The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Volume 46  (Read 58758 times)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Volume 46
« Reply #8175 on: May 04, 2021, 12:58:29 AM »
My parents were never meant to be wealthy.  :(

Nor were mine.

All my grandfather got was a few items of furniture and household goods when he married my grandmother and which my great-grandmother demanded back. The family story was that he ran away to sea when he was a child to get away from my great-grandmother regularly taking to the children with a cat of nine tails.

I learnt recently that my great-grandfather met my great-grandmother (at church I wonder) when she came out from Ireland and worked as governess for another local family. Presumably the kids in that family escaped her 'Spare the rod and spoil the child' policy.

I have a photo of my great-grandmother which I think was made as a carte de visite in London when they visited Britain and I always thought she looked like a witch, especially with the long nose that my grandfather and mother inherited, though Mum didn't look like a witch. Mum could touch the tip of her nose with her tongue.  My great-grandfather was mayor of what became the inner Melbourne of suburb of Brunswick for a year. I can't remember where I more recently saw a photo of my great-grandmother in a vast, luxurious looking crinoline that might have been when she was the mayoress.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:28:52 AM by tfferg »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #8176 on: May 04, 2021, 02:03:03 AM »

Good morning!

Stormy, grey and very unpleasant here. None of it could be called 'May'.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8177 on: May 04, 2021, 02:05:47 AM »
Thanks, Ingy.
It's a little better now, so I'll fix dinner.

I'm glad to hear.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8178 on: May 04, 2021, 02:06:05 AM »
Good night to you, when you leave.

Likewise.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8179 on: May 04, 2021, 02:06:40 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that, Ingy

Thanks, Tony.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8180 on: May 04, 2021, 02:07:47 AM »
Nighty Ingsweets ❤️❤️❤️
I hope you sleep well and so sorry to hear about your disturbing and disappointing news.

Thank you sweet Lindafriend.

:-* :-* :-*

A relaxing night for you too.
WISE UP

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #8181 on: May 04, 2021, 04:09:21 AM »
I have a photo of my great-grandmother which I think was made as a carte de visite in London when they visited Britain and I always thought she looked like a witch, especially with the long nose that my grandfather and mother inherited, though Mum didn't look like a witch. Mum could touch the tip of her nose with her tongue.  My great-grandfather was mayor of what became the inner Melbourne of suburb of Brunswick for a year. I can't remember where I more recently saw a photo of my great-grandmother in a vast, luxurious looking crinoline that might have been when she was the mayoress.
I have no information about any great grandmothers.

Both my grandmothers died before I was born. One when my mother was only 7 and the other a year or two before I was born. I have seen photos of them both, I think my sister has them.  My sister does remember my maternal grandmother.

My maternal grandfather was born out of wedlock so I am not sure if the man who is listed as the father on the marriage certificate and whose surname he later bore, was his real father or not. No father is shown on the birth certificate and my grandfather is not listed among the children in that man's death notice. That grandfather died when I was 4 although he was 92, my mother was by far the youngest of the family.
I do remember my paternal grandfather as he died when I was 14 or 15.

It amazes me when I meet men who can talk about their great grandchildren. Of course many of my friends talk about their grandchildren, a topic to  which I cannot relate.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #8182 on: May 04, 2021, 05:39:02 AM »
Good morning Diners!

*waves*

Another day of dealing with the monster.   It was subdued easily yesterday, I hope today is the same.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8183 on: May 04, 2021, 05:59:36 AM »

*waves to Chuckster*

Good luck!
WISE UP

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8184 on: May 04, 2021, 06:04:44 AM »
Good morning, Chuck, and good luck with the Monster.

Hi, Ingy.

I may not be around much today until evening, SYL.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8185 on: May 04, 2021, 06:31:34 AM »

Hi, Deb.
WISE UP

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #8186 on: May 04, 2021, 06:38:48 AM »
Hi Ingy. The sun is out atm, but I’m still c-c c-o-l-d...

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #8187 on: May 04, 2021, 07:31:42 AM »

It amazes me when I meet men who can talk about their great grandchildren. Of course many of my friends talk about their grandchildren, a topic to  which I cannot relate.

I can understand the happiness men find with their grandchildren, though I don't regret not having any. I do wonder about the potential child my fiancee aborted in 1982 after months of talking about plans for us to have a family. I also wonder if that child might have inherited my deafness.

Phong really dotes on his little nephews and grandnephews and nieces in Thailand and friends' children and grandchildren.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #8188 on: May 04, 2021, 08:05:19 AM »
I have been hiking. There were 26 of us. I was probably the oldest. Some in our group are in their 80's but they avoided today.

We parked at the Bullring which is at 500 metres. It is not that far from my home but along a gravel road. It is quite a slog, a long steady climb to the top of Flagstaff Hill at 668 metres. Great views over the city but  cold wind. We had coffee sheltered by bushes.

https://images.app.goo.gl/M6jHMYtYoSfdStKY6

View looking inland

https://images.app.goo.gl/45UKk8CyuACpqQeEA

Then down to a picnic shelter at 550 metres for lunch and back a different way but just up and over 640 metres back to the cars.  Probably about 12 km in total.

Wow, beautiful!

Hey y'all, sunny warm and humid today, it had rained and the paper cover was damp. Louise asked me to pull some Virginia creeper vines that were growing on the fence so that they wouldn't top it and get into her yard, which I did. There were some other vines that I couldn't identify, but they weren't poison ivy.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #8189 on: May 04, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
Hey Debbie, good luck!

Hey Sara!

Hey Chuck! Whup it!

Moin moin Ingleinchen!