The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 46  (Read 54996 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Diner - Volume 46
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »
That is nice. I'm hoping to get a hybrid as my next car, I think it does the same.

I am undecided about a new car. I like my 2009 Ford Fiesta and it is very economical. However a new Ford Fiesta is much more expensive than similar size cars, not sure why. I am thinking about an e-car or a hybrid. However I put my money that I would use into a  6 month term deposit last month so have put off any decision until August.

Hybrids are definitely becoming more common here in the US.   I think that's a great thing.

The Santa Fe I got is not a hybrid, but that was not my main concern, size was.  I live alone and was considering a smaller car, however, given my parents' ages, I thought  I may be called on to drive them around from time to time, so I opted for a larger vehicle than what I had last, so that they could be comfortable in the back see.

It was a smart buy.  Mom doesn't drive (never got a license) and dad now dislikes driving at night and in bad weather, so there have been a few times that I've driven my parents around.  That alone made it worth it for me to have the bigger vehicle.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
And this is not good all the way around. I know here, that psychologically, people don't have a whole lot of hope, when not seeing an end in sight. I know for me, receiving even the first shot, has given me a lot more hope about there being a light at the end of the tunnel. When you don't have this, it is hard to take psychologically.

Hello Auntie!

I was talking to a friend who has had her first shot as well, and she said the exact same thing.   She has always been a very social person, and is missing having events in her backyard.  She is anxiously waiting for the day that the majority of her friends can say they have all had the two shots, and then she can hold an outdoor event.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2021, 02:24:56 PM »
Other countries seem to have a better set up than the US for electric cars.   I know we have charging stations here, but I don't know how numerous they are.

I see them in a number of places. I expect that if one were to buy an electric vehicle, there would be some sort of an app to find the nearest charging station in the direction you're heading. I noticed that AAA provides charging of electric vehicles as well as fuel, presumably enough to get to the next charging station.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
It should be nice having a front yard event at Louise's after Easter.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »
I sometimes have a peanut butter sandwich because I do not have anything else, no slices of meat and not willing to open a can of chicken or salmon. But I would never call it delicious, it is just better than nothing. I buy a 300 gram jar perhaps once a year.

I buy energy logs to feed the wild birds and bought a pack yesterday. They come in either peanut butter or berry flavour.  I chose berry flavour and am sure the birds would like that more. ;D

I would assume that birds would rather eat the berry, as it is what they are used to.  It's not like a bird is going to have a jar of peanut butter at their nest.  :laugh:

While I wouldn't describe peanut butter as delicious, I do really enjoy it, and have it in my cabinet frequently.

My friend Tina told me that when she and her sisters were children, her older sister would would ask her mother for a peanut butter sandwich, and then she would take it, break it into little bits, and then toss them around the backyard to feed the squirrels.

Well, after about two weeks or so, a letter was anonymously left in all the mailboxes of the houses in that neighborhood.   Apparently, there was a large number of dead squirrels being found on various properties, with peanut butter smeared on their mouths.   Apparently the squirrels were gobbling down the sandwich bits, and the peanut butter was clogging their throats, and they couldn't breathe, and they'd suffocate.

Tina told me her mother stopped giving Tina's sister sandwiches, and made up some excuse why.  She didn't tell them the real reason until they were adults.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2021, 02:30:16 PM »
Too bad that the other Diners may have to look back now at the last pages of the previous edition, in order to follow our highly fascinating discussion about violence, rebellion and necessity of change. I hope they'll join it!

It's an interesting conversation, and I hope it carries on.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »
Other countries seem to have a better set up than the US for electric cars.   I know we have charging stations here, but I don't know how numerous they are.
I guess fuel prices are one reason for this
The average price of gasoline here now  is 1.92 New Zealand Dollar per litre or US$5.92 per gallon

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 02:44:13 PM »
I would assume that birds would rather eat the berry, as it is what they are used to.  It's not like a bird is going to have a jar of peanut butter at their nest.  :laugh:

While I wouldn't describe peanut butter as delicious, I do really enjoy it, and have it in my cabinet frequently.

Sorry about the dead squirrels.

I think peanut butter makes a delicious toasted breakfast sandwich, I have one every morning.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 02:44:46 PM »
Hi, Linda.
Jack's from Texas.

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 02:48:03 PM »
Fritz, I've been learning a new variation on one of the games in the Lunar New Year Zodiac Animals badge series.

The game is Canasta, which I do find relaxing, but the twist is that you have to win a number of four-player games.  At first, I thought that meant you had 3 robot opponents in a game and had to beat all of them, in order to win.  But actually, the game makes Team A and Team B, so that you and your robot partner have to beat two other robots.  This makes it a quick game, and I've won several times already this afternoon.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »
It's an interesting conversation, and I hope it carries on.

Peter Norman who came 2nd in the race was told about it in advance and wore a human rights badge in solidarity.
He was not selected for the Munich Olympics and there is still argument as to whether it was due to his 'lack of' performance in the run up or prejudice against him .

Online dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »
See you after church, Fritz.  You're probably leaving soon.

Hi, Linda (if I didn't already say that).
Jack's from Texas.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 02:49:49 PM »
Back when I was working I'd have a peanut butter sandwich, a glass of orange juice and a banana every morning. I'd have a cup of coffee after I got to work. Now I don't have any PB on a regular basis as then, but will still occasionally make one on cinnamon bread, or waffles. I will have coffee if offered when out or at someone's house, but I've completely gotten out of the habit of drinking it. My main source of caffeine in the morning is a Dr Pepper!

So, when I leave for church in about 20 minutes, I'll turn the light on because it will be dark when I get home after church and getting some gas. But next week I won't have to!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »
I guess fuel prices are one reason for this
The average price of gasoline here now  is 1.92 New Zealand Dollar per litre or US$5.92 per gallon

I assume that the price has been rising since before the beginning of the year?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2021, 02:51:47 PM »
Fritz, I've been learning a new variation on one of the games in the Lunar New Year Zodiac Animals badge series.

The game is Canasta, which I do find relaxing, but the twist is that you have to win a number of four-player games.  At first, I thought that meant you had 3 robot opponents in a game and had to beat all of them, in order to win.  But actually, the game makes Team A and Team B, so that you and your robot partner have to beat two other robots.  This makes it a quick game, and I've won several times already this afternoon.

Great! Never did get the hang of Canasta.