero evidence the Pfizer vaccine will make anybody gay. The much-anticipated vaccine will have many positive impacts on your social life. But altering who you’re attracted to is not one of them.

This didn’t stop Israeli Rabbi Daniel Asor taking to the internet last weekend to warn his listeners “any vaccine made using an embryonic substrate, and we have evidence of this, causes opposite tendencies.”

Asor’s assertions have no basis in fact.  The embryonic substrate is a protein used to program immune response in the body. It does not impact sexuality.

Newspaper Israel Hayom also reports that this isn’t the first time Asor has made outlandish claims about vaccines or COVID-19. His claims go directly against decrees from leading Rabbis around the world, who have all been encouraging the Jewish community to take all precautions against the virus.

The spread anti-vaccination propaganda, particularly propaganda that is homophobic is no laughing matter. However, if there’s one thing gay Twitter is good at, it’s making the best of a homophobic conspiracy.

Reacting to the Covid Vaccine Gay Rumor

Netflix Movies With Lesbian Characters

From Oscar-nominated period films to easy-to-watch rom-coms, Marie Claire has compiled a  list that is a must-watch for LBGTQ+ and allied viewers alike.

A good lesbian movie is hard to find, unfortunately. But as streaming services like Netflix become more and more popular, we’re seeing more films that feature lesbian, queer, and bisexual protagonists falling in love, breaking up, or just dancing and singing their way through a Midwestern high school prom. These films give audiences a chance to see characters, who have so often been left off-screen, just living their lives; these characters represent a slice of the population too often ignored by Hollywood.

According to GLAAD’s 2020 Studio Responsibility Index, more LGBTQ+ characters were prominently included in studio-backed feature films last year than any year previous. But lesbian and bisexual representation, specifically, decreased significantly. And the data also proved that the film industry has lengths to go in racial diversity and including queer characters with disabilities. So it’s more important than ever to stream lesbian-centric films, promote their numbers, and open up dialogues on the future of lesbian filmmaking—how it can be even better, more inclusive, and more thought-provoking.

To view the list of these 'must-see' lesbian movies currently streaming on Netflix, from Oscar-nominated period films to easy-to-watch rom-coms, click the link below.

Netflix Movies With Lesbian Characters

Barbie is Bisexual?

Among her many accomplishments, Barbie is now also gay.

Twitter has decided that Barbie is gay, specifically bisexual after a tweet went viral about Mattel giving her a girlfriend. The tweet contained a photo of Barbie and her girlfriend, wearing ‘love wins’ t-shirts.

As a bisexual, I bisexually rejoice when someone, even an iconic toy doll, is revealed to be bi. But, of course, I also wanted to investigate when exactly Barbie came out.

A bit of digging revealed that the photo was the result of a 2017 collaboration between Mattel and blogger/designer, Aimee Song. Song is the ‘girlfriend’ in the promotional image, but Barbie is supposedly in the photo as an ally.

However, the people of Twitter believe this was, in fact, Barbie’s official coming out. Fans were citing everything from Barbie’s haircut in the photo to portrayals of Barbie’s female frienships in the Barbie cinematic universe as evidence.

While many were quick to call Barbie a lesbian, bisexual Twitter was quick to remind people of Barbie’s other great love, Ken– making her bisexual.  After all, why can’t Barbie be a part of the LGBTQIA+ community? A woman so travelled and experienced, whose been around for just over 60 years– Is it so unbelievable that she would love a woman?

Barbie is Bisexual?

Transgender People and The Pandemic

Kyle Avery Jones had recently come out as transgender to her parents and friends when her final semester at the University of Connecticut began in January 2020. She wore androgynous clothes to school, sought out gender-neutral bathrooms, and limited her socializing to queer-friendly weekend gatherings off-campus.

“Everyone in my classes assumed I was a dude. I didn’t want to show up one day with a face full of makeup and a dress on. I was literally counting down to the end of the semester. I thought, ‘Once I finish college, I won’t have to do this anymore,’” said the 22-year-old Realtor from South Windsor.

Then COVID-19 struck, moving college online. Suddenly, Jones was staring herself in the face all day on a computer monitor, her anxiety rising with each class. “I was very distraught about having stubble on my face; it was an area of gender dysphoria for me. I would shave two or three times a day to make it extremely smooth. There was a lot of stress going on, and I just had to fight through it.”

She turned to feminizing hormone therapy to help light the way.

While COVID-19 has shuttered businesses and quarantined countless people in Connecticut and beyond, it has also motivated many transgender individuals such as Jones to begin gender-affirming hormone therapy, experts say. The reasons vary from the chance to transition away from gossiping co-workers, to realizing what’s important in life when the death count is daily news, to coming to terms with the self-image looking back during online work, school and socializing sessions.

Transgender People and The Pandemic

Limiting Surgeries on Intersex Infants

A new first-in-the nation bill would limit medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex children in California; that is, on babies born with anatomical differences in their genitalia.

Senate Bill 225 would require parents to wait until the child is six years old to have surgeries that would, for example, reduce a clitoris, move a working urinary opening or create a vagina.

Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, who wrote the bill, said these types of surgeries can cause chronic pain, scarring, or worse.

"These surgeries can have significant side effects, like permanent sterilization or loss of sexual sensation," Wiener contended. "And the wrong gender can be assigned."

Opponents of the bill claimed government should not play a role in these types of decisions by parents and doctors. Supporters countered a six-year delay gives parents time to get to know their child before taking this type of action.

Hans Lindahl, director of communications for InterAct, a group that advocates for intersex youth, said no one is expecting a six-year-old to make a decision, but rather to be old enough to have some input.

Limiting Surgeries on Intersex Infants

LGBTQ Ally Judy Colbs Has Died

Judith Gettlin Colbs died on January 5th, 2021 at the age of 89. Judy was born in 1931 and grew up in Philadelphia, PA.

She was devoted to her family, and was known for her sharp wit, crazy fun-loving spirit, and ability to take charge and get things done. Judy never knew a stranger, and within a few minutes of meeting her, people were telling her their life story.

Judy touched the lives of many people with her deep friendships and support of those in need. The driving passion of her life's work was to serve others, and to reach out to those who have been marginalized or treated differently because of aspects of their lives that are not well understood. This work for others began in her career as a teacher, first in elementary education, then in special education.

After retirement, Judy shifted the focus of her service to community volunteer efforts. Her initial impetus toward this work was when her daughter, Sandy, came out to her as a lesbian. Judy quickly made connections with other parents of gay and lesbian people, and in the process, also met many members of the LGBTQ community. Her contacts within the community lead to her involvement in supporting the needs of those struggling with HIV/AIDS and she became a tireless activist and advocate for the LGTBQ community in Atlanta.

She served as the President of PFLAG Atlanta (Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays) for almost 20 years and was honored twice as a grand marshal in the Atlanta Pride Parade, once in 2004 and again in 2016. Judy's work with PFLAG included counseling and supporting young gay and lesbian people and providing "mommy hugs" and surrogate parenting to those who were rejected by their families.

LGBTQ Ally Judy Colbs Has Died

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »

Tuesday, January 26th, 2021

Ang Lee & the Future of Film

Ang Lee won't reveal much about the new project he's developing, other than to say, "It has action in it." But he will divulge that he's still pursuing that elusive new mode of cinema his last two films — 2016's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and 2019's Gemini Man — have tried to achieve. Both films pushed the boundaries of filmmaking technology but were unsuccessful both with critics and at the box office.

"It's very difficult," says Lee, speaking to EW to mark the 20th anniversary of his film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. "Right now, the challenge [for me] is challenging how we process images in different ways, challenging the medium itself."

The Brokeback Mountain director moved into a new phase of his career with 2012's Life of Pi, using 3-D and extensive digital effects to transform an "unfilmable" book into a visually stunning, rapturously-received triumph that earned Lee his second Oscar for Best Director (after Brokeback). He pushed even further into the digital frontier with Billy Lynn and Gemini Man, the first feature films ever shot in the ultra-high frame rate of 120 frames per second. (Movies are typically shot at 24 frames per second, a tradition stretching back to the start of the sound era.)

Lee sees these innovative devices as the future of filmmaking, not just in a technical sense but as a potential way to revitalize the importance of movie theaters. Like many directors of his pedigree, Lee is deeply invested in preserving the theatrical experience, a concern which has gained added urgency as the COVID-19 pandemic has threatened movie theaters' very existence and escalated the dominance of streaming.

Ang Lee & the Future of Film

Gay Seniors Tell Their Stories

In the 1950s, when Ray Cunningham was just 19, he served in the Navy as secretary to the personnel officer aboard the USS Ranger. He was responsible for preparing discharge and reassignment paperwork, and sometimes he would have to dishonorably discharge men for being gay.

“It was difficult,” Cunningham, now 82, told NBC News. “At that time I realized that I was gay, and it was just difficult to know that people were being discharged for the same thing that I was in my life.”

“What bothered me the most was having to talk to the guys that were being discharged, and they were not in a good state of wellness anyway, because at that time, it was illegal or considered mental problems to be gay,” he said.

Cunningham spent the next four decades in the closet until he and his partner of 30 years, Richard Prescott, 78, came out after retiring in their 50s.

The two men, who are now married, shared their stories as part of “Not Another Second,” a new multimedia art exhibit in Brooklyn, New York, that features 12 LGBTQ elders, many of whom spent most of their lives in the proverbial closet. Through video interviews and interactive augmented-reality technology, visitors can experience their stories.

The other elders featured in the exhibit include the Rev. Goddess Magora Kennedy, who participated in the Stonewall uprising, and Paul Barby, who ran for Congress as an openly gay man in 1996 and 1998. Alongside each portrait is the number of years the elder was closeted.

Gay Seniors Tell Their Stories

She Made Bernie's Mittens

Jen Ellis is the woman who designed Sen. Bernie Sanders mittens that stole the show at the inauguration this week.

She’s a 42-year-old second grade teacher and craft hobbyist who lives outside of Burlington, Vermont — where Sanders was mayor in the 1980s. Ellis, who identifies as a lesbian, resides in the town with her partner, Liz, and their 5-year-old daughter.

Sanders received the mittens in 2016. At the time, Ellis’ daughter was attending a preschool directed by Sanders’ daughter-in-law, Liza Driscoll. Ellis made mittens for all the teachers and gave an extra pair to Driscoll to give to Sanders. They’re made from reclaimed wool from old sweaters and fleece lining made with recycled plastic.

“He must really like them if he chose to wear them,” Ellis told Jewish Insider.

Inauguration Day was cold, and Sanders dressed for the occasion.

Socially distanced from other guests at the inauguration of President Joe Biden and Vice-President Kamala Harris, Sanders wore a blue surgical mask, gray Burton winter coat, and the oversized brown mittens. Shortly after Sanders was photographed in his mittens, the image went viral and memes were abundant.

She Made Bernie's Mittens

Vesta Lugg is Bisexual

Spanish musician and actress Vesta Lugg, who boasts over one million followers on Instagram, has come out as bisexual on her stories.

Taking part in the popular ‘assume something about me’ trend, which is when someone’s Instagram followers share their assumptions about them and they confirm whether they’re true or false, Lugg was asked whether she identified as bisexual.

Answering the user, she wrote: “True” with a rainbow emoji accompanying it.

She also elaborated further in her answer, explaining: “I think sexuality is fluid. And perhaps more as a child, from the information I had, I assumed that as I was always with men, therefore I was straight.”

Vesta’s words address a common misconception with bisexuals, in that their sexuality morphs to fit the gender of the person that they’re dating, when in fact, it remains bisexual.

She further explained that she had the “privilege” to be “able to treat these issues freely” and that she was in an environment where she could “say that I want to love who I want to love and deconstruct what I thought I had to be because of what they told me it meant to be a woman.”

Vesta Lugg is Bisexual

Dr. Rachel Levine's Appointment

Pennsylvania Health Secretary Dr. Rachel Levine has been nominated by President-elect Joe Biden to be assistant secretary for health in the department of Health and Human Services. It’s a move that could make Levine the first openly transgender federal official.

Levine, a Tulane University and Harvard Medical School grad and a former pediatrician, has been a Commonwealth health leader since 2015. As the Physician General, she tackled the opioid crisis. Over the past year, as Health Secretary, she was at the helm of the state’s coronavirus response. Throughout the pandemic, she urged residents to, “stay calm, stay home, and stay safe.”

Tesla Taliaferro heads up the Rainbow Rose LGBT Center in York County. Taliaferro is a trans man and says his first thought hearing the news Levine may serve in the Biden administration was, “there’s no one more deserving.”

“She’s a compassionate leader and a caring individual and she really understands people,” Taliaferro says.

Corrine Goodwin is also transgender had a similar first reaction. She runs the Eastern PA Trans Equity Project. She says her second thought was, “It’s about time.”

“Trans people are just as capable as anyone else in this country,” Goodwin says.

Dr. Rachel Levine's Appointment

Mr. Grim is Pansexual

American pro wrestler Mr. Grim aka “The Hitman for Hire” opened up about his sexuality in a heartfelt social media post.

We’ve all set New Year aspirations to live by, but it looks like Chris Lewis has gone a step further in embracing his truth.

Lewis, who goes by the wrestling moniker “Mr Grim”, publicly came out in a moving personal tweet on New Year’s Day.

His brave tweet read: “For years, I’ve struggled with my identity. Too worried about how others would feel or think about me. I’ve finally gained the courage to openly express that I’m Pansexual.”

Lewis ended his tweet thanking American actress and fellow professional wrestler Nyla Rose for her being his “inspiration” who offered “endless support” throughout the process.

Rose, a long standing supporting of Lewis, light-heartedly replied to the tweet encouraging the wrestler to buy a flag.

In 2019, Rose had history herself in becoming the first open transgender wrestler to sign with a major American promotion.

Mr. Grim is Pansexual

LGBTQ Ally Larry King

Larry King, the man with his colorful trademark suspenders and the signature gravely voice, who interviewed kings, presidents, newsmakers, celebrities, and everyday folk died Saturday age 87 at Cedars-Sinai hospital his production company tweeted this morning. King’s 21-year-old son Chance Armstrong King also confirmed the legendary broadcaster’s death CNN reported.

In a career spanning nearly 60 years King was noted for his easy style of interviewing and his uncanny ability to get the who’s who of nearly ever field of human endeavor on his chat show, in a couple of cases making history as was the case in 1995 when King presided over what was later termed a critical Middle East peace summit between PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat, King Hussein of Jordan and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin.

According to the Associated Press, King conducted an estimated 50,000 on-air interviews in his signature nonconfrontational style. He welcomed everyone from the Dalai Lama to Elizabeth Taylor, from Mikhail Gorbachev to Barack Obama, Bill Gates to Lady Gaga.

After he relocated to Los Angeles from Washington D.C. where he had broadcast from since the middle 1980’s, his shows were frequently in the thick of breaking celebrity news, including Paris Hilton talking about her stint in jail in 2007 and Michael Jackson’s friends and family members talking about his death in 2009.

King was also a staunch LGBTQ ally. Larry King spoke at length about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights movement in a candid discussion with Dave Rubin of The Rubin Report in 2016 the Huffington Post had reported.

LGBTQ Ally Larry King

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 04:00:56 PM »

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021

Michelle Williams is "Showing Up"

In what is turning into quite a successful partnership, Michelle Williams and Kelly Reichardt look to have found their next project together.  A24 has come on to Reichardt’s next film Showing Up with Williams attaching herself to star. The news was confirmed via a new episode of The A24 Podcast, which drops today, that features a conversation between Kenneth Lonergan and Kelly Reichardt. The project is mentioned at the top of the podcast. This will mark the fourth film, the two have worked on together, having previously collaborated on Wendy & Lucy, Meek’s Cutoff, and Certain Women.

Showing Up is set to go into production summer 2021. The script is written by Reichardt and her long-time writing partner, Jon Raymond. Neil Kopp, Anish Savjani, and Vincent Savino will produce. Scott Rudin and Eli Bush will serve as executive producers.

Reichardt’s latest film is a vibrant and sharply funny portrait of an artist on the verge of a career-changing exhibition. As she navigates family, friends, and colleagues in the lead up to her show, the chaos of life becomes the inspiration for great art.

This will mark a reunion for all following Reichardt’s most recent film First Cow, which was named 2020’s Best Picture from the New York Film Critics Circle, and is on over 225 top ten lists, more than any other film this year.

Michelle Williams is "Showing Up"

Gay Couple Lashed

Authorities in Indonesia’s Aceh province publicly flogged two gay men 77 times each on Thursday after a vigilante mob raided their apartment in November, allegedly caught them having sex, and handed them over to the police. The whipping—recognized as torture under international law—was punishment under the province’s Sharia (Islamic law) regulations, which forbid same-sex conduct.

The floggings are part of a longstanding pattern of targeted abuse by Acehnese authorities against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people.

In 2012, then-Banda Aceh deputy mayor Illiza Saaduddin announced a “special team” to make the public more aware of the “threat of LGBT," posting an image of herself on Instagram holding a handgun and vowing to flush gays out of Aceh. In October 2015, special Sharia police arrested two women, ages 18 and 19, on suspicion of being lesbians for embracing in public, and detained them for three nights before sending them to religious “rehab.” An episode nearly identical to this week's flogging happened in 2017 – including vigilantism, police involvement, prosecution under grossly discriminatory Sharia regulations, and public flogging.

The abuse also is part of a five-year anti-LGBT campaign driven by many of Indonesia’s national and local leaders with harmful rhetoric and repeated failure to punish abusers.

Gay Couple Lashed

Gold Star Lesbian

In the season three episode of LGBTQ+ drama The L Word, “Lone Star”, the women sit around chatting about the term “gold star” and exactly who qualifies. The term, meaning a lesbian who has only had sex with women, is a status some lesbians take pride in, but it’s one that’s become controversial as our ideas of sexuality and gender have evolved.

Maria Kindstedt, therapist at LGBTQ therapy service Pink Therapy, defines it as “a lesbian who has only had sex with other women,” believing that, while you could frame it as a lesbian who has never had sex with men, “lesbian sexuality can be defined perfectly well without the involvement of men.” It’s understandable that many lesbians, particularly ones who have trauma relating to men, would find comfort in their status as a gold star.

If you search for the term “gold star lesbian”, the results are overwhelmingly negative. Headlines like, “5 Reasons the Phrase Gold Star Lesbian Needs to Die” and “6 Reasons We Shouldn’t Say Gold Star Lesbian” indicate that people have less-than-positive feelings about it. But why is it so controversial? The term relies on notions of “purity” in abstaining from (cisgender) men, which means that it can be wielded as biphobia or transphobia, often leans on cissexist notions of gender, and it fails to take into account that many lesbians can be victims of compulsory heterosexuality or assault.

Really, it’s less about what someone wants to call themselves, and more about whether or not they use it to exclude potential partners. Kindstedt wants to reinforce that if someone wants to define themselves as a gold star, that’s OK, providing they don’t hold others to the same standard. “We need to be mindful that women’s sexuality has a history of being defined and controlled by men in a patriarchal society and be very careful to question women’s sexual self expression and negatively interpret the labels they choose for themselves,” she says, adding that stigmatising the term could stigmatise lesbian sexuality further. “If a ‘gold star’ would like to open up to date women with more diverse experiences than herself, exploration should always be supported.”

Gold Star Lesbian

Vesta Lugg is Bisexual

Spanish musician and actress Vesta Lugg, who boasts over one million followers on Instagram, has come out as bisexual on her stories.

Taking part in the popular ‘assume something about me’ trend, which is when someone’s Instagram followers share their assumptions about them and they confirm whether they’re true or false, Lugg was asked whether she identified as bisexual.

Answering the user, she wrote: “True” with a rainbow emoji accompanying it.

She also elaborated further in her answer, explaining: “I think sexuality is fluid. And perhaps more as a child, from the information I had, I assumed that as I was always with men, therefore I was straight.”

Vesta’s words address a common misconception with bisexuals, in that their sexuality morphs to fit the gender of the person that they’re dating, when in fact, it remains bisexual.

She further explained that she had the “privilege” to be “able to treat these issues freely” and that she was in an environment where she could “say that I want to love who I want to love and deconstruct what I thought I had to be because of what they told me it meant to be a woman.”

Vesta Lugg is Bisexual

Reversal of Transgender Ban

President Joe Biden this week reversed the federal transgender military ban implemented under former President Donald Trump’s administration. It’s another sea change in the lives of transgender Michiganders who’ve spent lifetimes reading shifting terrain. Blaire McIntyre is a Michigan Army National Guard specialist who fought against the ban in federal court.

“I felt like for the first time in a long time that I was actually seen, and I was actually noticed. And not just me, but my entire community, the entire LGBTQ community,” McIntyre said. McIntyre is a trans woman and previously served in active-duty combat in Afghanistan.

Despite her years of service, McIntyre says she was threatened with a discharge under the 2019 ban. That was the same year she came out as trans to her family and coworkers. While the military has a reputation for being a hypermasculine space, McIntyre says most of her coworkers supported her transition.

GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) and the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) filed a challenge to the ban on behalf of McIntyre. That court case is being dropped with news of the reversal. McIntyre says there’s been a weight lifted off her and other transgender service members’ shoulders.

“Anytime you ban a group of people or you keep a group of people out in the sense it feels like it dehumanizes you. And like I said, from all my friends that are transgender in service, it seems like it's pretty across the board. We're all feeling that there's a light on us again,that we're noticed,” McIntyre said.

Reversal of Transgender Ban

Mr. Grim is Pansexual

American pro wrestler Mr. Grim aka “The Hitman for Hire” opened up about his sexuality in a heartfelt social media post.

We’ve all set New Year aspirations to live by, but it looks like Chris Lewis has gone a step further in embracing his truth.

Lewis, who goes by the wrestling moniker “Mr Grim”, publicly came out in a moving personal tweet on New Year’s Day.

His brave tweet read: “For years, I’ve struggled with my identity. Too worried about how others would feel or think about me. I’ve finally gained the courage to openly express that I’m Pansexual.”

Lewis ended his tweet thanking American actress and fellow professional wrestler Nyla Rose for her being his “inspiration” who offered “endless support” throughout the process.

Rose, a long standing supporting of Lewis, light-heartedly replied to the tweet encouraging the wrestler to buy a flag.

In 2019, Rose had history herself in becoming the first open transgender wrestler to sign with a major American promotion.

Mr. Grim is Pansexual

Cloris Leachman, LGBTQ+ Ally

Cloris Leachman, the multi-award-winning actress who died Wednesday at age 94, was both an icon and ally to LGBTQ+ people.

She was beloved for her performances in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and other sitcoms, her dramatic turns in films such as The Last Picture Show (for which she won an Oscar), and her hilarious and campy portrayals in Mel Brooks movies. She also appeared multiple times at the GLAAD Media Awards, honoring fair, accurate, and inclusive depictions of LGBTQ+ people in film and television.

A native of Des Moines, Iowa, Leachman was a runner-up in the 1946 Miss America pageant, where she won a scholarship, and she studied acting at various schools, including the Actors Studio in New York City. In the late 1940s, she began a long and varied career that included supporting roles in film, bigger ones on TV, and even a costarring role with Katharine Hepburn in Shakespeare’s As You Like It on Broadway in 1950. She also understudied the lead role of Ensign Nellie Forbush in Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Broadway musical South Pacific and played it briefly in 1952.

But it was in the 1970s that she really began to make her mark. She played Ruth Popper, the unhappy wife of a small-town high school football coach, in Peter Bogdanovich’s 1971 film The Last Picture Show, based on a Larry McMurtry novel (who co-wrote Brokeback Mountain). Ruth ends up having an affair with a teenager, Sonny; the movie implies that her husband is gay, something conveyed more clearly in McMurtry’s book. Leachman won the Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

Leachman was a longtime activist for animal rights, but she was interested in other causes as well, such as LGBTQ+ equality. Her appearances at the GLAAD Awards included a flirtatious turn with MTM costar Betty White in 2013.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 01:28:51 PM »

Tuesday, February 9th, 2021

Knight of Legion of Honor

Renowned Taiwanese-American director Ang Lee on Wednesday was honored by the French government, which conferred on him the Knight of the Legion of Honor, the highest French order of merit, in recognition of his outstanding achievements and contributions to cinema and culture.

The honor was bestowed upon Lee by Jean-Francois Casabonne-Masonnave, who is director of the French Office in Taipei, which is the de facto embassy of France in Taiwan in the absence of formal diplomatic relations between the two countries.

In a news release, the office praised the filmmaker for having the ability to take on various film genres while always being able to evoke "humanism and elegance" in all of his works.

Born in Taiwan's Pingtung County, Lee's early successes included "Pushing Hands",  which earned him the Best Film award at the Asia-Pacific Film Festival in 1992, the French Office said in its statement.

It noted that Lee's next movie, "The Wedding Banquet," was one of the first Chinese-language films on homosexuality.

Lee is also known by the French audience for his other notable films -- "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Brokeback Mountain" and "Life of Pi", the statement said.

Knight of Legion of Honor

A Signal To The World

Just over two decades ago, President Bill Clinton had to use a recess appointment to install the first openly gay U.S. ambassador over Republican senators' opposition. Now, on Tuesday, the State Department's new openly gay spokesperson will hold his first daily press briefing.

That the voice of the Biden administration on the world stage, whose words will be analyzed in foreign capitals and provide direction for U.S. diplomats overseas, will be a gay man is unremarkable, which is itself a remarkable thing.   It also sends a potent message to foreign LGBTQ activists, especially those fighting in countries where same-sex relationships are still criminalized.

"It's incredibly important for queer people in countries where homosexuality and queerness is a death sentence," said Innanoshe Richard Akuson, a Nigerian LGBT rights activist and writer.

Ned Price is a longtime national security hand who spent over a decade at the CIA, including three years serving as the National Security Council spokesperson under President Barack Obama. He left the agency in February 2017, resigning with a Washington Post op-ed that expressed alarm at President Donald Trump and his approach to U.S. intelligence. Throughout Trump's term, he was a frequent critic, appearing on cable news and leading policy and communications for National Security Action, a progressive advocacy group of former Obama administration officials.

A Signal To The World

Review - "Two of Us"

From the title alone, Two of Us  — or Deux, as it's called in its native France — seems to swell with romance. And it very much is one, though it would be a lot simpler for Madeleine (Martine Chevallier) and Nina (Barbara Sukowa) if à deux was all they had. Together for decades, the pair are finally ready to move to Rome and live out their golden years together — except Madeleine is also a widow with two grown children, terrified to tell them her truth. So to everyone they know they're merely friendly neighbors instead; two elderly women who share a common hallway.

When fate steps in and abruptly alters their plans, director Filippo Meneghetti's tender domestic drama (out today and just nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Golden Globes) becomes a moving referendum on choice and chance and the extraordinary lengths people go to protect their most private selves — even if the movie never quite explains why, in approximately 2021, it would be so terrible not to.

The small cosmopolitan city the duo lives in hardly seems like the kind to burn lesbians on a pyre: a place of leafy parks and cafes where Madeleine has raised her family — daughter Anne (Léa Drucker) a harried hairdresser and single mom, and son Frédéric (Jérôme Varanfrain), who still holds on to some vague but surly idea that she was unfaithful to their late father.

All she needs to do is break the news to them at a birthday dinner, but her failure to work up the courage becomes a full-fledged betrayal when Nina finds out — and an actual disaster when serious illness strikes.  Suddenly Madeleine is out of reach to the person she's spent nearly every day and night with for decades, simply because their love can't (or won't) speak its name.

Review - "Two of Us"

"My Police"

You may have heard that Harry Styles is playing queer in an upcoming movie, now we know more.

Initially announced last year with Styles' name floated as only a possibility, the project is titled My Policeman. Now confirmed, Styles will play play Tom, a policeman in the 1950's who falls in love with a man, but marries a woman, Marion. Marion will be played by Emma Corrin, the British actress who just scored SAG and Golden Globe nominations for playing Princess Diana in The Crown.

According to Deadline, the movie will start in the late 90’s, “when the arrival of elderly invalid Patrick into Marion and Tom’s home triggers the exploration of seismic events from 40 years previous: the passionate relationship between Tom and Patrick at a time when homosexuality was illegal.”

The film is being directed by Tony and Olivier Award winner Michael Grandage, and featuring a script from Oscar and Emmy nominee Ron Nyswaner, adapted from the celebrated novel of the same name by Bethan Roberts. The film is being produced by Greg Berlanti, Robbie Rogers and Sarah Schecter of Berlanti-Schechter Films. It will premiere on Amazon Prime.

Styles has famous declined to label his sexuality.  Many fans have taken his stylistic sensibilities, as well as other hints that the performer is queer. Case in point: they look to his ardent support of the community, a few lyrics that might be read into, as well as visuals like his "Lights Up" video in which he appears in a mass of nearly-naked bodies being nuzzled by both genders. That said, he has only been publicly linked to women.

"My Police"

Transgender Homelessness in The South

Angelica Butler was tired of having to out herself as a transgender woman every time she applied for a job or tried to rent an apartment. Prospective landlords and employers rejected applications when her identity documents didn't match her gender, ultimately throwing her in-and-out of homelessness for seven years.

"I was at a place in my life where for me to have a home of my own is a big deal because I didn't want to be out on the streets," Butler said.

Now, Butler, 35, hopes to become the owner of a 400-square-feet tiny home with its own bedroom and kitchen in Memphis, Tennessee, as part of a landmark project started by grassroots organization My Sistah's House to help solve transgender homelessness. The effort broke ground in January and hopes to build 20 tiny homes in total, five of which will be completed this year.

Across the nation, homeownership rates are dismal among transgender Americans— and even worse for Black transgender Americans. To overcome centuries of discriminatory housing policies, including denying gender diverse people access to government-funded shelters, grassroots activists in the South, home to one in three LGBTQ people, are working to build housing for their community.

In New Orleans, a group of transgender activists are working to open a shelter for homeless transgender and gender nonbinary people known as House of Tulip. A similar project took root in Charlotte, North Carolina. A Dallas couple moved to Arkansas to build 32 tiny houses for LGBT people.

Transgender Homelessness in The South

Kyle Kennery's Journey of Acceptance

Kyle Kennery's Journey of Acceptance

Cloris Leachman, the multi-award-winning actress who died Wednesday at age 94, was both an icon and ally to LGBTQ+ people.

She was beloved for her performances in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and other sitcoms, her dramatic turns in films such as The Last Picture Show (for which she won an Oscar), and her hilarious and campy portrayals in Mel Brooks movies. She also appeared multiple times at the GLAAD Media Awards, honoring fair, accurate, and inclusive depictions of LGBTQ+ people in film and television.

A native of Des Moines, Iowa, Leachman was a runner-up in the 1946 Miss America pageant, where she won a scholarship, and she studied acting at various schools, including the Actors Studio in New York City. In the late 1940s, she began a long and varied career that included supporting roles in film, bigger ones on TV, and even a costarring role with Katharine Hepburn in Shakespeare’s As You Like It on Broadway in 1950. She also understudied the lead role of Ensign Nellie Forbush in Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Broadway musical South Pacific and played it briefly in 1952.

But it was in the 1970s that she really began to make her mark. She played Ruth Popper, the unhappy wife of a small-town high school football coach, in Peter Bogdanovich’s 1971 film The Last Picture Show, based on a Larry McMurtry novel (who co-wrote Brokeback Mountain). Ruth ends up having an affair with a teenager, Sonny; the movie implies that her husband is gay, something conveyed more clearly in McMurtry’s book. Leachman won the Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

Leachman was a longtime activist for animal rights, but she was interested in other causes as well, such as LGBTQ+ equality. Her appearances at the GLAAD Awards included a flirtatious turn with MTM costar Betty White in 2013.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:07:53 AM »

Tuesday, February 16th, 2021

"Brokeback Mountain" and "Life of Pi"

Life of Pi and Brokeback Mountain are two of Ang Lee's best movies. And while they are completely different, they are often compared.

Brokeback Mountain and Life of Pi are two grand creations of the wildly acclaimed director Ang Lee. Both have been praised immensely by critics and audiences alike, while also being celebrated by major award shows, both being nominated and winning various accolades.

Of course, this has led fans to compare the two movies to decide which is better of the two. Indeed, this usually comes down to personal taste, but there is still a chance of objectivity when looking at the two movies separately.

So click the link below to see 5 ways Brokeback Mountain is better than Life Of Pi (& 5 ways Life Of Pi is better)

"Brokeback Mountain" and "Life of Pi"

From Movement, to Party

When coronavirus restrictions threatened the White Party, an annual circuit party held in Palm Springs, California, the organizer, Jeffrey Sanger, decided to move the festivities to Jalisco, Mexico.

Gay partygoers from around the world descended on the small coastal state for the New Year’s Eve bash. Stars from Ru Paul’s Drag Race made appearances, and even some doctors and nurses, fresh off their first COVID-19 vaccine doses, got in on the action.

The social media backlash was swift. Mexico, at that time, had one of the highest mortality rates – measured as deaths to cases – in the world. Others pointed out that the influx of tourists could strain existing hospital resources. Above all, the partygoers seemed to embody the arrogance, privilege and excess of people who prioritized a good time over a global health emergency.

While other gay events have also been occurring during the pandemic, this one particular party seemed to strike a nerve within the gay community.

For five years, my colleagues and I have been attending these circuit parties to interview attendees. We’ve sought to better understand the positive ways these parties influence gay culture, along with some of the problems they can present.

To me, Sanker’s decadent bash – held in the throes of the coronavirus pandemic – epitomized a growing divide in gay culture.

From Movement, to Party

"Love Tenderly" - Stories Told By Lesbian Nuns

I must know at least 1,000 nuns. (Though they are actually called “women religious” or “sisters.”) They taught me. I studied with them. We lived in the seminary with them. I’ve said Mass for several women congregations. We ministered together. I attended retreats given by them. They have been spiritual directors. I’ve written about them.

Yet, not once have I said to myself, “This nun is a lesbian.” And I think it’s because of my respect and reverence for them.

After reading two ground-breaking books about lesbian nuns, though, I think it’s the opposite. I had internalized the historic shame for same-sex feelings. Or, it simply does not matter.

The recently released “Love Tenderly” tells the story of 23 sisters coming to grips with their sexual orientation in the context of religious life. The contemporary work reflects a different milieu than the first ground-breaking, sensational “Lesbian Nuns: Breaking Silence,” published in 1985, which told 47 nuns’ stories. Jarring, it became an international hit because the words “lesbian” and “nun” had never been uttered in the same sentence in such a public way before. It also gave the curious a peek behind the convent walls that was not always flattering.

“Love Tenderly” oozes with tolerance and sensitivity, not only by the sisters telling their sometimes painful coming-out stories, but also of more accepting religious leadership in their communities.

"Love Tenderly" - Stories Told By Lesbian Nuns

On Bisexuality

During a play in middle school, Kaitlyn Venturina developed a crush on another cast-mate. It was her first identifiable crush on another girl and she asked herself, “What does this mean for me?”

After doing some research and personal exploration into bisexuality, she decided to let people know about her newfound identity with an Instagram post. But before coming out, she had a few concerns.  “If I do come out … ’Am I going to be loved or not?’ ‘Am I going to be enough or not?’” said Venturina, a sophomore film major.

Something Venturina did not initially question was whether or not people would believe her.

Bi-erasure, according to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, is “a pervasive problem in which the existence or legitimacy of bisexuality (either in general or in regard to an individual) is questioned or denied outright.”

There is a plethora of stereotypes surrounding bisexuality—from being hypersexual to not wanting to “pick a side.”

Jenn Lee, a graduate student in the English and Creative Writing Department’s nonfiction program, grew up in a very “openly queer” household, so coming out did not feel like “coming out” to her.

On Bisexuality

John Fillmore's Insulting Comment

An Arizona state representative is facing an ethics complaint after he compared transgender people to farm animals at a Wednesday committee hearing.

The hearing was for House Bill 2725, which would require state identification documents to contain only a male or female gender marker. The bill pre-emptively bans nonbinary people, who are neither exclusively male nor female, from using gender-neutral X markers on their IDs, even though Arizona law doesn’t currently permit that.

State Rep. John Fillmore, the bill’s sponsor, said during the hearing that he “proposed this bill just to give clarity in government documents and was hoping to avoid the whole gender identity issue on the gender dysphoria,” according to a video of the hearing.

"What’s going to happen when someday someone wakes up and they want to go to a far extreme and identify as a chicken or something, for crying out loud,” he added. “Where do we draw the line?”

Megan Mogan, who is the mom of a 15-year-old nonbinary child and testified against the bill Wednesday, said Fillmore’s comment was dehumanizing.

“I don't think you have to be the parent of a nonbinary person, you can just be the parent of anyone, and if someone dehumanizes your child, it's like one of the worst possible feelings you can have,” Mogan told NBC News on Friday.

She tweeted after the hearing, “Still shaking after an elected GOP state rep just compared my non-binary child to a barnyard animal.”

John Fillmore's Insulting Comment

Google Corrects Nonbinary Bias

Google’s advertising system allowed employers or landlords to discriminate against nonbinary and some transgender people, The Markup found.

Companies trying to run ads on YouTube or elsewhere on the web could direct Google not to show those ads to people of “unknown gender” — meaning people who have not identified themselves to Google as “male” or “female.” After being alerted to this by The Markup, Google pledged to crack down on the practice.

“We will be implementing an update to our policy and enforcement in the coming weeks to restrict advertisers from targeting or excluding users on the basis of the ‘gender unknown’ category,” Elijah Lawal, a spokesperson for Google said.

Google’s policies forbid ads targeting or excluding male or female people from jobs, housing, or financial products, in order to comply with federal anti-discrimination laws. But until The Markup alerted Google, the company gave advertisers the option of keeping their ads from being shown to people of “unknown gender” — effectively allowing employers and landlords to either inadvertently or purposefully discriminate against people who identify as nonbinary, transgender, or anything other than male or female.

The Markup found two such job ads on YouTube, which is owned by Google — one for jobs at FedEx and the other for Dewey Pest Control, a California-based chain. In both cases, Google’s ad targeting explanations, collected by New York University’s Ad Observer, indicated that the employer had targeted the ad based on gender but that the data did not specify which gender was targeted. In those cases, Lawal said, the advertiser had chosen to exclude people of unknown gender from seeing the ads. Upon further review, Lawal said, the company “identified approximately 100 advertisers out of many thousands” who had done the same for housing, credit, or job ads.

Google Corrects Nonbinary Bias

Ian Riccaboni Supports LGBT Community Center

A key product of LGBTQ pro wrestling’s expanding profile is a heightened focus on reaching out to and supporting LGBTQ communities outside of the industry. That process goes beyond the welcoming atmosphere cultivated by LGBTQ-focused events or the increased presentation of marginalized identities.

Those leading the charge are using their platform to invoke LGBTQ history and impact marginalized populations beyond those already interested in checking out the in-ring action. Like any movement, though, a coalition between community members and allies only helps to strengthen the house being built. Especially when an ally has the ability to reach audiences that don’t regularly interact with LGBTQ identities.

For Ring of Honor announcer Ian Riccaboni, being part of that coalition as an ally is requisite to his role as the voice of a major pro wrestling organization. He literally lent his voice to the cause in January when he committed all profits from his Cameo account between Jan. 13 (Riccaboni’s birthday) and April 1 (his wife’s birthday) to the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center in his hometown of Allentown, PA.

Located in the heart of Allentown, the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center serves LGBTQ populations throughout the Lehigh Valley through community advocacy campaigns and various arts, health, youth and pride programs.

According to Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center executive director Adrian Shanker, the Covid-19 pandemic pushed the center’s main focus to LGBTQ health advocacy. “We’ve engaged more strongly in health advocacy to ensure that the public health leaders in Pennsylvania that are making decisions throughout the pandemic are including LGBT people,” Shanker told Outsports.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 06:33:55 PM »

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2021

15 Year Flashback to The 2006 Oscars

There have been a few instances in Oscar’s illustrious history that have left film fans scratching their heads. One such occurrence happened on March 5, 2006, at the end of the 78th ceremony when the Best Picture was announced. It remains one of the most controversial wins in the history of the awards show. It was also a year in which there was no big winner – in fact, FOUR films tied with the most wins – at just three apiece! Also unusual for the Oscars, the awards for picture, director and all four acting awards went to different productions, and there were a few anomalies in the acting categories as well. The event, which was held a week later than normal due to the Winter Olympics, was hosted by Jon Stewart for the first time (he’d host again in 2008). His opening sketch featured former Oscar hosts Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Chris Rock, Whoopi Goldberg and David Letterman hilariously turning down the gig.

This was one of the few ceremonies during the “five-movie- limit” years in which all the Best Picture and Best Director nominees aligned. Ang Lee was unsurprisingly named Best Director for “Brokeback Mountain,” becoming the first non-Caucasian winner in that category, and making it seem that “Brokeback” was a shoo-in for Best Picture. However, “Crash” swooped in with Jack Nicholson announcing the stunning news, becoming the first Best Picture winner since “Rocky” 29 years before to win only three awards in total; in fact, “Crash” and “Brokeback” each won three, including wins for their screenplays. “Crash” won Best Original Screenplay and Best Film Editing, while “Brokeback” won for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score

15 Year Flashback to The 2006 Oscars

Seeking Asylum During The Trump Administration

Liam first realized he liked men while watching the music video for Ricky Martin's "Livin' La Vida Loca" as a young child.

"I knew there was something wrong because everyone was talking about the girls, but I didn't find them attractive. I was just looking at Ricky Martin," he says.

Liam is not his real name. We're using it because exposing his sexuality could put his family in danger back home. Azerbaijan, where he grew up, is a small, predominantly Muslim country. It's a conservative, authoritarian state where honor killings still occur. Although homosexuality was legalized in 2000, LGBTQ advocacy group ILGA Europe has repeatedly rated it the worst country for gay people in Europe. In 2017 and 2019 Azerbaijani police carried out a series of anti-LGBTQ+ raids in the capital Baku.

Tamara Grigoryeva is a U.S.-based Azerbaijani journalist and former human rights activist who documented the raids.

"At any time, you can be exposed. At any time, someone you think is a friend can betray you, call the police or out you to the public," she says.

Liam suffered a lot as a child and adolescent. His father found personal messages exposing Liam's sexuality and threatened to kill him. By the time he graduated from high school, Liam felt he wouldn't survive if he stayed in Azerbaijan.

Seeking Asylum During The Trump Administration

Punished For Saying "I'm A Lesbian"

Local school district USD 251 banned a 13-year-old girl from riding the bus after saying she’s gay in front of other students.

Izzy Dieker is an eighth grader at Americus School in the North Lyon County District.

Every day Dieker rides the bus to school for 30 minutes from her small town. One day, in particular, has put her at the center of controversy and a cry for change from some teachers who decided to remain unnamed, all for saying ‘I’m a lesbian’.

The bus driver heard her say this and wrote her up for inappropriate language.

“Once I got home my dad told me he got a call from the school that I was kicked off for saying ‘I’m a lesbian’,” said Dieker.

Her parents were told that she also did not listen to the bus driver’s orders. “I am openly a lesbian and my whole class knows it,” said Dieker.

The district superintendent said he can’t discuss the details of the case.

Punished For Saying "I'm A Lesbian"

Ryan Russell On His Coming Out

Ryan Russell is an NFL player who came out as bisexual in 2019.  The former Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Buffalo Bills player had fought with his own sexual identity for years, until a shoulder injury sidelined him from American football in 2018.

It was during this time that he wrote an essay for ESPN, in which he publicly came out as bisexual.  He has been out of the league since then, meaning that in the year 2021 the NFL has yet to see an openly gay or bisexual player take to the field.

Speaking to the BBC, he described the process of deciding to come out as "daunting and paralysing," but said he's "got to keep moving forward - I want to be the first, but never the last."

Growing up in Texas, religion and football were the most important things for Russell and everyone in his community. But after moving away to college in Indiana, Russell had his first relationship with a man.

"In college, I thought, 'Am I turning gay?' I know now that you don't turn gay," he said.

Russell explained that he felt it would have been selfish to come out as gay, as he had reached a point in his career where he was finally able to provide for his mother, and didn't want create any distractions.

Banning Transgender Athletes

One of President Joe Biden’s early priorities in office has been reversing ex-President Donald Trump’s anti-transgender policies. In response, conservative state legislators are introducing their own anti-trans bills, seeking to limit transgender and nonbinary people’s access to healthcare, restrooms, and perhaps most notably, sports.

Some of them are already beginning to pass.

On Biden’s first day in the White House, he signed an executive order mandating transgender students be able to learn without facing sex discrimination. Later, he nullified the Trump administration’s ban on transgender military service. By the end of January, lawmakers in six states introduced bills aimed at limiting participation for transgender athletes. Last year, 20 such measures were presented.

Currently, there are eight bills across seven states aimed at curbing transgender rights, according to the ACLU.

Last week, lawmakers in North Dakota’s House passed a bill that would prohibit public schools from allowing students to participate on sports teams that don’t correspond with their biological sex. Nearly 1,500 miles south, the Mississippi State Senate passed legislation that would bar transgender athletes from competing in girls’ or women’s sports in the state’s schools and universities.

Despite the national fervor surrounding the issue, Idaho is the only state that’s successfully enacted a law banning transgender athletes from female sports, and it’s currently being litigated in federal court. Last August, a judge issued a temporary injunction to suspend the edict.

Banning Transgender Athletes

Gender Pronouns

Pronouns are words that people use to refer to others. They are a useful way to replace nouns such as names. Some examples include:

Sally went to the shops to buy herself some snacks.  Fred went to the shops to buy himself some snacks.   Ash went to the shops to buy themself some snacks.

Pronouns are useful tools, but it is important to remember that some people may use different pronouns in different situations, and some may not use pronouns at all.  People will be less likely to make assumptions and mistakes about another person’s pronouns if they ask which pronouns they should use and share their own when introducing themselves.

Pronouns are important because, by using a person’s pronouns correctly, other people are showing them respect and forming an inclusive environment.  It is important to never assume a person’s pronouns. By assuming a person’s pronouns, it is possible to send an unintended message that people must look a certain way to be able to use their pronouns.

Using the wrong pronouns can be offensive or even harmful. Ignoring a person’s pronouns can also imply that people who are under the transgender umbrella — such as those who are transgender, nonbinary, or gender non-conforming — do not exist.

By using a person’s pronouns correctly, people can reduce the adverse effects of social oppression.

One 2016 study found that affirming a person’s pronouns — and, in extension, their gender — lowers depression and raises self-esteem. A person affirming another’s pronoun use can help others feel comfortable with their external appearance and their gender identity.

Gender Pronouns

A key product of LGBTQ pro wrestling’s expanding profile is a heightened focus on reaching out to and supporting LGBTQ communities outside of the industry. That process goes beyond the welcoming atmosphere cultivated by LGBTQ-focused events or the increased presentation of marginalized identities.

Those leading the charge are using their platform to invoke LGBTQ history and impact marginalized populations beyond those already interested in checking out the in-ring action. Like any movement, though, a coalition between community members and allies only helps to strengthen the house being built. Especially when an ally has the ability to reach audiences that don’t regularly interact with LGBTQ identities.

For Ring of Honor announcer Ian Riccaboni, being part of that coalition as an ally is requisite to his role as the voice of a major pro wrestling organization. He literally lent his voice to the cause in January when he committed all profits from his Cameo account between Jan. 13 (Riccaboni’s birthday) and April 1 (his wife’s birthday) to the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center in his hometown of Allentown, PA.

Located in the heart of Allentown, the Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center serves LGBTQ populations throughout the Lehigh Valley through community advocacy campaigns and various arts, health, youth and pride programs.

According to Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center executive director Adrian Shanker, the Covid-19 pandemic pushed the center’s main focus to LGBTQ health advocacy. “We’ve engaged more strongly in health advocacy to ensure that the public health leaders in Pennsylvania that are making decisions throughout the pandemic are including LGBT people,” Shanker told Outsports.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »

Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021

Fort Macleod Courthouse

A historic courthouse building in Fort Macleod is soon to get a new lease on life.

The nearly 120-year-old building, which is a designated historic property, is featured in both the Oscar-winning film Brokeback Mountain and Emmy Award-winning TV series Fargo.

Sue Keenan, the town's chief administrative officer, says they have had a number of offers and are close to a deal. "We've had people come through that want to use it as a personal residence, bed and breakfast, wine — like a wine store, wine cellar, wine tasting," Keenan said.

Keenan said they even had one offer to use the old courthouse for a marijuana business.  "I thought, how ironic is that," she said. "All the judges must roll over in their graves."

Built in 1902, the building served as a courthouse and offices for the North-West Mounted Police.  In the late 1970s, the town's administration moved in and maintained occupancy until the building went up for sale two years ago, listed at $225,000.

"When you look at what you're going to get for that, it really is a good deal," Keenan said, adding that they want to keep the designated historic property a public space.

Fort Macleod Courthouse

Helping UK Gay Men of Color

A new U.K.-based initiative is creating a groundswell of action around the sexual health of queer men of color. The Requisite Project recently launched out of PrEPster, an advocacy organization that started in October 2015 to connect historically marginalized communities to information, services, and organizing tools related to the HIV prevention pill.

The project comes less than a year after England’s National Health Service announced funding to enable PrEP availability for the general public outside of the IMPACT trial. While activists in the U.S. are struggling to reduce the barriers to PrEP access for queer people of color almost a decade after approval, the Requisite Project is in a critical place in their country’s PrEP roll-out to be a trusted, community-based resource to engage and inform queer men of color.

The project is headed by Phil Samba, PrEPster’s strategic lead of #PrEP4QueerMenOfColour. Samba initially met PrEPster co-founders, Dr. Will Nutland and Marc Thompson, at U.K. Black Pride in 2017. He expressed a desire to get involved in expanding access to information about PrEP in communities of color, and PrEPster took him to task. Samba was brought on as the strategic mind around reaching queer men of color in the organization within the year.

Samba wanted to find a way for queer men of color to talk to each other, rather than waiting for often imperfect information that comes from larger organizational efforts that aren’t specific to the community. “My frustration came from the powers that be for not sharing this information with queer men of color,” Samba emphasized in our interview. “I didn’t want to be angry at queer men of color themselves for not openly talking about their sexual health.”

Helping UK Gay Men of Color

TV's First Black Lesbian Superhero

Even though she plays a powerful character on TV, Black Lightning star Nafessa Williams wasn't a big fan of superheroes growing up. "The whole idea of powers behind being a superhero was always fascinating as a kid but I couldn't relate to anyone. I didn't see any that looked like me, whose hair, dress, and skin looked like mine," the actress tells HelloGiggles over Zoom. Now, though, through her role as Anissa Pierce, AKA Thunder, on CW's live action series, Williams is changing all of that. She's making history as the first Black, lesbian superhero on television, so today's young women of color, especially members of the queer community, can finally look to a strong, powerful superhero for inspiration.

"I think that's our duty as artists and storytellers to connect with people, give them something authentic that they can relate to," she says.

When Williams was offered the part in 2017, she immediately said yes. The actress had already been on multiple shows including One Life to Live, Code Black and more recently, Twin Peaks, but was looking for a boundary-pushing project. "I wanted a show that I was passionate about, that was going to help play a really important role in our culture, so when I saw this character it was a no brainer for me," she says. "Once I found out that it was the first Black superhero family, I was like, 'sign me up!'"

Since Black Lightning began airing, Thunder has become a role model for young women, with girls even sporting Thunder costumes on Halloween. Whenever Williams posts about the show on Instagram, fans comment on its impact on culture.

TV's First Black Lesbian Superhero

Ryan Russell is an NFL player who came out as bisexual in 2019.  The former Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Buffalo Bills player had fought with his own sexual identity for years, until a shoulder injury sidelined him from American football in 2018.

It was during this time that he wrote an essay for ESPN, in which he publicly came out as bisexual.  He has been out of the league since then, meaning that in the year 2021 the NFL has yet to see an openly gay or bisexual player take to the field.

Speaking to the BBC, he described the process of deciding to come out as "daunting and paralysing," but said he's "got to keep moving forward - I want to be the first, but never the last."

Growing up in Texas, religion and football were the most important things for Russell and everyone in his community. But after moving away to college in Indiana, Russell had his first relationship with a man.

"In college, I thought, 'Am I turning gay?' I know now that you don't turn gay," he said.

Russell explained that he felt it would have been selfish to come out as gay, as he had reached a point in his career where he was finally able to provide for his mother, and didn't want create any distractions.

Vanessa Warri Fights Against Trans Violence

As a teenage runaway in the foster care system and forced into homelessness, Vanessa Warri's childhood was marked by trauma -- but she's overcoming her early circumstances despite the odds.

"Black transgender women rarely make it past 35," she said. "Elders in my community fought and marched and sacrificed and advocated in the hopes that one day, a young trans person could be able to walk in spaces they couldn't." 

The 30-year-old is now a social welfare MSW/PhD candidate at UCLA. In many ways, Warri knows she's an exception to an often cruel reality for many Black transgender youth and women.

Transgender and gender-nonconforming people face risks that make them particularly vulnerable to homicide. Some experience bias explicitly because of their gender identity. For others, their identity makes them more likely to experience other risk factors, such as unemployment or homelessness, experts say. The risks are compounded for trans women of color, especially Black women, who face the additional burden of racism.

Last year was the deadliest one on record for transgender Americans, with Black transgender women accounting for two-thirds of total recorded deaths since 2013, according the Human Rights Campaign.  Already in 2021, the organization has identified at least six violent deaths of transgender or gender non-conforming people — emphasizing the phrase "at least" because historically these crimes have gone misreported.

Vanessa Warri Fights Against Trans Violence

Teaching Kids About Pronouns and Respect

While most people today would disagree with the adage “children should be seen, not heard,” many act as though young people’s identities are not theirs to articulate. Adults affirm children being expressive through extracurriculars. We encourage them to be entrepreneurs, and teach them to self-advocate. Unfortunately, adults can also limit and restrict possibilities for children.

The stakes around identity affirmation are life-and-death high: Sexism, homophobia and transphobia are pervasive, making it dangerous to be gender nonconforming. Perhaps that’s why some adults respond to questions around young people’s gender identities with so much fear, even coercion. Maybe we’re scared for them, or maybe we’re wedded to our bigotry. Whatever the case, it’s unhealthy for our children. They have to be able to be who they are.

In fact, there are scads of grown-ups who used to be children who hid their identities out of fear of rejection, loss, displacement, violence and other abuse. They needed to be affirmed and protected, and their communities failed.

After our team at the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) partnered with Cartoon Network to release our comic strip about pronouns and respect, people responded with statements like:

“I wish I had seen this sort of thing as a kid. I definitely would have come out sooner than I did. I’m glad that this generation of kids are learning these things.”
“It makes me feel seen, and it warms my heart. All the younger ones who get to see themselves on screen and know their favorite channel thinks they’re rad? YES.”

Teaching Kids About Pronouns and Respect

Congresswoman Barbara Lee

As Black History Month draws to a close, Congresswoman Barbara Lee on Friday introduced a resolution honoring the contributions of Black LGBTQ+ people.

Lee, the longtime Oakland Democrat, singled out BLACK LGBTQ+ leaders past and present and to uplift their contributions in the February 26 document.   Black LGBTQ+ Americans have made significant strides in the fields of politics, entertainment, athletics, and more, a news release from her office stated. This resolution recognizes and celebrates these contributions.

"The accomplishments of Black LGBTQ+ citizens have often been downplayed or ignored while they face the compounding impacts of racism and anti-LGBTQ+ bias," Lee stated. "However, these harsh realities have not diminished the impact of notable Black LGBTQ+ leaders like Barbara Jordan, Marsha P. Johnson, and Bayard Rustin."

Jordan was the first Black woman elected to Congress from the South (Texas) and a leader in the civil rights movement. As the Bay Area Reporter noted in an LGBTQ History Month article last fall, Jordan's lesbianism was a worst-kept secret during her rise as a Democratic star: it was well-known among her friends and colleagues as they were introduced to her partner of more than 30 years, Nancy Earl, but it was never discussed publicly.

Johnson was a leader of the Stonewall riots in 1969 in New York City. Along with friend and fellow trans activist Sylvia Rivera, Johnson founded Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries, one of the first trans organizations in New York.

Congresswoman Barbara Lee

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 03:26:34 PM »

Tuesday, March 9th, 2021

Ang Lee and Chung Mong-hong

You can count two-time Oscar-winning director Ang Lee (“Brokeback Mountain,” “Life of Pi”) among the fans of Chung Mong-hong, whose latest film “A Sun” (Netflix) became a sleeper hit last year. With his film now shortlisted in the Oscar race as Taiwan’s Best International Feature Film submission, Chung sat down with his countryman Lee in Taiwan to discuss his creative process.

“I’m quite familiar with your previous works. Call me a fan,” Lee said in the interview recorded for the Academy. “The otherworldly atmosphere and the poetic undertone, sometimes even the void, the grace, are all very Taiwanese. Many people, including myself, are deeply impressed.”

Chung’s fifth directorial effort, “A Sun,” screened at festivals including Tokyo and Toronto in 2019 and Palm Springs in 2020 and swept the Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards. But the Mandarin-language crime drama got little attention in the US — Variety and the Hollywood Reporter skipped reviews at TIFF. It began getting attention long after it appeared on Netflix in January 2020; Variety named it the best film of last year and IndieWire’s David Ehrlich made a case for its Oscar consideration.

Trained as a cinematographer, Chung wrote most of his previous films, including his 2008 debut “Parking,” which premiered at Cannes. But for “A Sun,” he ended up working with Chang Yao-sheng — for someone used to fuller creative dominance, he admits it was a struggle to find the right collaborator, likening the process to trying various home remedies before realizing one’s ailment needs a physician’s attention.

Ang Lee and Chung Mong-hong

First Gay Rom-Com by a Major Studio

“Bros,” a boundary-breaking rom-com centering the love story of two gay men, will hit theaters next August, according to the studio behind the film, Universal Pictures.

The film will star Billy Eichner, of "Billy on the Street" fame, who is also co-writing and executive producing. The release of “Bros” will make Eichner, 42, the first openly gay man to write and star in a major motion picture.

“I honestly can’t believe it... move over, Julia Roberts,” Eichner wrote on Twitter Friday, “there’s a new rom-com QUEEN in town!”

Eichner recently told Variety how much representation matters to him, and it was when watching “Love, Simon,” a film about a gay kid in high school who falls in love, that, “Straight people go to the movies and literally see themselves all the time... it was so unusual to have a connection to what was happening on-screen instead of being a step or two removed. ‘Love, Simon’ really got to me.”

“Bros,” will be produced by Judd Apatow, who was also behind the film “The Big Sick,” which starred Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan and was credited with breaking all the rules of traditional romantic comedies. The genre has continued to expand its definition of what love stories look like, and over the 2020 holiday season Hulu released “The Happiest Season,” one of the first holiday films to feature a lesbian romance.

First Gay Rom-Com by a Major Studio

Jodie Foster and The Golden Globes

Full of delighted surprise, acting and directing legend Jodie Foster picked up a Golden Globe tonight for her starring role in the political thriller The Mauritanian.

Foster accepted the award while sitting on her couch with her wife, Alexsandra Hedison. The pair kissed immediately after the win was announced. "I love my wife, thank you Alex!" she said while petting her dog. She and Hedison married in 2014.

In The Mauritanian, Foster played Nancy Hollander, a lawyer who represents one of the men accused of planning and organizing the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center, Mohamedou Ould Slahi. The film is based on Slahi's book Guantanamo Diary.

"I'm a little speechless," she said in her acceptance speech, while wearing Prada pajamas. "I just never expected to be here again."

Foster was up against a stacked category of actresses including Glenn Close for Hillbilly Elegy, Olivia Colman for The Father, Amanda Seyfriend for Mank, and Helena Zengel for News of The World.

Jodie Foster and The Golden Globes

The Left Wants Everyone to Be Bisexual

A Utah county councilman and former mayor has apologized for issuing a Facebook post that claimed “the left” wanted everyone to not to be white, be bisexual, and non-monogamous, and be miserable.

“the left won’t be happy until we each have light brown skin, exactly alike (or else there will remain someone whiter than the another),” Salt Lake County councilman David Alvord (R) wrote on his personal page, “they…wont be happy until we are all bi-sexual or in non-committed relationships…. they won’t be happy until we are as miserable as they are.”

The lengthy post also claimed that this supposed “left” seeks everyone living in the “same sized residential pod,” can’t wait “until we have no children,” hopes the “population decline” comes close to endangered animals like “spotted owl and exotic salamander,” and that “no one smiles” or “laughs more than another.”

He took down the post when contacted by the Salt Lake Tribune on March 3.

Alvord, a dentist by trade, was formerly the mayor of South Jordan City, Utah from 2014 to 2018. He returned to politics by running and winning a seat representing District 2 on the Salt Lake County Council beginning in January.

“I think I could have been more diplomatic. What I wanted to challenge is to really consider the endgame of the far left,” he claimed in text messages with the Salt Lake Tribune. “What mission is accomplished?”

The Left Wants Everyone to Be Bisexual

State Bills Target Transgender Youth

A growing number of states have introduced legislation that LGBTQ advocates say targets transgender youth and their access to school sports and gender-affirming health care.

At least two dozen states have introduced bills this year that would ban transgender girls and women from participating in sports consistent with their gender identity, compared to 18 last year, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. Sixteen states have also introduced bills that would prohibit and in some cases criminalize gender-affirming care for trans youth, such as puberty-blocking medications and hormones, up from 15 last year, according to the ACLU.

"I've been doing this work a long time, and frankly, never really seen anything like this, in terms of the nature of the rhetoric and the sweeping nature of the bills," Chase Strangio, deputy director for transgender justice at the ACLU, told ABC News.

LGBTQ advocates say the bills are discriminatory, transphobic and unnecessary measures that stem from previous attempts to impose "bathroom bills," restricting what facilities transgender individuals can use, and before that, overturn marriage equality.

"Now they're taking on trans kids -- some of the most vulnerable members of the LGBTQ community -- and trying to isolate them and prohibit them from accessing care and, frankly, pushing this narrative that being trans is something that is put on for some kind of advantage, that it's pushed on children by adults," Kate Oakley, state legislative director and senior counsel for the Human Rights Campaign, told ABC News. "It's really invalidating transgender identity."

State Bills Target Transgender Youth

How I Found Out I Was Intersex

The sixth letter of LGBTQI stands for intersex – people born into a body that doesn’t match the normative definition of a man or woman.

It’s an umbrella term that comprises a lot of different natural body variations – for example, someone who is born with both male and female genes. Because it’s such a wide category, it’s hard to know exactly how many intersex people there are in the world, with estimates ranging from 0.02 up to 1.7 percent of the global population.

Intersex people are still hugely misunderstood, even by healthcare professionals. In a 2017 study, medical students self-reported they had less medical knowledge about intersex people than any other identity on the LGBTQI spectrum. Research by the Belgian University Hospital Ghent and the Dutch Rutgers Centre found that only one in three people in the Netherlands and Flanders could explain what being intersex means.

Figuring out who you are in a society where most people don’t know the first thing about your identity isn’t easy. We asked three people how they found out they were intersex – and what the label means for them today.

Click the link below to read their stories.

How I Found Out I Was Intersex

A Golden Ally

The Golden Girls is one of the most iconic sitcoms of all time and has earned a special love from the LGBTQ community since it first premiered over three decades ago. One of the four Golden Girls was an outspoken ally for LGBTQ people in real life, and came to their defense at a time when it wasn’t popular to do so.

Though it was an old-school sitcom starring four white women in the 1980s, The Golden Girls broached several issues that remain hot topics of discussion today.

In one episode, a young Mario Lopez guest-starred as a star student of Dorothy’s (played by Bea Arthur). But when she finds out he’s an undocumented immigrant, she does everything in her power to help him stay in the US, and is ultimately unsuccessful. Rather than demonize him or his parents for his immigration status, the often cold-hearted Dorothy leads with genuine empathy and passion.

In the short-lived spinoff series The Golden Palace, Blanche (Rue McClanahan)’s love for the Confederate flag and the “old days” of the South offended Roland (Don Cheadle), the manager of the hotel the Golden Girls owned. Roland tries several times to explain to Blanche why the flag is offensive, and it isn’t until one of her friends makes a racist comment about him where she realizes what it really means to Black people.

Estelle Getty played the sharp-tongued Sophia Petrillo on the show, but Getty in real life was much more considerate of what she said and didn’t want to offend people with her character’s lines.

A Golden Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: frokes, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »

Tuesday, March 16th, 2021

Defining Moment For Heath's Joker

The Joker is a monumental villain in comics and in cinema. He is an embodiment of chaos, a true enigma, and the purest opponent of Batman. Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight arguably features the greatest portrayal of the Joker on screen. Jack Nicholson’s version in 1989 set a high bar and Joaquin Phoenix gave audiences an in-depth origin of the criminal mastermind. Neither were able to represent the spirit of the character as well as Heath Ledger did in 2008. In fact, there is one specific scene that clearly and unequivocally defines Heath Ledger’s Joker as the authentic expression of the villain.

Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Trilogy set the tone for superhero movies for the next decade until the MCU blossomed supreme. From 2005’s Batman Begins to 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises, fans were treated to a version of Batman never seen, that of real and gritty. It eschewed the comic book trappings in favor of explainable and practical narratives. How then, were they to incorporate a character like the Joker? The Joker is a notorious madman, full of fatal comedic energy and a vibrant colorful theme. Instead of playing into the chemical mishap used in one of the Joker’s origins, they turned to the psychological and to the philosophical.

Armed with mania and principle (of a sort), Heath Ledger’s Joker dominated the scenes he was in and elevated The Dark Knight. He won a posthumous Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his performance. The demonstration of the core philosophy of Heath Ledger’s Joker is found in the scene where he burns a pyramid of money. There are several reasons why this is such an enthralling scene.

The movie begins with an elaborate bank heist. The Joker plotted with other robbers to steal money from the mob while also killing each successive robber until only he remained. He then uses his newly ill-gained fortune as leverage over the mob bosses. He says to them that in exchange for keeping half of what he stole, he will kill the Batman. They reluctantly agree.

Defining Moment For Heath's Joker

1992 & NYC's Gay Bar Killer

On 10 July 1992, a grisly stash of body parts was found in trash bags by a rest stop on the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey. The parts had been cut so cleanly that barely any blood could be found amid the sinew and bone. Over the next few years, similar scenes of horror would emerge in the region, leaving scores of clues about the character of the victims as well as the origin and method of their deaths.

If this story had traced the common arc of serial killings, a wave of fear would have rippled through the communities most likely to suffer the next victim. But it didn’t happen that way. In fact, the people who were most at risk – in this case, gay men who met for hook-ups at New York City bars that served the community – were given no sustained or amplified warnings by either the authorities or the media, creating a safe space for the murderer to continue to wreak havoc. In fact, the case got so little attention relative to its horror that today few remember it, even within the gay community.

Now, three decades after the murders, journalist Elon Green has written a book titled Last Call: A True Story of Love, Lust, and Murder in Queer New York that goes beyond the facts of the story to reveal the larger issues that surrounded them. “It’s important for people to see how anti-queer bigotry manifested itself in this case,” he said to the Guardian. “They need to understand the stakes, not just for the victims but for the men who simply went to these bars during that period. There are systemic issues here.”

While LGBTQ people may still be at considerably elevated risk for violence, the level of peril and contempt was far higher in the late 80s and early 90s, when the bulk of the book takes place. Worse, that period represented the height of ignorance and fear about Aids, as well as the peak death toll in the gay community in the west, greatly impacting how the community was viewed. “Aids took what was, at best, a level of indifference towards gay people and turned it into revulsion,” said Green.

1992 & NYC's Gay Bar Killer

"Keep Quiet", Brooke Eden Was Told

Country singer Brooke Eden was in the whirlwind early stages of her career in 2015, intensely focused on preparing for an extensive tour of radio stations across the country, when something completely unexpected happened: She fell in love.

During the first week of her radio tour, Eden met Hilary Hoover, who worked as a promotions director at the time for her record label. The two started dating, and soon Eden was happier than she had ever been. But when she came out to several people in the industry — and specifically to some who worked on her team — she was met with a warning.

“If you want to keep your career,” they told her, “you need to keep this quiet.”

And she did. Eden was a rising artist well aware that among a certain set in Nashville, female country singers are expected to date male country singers, and are advised against potentially upsetting conservative fans in general. So she kept her relationship with Hoover under wraps. That is until last year, when Eden realized she was exhausted by essentially living a double life. And she was done staying quiet.

Eden’s journey has culminated in her first new music in four years, a trilogy of joyful songs that tell the story of emerging from a dark place and finding yourself in a healthy relationship. “No Shade” dropped last month, and “Sunroof” debuted Friday. (A third song, “Got No Choice,” will premiere in mid-April.) Hoover co-stars in the “Sunroof” music video, which features her and Eden on a road trip, making it the rare country video to feature a same-sex couple.

"Keep Quiet", Brooke Eden Was Told

Bisexuality

“Don’t play games, Christian, if you like dudes, you’re definitely just gay!”  “You can’t hook up with men and still think women would be attracted to you.”

These are just a few of the responses I’ve had to confront after coming out as bisexual last year at age 20.

And it’s not just me. I have a friend who exclusively dated men until coming out as bisexual and was told, “You’re just bored and looking to experiment with women” and “You’re just doing it to be trendy” and “You’re definitely going to marry a man in the end.”

I just can’t seem to wrap my head around these outdated notions of societal norms: When a guy comes out as bisexual, he’s viewed by some as “really gay” and when a woman comes out as bisexual, some say she’s actually “just straight”?

A better name for it is “bierasure,” or bisexual erasure, one of the lesser known issues that plague the LGBTQIA+ community. Bierasure is the tendency to ignore and falsify evidence of bisexuality — being attracted to two or more genders — and its existence. That’s what leads to painful comments when someone comes out as bisexual, such as, “You’re just confused,” “You just want attention” and “You just took a detour on the train to gay town.”

Bisexuality

Activists Pushing For Awareness

Madison residents marched from Dayton Street up to the State Capitol on Friday to advocate for transgender rights and bring awareness to discrimination against the Wisconsin transgender community.

Once the march fed into the Capitol Square, about 100 protestors began a rally at 6 p.m. which continued into the night. They were protesting against a set of GOP bills that would ban transgender students from girls and women’s sports in the state of Wisconsin from elementary school to college.

Protestors also gathered at the Capitol when the bills were introduced on March 3. The Wisconsin LGBTQ Caucus called the legislation “cruel and discriminatory.”

Even if the bill is passed in the Republican-controlled legislature, it is likely that Democratic Gov. Tony Evers would use his veto power to overrule it. Evers tweeted in support of transgender kids after the bills were introduced.  Even so, activists find this bill to be another example of pushing hate against the transgender community.

Oliver, a Madison resident and protestor on Friday said, “The Republicans just try to push so much anti-trans stuff, and we know it's not going to pass. But we still need to be out here because people think Madison is a safe place for trans people and it's not. I’ve experienced a lot of discrimination.”

Activists Pushing For Awareness

Conversation About Asexuality

When we talk about sexual diversity, many different identities come to mind. We know that people can be sexually attracted to men, to women, and/or to nonbinary people. But what about those who feel little to no sexual or romantic attraction at all?

Asexual people, also known as aces, feel little to no sexual attraction towards other people, while aromantic people feel little to no romantic attraction. Asexuality and aromanticism form the “A” in the LGBTQIA+ acronym.

Aaron ‘23 identifies as a homoromantic asexual. In other words, while they can be romantically attracted to people of the same sex, they do not feel sexual attraction to anyone.

“I identified myself as asexual when I was in Junior College,” Aaron recalls. “I was having a lot of conversations with friends about their crushes and the people they were attracted to. They would always mention the physical aspect of these people.”

“I realized that it was something that I completely didn’t identify with and didn’t really understand to begin with,” they say. “I had literally never considered, or even wanted to consider, that aspect.”

Another Yale-NUS College student, who wishes to be identified only as H ‘21, identifies as a heteroromantic asexual. She recounts: “I realized that while I do feel romantic attraction towards men, I just cannot imagine having any sort of sexual contact.”

Conversation About Asexuality

A Golden Ally

The Golden Girls is one of the most iconic sitcoms of all time and has earned a special love from the LGBTQ community since it first premiered over three decades ago. One of the four Golden Girls was an outspoken ally for LGBTQ people in real life, and came to their defense at a time when it wasn’t popular to do so.

Though it was an old-school sitcom starring four white women in the 1980s, The Golden Girls broached several issues that remain hot topics of discussion today.

In one episode, a young Mario Lopez guest-starred as a star student of Dorothy’s (played by Bea Arthur). But when she finds out he’s an undocumented immigrant, she does everything in her power to help him stay in the US, and is ultimately unsuccessful. Rather than demonize him or his parents for his immigration status, the often cold-hearted Dorothy leads with genuine empathy and passion.

In the short-lived spinoff series The Golden Palace, Blanche (Rue McClanahan)’s love for the Confederate flag and the “old days” of the South offended Roland (Don Cheadle), the manager of the hotel the Golden Girls owned. Roland tries several times to explain to Blanche why the flag is offensive, and it isn’t until one of her friends makes a racist comment about him where she realizes what it really means to Black people.

Estelle Getty played the sharp-tongued Sophia Petrillo on the show, but Getty in real life was much more considerate of what she said and didn’t want to offend people with her character’s lines.

A Golden Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 03:17:42 PM »

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021

MGM and "Combat Control"

The Sam Hargrave directed film Combat Patrol starring actor Jake Gyllenhaal is inching closer to finding a home with MGM report our buddies over at Variety.

Combat Patrol is based off the smash best-selling true account Alone at Dawn: Medal of Honor Recipient John Chapman and the Untold Story of the World’s Deadliest Special Operations Force written by Dan Schilling and Lori Longfritz. Per the title, the story chronicles the sacrifice made by Medal of Honor recipient and Special Ops Combat Controller John Chapman to save the lives of twenty-three of his fellow soldiers during the Afghan War.

Hargrave, a longtime actor and stunt person who made a splash directing the 2020 movie Extraction, will be serving as an associate producer on the film while also directing from a script by Michael Russell Gunn (The Newsroom). Shelby Mallone will saddle up alongside Hargrave to help out with associate producer chores. Executive producing Combat Patrol will be the film’s star Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Cassells.

And speaking of Combat Patrol’s leading man, Gyllenhaal has long been one of those actors with some seriously underrated chops: Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, The Good Girl, Zodiac and Nightcrawler are all films featuring the thespian’s talents and worth a look by any film fan worth their salt. His presence in Combat Patrol belies good things indeed (as we try to overlook Prince of Persia and The Day After Tomorrow; hey, even Brando and Clift had their off-days…).

MGM and "Combat Control"

Attempted Murder of Gay Man

A southwest Louisiana man was charged with federal hate crime and kidnapping charges Thursday by prosecutors who said he tried to kill and dismember one of three men he abducted after luring them using social media and a dating app.

Chance Joseph Seneca, 19, of Lafayette, was charged Thursday in what a Justice Department news release called “an overarching scheme to kidnap and murder” gay men. The indictment said Seneca intended to keep parts of a victim’s body as “mementos, trophies and food.”

Along with Thursday’s federal indictment in Lafayette is a newly unsealed affidavit that says Lafayette police responding to a call from Seneca last June found Holden White, 18, severely injured in a bathtub with strangulation marks on his neck and “wrists slit to the bone.”

The indictment further alleges that Seneca tried to cover up his actions by deleting communications between himself and the victim of the attempted murder.

The affidavit was filed in August by an FBI agent and was based on information from Lafayette police and a conversation the agent had with Seneca. It said Seneca told police he had called 911 after the attack “in a self-described effort to be put into a mental institution.”

White later said that he is certain he was targeted because he is gay.

Attempted Murder of Gay Man

Lesbians Attacked in Super Market

A lesbian couple shopping at a Tesco market in the United Kingdom were the victims of a homophobic verbal assault so aggressive they were forced to hide from their attackers in a security office. Police in Kent released CCTV images showing the three woman they say are responsible for the homophobic assault at the Tesco market in Gillingham, Kent, and are asking for the public’s help in bringing the suspected bigots to justice. Police are investigating the assault as a hate crime incident.

According to a statement from Kent Police, the attack happened around 3:15 p.m. on Sunday, January 31, of this year. All five women were shopping at the Tesco market on Courteney Road when the unnamed lesbian couple reported being “targeted” by the three women now wanted for questioning. For reasons unknown, the bigoted trio allegedly hurled a collection of homophobic language so abusive the lesbian couple “had to seek refuge inside a security office” to escape the onslaught.

Police reported they have conducted “several enquiries to locate the suspects” but have come up empty-handed. They have released the CCTV images of the suspects in hopes the public may recognize the three women and help bring them to justice. Two of the women were properly masked throughout the incident, but one woman did not wear her mask and her face can be clearly seen in the images.

According to a report from the Home Office, UK hate crimes targeting sexual orientation increased 19 percent to 15,835 reported incidents in 2020. Hate crimes against the transgender community increased 9 percent to 8,469 reported incidents during the same period. A report from the FBI showed similar rises in hate crimes in the United States, with nearly 1 in 5 hates crimes aimed at the queer people.

Lesbians Attacked in Super Market

Bisexual Man Outed by Drunk Mom

Anthony, 26, shared with PinkNews how he came out as bisexual to his mother in 2020, and he was soon outed to his wider family. As a result, he was asked to leave his family home. With nowhere to stay and no job, Anthony was made homeless, and he is just now at the point of being able to turn his life around.

He told PinkNews that he grew up in a home that did not accept anything outside of heteronormativity. He said his family had always been close, but he was subjected to abusive and toxic behaviours because his dad is an alcoholic.

“I knew I was loved to an extent and that I was always cared for,” Anthony said. “Now, looking back, it’s not something nice for a child to go through.”

He said he had always been especially close with his mother and sisters, but he still struggled with his father’s toxic views of masculinity. Anthony said his father would constantly say he wasn’t “manly enough” or that he was “going to be gay“.

He told PinkNews that he knew from the age of 15 that he wasn’t straight, and he shared how one of his friends, who is a lesbian, helped him discover he was bisexual. Anthony said he went through a “stage of almost telling myself I was straight” and that his attraction to men was “just a phase”.

“Having to hide that and knowing deep down inside that you are [bisexual] feels like the most painful thing ever,” Anthony explained. “It’s like there’s this little person inside you that just wants to be free, but you can’t do it because there’s something that stops you.”

Bisexual Man Outed by Drunk Mom

Violence Against Transgendered People Continues

A 32-year-old woman suffered critically serious injuries when she was almost raped and stabbed early Saturday, police said.

The woman, who is transgender, told police a man tried to kill her inside a home on East Montana Street in Philadelphia.

Police said the man began to rip her clothes off before stabbing her multiple times. After police responded to reports of a fight, the woman ran down the stairs covered in blood and collapsed at officers' feet.

Police have charged Robert Easley, 45, of East Montana Street, with attempted rape, aggravated assault, sexual assault and related offenses.

Attacks on transgender people in Philadelphia, particularly those of color, has been called an "epidemic of violence."

In September, 29-year-old Mia Green was found fatally shot in the neck of a car during a traffic stop.

Violence Against Transgendered People Continues

High School Swimmer Comes Out as Nonbinary

One of the happiest moments of my life came at a random high school swim meet in December 2020.  It wasn’t even a meet we won. But it was the first meet after I had come out, and just being able to be myself was enough. I knew I wasn’t alone anymore. Coming out was both the dumbest thing I ever did and the scariest thing I ever did. But I’ll get to that later.

I’m from the suburbs of Rochester, New York. Not the best environment for a queer teenager, but definitely not the worst either. However, high school sports teams are pretty much the most anti-queer spaces I can think of.

Homophobic jokes and even slurs are commonplace. Far from the most accepting environment for a nonbinary kid struggling with their identity (nonbinary people identify as outside the gender binary, neither male nor female). But I made it work.

For more than 17 years, I was never really concerned about my identity. I’m not sure if it was denial or just plain ignorance, and I don’t think I’ll ever know. I just never really thought about it. I should have seen it sooner.

I’d never gotten along very well with most of the athletes at my high school or even at my club team — I tolerated them. I became friends with a few of them, but my true friends were always the LGBTQ athletes. I never sought them out, we just happened to find each other. Even, in some cases, when neither of us knew we were LGBTQ at the time. I suppose you could call it gaydar. And yet somehow, I still missed all the signs.

High School Swimmer Comes Out as Nonbinary

LGBTQ Ally Confirmed by Senate as Interior Secretary

New Mexico Congresswoman Deb Haaland was confirmed Monday in a 51-40 vote by the Senate, becoming the first Native American to serve in a presidential cabinet as the fifty-fourth Secretary of the Interior.

The vote to confirm was along party lines, however Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, (SC) joined three other Republican Senators, Lisa Murkowski, and Dan Sullivan, (Alaska) and Senator Susan Collins, (ME) in voting to confirm Haaland.

A member of the Laguna Pueblo tribal nation, Secretary Haaland will oversee the management and conservation of federal land holdings including national parks and monuments as well as the nation’s natural resources. She is the third resident from the State of New Mexico to hold the post and the first woman in addition to her historic confirmation to President Joe Biden’s Cabinet as a Native American.

In her role as Interior Secretary overseeing 70,000 employees, making it one of the largest federal government departments, she will lead agencies including the Bureau of Land Management, the United States Geological Survey, and the National Park Service, the Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies that manage lands, waters and coastal areas.

Haaland will also oversee the the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the Bureau of Indian Education and the Bureau of Trust Fund Administration. The Bureau of Indian Education has come under fire from advocates and lawmakers for what is generally perceived as its failure to adequately address issues that affect Native American students in the past decade plus.

The All Pueblo Council of Governors also issued a statement lauding their fellow Pueblo member’s confirmation the Arizona Central reported.

LGBTQ Ally Confirmed by Senate as Interior Secretary

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »

Tuesday, March 30th, 2021

Remembering Larry McMurtry

Larry Jeff McMurtry (June 3, 1936 – March 25, 2021) was an American novelist, essayist, bookseller, and screenwriter whose work was predominantly set in either the Old West or contemporary Texas.

He was born in Archer City, Texas, 25 miles from Wichita Falls.  He grew up on a ranch outside Archer City. The city was the model for the town of Thalia which is a setting for much of his fiction.

After graduating high school, he earned degrees from the University of North Texas (B.A. 1958) and Rice University (M.A. 1960).

McMurtry married Jo Scott, who is an English professor and has authored five books.  Before divorcing, they had a son together, James McMurtry. Both he and his son (Larry's grandson) Curtis McMurtry are singer/songwriters and guitarists.  McMurtry married Norma Faye Kesey, the widow of writer Ken Kesey, on April 29, 2011, in a civil ceremony in Archer City.

During the 1960–1961 academic year, McMurtry was a Wallace Stegner Fellow at the Stanford University Creative Writing Center, where he studied the craft of fiction under Frank O'Connor and Malcolm Cowley, alongside other aspiring writers, including Wendell Berry, Ken Kesey, Peter S. Beagle, and Gurney Norman.

In 1963, McMurtry returned to Rice University, where he served as a lecturer in English until 1969.   He was known for entertaining some of his early students with accounts of Hollywood and the filming of Hud, for which he was consulting.

In 1964, McMurtry was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship.

McMurtry won numerous awards from the Texas Institute of Letters: three times the Jesse H. Jones Award — in 1962, for Horseman, Pass By; in 1967, for The Last Picture Show, which he shared with Tom Pendleton's The Iron Orchard; and in 1986, for Lonesome Dove. He won the Amon G. Carter award for periodical prose in 1966 for Texas: Good Times Gone or Here Again? and the Lon Tinkle Award for Lifetime Achievement in 1984.  In 1986, McMurtry received the annual Peggy V. Helmerich Distinguished Author Award from the Tulsa Library Trust.

He was a vigorous defender of free speech, and while serving as president of PEN from 1989 to 1991, courageously led the organization's efforts to support the writer Salman Rushdie, whose novel The Satanic Verses (1988) caused a major controversy among some Muslims, with the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, issuing a fatwā calling for Rushdie's assassination, after which attempts were made on his life.

In 1989, McMurtry testified on behalf of PEN America before the U.S. Congress in opposition to immigration rules in the 1952 McCarran–Walter Act that for decades permitted the visa denial and deportation of foreign writers for ideological reasons.  He recounted how before American PEN was to host the 1986 International PEN Congress, "there was a serious question as to whether such a meeting could in fact take place in this country... the McCarran-Walter Act could have effectively prevented such a gathering in the United States." He denounced the relevant rules as "an affront to all who cherish the constitutional guarantees of freedom of expression and association. To a writer whose living depends upon the uninhibited interchange of ideas and experiences, these provisions are especially appalling." Subsequently, some provisions that excluded certain classes of immigrants based on their political beliefs were revoked by the Immigration Act of 1990.

McMurtry became well known for the film adaptations of his work, which were seen by many viewers, especially Hud (from the novel Horseman, Pass By), starring Paul Newman and Patricia Neal; the Peter Bogdanovich–directed The Last Picture Show; James L. Brooks's Terms of Endearment, which won five Academy Awards, including Best Picture (1984); and Lonesome Dove, which became a popular television miniseries starring Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall.

In 2006, he was co-winner (with Diana Ossana) of both the Best Screenplay Golden Globe and the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain, adapted from a short story by E. Annie Proulx. He accepted his Oscar while wearing a dinner jacket over jeans and cowboy boots. In his speech, he promoted books, reminding the audience the movie was developed from a short story. In his Golden Globe acceptance speech, he paid tribute to his Swiss-made Hermes 3000 typewriter.

Larry McMurtry has written 9 stand-alone novels, a trilogy, 4 different series, numerous non-fiction writings, 9 different movies, and 13 different TV projects.

McMurtry died on March 25, 2021, at his home in Archer City, Texas. He was 84 years old.

All information for this issue of TDS was taken from the Wikipedia page for Larry McMurtry.  You can see more information and lists of all of his works and awards there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_McMurtry

The Larry McMurtry Thread on the Forum

In honor of Larry McMurtry, we have reopened the Larry McMurtry thread we have here on the forum.

If you've read any of his books, or seen any of the movies/TV shows that he's worked on or been based on his works,  please feel free to comment.

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=12918.0

"Meet The Creators"

In 2006, we were fortunate to have Larry McMurtry take part in our "Meet The Creators" profile series, long before I was involved with TDS.  You can see that profile at the link below.

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=15058.msg523318#msg523318

Some memorable quotes from Larry McMurtry

If you wait, all that happens is that you get older.

Backward is just not a natural direction for Americans to look - historical ignorance remains a national characteristic.

Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas without eating a chicken fried steak.

A woman's love is like the morning dew. It's just as likely to settle on a horse turd as a rose.

Writing is a form of herding. I herd words into little paragraph-like clusters.

You expect far too much of a first sentence. Think of it as analagous to a good country breakfast: what we want is something simple, but nourishing to the imagination. Hold the philosophy, hold the adjectives, just give us a plain subject and verb and perhaps a wholesome, nonfattening adverb or two.

Obviously, where art has it over life is in the matter of editing. Life can be seen to suffer from a drastic lack of editing. It stops too quick, or else it goes on too long. Worse, its pacing is erratic. Some chapters are little more than a few sentences in length, while others stretch into volumes. Life, for all its raw talent, has little sense of structure. It creates amazing textures, but it can't be counted on for snappy beginnings or good endings either. Indeed, in many cases no ending is provided at all.

For the past several centuries the bonding power of the family dinner table has been one of the few constants, and now it's binding no more. The potency of the media is now stronger than that of the family. The wonder is that families still exist at all, since the forces of modern life mainly all pull people away from a family centered way of life.

It's a fine world, though rich in hardships at times.

People would be bored shitless if they had to love only the good in someone they care about.

Nothing good ever comes without a price.

I'm glad I've been wrong enough to keep in practice. . . You can't avoid it, you've got to learn to handle it. If you only come face to face with your own mistakes once or twice in your life it's bound to be extra painful. I face mine every day--that way they ain't usually much worse than a dry shave.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back.

If you want one thing too much it’s likely to be a disappointment. The healthy way is to learn to like the everyday things, like soft beds and buttermilk—and feisty gentlemen.

A bookman’s love of books is a love of books, not merely of the information in them.

Incompetents invariably make trouble for people other than themselves.

The earth is mostly just a boneyard. But pretty in the sunlight.

Mystery is underrated, and understanding is overrated.

There isn't a thought in my head I care to be alone with for more than five minutes.

The lives of happy people are dense with their own doings -- crowded, active, thick. But the sorrowing are nomads, on a plain with few landmarks and no boundaries; sorrow's horizons are vague and its demands are few.

Today's edition by CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives