The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet April - June 2021  (Read 4096 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
The Daily Sheet April - June 2021
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »

Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Annie Proulx Interviewed by Margaret Throsby

Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author.

Writing mostly as Annie Proulx, she has written non-fiction, published a number of short story collections and is the author of five novels. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for Fiction in 1994 and was made into a film in 2001. Her short story Brokeback Mountain was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. She won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction for her first novel, Postcards.

Of her writing career, Proulx told London Observer contributor Nicci Gerrard: "I came to writing late, and I'm racing against the clock to get everything down. My head is jammed with stories; they are pushing to get out."

Annie Proulx was Margaret Throsby’s guest in March 2011 when she was in Australia talking about her latest book Bird Cloud: A Memoir.

Annie Proulx Interviewed by Margaret Throsby

Student Watches Brokeback Mountain, and Decides to Come Out

Rowing is a painful and grueling sport and I’ve been through countless injuries and setbacks. However, it was nothing compared to my mental struggle during the process of figuring out my sexuality.

Most athletes find themselves getting lost in the love of their sport, becoming consumed with trying to be the best they can possibly be and using athletics as an outlet to cope with the stress of everyday life. That is exactly what got me addicted to sports and eventually rowing.

I figured out I was gay when I was about 11 or 12 years old growing up in Albany, N.Y. The thought of not being like the rest of my friends and teammates terrified me. As an athlete, I’m extremely competitive and will do whatever it takes to get faster and be better, on and off the water. This was the first time that I couldn’t change the outcome of the something I didn’t like about myself, and I had no idea how to cope with that.

When I started rowing in seventh grade, I was looking for a new outlet to try and distract myself and not think about the possibility of being gay. A coach recruited me saying I had potential to be a promising lightweight rower. I tried it out, fell in love with it and quit the other sports I was playing to focus all of my energy on rowing.

Fast-forward to freshman year of high school. I was still closeted, but my boat was performing extremely well. We were undefeated in the fall season, trained extremely hard during winter and were ready to take on the spring season with the New York State Rowing Championship in our sights. That day turned out to be one of the hardest days of my life.

Student Watches Brokeback Mountain, and Decides to Come Out

“Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians”

Where there was absence, Joan E. Biren saw potential.

As a lesbian and photographer in the early 1970s, Biren, who goes by JEB, said she was dismayed at the dearth of images that truly reflected her life and the lives of so many in the lesbian community.

So, around 1970, she borrowed a camera from a friend and simply held it out at arm’s length as she and her lover at the time kissed. While the image wouldn’t look out of place today, it was a radical act at the time. JEB, who is 76 years old, declared it her “first lesbian photograph.”  It was that self-portrait that would launch her on a photographic odyssey to visually document the lesbian community. The yearslong endeavor culminated in her self-publishing a book of photographs, “Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians,” in 1979.

Now, the book has been reissued by Anthology Editions for the first time since its initial release.

“Eye to Eye” had a profound impact for its time.

“Seeing the photos was a revelation, each one,” said Mary Farmer, who ran the feminist bookstore Lammas Women’s Shop in Washington, D.C. “Seeing them all together, it was a beautiful thing. It was a revolutionary step for her to put herself out there like that.”

“Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians”

Outed As Bisexual on TV

Married at First Sight Australia fans have expressed their alarm and “disgust” at star Liam Cooper being outed as bisexual during Monday night’s (15 March) episode.

The show sees total strangers get hitched after relationships experts pair them together.

And on the 29-year-old’s wedding day, where he was set to marry Georgia Fairweather, Cooper was outed by fellow show participant Rebecca Zemek, the Daily Mail Australia reported.

The prison case officer, based in Brisbane, Queensland, was robbed of the chance to come out to his bride-to-be as the season eight newlyweds introduced themselves to the original cast.

Viewers of the Nine Network reality show responded with anger over the show’s handling of its first openly bisexual groom, with some fans wondering why the cast  “laughed” at Cooper’s sexuality.

Rebecca Zemek grilled the pair about what their “non-negotiables” would be, with Georgia Fairweather explaining: “I would really struggle if you were super judgmental and close-minded, that would be hard for me cause I’m totally the opposite.”

Outed As Bisexual on TV

Pentagon Reversing Trump's Transgender Policies

The Pentagon on Wednesday swept away Trump-era policies that largely banned transgender people from serving in the military, issuing new rules that offer them wider access to medical care and assistance with gender transition.  The new department regulations allow transgender people who meet military standards to enlist and serve openly in their self-identified gender, and they will be able to get medically necessary transition-related care authorized by law, chief Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters during a briefing.

The changes come after a two-month Pentagon review aimed at developing guidelines for the new policy, which was announced by President Joe Biden just days after he took office in January.

Biden's executive order overturned the Trump policy and immediately prohibited any service member from being forced out of the military on the basis of gender identity. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin then gave the Pentagon two months to finalize the more detailed regulations that the military services will follow.

The new rules also prohibit discrimination based on gender identity. Their release Wednesday coincides with International Transgender Day of Visibility, and they will take effect in 30 days. Kirby said that will give the military services the time they need to update their policies and provide guidance to commanders.

“The United States military is the greatest fighting force on the planet because we are composed of an all-volunteer team willing to step up and defend the rights and freedoms of all Americans,” Austin said in a statement Wednesday. “We will remain the best and most capable team because we avail ourselves of the best possible talent that America has to offer, regardless of gender identity.”

Pentagon Reversing Trump's Transgender Policies

Demi Lovato Comes Out As Pansexual

Demi Lovato appeared on Joe Rogan's podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, and pledged her allegiance to the "alphabet mafia."

The two discussed Lovato's childhood as a singer and performer and her future plans to raise children of her own. Lovato told him at the moment she thinks she might adopt, but clarified, "I was engaged to a man last year. I totally thought I'd be married, maybe pregnant by now. And that's not the case."   "I also don't know if I'm gonna end up with a guy, so I can't see myself maybe even getting pregnant," she went on. "I'm so fluid now, and a part of the reason why I am so fluid is because I was super closeted off."

Rogan clarified by asking if she identified as pansexual, and she responded in the affirmative, after previously coming out as bisexual in 2017.

The terminology LGBTQ people use varies from person to person and is typically objective and based on what the individual is most comfortable with, although some say the terms are indicative of gender distinctions that apply when it comes to attraction, with some believing pansexuality holding more "space for gender presentation and identities to be more fluid."

Fluid, as mentioned above, is exactly what Lovato says she feels right now.

"I heard someone call the LGBTQIA+ community the alphabet mafia," she told the comedian. "That's it! That's what I'm going with. I'm part of the alphabet mafia and proud."  The two joked about the many letters of the LGBTQIA+ alphabet, with Lovato laughing, "Why can't we just say 'queer,' y'all?" (Fortunately, we can!)

Demi Lovato Comes Out As Pansexual

LGBTQ Ally Uses Anti-Gay Insults

I have no interest in exploring the genesis of Kevin Durant’s juvenile Twitter feud with annoying actor and comedian Michael Rapaport. Apparently, Rapaport ripped Durant after a TV interview, leading to a months-long insult fest between the two over direct message, which Rapaport leaked this week.

It’s all exhausting, and tempting to just ignore as another fleeting pseudo-controversy — like most celebrity Twitter battles.  But this one is hard to sidestep, because of the vile language Durant used. It was misogynist, threatening and homophobic. He can say he was joking, but that’s the problem. As a supposed ally, he should know that.

“Me and mike talk CRAZIER than this on the regular and today he’s pissed,” Durant tweeted. “My bad mike, damn!!”

He offered another apology Thursday: “I’m sorry that people have seen the language I used,” Durant told reporters. “That’s not what I want people to see or hear from me.”

In other words, he’s sorry he got caught.

Durant has been publicly waving the rainbow flag for years: congratulating Jason Collins; expressing support for the NBA marching in New York City’s LGBTQ Pride parade. But what does he say in private when he’s trying to put somebody down?

“All u do is suck cock.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:44:52 AM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
Re: The Daily Sheet April - June 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »

Tuesday, April 13th, 2021

Ang Lee on Good Actors

Ang Lee believes that "good actors" should be prioritised for film roles.

The 66-year-old director helmed the 2005 romantic drama 'Brokeback Mountain', which explored the relationship between male cowboys Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal), and admits that he would not feel duty bound to cast gay actors as the leads if he was making the movie now, despite the clamour for that trend now among the LGBTQ+ community.

Ang said: "I think good actors have to come first."

"Acting is not about who you are. I've cast broadcasters to play broadcasters and when the camera rolls, they don't know what to do."

Ang cites Ledger's performance in the film as a case in point for the importance of acting ability.

He said of the late star: "His character was gay, but also a macho homophobe, and he portrayed that brilliantly."

Lee has embraced futuristic technology with his movies – the Will Smith-led action thriller 'Gemini Man' was shot at 120 frames per second – although it hasn't convinced critics despite the director describing it as "a way of observing differently".

Ang Lee on Good Actors

Use of Gay Slur Investigated by MLS

Major League Soccer said it will investigate the use of an anti-gay slur by LA Galaxy and United States men's national team player Sebastian Lletget.

Lletget posted a video on his Instagram account of him using the slur in Spanish while walking with Galaxy teammate Julian Araujo at a practice session. Lletget appeared to jokingly slap Araujo on the neck from behind before using the slur.

Lletget deleted the video shortly afterward. In a statement to OutSports, Lletget said he "messed up" for using the slur.

"I have taken down a video from my Instagram story but want to address its impact and not hide from this. I take full responsibility and ownership on what was an extremely poor and ill-thought phrase and have no excuse for my actions. I am sorry and know the pain that this term has caused for so many.

I want to be part of the solution -- not part of the problem -- and continue to be an advocate and an ally for the LGBTQ+ community. Those who know me know my character and heart. I will remain outspoken in my support and advocacy. My error doesn't change that.  Thanks for your accountability. I need to do and be better."

The Galaxy stated: "The L.A. Galaxy do not condone homophobic or derogatory language of any kind. The club stands with the LGBTQ+ community and will address this matter internally."

Use of Gay Slur Investigated by MLS

The Cubbyhole Reopens

At this time last year, Lisa Menichino was in bed sipping a constant cycle of bourbon and frozen push pops — often mixed for the sulkiest, sweetest drink she could imagine — while fretting over the future of her bar. Today, the phone at Cubbyhole on a picturesque West Village intersection, 281 West 12th Street, won’t stop ringing as regulars are eager to reserve a seat outdoors at the city’s only open lesbian space to reopen.

After Menichino’s month or so of brooding during 2020’s first shutdown in March, messages from guests reminded her of Cubbyhole’s unique status: It’s one of Manhattan’s last two lesbian bars. A place where the queer community could meet partners, grieve, and gather safely. Like many lesbian bar owners struggling to sustain their businesses, she started a GoFundMe to help cover expenses at the shuttered space. Cubbyhole reopened last summer, and closed when the weather cooled down mid-December. Customer-designed T-shirts helped raise additional funds, and even as the taps were closed and the gate was locked, Menichino felt the community’s excitement for Cubbyhole’s imminent return. In fact, a couple got engaged in front of the closed bar on a frigid February day. Those moments keep Menichino going, despite all the restrictions, including patrons not being allowed to order at the bar, at a lesbian bar. The table-only rules didn’t squelch the enthusiasm of more than 300 people who visited for Cubbyhole’s first night in 2021.

“Lesbians need a place to go,” Menichino says, chugging coffee while ensuring all seats, reservations, and hand sanitizers were ready to go for Cubbyhole’s grand reopening after a months-long hibernation. On Thursday, April 8, regulars, newbies, and tourists eagerly snatched up reservations, selling out the bar on a sunny day ideal for outdoor drinking. The bar is back with minor tweaks and improvements: A new frozen machine offers daiquiris, margaritas, and frose. A wooden outdoor dining setup built by volunteer lesbian carpenters safely seats a dozen socially distant guests, and people can order hot dogs or packaged sandwiches with cocktails, as food orders are required with alcohol sales these days.

The Cubbyhole Reopens

Ronen Rubinstein Comes Out As Bisexual

Ronen Rubinstein was anxious for his family and friends back in his native Staten Island to watch the second episode of “9-1-1: Lone Star.” He told them he was playing Rob Lowe’s gay son on the Fox procedural, but he wasn’t sure what they’d think of the very steamy encounter between his character, T.K. Strand, and his future police officer boyfriend Carlos Reyes, played by openly gay actor Rafael L. Silva.

“Carlos and I have a huge make-out scene where we, like, burst through the door, and we’re ripping our clothes off,” Rubinstein says. “It’s super hot and it just goes on. It just doesn’t stop. We’re, like, crashing against the walls, and then we end up on the couch. I warned my parents and my friends for months. I said, ‘Listen, I understand if you guys don’t want to watch it, I understand you probably might say some really ignorant, close-minded stuff or you just might not want to watch it and I get that too.’”

In the end, it didn’t matter what they thought because T.K. and Carlos were a hit. As soon as clips of the scene were released, fans of the drama series, produced by Ryan Murphy, crowned the couple “Tarlos.”

As much as the series is fiction, there was something very real happening for Rubinstein. The 27-year-old actor found himself coming to terms with and accepting feelings that he had suppressed for as long as he can remember.

“I fully identify as bisexual,” Rubinstein says in an exclusive interview over Zoom from his Los Angeles area home. “I literally just got goosebumps saying that. It feels so good to talk about it; it feels so good to finally be comfortable with it.”

Ronen Rubinstein Comes Out As Bisexual

Transgender Students As Political Pawns

Heather Hughes, a music and math teacher at a private school in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, said a 16-year-old student pulled out her phone Monday afternoon and announced that Gov. Asa Hutchinson had vetoed a bill that would have banned transgender minors from accessing gender-affirming medical care.

Hughes said it shows that young people understand the national conversation about trans youth, who are the focus of a wave of state bills that seek to restrict their access to transition-related medical care and sports.

“They get that something’s up, and they understand enough to be like, ‘This is a bad idea,’” Hughes said of her students. “They think it's asinine. They don't understand why it's a big deal in the first place, like why bother making these bills, and so then anytime it's brought up, they're mostly infuriated.”

Another student, who is 15, talked to Hughes last week about how they wanted to start testosterone soon. But on Tuesday, the Arkansas Legislature overrode Hutchinson’s veto, and the state is now poised to become the first to ban gender-affirming care for trans minors.

The law bans insurance plans from covering or reimbursing the cost of transition-related care for minors, including puberty blockers and hormones. After it takes effect this summer, Hughes' student won't be able to use testosterone unless they pay out of pocket, which Hughes said is "not that likely given their situation."

Transgender Students As Political Pawns

JoJo Siwa Opens Up Even More

JoJo Siwa went public with being a member of the LGBTQ+ community in January and now she's opening up even more.

In a cover story with People, the 17-year-old social media star who sells out arenas said she initially didn't want to "label" herself but was happily in a relationship with girlfriend Kylie Prew, 18, and was out to family and friends.

"I still don't know what I am. It's like, I want to figure it out. And I have this joke. Her name is Kylie. And so I say that I'm Ky-sexual," Siwa said. "But like, I don't know, bisexual, pansexual, queer, lesbian, gay, straight."

"I always just say gay because it just kind of covers it or queer because I think the keyword is cool," she added.

Siwa further explained how she identifies.

"I like queer," she said. "Technically I would say that I am pansexual because that's how I have always been my whole life is just like, my human is my human."

JoJo Siwa Opens Up Even More

I have no interest in exploring the genesis of Kevin Durant’s juvenile Twitter feud with annoying actor and comedian Michael Rapaport. Apparently, Rapaport ripped Durant after a TV interview, leading to a months-long insult fest between the two over direct message, which Rapaport leaked this week.

It’s all exhausting, and tempting to just ignore as another fleeting pseudo-controversy — like most celebrity Twitter battles.  But this one is hard to sidestep, because of the vile language Durant used. It was misogynist, threatening and homophobic. He can say he was joking, but that’s the problem. As a supposed ally, he should know that.

“Me and mike talk CRAZIER than this on the regular and today he’s pissed,” Durant tweeted. “My bad mike, damn!!”

He offered another apology Thursday: “I’m sorry that people have seen the language I used,” Durant told reporters. “That’s not what I want people to see or hear from me.”

In other words, he’s sorry he got caught.

Durant has been publicly waving the rainbow flag for years: congratulating Jason Collins; expressing support for the NBA marching in New York City’s LGBTQ Pride parade. But what does he say in private when he’s trying to put somebody down?

“All u do is suck cock.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 02:56:28 PM »

Tuesday, April 20th, 2021

Ang Lee on Good Actors

Ang Lee believes that "good actors" should be prioritised for film roles.

The 66-year-old director helmed the 2005 romantic drama 'Brokeback Mountain', which explored the relationship between male cowboys Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal), and admits that he would not feel duty bound to cast gay actors as the leads if he was making the movie now, despite the clamour for that trend now among the LGBTQ+ community.

Ang said: "I think good actors have to come first."

"Acting is not about who you are. I've cast broadcasters to play broadcasters and when the camera rolls, they don't know what to do."

Ang cites Ledger's performance in the film as a case in point for the importance of acting ability.

He said of the late star: "His character was gay, but also a macho homophobe, and he portrayed that brilliantly."

Lee has embraced futuristic technology with his movies – the Will Smith-led action thriller 'Gemini Man' was shot at 120 frames per second – although it hasn't convinced critics despite the director describing it as "a way of observing differently".

Ang Lee on Good Actors

The Blood Ban

“Interested in donating blood?” This startling question presented itself as a storm of Red Cross pamphlets filled my high school’s library. I took one of the many leaflets and suddenly came to the realization that I had never donated blood before—I didn’t even know my own blood type! As a young and healthy teenager, I decided it was finally time to get my blood drawn; I had friends who donated every year, yet it never occurred to me that I could and should donate. So, I convinced a few of my friends to donate with me; we were to make an outing out of our donation. However, after some quick screening and routine paperwork at the in-school clinic, I was told I was ineligible to donate blood.

Terrified, my mind immediately concluded I had some blood illness I was not previously aware of. Nope. A Red Cross volunteer swiftly squashed my fear and informed me that I had been deferred due to my recent sexual relation with another man.

I was incredulous. Immensely confused, I promptly Googled, “Why can’t gay men donate blood?” while my heterosexual friends proceeded through the blood donation clinic without me. What I found shocked my 17-year-old self.

The FDA restrictions surrounding blood donations by men who have sex with men (MSM) originated in 1983. The ban was enacted in an effort to prevent blood bank contamination from undetectable HIV-infected blood. Although the measure was rather strident, the hysteria and lack of scientific knowledge in the early 1980s rationalized this exclusivist emergency measure. But despite the approval of new methods for screening blood in the late ’80s—namely the ELISA assay and its subsequent and substantial improvements—which ensure a near-perfect HIV detection rate, the FDA’s stance on MSM blood donations has not significantly wavered. 

The Blood Ban

Netflix Thriller "Ride Or Die"

How far would you go to protect your one true love? That is the question at the heart of Japanese director Ryuichi Hiroki’s new psychological thriller, “Ride or Die,” which premiered on Netflix on Thursday.

Based on Ching Nakamura’s popular graphic novel series, or manga, “Gunjō,” the film tells the stirring story of Rei Nagasawa (Kiko Mizuhara) and Nanae Shinoda (Honami Sato), two Japanese women who struggle with their conflicting feelings for each other.

When Rei, a lesbian in her 20s, receives an unexpected call from Nanae, the girl she was in love with during high school, she drops everything to go see her for the first time in a decade. But when she discovers that Nanae is trapped in a physically abusive marriage, Rei decides to take matters into her own hands. Without giving her actions a second thought, Rei seduces and kills Nanae’s husband in an attempt to protect her and to prove her love, which sets off a meandering series of events that bring the two women closer than ever before.

Since “Gunjō” started to circulate in 2007, numerous filmmakers have attempted to adapt the manga for the big screen, but most of them have struggled to capture the intense visual language of Nakamura’s original work, which spans 35 chapters and includes some very graphic depictions of sex and violence. The new adaptation eventually came to fruition under the direction of Hiroki, who is known for his intense and painful romance films, and was written by Nami Kikkawa.

Netflix Thriller "Ride Or Die"

Coming Out To Her Class

Anna Dietrich, an Michigan State University student teacher at Carman-Ainsworth High School, took to Twitter to describe how some educators feel the need to hide who they are at work.

And there’s a reason for that, Dietrich decried. After she came out as bisexual on Tuesday (13 April), three parents called her to say they were “unhappy” about it.  “I envy the teachers who don’t have to hide their identity in class,” she wrote.

“When students asked me today if I had a husband, I answered that I, as a bisexual person, do not have a husband or a wife yet!  I got calls from three parents unhappy,” they said, before adding: “If anyone has any similar struggles/reactions to being out and proud to students I would love to hear."

“Really hurting today and feeling alone in this.”

Then Dietrich got an email.

“I really love your class,” a student wrote to her.  “In my other classes, I am not comfortable sharing my sexuality or pronouns and it really gets to me when people use my pronoun wrong and try to say my sexuality without even knowing it.  In your class, I already feel comfortable with who I am, which for me, isn’t normal, so thank you, so, so, so much.”

Coming Out To Her Class

Legislation Would Affect Minors

Thirty-three states have introduced more than 100 bills that aim to curb the rights of transgender people across the country, with advocacy groups calling 2021 a record-breaking year for such legislation.  Many of these bills are rapidly making their way through state legislatures. On April 6, Arkansas became the first state to outlaw providing gender-affirming treatment to minors, a move that the American Civil Liberties Union said would "send a terrible and heartbreaking message" to transgender youth across the country.

According to data from the Human Rights Campaign, one of the nation's largest LGBTQ advocacy groups, at least 117 bills have been introduced in the current legislative session that target the transgender community. It's the highest number the organization has recorded since it began tracking anti-LGBTQ legislation more than 15 years ago.

The majority of bills would affect transgender youth, a group that researchers and medical professionals warn is already susceptible to high rates of suicide and depression.  

In many states, lawmakers introducing these bills are supported by conservative legal groups, such as the Alliance Defending Freedom, which reportedly helped craft the Idaho law that was later struck down in court, according to the Idaho Press. The group released a statement praising Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson. The Arkansas bill, named the "Fairness in Women's Sports Act," would prevent transgender girls and women from participating in school, intramural or club sports with their same-gender peers.

Lawmakers have said these bills are intended to be proactive, and to remove what they claim is an unfair advantage that transgender girls may have over their teammates. But such examples are extremely rare. In March, The Associated Press called two dozen state legislators who sponsored these bans, and found that few could name any cases where the participation of transgender athletes in youth sports had become a source of contention within the teams. 

Legislation Would Affect Minors

Upending Hemingway's Macho Image

Three things freed me from the ultra-masculine theatrics I learned from Ernest Hemingway as a young man. Ironically, all three were his own books: the short story collection "In Our Time," the sweeping war drama "A Farewell to Arms," and the gender-bending "The Garden of Eden." Each represented disparate periods of the author's life, and in their heterogeneous ways, each guided me out from the thorny thicket of machismo that Hemingway had helped lead me into.

A few days after my father's funeral I came across the copy of "In Our Time" that I'd given him for his birthday a mere two months before he killed himself. A veteran and lifelong outdoorsman, Hemingway had been dad's favorite writer.

I was flipping through the collection of stories when I came across an underlined passage in "Indian Camp":

"Why did he kill himself, Daddy?"  "I don't know, Nick. He couldn't stand things, I guess."   "Do many men kill themselves, Daddy?"   "Not very many, Nick."

Something heavy moved in me. Here was my own name cast in a discussion of suicide. Why had dad underlined these words in particular, so soon before taking the Hemingway exit himself? Was it some sort of message? Were they his terrible inspiration?

Two months later I went or fled to Paris where I claimed to be studying literature but where I primarily studied dark bars and back alleys and the rough characters who hung around the canals at night. At that point in time, I — like so many other young men — was very caught up in the business of being tough, and Ernest Hemingway stood as the grand archetype of that posture. At my father's suggestion I had devoured "The Sun Also Rises," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," and "A Moveable Feast," and now I was immersing myself in the hard drinking, dangerous life of the aspiring artist abroad, playing into the pantomime of Hemingway that enthralls so many students of interwar literature.

Upending Hemingway's Macho Image

Students Support LGBTQ Classmates

Students rallied for their LGBTQ classmates at Ridgeline High School in Cache County after video surfaced online of another teen cutting down a pride flag during a diversity week event.

Several who spoke with KSL-TV said they were calling for positive change to come out of the incident.

It shocked and frightened students who attended the after-school event for the Gay-Straight Alliance.

"Oh, I'm terrified. I wasn't allowed to go to school today," said freshman Spencer Wilkinson.

Wilkinson said what she found at school Wednesday afternoon, however, changed that terror to encouragement as she was met with quite the opposite – a rally for support outside her school.

"I was so surprised," she said. "I think it's important that, not only here – we recognize the homophobia that's happened – but everywhere, because it's so active and it's happening."

Susie Augenstein, an ally for the LGBTQ community, said she was hoping for the same thing.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »

Tuesday, April 27th, 2021

A Teacher Season 2

Last year, FX released many series that are available on its sister streaming service Hulu. FX's last year releases include 'A Teacher' created by Hannah Fidell. The series 'A Teacher' is based on the creator's 2013 film of the same name starring Lindsay Burdge and Will Brittain. The series 'A Teacher' was dropped on November 10, 2020.

While some viewers think Claire and Eric's story has reached its natural conclusion, some fans are still wondering if there will be A Teacher Season 2. To their disappointment, Kate Mara who played the character of the high school English teacher Claire Wilson in Season 1 recently told The Wrap that there won't be a A Teacher Season 2.

"I have heard a lot of people who love the show ask that question, 'When is [A Teacher]Season 2?' It makes me laugh just because, no, to be honest, there hasn't been and there was never really any discussion about more seasons," said Kate Mara.

She also said, "I wish we were doing three more seasons of it, but I don't know how we would continue unless there was no time passing at all, because we're both playing sort of older than we are [at the end]."

A Teacher is all about the 37-year-old Claire Wilson, a married English teacher at Westerbrook high school in Austin, Texas. She grooms and manipulates one of her high school students, a 17-year-old Eric Walker (played as Nick Robinson), and engages in an illicit sexual relationship with him. The miniseries explores the complexities of the relationship and the consequences for both of them and those around them.  While the show has concluded, Kate Mara wished there were A Teacher Season 2 and more seasons.

A Teacher Season 2

Doctor Comments on Gay Blood Ban

There is no reason for the ban on gay men donating blood to exist anymore, given that all blood is tested, emphasized Perry N. Halkitis, PhD, MS, MPH, dean of the Rutgers School of Public Health and director of the Center for Health, Identity, Behavior and Prevention Studies.

The video at the link below is a part of our third entry in a series on individuals and international organizations working to bring local and global awareness to the ongoing HIV/AIDS epidemic, which is marking its 40th anniversary this year.   

Here is a partial transcript of the video.  To see the rest, click the link below.

We need to stop discriminating. I mean, there's no reason whatsoever this ban needs to exist at all. Blood is tested, right? It's tested all the time. So I don't understand why we think that a gay man who has sex is going to be… The probability that he will be infected, I understand from an epidemiological perspective, is higher given the prevalence of the disease in the population—but we test the blood anyway.

I think the damage we're doing by stigmatizing gay men is much worse than the “protections” we're putting in place. So the FDA ban, in my mind, needs to go away. We have the technology to test blood, and quite frankly, I don't know what's in the blood of other people that we're not testing for, right? So why continue to ostracize gay men?

Doctor Comments on Gay Blood Ban

Biden Nominates Fulton to Pentagon Staff

President Joe Biden today announced his intent to nominate New Jersey’s Chief Administrator at the Motor Vehicle Commission to be Assistant Secretary of Defense for Manpower and Reserve Affairs at the Department of Defense.

Brenda “Sue” Fulton, a former Army officer who in 1980 was commissioned in the first U.S. Military Academy class to admit women, was nominated to serve in the top Pentagon post.

Brenda “Sue” Fulton was a guest speaker for the Aug. 19, 2013, Women’s Equality Day observance at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.  In her new job, Fulton will be a principal advisor to the Secretary of Defense and Deputy Secretary of Defense with responsibility for total force manpower, personnel and reserve affairs, including the Army National Guard, Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve.

She will report directly to the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness and exercises authority, direction, and control over the National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve. This position was mandated by the Department of Defense Authorization Act of 1984.

She became the first openly gay member of the academy’s Board of Visitors after her appointment by President Barack Obama in 2011.

Biden Nominates Fulton to Pentagon Staff

Racial Profiling of Bisexual Comic

This week, Eric André said he was racially profiled at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, tweeting that plainclothes police targeted him for a supposedly random drug search. The next day (Thursday, April 22), André appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! for a scheduled interview about his new film Bad Trip. In an 11-minute segment, André went into detail about the profiling incident, describing the conduct of Clayton County Police Department as “old-school, Giuliani stop-and-frisk racial profiling.”

André unpacked the racial dynamic of the search, pointing out that he was flying business class on a domestic flight, and was the only Black person on the jet bridge. The white police officers who interrogated him were from the Clayton County Police Department, André said. Both Kimmel and André noted that it was unusual for a search to be carried out on the jet bridge, when André had already passed security.

André declined to have his luggage searched and was allowed to board his plane, at which point, he joked, he “got really woke” and started tweeting various authorities (up to and including Joe Biden) using the plane Wi-Fi. “And then the mayor of Atlanta starts tweeting back at me,” he added, laughing. “I’m like, Oh, I didn’t know that was gonna work.” The mayor apologized to André and said she was investigating.

Racial Profiling of Bisexual Comic

Another Transgender Woman Murdered

Many were in mourning Saturday upon hearing the news that a beloved drag artist and entertainer in the South Bay was killed in Milpitas a day earlier.  Natalia Smüt, 24, an Afro-Rican trans woman from San José, was known for her “motivating and creative spirit, captivating performances, and her love for advocacy within the community,” according to LGBTQ support and advocacy organization Project More, which hosted a vigil Saturday.

At least 100 people gathered for the vigil at San Jose City Hall, laying candles, flowers and other art or mementos on the steps in honor of Smüt.

Nathan Svoboda, president of the Project More Foundation, who knew Smüt in her various capacities as performer, activist and member of the community, described Smüt as a “captivating” artist and a person who seemed to have a “positive, really bright star.”

Police have not shared many details about Smüt’s death. A report about the homicide published by the Milpitas Police Department said Union City resident Elijah Segura had called police at almost 2:30 a.m. Friday, stating that he was responsible for injuring a 24 year-old San Jose woman.

Police took Segura, 22, into custody, while officers found Smüt laying on the ground with “significant injuries.” Rescuers took her to a hospital, but she was later pronounced dead.

According to police, Segura and Smüt were dating; authorities described the case as a “domestic violence homicide investigation.”   The circumstances have left the community in shock and mourning.

Another Transgender Woman Murdered

Intersex Bill Passes at City Council

The parents of babies with intersex traits are often persuaded by the medical establishment to have their newborns undergo unnecessary genital surgeries, according to Council Member Daniel Dromm.

A bill passed the city council earlier this week, sponsored by Dromm, that aims to bring attention to these “unnecessary treatments” and requires the Department of Health to conduct public outreach campaigns to inform parents and the medical establishment about the implications of such surgeries.

Often children who undergo these treatments grow up identifying with a different gender. The long-term results can be psychologically damaging. The bill passed last week aims to help New Yorkers understand the adverse effects of such treatments.

“Parents of infants with intersex traits are often forced to rely on quackery masquerading as medical science, leading them to make decisions that inflict life-long physical and psychological trauma on their children,” Dromm posted to twitter last year reported Gay City News.

The surgeries are not reversible, and raise questions about medical consent and stigmatization.

Intersex Bill Passes at City Council

Students rallied for their LGBTQ classmates at Ridgeline High School in Cache County after video surfaced online of another teen cutting down a pride flag during a diversity week event.

Several who spoke with KSL-TV said they were calling for positive change to come out of the incident.

It shocked and frightened students who attended the after-school event for the Gay-Straight Alliance.

"Oh, I'm terrified. I wasn't allowed to go to school today," said freshman Spencer Wilkinson.

Wilkinson said what she found at school Wednesday afternoon, however, changed that terror to encouragement as she was met with quite the opposite – a rally for support outside her school.

"I was so surprised," she said. "I think it's important that, not only here – we recognize the homophobia that's happened – but everywhere, because it's so active and it's happening."

Susie Augenstein, an ally for the LGBTQ community, said she was hoping for the same thing.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 04:35:54 PM »

Tuesday, May 4th, 2021

‘Percy vs Goliath’

When you call your film “Percy Vs Goliath,” we think we know the ending. But the film, a small Canadian production shot in Winnipeg and Manitoba, has a fine cast and location and and tells a compelling story of one real-life farmer, played by Christopher Walken, standing against a giant multinational corporation with buckets of lawyers and money.

Percy Schmeiser (Walken) is a canola farmer and a “seed-saver” from Humbolt, Saskatchewan, where he has been saving the hardiest seeds from his crops for decades, just like his father and grandfather before him. When his people lived in early 20th century Europe, they were serfs. But in Canada, Percy’s family has amassed land, modern equipment and a hard-won and satisfying living. Percy is a justly proud man of the land.

One day Percy finds strangers on his property taking samples. He is then informed that all his crop and all his seeds belong to the corporation that developed a GMO that migrated to his land, probably from a neighbor’s fields and maybe even a passing truck carrying the genetically engineered seed in open bags. Percy’s neighbor is afraid to testify and anger the corporation. Percy takes the company to court and loses. Should he try again and risk losing everything and alienating his beloved wife, Louise (Roberta Maxwell - "Ma Twist" in Brokeback Mountain), who finds herself blackballed and ostracized by her hypocritical fellow church members?

“Percy Vs Goliath” does not have much in the way of surprises, unless you count how unsympathetic Christina Ricci’s Washington Post reporter Rebecca is half the time. Rebecca convinces Percy to attend farm meetings, speak out against genetically modified seed and collect donations.

‘Percy vs Goliath’

Alabama Deals With Anti-Gay Language

Alabama will remove anti-gay language from the state’s sex education law that for decades said students should be taught that homosexuality is both socially unacceptable and illegal.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed the measure Tuesday into law after it was approved by the Alabama Legislature.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Laura Hall, D-Huntsville, removes a section of the 1992 sex education law that directed that sex education programs should include “an emphasis, in a factual manner and from a public health perspective, that homosexuality is not a lifestyle acceptable to the general public and that homosexual conduct is a criminal offense under the laws of this state.”

The Alabama law will maintain the emphasis on abstinence in sex education. There will be a new requirement for parents to get notification when sexual education or human reproduction will be taught and to request materials.

The measure had been introduced for several years, but did not win final passage until this year.

The Southern Poverty Law Center applauded Ivey for signing the bill.

Alabama Deals With Anti-Gay Language

Activist Passes Away

They called Madeline Davis a lesbian legend.

A longtime activist for gay rights, she blazed a trail for the understanding and acceptance of the LGBTQ community as a teacher, stage performer, author and historian.

She was a founding member and president of the first gay liberation organization in Western New York, the Mattachine Society of the Niagara Frontier.

She delivered a speech at the first gay march on Albany in 1971.  The following year, when Democrats met in Miami Beach, Fla., to nominate George McGovern, she became the first openly gay delegate to a major political party convention and advocated for a gay rights plank in the platform.

She taught the first course on lesbianism in the nation at the University at Buffalo.  A founding member of Hag Theater, the first all-lesbian theater company in the United States, she acted in several of its productions.

She and UB professor Dr. Elizabeth L. Kennedy researched and authored a landmark account of the lives of gay working women in Buffalo, “Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold: The History of a Lesbian Community.”

Her research became the foundation for what has become the Dr. Madeline Davis LGBTQ Archive of Western New York at SUNY Buffalo State and she served as its director.

Activist Passes Away

Star Wants Deadpool to Be Bisexual

Ryan Reynolds is reportedly begging Marvel executives to make the maverick superhero Deadpool openly bisexual.

While the superhero character is portrayed as pansexual in the Deadpool comics, he has only ever had romantic liaisons with female characters in the two feature films, released in 2016 and 2018.

But Ryan Reynolds is hoping to change that for the third Deadpool film, according to tipster Daniel Richtman.

Richtman said Reynolds “very much wants” to explore the superhero’s sexuality in the third film and he has reportedly asked Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige to “make Deadpool openly bi,” We Got This Covered reports.

This is not the first time the 44-year-old actor has expressed an interest in exploring Deadpool’s sexuality.  Speaking at a Q&A at Comic-Con San Diego in 2018, Reynolds said: “I certainly think that this universe needs to represent and reflect the world in very real ways.”

He added: “The great thing about Deadpool is that we’re allowed to do things that other superhero movies don’t necessarily do.  It’s something that I’d love to see more of, certainly through Wade [Deadpool’s real name], certainly through this universe because its’ something that we’re building out more.”

Star Wants Deadpool to Be Bisexual

Ohio Joins Other States

Ohio will soon join nearly every other state in the country in allowing transgender people born in the state to change the gender markers on their birth certificates. Tennessee will soon be the lone holdout.

The Ohio Department of Health will not appeal a federal court ruling issued in December that found the state’s ban on birth certificate gender changes is unconstitutional. The department is instead working on a process for people to request the change and expects to have it in place by June 1, The Cincinnati Enquirer reported Monday, citing a court filing made Thursday.

The December ruling by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio came in response to a lawsuit brought by four transgender people born in Ohio. The plaintiffs, according to court documents, were subjected to professional humiliation, verbal harassment and threats to their safety as a result of not having a birth certificate that aligned with their gender identity.

The ruling cited a 2015 survey by the National Center for Transgender Equality that found 36 percent of respondents in Ohio who showed an ID with a name or gender that did not match their gender presentation were “verbally harassed, denied benefits or service, asked to leave, or assaulted.”

Judge Michael Watson called the state’s argument that permitting changes to birth certificate gender markers would “undermine the accuracy of vital statistics or fraud prevention” a “red herring.”

Ohio Joins Other States

Demisexuality

Demisexuality is when you’re only sexually attracted to people you have a strong emotional bond with. But TBH, this definition is a bit bare bones.

Here’s a deep dive into what it really means to be demisexual.

According to the Demisexuality Resource Center, the type or level of emotional bond demisexual folks need to be sexually attracted to someone varies.  An emotional bond doesn’t always mean you’re straight up *in love* with someone. Sometimes it can be a close friend or a person you know on a deep level.

Did we really need a demisexual label?  Demisexuality is a valid sexual orientation. That means it def deserves a label.  Owning the label can make peeps feel more supported, understood, and accepted.

Also, you might be thinking, “Don’t lots of people wait to form a connection before they have sex?”

While this is true, it might have nothing to do with demisexuality or any other sexual orientation. Some peeps prefer to abstain for other reasons like marriage.

Demisexuality

LGBTQ Ally Biden Has Transgender Citizens' Backs

In  his first joint address to Congress, President Joe Biden on Wednesday sent an unequivocal message to the transgender community: "To all transgender Americans watching at home, especially the young people. You’re so brave. I want you to know your president has your back."

His remarks come amid a wave of state bills targeting transgender people, particularly trans youth. As of this week, at least six states have signed bills into law that restrict gender-affirming care for minors or ban trans student athletes from competing on school sports teams that align with their gender identity. On Wednesday, hours before Biden's speech, West Virginia’s governor signed a bill into law that prevents transgender students from competing on girls sports teams from middle school through college.

There are currently over 200 anti-LGBTQ bills under consideration across at least 30 states, with more than half of these bills targeting transgender people, according to the Human Rights Campaign, the country’s largest LGBTQ advocacy group.

During his speech, Biden also reiterated his support for the Equality Act, federal legislation that would modify existing civil rights laws to add protections against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. The Equality Act passed the House in 2019 but has yet not received a vote in the Senate. With Democrats now in control of the Senate, the bill’s supporters are more optimistic than ever about its chances of becoming law.

Following Biden’s speech, Alphonso David, president of the Human Rights Campaign, said the administration has “made it clear through their actions that they are allies in the fight for equality and justice for LGBTQ people.”

LGBTQ Ally Biden Has Transgender Citizens' Backs

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:15:51 PM »

Tuesday, May 11th, 2021

A Tribute To Larry McMurtry

"Shooting fish in a barrel.” “Loaded for bear.” “Bring in the big guns.” Many West Texas sayings involve firearms. Or cows. “All hat and no cattle” describes a man who struts around wearing a symbol of power on his head but who holds no actual value. The opposite of a mensch. A big gun (a man connected to power) who loads for bear (using all the power at his disposal) in order to shoot fish in a barrel is one way for a writer to be all hat and no cattle. Using fancy words to describe those people, in withering terms sufficient to elevate a discriminating reader, is one way to make a writerly living. J.D. Vance, writer of Hillbilly Elegy, has made a mint. Larry McMurtry did the opposite. McMurtry died in March, having spent much of his 84 years arranging words to help readers sympathetically hear life in West Texas.

He’s best known for Lonesome Dove, due to the abiding allure of the very myth of the West that McMurtry wrote at a slant. Dwight Garner notes in his New York Times obituary that McMurtry offered “unromantic depictions of a long mythologized region.” “Now a Triumphant CBS-TV Event” my copy of Lonesome Dove announces. I’m not hating. But I love McMurtry for his smaller, sparer stories. “Prose,” he wrote, “must accord with the land.” “A viny, tangled prose would never do for a place so open; a place, to use Ross Calvin’s phrase, where the sky determines so much.” McMurtry used his genuine, literary power to describe life alongside people smaller than the sky, who neither wield nor hire big guns.

The quote above comes from McMurtry’s 1968 collection In A Narrow Grave, specifically “Here’s Hud in Your Eye,” about his visit to the set of the 1963 movie “Hud” based on his first novel Horseman, Pass By (1961). The producers needed a sexier name for the movie; a man on a horse just passing by being insufficient. They considered “Wild Desire.” McMurtry proposes paring it down to “Coitus on Horseback.” McMurtry fashions humor from the mix of meaning, myth, and manhood going on as Hollywood makes “Texas.” He recommends Pauline Kael’s review of “Hud,” and Kael brings in London and New York, noting that critics watching “Hud” from above mistakenly discovered significance, unable to process that McMurtry’s American West, a “lonesome country,” is not a serviceable morality tale.

A Tribute To Larry McMurtry

Gay Republican Wants To Make A Difference

Michael Deel isn't a garden-variety Republican.

"If elected, I will be the first openly gay Republican senator elected to office," he said. "Being gay and being a Republican, which is kind of a unicorn in this day and time, I felt like I could make a difference."

Deel, 38, of Fort Smith said he was officially announcing his candidacy today for the U.S. Senate seat held by John Boozman, a Republican from Rogers who is running for reelection.  Deel said division is destroying democracy in the country and that he's in a unique position to help bring people to common ground.

"I am a Republican, but on social issues, I lean left," he said. "I want to protect everyone. I want to help everyone. But I will not go with this rhetoric about the election being stolen. I won't stand for it."

Deel said he will fight for all Arkansans.   "I believe that all Arkansans should be treated equally and given a fair opportunity to seek the American dream," he said. "I think the government's default position should be to stay out of our lives, and if we put petty partisanship aside and ignore the culture wars, we could solve actual problems facing our state and nation."

Deel said Boozman claims to be an advocate of small government but has sponsored and supported legislation designed to make some Arkansans feel like second-class citizens.

Gay Republican Wants To Make A Difference

Lesbian Couple Elected As Prom King & Queen

Some parents in Kings Mill, Ohio, are upset that two lesbian teenagers were crowned prom king and queen.

When Annie Wise and Riley Loudermilk were elected prom king and queen on April 17, the couple received a wave of support from their friends, the school district and even people around the country — a moment they say they’ll never forget. However, the celebration was not mutual for everyone, as some parents voiced their outrage both online and in a school meeting, NBC News reported.

Kings Mill has a population of about 1,500 people, with around 70 percent of the population identifying as right-leaning conservatives, according to Data USA.

Some parents made statements at a school meeting disparaging the teens and the school.

“Sorry, but I believe that there are still two genders, a male and a female," one parent said. “I think tradition stands for a queen that has a vagina, a king that has a penis and testicles."

Another parent expressed dismay that a teacher who flies a gay pride flag, as well as a Black Lives Matter flag, won't fly the American flag.

Wise and Loudermilk have been friends since the third grade, but the now 18 year olds have been dating for the past six months.

Lesbian Couple Elected As Prom King & Queen

Man Outs Himself As Proof

A former college student being accused of being a member of neo-Nazi extremist organizations and encouraging terrorism and hatred is claiming that he is innocent, in part because he’s bisexual which is “in direct conflict with Nazism.”

Andrew Dymock was first arrested on 15 criminal charges in June 2018. He was attempting to fly to the United States when he was arrested.

Dymock is before the Criminal Court of England and Wales, accused of working to promote the System Resistance Network (SRN), a recognized neo-Nazi organization, while attending college. He also allegedly set up a dedicated PayPal account for the website, contributing to the fundraising efforts of the group.

Prosecutors claim that Dymock had ran the Twitter for SRN, wrote and spread extremist material on a website he set up, and coordinated with other extremist groups online between 2017 and 2018. Upon his arrest, Dymock was found to have neo-Nazi material (including “books, flags, clothes and badges”) and online activity dating back at least to when he was 17.

One of his charges includes encouraging “hate on the grounds of sexual orientation.”

The BBC reported from the court proceedings of his trial, which began this week, that Dymock denied all the accusations and told investigators, “I am bisexual but lean towards being homosexual, in direct conflict with Nazism.”

Man Outs Himself As Proof

Olympics May See First Openly Transgender Athlete

Laurel Hubbard is a transgender weightlifter from New Zealand, and she could very well make history this summer. Given her recent performances in the sport, it's quite likely that she will qualify for the Tokyo Olympics ahead of the May 31 qualifying deadline.

The New Zealand Olympic Committee is keeping its cards close to its chest about the subject, saying in a statement that the organization is "not in a position to comment on the likelihood of any athlete's selection until we have the necessary evidence," per NBC Sports.

Hubbard transitioned in her mid-30s and has been competing on an international level since 2017. Her accolades include a second-place finish at the world championships in 2017 and a sixth-place finish at the same competition in 2019. Overall, she ranks 16th in the 87+kg weight class for Olympic qualifying.

The way qualification works, in terms of ranking, is that the top eight lifters are guaranteed Olympic spots, and then each continent is given an additional spot for nations that don't have someone in that top eight.

Olympics May See First Openly Transgender Athlete

Degender Fashion

The founders of a new underwear company say they want to “degender fashion” and believe that the future of the industry will be gender free clothes for everyone.

Urbody, a non-binary undergarments company that launched in March founded by friends Mere Abrams (who goes by they/them) and Anna Graham (she/her), believe that the fashion industry is not keeping up with societal conversations around gender.

“Fashion is ahead of the curve when it comes to traditional norms but in other ways it’s far behind,” said Graham. “The very fabric of the industry is grounded in a binary understanding of bodies and self-expression.”

She added: “There’s the men’s section and the women’s and everyone is assumed to be cisgender or gender conforming. I don’t believe that that is where the future of fashion is headed.”

Fashion labels like Art School have been boundary pushing in terms of deconstructing gendered dress codes, while pop culture moments like Harry Styles’ wearing a dress on the cover of US Vogue have also kept the conversation going on gender in the fashion industry.  But Graham said the industry still has a long way to go.

“While it is wonderful that we’re seeing more and more gender diversity on magazine covers, we want to see just as many trans, nonbinary and gender non-conforming people at the table making decisions and having input. Gender inclusivity should be woven into all facets of the industry,” Graham said.

Degender Fashion

"A Place To Call Home"

The documentary short film“A Place To Call Home” features four Asian PFLAG mothers sharing their journeys with their LGBTQ kids.

Stephanie Tran, the film’s director who identifies as queer, said the goal of the film is representation of unheard voices. Tran, the child of Vietnamese refugees, wants to create the visibility that they, and other people like them who felt marginalized, craved growing up.

“This film is extremely important to me because I hardly ever see myself represented in the media,” Tran, 28, a Vietnamese filmmaker who uses the pronouns they and them, said in a statement. “It is my dream and my life’s goal to change that.”

PFLAG released the documentary this week on its YouTube channel to coincide with Asian-American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.  Tran approached PFLAG National last year with an idea for a film to amplify and honor Asian LGBTQ voices. But when COVID-19 hit, the project was paused. Eventually, Tran brought the film and her vision to life.

The first link below is where you will find the rest of the article.  The second link is the short film on YouTube.

"A Place To Call Home"

"A Place To Call Home"

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 01:49:41 PM »

Tuesday, May 18th, 2021

Let's Talk About Catwoman

Pain, frustration, sadness, vulnerability—these are the quickest routes to an Oscar nomination for an actress. Look like you’re having fun and it probably won’t happen, because heaven forbid that a woman presents herself with independence and authority, turning up her nose at the patriarchy and forging her own destiny without suffering for it.

Just ask Michelle Pfeiffer and Anne Hathaway. Both did devilish, delightful work playing the same character, the devious Catwoman, in two Batman films from two decades apart, Batman Returns and The Dark Knight Rises. And both found themselves nominated for lesser, more woeful performances. Pfeiffer was up for Best Actress for basically playing what a Mad TV sketch once referred to as a “Nice White Lady” role—a woman who befriends a Black man and his child in the ’60s—in the forgettable Love Field. Hathaway, meanwhile, won Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of doomed prostitute Fantine in Tom Hooper’s draining adaptation of Les Misérables.

Both Oscar-honored turns reduce their nominated stars to lost, helpless ladies. It’s in the Batman movies, released the same years (1992 and 2012, respectively), that they figuratively and literally break free. Slipping into jet-black, skin-tight bodysuits, Pfeiffer and Hathaway go wild playing crafty, surprisingly acrobatic anti-heroines who take glee in outwitting (and often taking down) their male counterparts.

For Returns, director Tim Burton doesn’t even bother sticking with the canonical origin story of how Pfieffer’s Selina Kyle becomes the slinky, seductive cat burglar. Here, she’s a meek secretary who gets thrown out of a building by her corrupt boss (Christopher Walken, giving zero fucks), somehow gets resuscitated by stray cats, and wreaks havoc around Gotham as the reborn Catwoman. Christopher Nolan, on the other hand, decided to be faithful to the comic-book backstory in Rises, presenting Hathaway’s Kyle as a lethal, eye-rolling thief who ultimately becomes one of the many players involved in saving Gotham from an atomic blast.

Let's Talk About Catwoman

NYC Pride and The Police

A gay officers group said it was disheartened after a "shameful" decision by organizers of certain Pride gatherings in New York City to ban police from their events.

NYC Pride said its new policy banning "corrections and law enforcement exhibitors" through at least 2025 will improve safety as violence against marginalized groups, specifically BIPOC – Black, Indigenous, people of color – and trans communities, has  escalated.

"NYPD is not required to lead first response and security at NYC Pride events," the group said. "All aspects of first response and security that can be reallocated to trained private security, community leaders and volunteers will be reviewed."

The Gay Officers Action League (GOAL) said NYC Pride has long been a valued partner.

"The abrupt about-face in order to placate some of the activists in our community is shameful," GOAL said.

The first Gay Pride parades and marches in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco in 1970 came a year after an uprising in 1969 outside Manhattan’s Stonewall Inn, a gay bar, following a police raid.

NYC Pride and The Police

Justice For Mikayla Miller

The death of 16-year-old Black lesbian Mikayla Miller under mysterious circumstances in mid-April has ignited an outcry from a broad front of anti-racism forces.

Black and LGBTQ2S+ organizers from the Greater Boston area joined with Mikayla’s grieving community to lead a vigil today that drew thousands from around the state.

Details available about Mikayla Miller’s final hours — and the way her body was discovered — are chilling. On April 17, Mikayla’s mother called local police to report that Mikayla had been jumped in her apartment complex by several white youths whom she knew. Police came to the apartment, where Mikayla gave a statement that she had been assaulted. Less than 12 hours later, a jogger found Mikayla dead in the woods near her home, tied to a tree with a leather belt.

Mikayla’s family was notified that first-responder and police agencies were treating the death as a suicide despite glaring signs of foul play that clearly warranted a homicide investigation. This aroused concern that racism of police and other officials had impacted decisions about how the state was handling Mikayla’s death. Those decisions irreparably delayed a timely, unbiased investigation. This would have been the best chance to confirm or rule out any theory of what occurred in the hours, minutes and moments before Mikayla’s life ended forever.

When the family examined police records, they noted that official logs were missing for both the April 17 assault and the April 18 discovery of Mikayla’s body. They challenged investigators to be transparent about the status of the case. In response, police threatened the family with publicizing Makayla’s sexual orientation if they went public with their concerns.

Justice For Mikayla Miller

Commonality of Mental Health Issues

The pervasiveness of mental health conditions in the LGBTQIA+ community has long been a topic of discussion and research.

This also includes mental health conditions in bisexual people. A person who is bisexual has an affectional and sexual orientation towards individuals of the same and other genders.  Bisexual people make up the largest population within the LGBT community. However, there is a lack of research regarding mental health issues in bisexual people.

This article explores existing research regarding mental health conditions in bisexual people, as well as where support can be found and strategies for suicide prevention.

According to a report by the San Francisco Human Rights Commission, bisexual people in the United States make up the largest single population within the LGBT community.  According to the American Psychiatric Association, approximately 3.9% of the adult population of the United States self-identify as bisexual.

However, there is a lack of significant research surrounding mental health in bisexual people. This is despite current studiesTrusted Source showing that bisexual people are at a greater risk of poor mental health compared to lesbian women and gay men.

In a 2020 study looking at mental health in Australian bisexual people, 72%Trusted Source of participants reported high or very high levels of psychological distress.

Existing research has shown that bisexual people report having increased experiences of depression and suicide compared to heterosexual, gay, and lesbian individuals.

Commonality of Mental Health Issues

Protecting Transgender People

Gay and transgender people will be protected from discrimination in health care, the Biden administration announced Monday, effectively reversing a Trump-era rule that went into effect last year.

The announcement from the Department of Health and Human Services concerns one of the most notable parts of the Affordable Care Act — the provision in Section 1557 that prevents health care providers and insurance companies from discriminating on the basis "race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in certain health programs and activities."

Effective immediately, the agency says it will interpret that provision to encompass discrimination against someone on the basis of their sexual orientation or gender identity in health care.

"Fear of discrimination can lead individuals to forgo care, which can have serious negative health consequences," HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra said in a statement. "It is the position of the Department of Health and Human Services that everyone — including LGBTQ people — should be able to access health care, free from discrimination or interference, period."

Officials at HHS framed the change as updating the agency's interpretation of existing law to bring it into alignment with Bostock v. Clayton County, last year's landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court. That ruling found that LGBTQ people are protected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 banning discrimination on the basis of sex.

Protecting Transgender People

Mental Health of Asexual Youths

The majority of young asexual people have experienced deteriorating mental health in the past year, according to troubling new research released on Asexual Visibility Day (8 May).

An independent survey commissioned by the LGBT+ youth charity Just Like Us found that 63 per cent of asexuals aged 11-18 reported worsening mental health since the pandemic began.

A third (27 per cent) of asexual young people are struggling with daily tension at home; 33 per cent report experiencing anxiety disorder and panic attacks; and 45 per cent are worrying daily about their mental health.

Tragically, one in 10 (nine per cent) say they have never felt optimistic about the future.

While mental health problems are disproportionately high across the LGBT+ community as a whole, asexual people experience a unique set of challenges, explains Ramses Oliva, a demisexual gay trans man.

“I am 25 now, but I can definitely see myself in those replies,” he told PinkNews. “Growing up, the asexual label was definitely the one that was the hardest for me to define and to accept.”

Mental Health of Asexual Youths

Two Spirit Society & Allies

Cardinal Red Bird has more than one story about the verbal abuse he listened to in his on-and-off stays on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation in central North Dakota.

"I was ridiculed and verbally harassed," said Red Bird, who is president of the developing Two Spirit Society & Allies of North Dakota that is holding a kickoff event in Fargo this weekend.  "I was ashamed for my people," said the Bismarck man who knows the situation has improved since those days in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Yet he still worries. He took his address off one of the pamphlets explaining the mission of the organization after he learned of the racist and anti-Islam graffiti spray-painted on the Moorhead Fargo Islamic Center mosque last month.  "I didn't want to wake up some morning and find my garage door spray-painted," Red Bird said.

Red Bird explained Two Spirit as "people having both a male and female spirit within them and are blessed by their Creator to see life through the eyes of both genders." He said the term has been present for countless generations, although different tribes use other phrases.

He noted that a Two Spirit person isn't necessarily gay.

Two Spirit Society & Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 07:32:37 PM »

Tuesday, May 25th, 2021

Jake On Cinema Sundays

Actor and producer Jake Gyllenhaal ’98 shared his experience working on the film “Brokeback Mountain” during the final installment of the year’s Cinema Sundays program May 16. Questions for Gyllenhaal were posed and moderated by Visual Arts, ISIR and Performing Arts Teacher Ted Walch.

“Brokeback Mountain” is a romantic drama directed by Ang Lee, adapted from a short story written by Annie Proulx, about the relationship between American cowboys Ennis Del Mar and Jake Twist (Gyllenhaal) over 20 years. It grossed $178 million worldwide with a $14 million budget and is often credited as helping to advance queer cinema. Gyllenhaal was nominated for an Academy Award in the “Best Supporting Actor” category for his performance in the film in 2006.

The one-hour event was open to all school parents, alums, parents of alums, community members and current students. Over 130 people attended the discussion.

Gyllenhaal said that filming “Brokeback Mountain” was a very intimate experience and he was surprised by the amount of support the film received after its initial release in 2005.

“Everything that happened after we finished filming this small movie has been really hard to process, frankly, and really extraordinary,” Gyllenhaal said. “It always blows my mind thinking about us, me making coffee for everyone in the morning before we began shooting and then being at the Academy Awards and someone coming up to me saying, ‘You know, I came out to my parents and I never thought I could until I saw this film.’”

Jake On Cinema Sundays

"Dance of the Forty One"

More than 120 years after an infamous police raid rocked Mexican high society, Netflix has released "Dance of the Forty One," a fictionalized retelling of a major political scandal that has had a lasting impact on the country’s culture and depictions of the LGBTQ community.

Directed by David Pablos and penned by Monika Revilla, the film — which premiered in Mexican theaters in November and is now streaming on Netflix — follows the double life of Ignacio de la Torre y Mier (Alfonso Herrera), a businessman, politician and son-in-law of President Porfirio Díaz (Fernando Becerril). As his wife, Amada (Mabel Cadena), begins to grow suspicious of his whereabouts, Ignacio begins to develop a fatal attraction to a man named Evaristo Rivas (Emiliano Zurita), whom he introduces to his clandestine club of homosexual men.

The film’s title — its original in Spanish is "El Baile de los 41" — refers to the night of Nov. 17, 1901, when police raided a private home in Mexico City. The official report was that they found 41 prominent men dancing together — half of whom were dressed as women. But a scandal ensued when initial reports placed a 42nd man in attendance, and the story spread that it was de la Torre, the president’s son-in-law, marking the first time homosexuality was openly discussed in the Mexican media.

Growing up in Mexico City, lead actor Alfonso Herrera said it was customary for the people around him to avoid the number 41, but it wasn’t until he was much older that he came to understand the negative “connotation and meaning that this number had for the Mexican society.”

Herrera, 37, who is best known internationally for his work in “The Exorcist” and “Sense8,” said he immediately jumped at the chance to work with Pablos, who directed the award-winning 2015 movie "Las Elegidas."

"Dance of the Forty One"

Slur Used During Attack

A gay Columbus woman who was found unconscious lying in a street in Linden says she was called a homophobic slur seconds before she was punched in the face by a stranger.

"He's a bad man. He doesn't deserve to be on the street," said Marissa. "He beat me up and left me for dead."

Marissa says she was walking on Loretta Avenue near McGuffey Road on April 30 shortly before midnight when she passed a car parked on the street.

Marrisa says a man in the car yelled at her for getting too close to his vehicle. She tells WSYX that she did not touch the vehicle.

Seconds later, Marissa says a man jumped out of the passenger seat and began punching her.

"The first hit was a knockout. I don't remember anything after that," said Marissa.  "I don't deserve that. I've never done anything hateful to deserve anything like that."

Marissa says before she was attacked, the suspected assailant made derogatory comments about her appearance, her clothes and he called her a gay slur.

Slur Used During Attack

Bisexual Student Attacked

A bisexual teenager was brutally beaten by students who threw an LGBT+ Pride flag into a river on IDAHOBIT.

On Monday (17 May), which was the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT), two high school students in West Flanders, Belgium, reportedly kicked and punched the victim.

One filmed the attack on his mobile phone, sharing the footage with his Instagram followers.

Footage seen by vrt NWS showed the boys lob anti-LGBT+ slurs at the victim before punching him in the head and kicking him in the stomach.

The victim, as well as the two suspects, are students at the GO! Atheneum Oudenaarde secondary school, which was close to where the incident took place.

A separate video taken after the altercation appears to show the suspects throwing an LGBT+ Pride flag into the river Scheldt, which runs through the country into France.

“Gay day,” one of the boys says in the footage, in Dutch. “What do you think?”

Bisexual Student Attacked

Transgender Teen Murdered

HRC is deeply saddened to learn of the death of Oliver “Ollie” Taylor, a 17-year-old white trans boy, who died on May 19 after being kidnapped and shot on May 12 in Gervais, Oregon. Oliver’s death is at least the 26th violent death of a transgender or gender non-conforming person in 2021. We say “at least” because too often these deaths go unreported — or misreported.  Oliver, who also used the nickname Ollie, was a student at Gervais High School, where he was involved in several activities, including the Gervais Future Farmers of America organization. The high school held a vigil to remember Oliver on May 20. Oliver is being remembered by family on Facebook as “an amazing child with a quirky sense of humor, who impacted so many people.” His family are planning a celebration of life.

HRC recorded 44 deaths of transgender and gender non-conforming people in 2020, more than in any year since we began tracking this violence in 2013.

A suspect is in custody. According to local news reports, on May 12, the suspect shot another individual, Arik Reed, and then kidnapped Taylor before fleeing the scene in a vehicle. During the pursuit, the suspect and the Gervais Police Department exchanged gunfire before the car stopped and Oliver, who had been shot by the suspect, was taken to a local hospital. He passed away one week later. A grand jury has indicted the suspect for Oliver’s murder and additional charges.

More than 10,000 hate crimes in the U.S. involve a firearm each year, which equates to more than 28 each day, according to a 2020 report from HRC, Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund, Giffords Law Center and Equality Florida titled “Remembering and Honoring Pulse: Anti-LGBTQ Bias and Guns Are Taking Lives of Countless LGBTQ People.” The report also notes a marked increase in anti-LGBTQ hate crimes, especially against transgender people. According to the 2017-2019 Transgender Homicide Tracker, three-fourths of confirmed homicides against transgender people have involved a gun, and nearly eight in 10 homicides of Black trans women involve a gun. Further, advocates saw a 43% increase in the formation of anti-LGBTQ hate groups in 2019.

Transgender Teen Murdered

All Gender Bathroom Access

Public bathrooms have become a battleground for trans rights in the U.S., as lawmakers across the country have targeted these necessary spaces as a way to either show support for or deny access to certain groups. As if the issue was not already fraught, one local group is raising awareness of another unexpected hurdle to expanding all-gender bathrooms — the plumbing code.

Trans, Intersex and Nonbinary Alliance, or TINA, a group out of Carnegie Mellon University, has put pressure on the Allegheny County Health Department to change Plumbing Code Article XV so that both new and established buildings are required to provide all-gender bathroom access.

As stated in a press release from TINA, the code "blocks most establishments from creating and properly labeling facilities that accommodate people for whom 'Men’s' and 'Women’s'  rooms do not feel safe or comfortable."

Now, the group is encouraging people to provide a comment or register to speak at an upcoming public hearing on the matter.

Beginning today, the ACHD Board of Health will take public comments and requests over a 30-day period. This will be followed by a virtual public hearing on Tue., June 22, during which the board will hear testimony on "proposed plumbing code revisions which would minimally expand access to All-Gender restrooms," according to the TINA website.

TINA believes changing and enforcing the plumbing code would protect and be more inclusive for all county residents, as well as visitors to the area.

All Gender Bathroom Access

Becoming An Ally

The word ally, commonly used in politics and diplomacy, connotes support and mutual cooperation. But an ally worth its salt knows that being one isn’t easy—especially when the balance of power among the parties is skewed. This tightrope walk is apparent in the world of business, especially in the corporate sector, where globalization and integrated work cultures have forced local offices to rethink polices about inclusive workplaces.

equALLY: Stories By FRIENDS Of The Queer World, edited by Srini Ramaswamy and Ramkrishna Sinha (Rupa, 168 pages, ₹395), presents a snapshot of the changes that are affecting major businesses operating in India, especially since 2018, when the Supreme Court read down Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, which criminalized sexual minorities in India for 150 years. Ramaswamy and Sinha are founders of Pride Circle, an organization that consults with a bevy of companies, from multinationals to home-grown startups, on diversity and inclusion (D&I) policies. Their initiatives include job fairs aimed at recruiting LGBTQ+ employees, apart from organizing conferences, outreach programs and social media campaigns to spread awareness about biases against sexual minorities.

equALLY is a valuable addition to the growing resources for building social equity in the workplace and beyond. The function of an ally, Ramaswamy writes in the Introduction, is to not only ensure the creation and implementation of correct policies but also “help reduce a tiny bit of the emotional and mental baggage that the LGBT+ people are compelled to carry”. One of the heartening aspects of the book is the rich diversity of perspectives. From actor Nandita Das to parents with LGBTQ+ children, to school-going young adults, equALLY aims to capture a veritable rainbow of the ally spectrum.

Becoming An Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: Ultra Vilolet, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »

Tuesday, June 1st, 2021

James Schamus Takes On TV

Longtime Ang Lee collaborator and Indignation director James Schamus has made his first foray into TV with Somos., Netflix’s show about the 2011 Allende Massacre.

The six-episode series will debut on the streamer on June 30 and explores the consequences of drug trafficking and a mass killing perpetrated by a drug cartel over missing money in the Mexico-US border town of Allende.

Schamus hatched the idea after reading Pulitzer Prize-winning Ginger Thompson’s ProPublica investigative report ‘How the U.S. Triggered A Massacre in Mexico’, which incorporates stories and testimonies of dozens of people who experienced the deadly events in March 2011.

He directed and co-wrote Somos. with Mexican writers Monika Revilla and Fernanda Melchor, and served as executive producer alongside Sandra Solares. Alvaro Curiel is co-director.

Schamus, an Oscar-nominated co-writer on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, acquired rights to the article in 2018 and pitched Netflix. Production took place in Mexico from late 2019 into 2020, with a professional and non-professional cast. When former president Trump closed the border to prevent the spread of Covid-19, Schamus returned to New York and worked via remote monitors.

James Schamus Takes On TV

Right To Fire in Texas

Right-wing Christian groups in Texas are arguing in court that employers should be able to discriminate against workers who engage in “homosexual or transgender conduct” such as using Grindr, visiting a gay bar, or having same-sex relations.

The arguments came in a brief filed Monday in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth Division, by the U.S. Pastor Council, Bear Creek Bible Church, and Braidwood Management, a firm run by longtime anti-LGBTQ+ activist Steven Hotze, a leader of the successful campaign to repeal Houston’s nondiscrimination ordinance.

The plaintiffs filed suit several months ago seeking an exemption from Bostock v. Clayton County, the Supreme Court decision banning anti-LGBTQ+ employment discrimination, saying it violates their religious freedom. It names as defendant the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, a federal government agency that has issued guidance on how employers should follow the provisions of Bostock. U.S. District Judge Reed C. O’Connor, one of the most conservative federal jurists in the nation, ruled in January that the suit could go forward.

The Bostock ruling, issued last June, held that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, in banning employment discrimination based on sex, also bans such discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. The law doesn’t apply to employers with fewer than 15 workers or to Native American tribes, and it allows churches and religious schools to favor members of their own religion for certain positions. Also, the Supreme Court has recognized a ministerial exemption so churches don’t have to employ clergy members who don’t hold their beliefs. But the plaintiffs say those exceptions don’t go far enough to protect their rights under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act and the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Right To Fire in Texas

Landmark White House Press Meeting

Karine Jean-Pierre, the White House principal deputy press secretary, made history on May 26 as the first out Black lesbian woman to deliver a White House press briefing.

Nearly 30 years ago, Judy Smith, the deputy press secretary to President George H.W. Bush, became the first Black woman to issue statements in the James S. Brady Briefing Room. Now Jean-Pierre, who was born in Martinique but raised in Queens, New York, is following her legacy. According to the Washington Blade, former deputy White House press secretary Eric Schultz became the first out gay man to lead a White House press briefing in 2015.

“It’s a real honor to be standing here today,” Jean-Pierre said. “I appreciate the historic nature. I really do. But I believe that being behind this podium, being in this room, being in this building is not about one person. It’s about what we do on behalf of the American people. Clearly, the president believes that representation matters, and I appreciate him giving me this opportunity, and it’s another reason why I think we’re all so proud that this is the most diverse administration in history.”

She added, “This is not about me. This is not about any of us. And anytime I’m behind here … we are going to be truthful, we’re going to be transparent, and that’s the way I believe the president would want us to communicate to the American people.”

Landmark White House Press Meeting

Bisexual Rapper Jumps to His Death

Brazillian rapper Kevin Nascimento Bueno, who performed as MC Kevin, fell to his death in Rio de Janeiro after he jumped off a balcony and plunged several floors.

Bueno was having a threesome with his friend, Victor Fontenelle, and fashion model Bianca Domingues in a hotel room when someone knocked on the door. Bueno thought it was his wife and bolted.

The popular rapper’s wife, Deolane Bezerra, had been texting and calling him with no response and was searching for him on the hotel grounds. He thought she had found him when a friend knocked on the door of the hotel suite.

Bueno was reportedly attempting to jump onto a terrace below the balcony. He missed and fell five stories onto the pool patio below.

Domingues told authorities that she met the men earlier that day on the beach when she was invited to the rapper’s suite. While both women were at the police station, Bezerra allegedly struck the model.

It isn’t clear whether Domingues knew Bueno was married. The couple had only been married for three weeks.

“We must point out that all testimonies report excessive consumption of alcohol and narcotic substances, illicit drugs,” police chief Antenor Junior said.

Bisexual Rapper Jumps to His Death

A Note To Republicans

Just over a week ago, to comparatively little fanfare, Gov. Jared Polis signed into law a bill that will make discrimination against anyone based on gender identity expression unlawful.

In particular, the bill will protect the rights of transgender Coloradans in the same manner as the law currently protects people based on race, sex or religion. Given the increase in anti-transgender legislation introduced recently across the country, Colorado is among the most equitable states in the nation.

It is a far cry from where our state was just under a decade ago in the LGBTQ equality discussion. The civil unions saga at the state Capitol turned the statehouse chamber into anarchy and chaos. The resultant political ramifications swamped the Colorado GOP in the next election, a drubbing it has never recovered from.

Republicans across the country may want to take note before continuing the current culture war. The short-term gain in engagement from their base could have devastating long-term consequences.

It seems likely that Republicans see an opening in the mixed views Americans hold on transgender equality according to recent polls. While a significant majority support allowing transgender Americans to serve in the military, most also believe that transgender athletes should be allowed to play sports only on teams that match their birth gender.

The latter issue has recently garnered national headlines when a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit that would have banned transgender girls from competing in girls high school sports in Connecticut. The decision came only months after the Justice Department withdrew from the case.

A Note To Republicans

"Shadow And Bone" Portrays Asexual Love

There’s a scene in the new Shadow and Bone adaptation where Kaz Brekker (played by Freddy Carter), a ruthless mastermind generally considered one of the cold-blooded men in the criminal underworld, realizes that his friend and co-conspirator, Inej Ghafa (Amita Suman), is hurt. She’s holding her side, her hand is bloody, and she’s staring at Kaz desperately. He’s just as conflicted, his jaw clenches, and he pulls away from her.

That jaw clench, dear reader, is my Hand Flex.

You know, the infamous close-up on Mr. Darcy’s hand in the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice after he holds Elizabeth’s hand for .5 seconds? Thee Hand Flex.

But in that moment Kaz Brekker sees the woman he loves in pain and needing his help, he instead of offering his hand, he retreats from her. He wants to help but he doesn’t know how to touch her; he doesn’t know how to staunch the blood, to use his hands to show her he cares about her pain, that he can use his hands to physically care for someone. Sure, this is rooted in some deep-seated personal trauma, per the novels, but another, very valid, reading of this aversion to intimacy is that Kaz Brekker is asexual.

But, people will say, he does care for Inej! He wants to be with her, he just doesn’t know how. Therefore, he cannot be asexual. And I say to those people that there are many ace folks out there who feel that same kind of attraction. A desire to be with someone without knowing exactly how to express that desire. Without knowing if touching is allowed, or right, or wanted, who don’t really even know when they’re being flirted with because that sort of sexual overture just doesn’t click in their head. Misinformation and conflicting standards about what “make up” an asexual identity is an unfortunate side effect of asexuality appearing as a spectrum and our cultural desire to equate celibacy with asexuality.

"Shadow And Bone" Portrays Asexual Love

Brands That Are Giving Back

Last year, COVID-19 put a big damper on Pride Month festivities, but this season, there’s cause to celebrate in more ways than one and many major retailers are getting in on the action.

While it’s customary for Pride-themed merchandise to spike during the month of June—a practice that’s often criticized and compared to pinkwashing—there’s still tremendous value that can come from rocking rainbows during this time of year, as it helps increase visibility and may lend support and encouragement to others within the LGBTQ community who are still exploring their identities.

Popular brands like Apple, Fossil, Reebok and others often dedicate huge resources during Pride Month to LGBTQ nonprofit organizations (among them, The Trevor Project, GLSEN and additional groups), which means you could be helping others gain access to valuable resources, too.

Here are 40 places (including small and large businesses) to consider shopping for Pride 2021, and which may help you uncover new ways to celebrate love, diversity and inclusivity during this joyful season.

Brands That Are Giving Back

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:58:57 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 12:36:18 PM »

Tuesday, June 8th, 2021

The Ending of "Brokeback"

The tragic love story of Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) in "Brokeback Mountain" has been captivating viewers — gay and straight alike — since the film came out in 2005. "Brokeback Mountain" consistently ranks among the actors' best movies (even though Ledger almost didn't star in it) for its heart-wrenching screenplay by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, thoughtful direction by Ang Lee, and strong performances by the supporting cast, including Michelle Williams as Alma Beers Del Mar and Anne Hathaway as Lureen Newsome Twist.

While "Brokeback Mountain" would meet critical acclaim — even earning Lee the 2006 Academy Award for Best Director — the content was, of course, not everybody's cup of tea. The film would also receive backlash from countless American conservative pundits, and its global reception was also hit-or-miss, with countries around the world restricting showings or DVD distribution, censoring the more intimate scenes, or even banning it outright.

Celebrations and condemnations aside, "Brokeback Mountain" is so memorable because of the uncertainty of its ending, where Jack's death is uncontested but its cause remains up to interpretation.

After Ennis is returned a postcard he sent to Jack with the word "DECEASED" stamped on it, he calls Lureen to learn more about the circumstances surrounding his lover's death. It's a tough scene to watch, as Jack's two partners discuss the loss of their beloved with extreme tension, as it is uncertain how much Lureen knows about the cowboys' relationship. Lureen tells Ennis that she would have let him know about Jack's death, but she didn't know his name or address because "Jack kept his friends' addresses in his head" — thereby seeming to imply that Ennis was not his only "fishing buddy."

The Ending of "Brokeback"

Obama Netflix Series "We The People"

Barack and Michelle Obama, and Kenya Barris have executive produced a Netflix series combining music and animation titled We the People. The show, created by Chris Nee, consists of 10, three-minute-long episodes that feature music performed by Adam Lambert, Brandi Carlile, and Andra Day, among others. The show premieres on the service on July 4.

The news comes at an exciting time for Lambert, who, alongside Queen, recently announced further European shows to the band’s twice-postponed ‘Rhapsody’ UK & Europe tour, now set to take place next year. Queen + Adam Lambert’s 2022 “Rhapsody” concerts will be the band’s first European dates since the worldwide box office sensation that was the Bohemian Rhapsody film.

Per the logline, We the People covers a range of basic U.S. civics lessons in not-so-basic ways, set to original songs performed by artists such as Janelle Monáe, Lin-Manuel Miranda, H.E.R., Cordae, Bebe Rexha, Kyle and inaugural National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman, with a groundbreaking mix of animated styles. Each episode of the series promises to be a vibrant call to action for everyone to rethink civics as a living and breathing thing, and to reframe their understanding of what government and citizenship mean in a modern world. Other musicians featured in the series include Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez, Daveed Diggs, and Brittany Howard.

Executive producing alongside the Obamas and Barris are Tonia Davis, Priya Swaminathan via Higher Ground and Nee for Laughing Wild. Barris executive produces via Khalabo Ink Society. Other producers include Ada Chiaghana, Erynn Sampson and PeeDee Shindell. The series was directed by Peter Ramsey, Trisha Gum, Victoria Vincent, Benjy Brooke, Mabel Ye, Tim Rauch, Jorge R. Gutierrez, Daron Nefcy, Everett Downing, and Kendra Ryan.

Obama Netflix Series "We The People"

Pandemic Woes for Lesbian Bars

At Henrietta Hudson, one of New York City’s most iconic LGBTQ hangouts, co-owner Lisa Cannistraci had long mulled a makeover but put off tackling the changes while business was good.

Then COVID-19 hit. In March 2020, even before authorities ordered businesses to shut down, Cannistraci closed the bar and resolved to use the pause from the pandemic as a chance to transform the historic space in Manhattan's West Village.

Fifteen months later, Henrietta Hudson is welcoming patrons back to a club reimagined as a lounge with sitting areas and plates of charcuterie to accompany its dance floor.

The re-opening coincides with this month's LGBTQ Pride commemorations, which also are making a comeback across the United States as the coronavirus pandemic abates and vaccination rates rise.

In New York, a year after the city's massive Pride march was forced to go mostly virtual, some in-person events are once again planned for June 27, along with a string of online gatherings throughout the month.

"The community needs it now more than ever," said Cannistraci, surrounded by boxes and new furniture in the bar's dim light last week. "I just want to give them the best Pride that I can possibly do."

Pandemic Woes for Lesbian Bars

Michaela Kennedy-Cuomo Says She's Bisexual

The ‘B’ in LGBTQ is oft times overlooked and sometimes marginalized even within the LGBTQ community itself. This past week however, bisexual Americans received a signal boost as the youngest daughter of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo came out in an Instagram post celebrating Pride.

Michaela Kennedy-Cuomo wrote on her Instagram post announcing her sexual and romantic orientations, “Today, I stand in my queer identity with pride, and in memory of those who came before me. I stand indebted to the activists who fought for my right to love and happiness. I stand with a helping hand outreached to those finding their way from under socially constructed boxes to emerge from the closet. I’m standing with you.”

Kennedy-Cuomo, 23, is the youngest of three daughters of the governor and his former spouse Kerry Kennedy, an American human rights activist, writer and the CEO of Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights, a humanitarian and rights organization named for her father, the late New York Senator Robert Kennedy.

Michaela Kennedy-Cuomo Says She's Bisexual

Trans Representation, Post "Pose"

"The category is: live ... work ... pose!"

Emmy winner Billy Porter's boisterous bravado soars through television screens and burrows itself in viewers' ears in the introduction to each episode of FX's "Pose." But they'll only get to hear it one more time: The series finale airs Sunday (10 EDT/PDT) after three groundbreaking seasons.

"Pose" will undoubtedly leave a hole when it comes to transgender representation on TV; it's the only show with a cast made up mostly of trans actors and characters, including stars Mj Rodriguez, Indya Moore and Dominique Jackson.

But transgender representation on TV is slowly but significantly improving. Trans actors and characters will appear across networks and streaming services, with more waiting in the increasingly inclusive wings. Even after "Pose," 21 transgender characters remain on TV, according to GLAAD's director of transgender representation Nick Adams, including Josie Totah's comedic turn on Peacock's "Saved by the Bell" reboot and Brian Michael Smith on Fox's "911: Lone Star."

Experts are bullish about the future of transgender representation, thanks to the example set by "Pose."

"It's beyond optimism," says actress Jen Richards, who appeared in Netflix's 2020 transgender history documentary "Disclosure," and most recently on CBS' "Clarice." "I have certainty that (transgender representation is) going to continue to improve."

Trans Representation, Post "Pose"

Intersex Person Honored in New Zealand

Years ago, when Mani Bruce Mitchell was talking with the late Rangimārie Te Turuki Arikirangi Rose Pere, she told them Māori have always known about intersex people.

“[Kaumātua] would say, ‘this child has been sent to us to teach us something’. What a beautiful way of looking at and holding difference,” Mitchell, who uses they/them pronouns and the honorific Mx, said.

In this year’s Queen’s Birthday Honours, Wellington-based Mitchell is believed to be one of the first intersex, non-binary Kiwis to be made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit. They were awarded the honour for services to intersex advocacy and education, having helped found Intersex Awareness New Zealand (also known as the Intersex Trust of Aotearoa New Zealand/ITANZ) in 1997 – the first of its kind globally.

“Being acknowledged for the work that I’ve done in the field – particularly work for the intersex community – and acknowledgement of the people who have stood beside me, supported me and ushered this work is amazing,” they said.

Intersex people have innate sex characteristics that don’t fit medical norms for typical female or male bodies, which create risks and experiences of stigma, discrimination and harm. “We have many different kinds of bodies and life experiences,” Mitchell said.

Intersex Person Honored in New Zealand

How to Be An Ally at Work

More than 40% of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people experience conflict—such as being undermined, humiliated or discriminated against—at work, according to a recent report. This figure rises to 55% for transgender and nonbinary staff, compared with 29% for their heterosexual colleagues.

The report from the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), suggests that these issues are often left unresolved and more needs to be done to protect and support LGBT+ people within the workplace. And, while some progress has been made, there remains a particular and significant lag in the inclusion of trans workers and understanding of the specific challenges connected with gender identity.

There is compelling evidence that workplaces can be challenging environments for trans people, where their voices often remain the least heard. Even for organizations that seek to be inclusive, many lack the necessary expertise.

This is reflected in the CIPD report, in which most trans workers said their organisation did not have sufficient supportive policies in place—despite evidence that they have a positive effect.

The report also highlights how some trans workers feel isolated from colleagues, find it difficult to maintain work-life balance, and experience difficulties in expressing or transitioning their gender identity.

Many trans workers said they didn’t feel they had the active support of their work colleagues, which may help to explain why up to half reported not being open about their gender identity at work.

How to Be An Ally at Work

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: brian, frokes, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 03:35:58 PM »

Tuesday, June 15th, 2021

Who Are The Basques?

The Basques are a people who live in a small region (about the size of Rhode Island) that straddles the border of Spain and France from the sea in the west into the Pyrenees in the east. This area is called Euskal Herria.  Basques speak a language called Euskara, but today only about 25% of the population is fluent in that tongue. Even so, the word for a Basque person, euskaldun, means "possessor of the Basque language." The Basque population is distinguished physically by a high incidence of Rh Negative factor in the blood.

In 1967, a small Basque studies program was established within the social sciences division of the Great Basin Institute. Originally established to study the Basques as an integral part of the sheep industry that had influenced the development of the Intermountain West, over time (and since incorporated officially into the University of Nevada, Reno), the Center for Basque Studies has become the leading research and educational institute of its kind outside the European Basque homeland.

The primary mission of the Center for Basque Studies is to conduct research on the Basques and to disseminate the results of interdisciplinary research on the Basques to a local, national and international audience through publications (including those produced by the Center for Basque Studies Press), conference presentations, lectures for the general public and creative activities. Research and outreach have been the highest priorities of the center since its founding. Service constitutes an important mission in promoting knowledge about the Basques through a range of academic and non-academic initiatives in cooperation with other departments at the University of Nevada, Reno, as well as at other American and foreign universities and by collaboration with the University Studies Abroad Consortium to provide a quality educational experience for students desirous of studying and living in the Basque Country of Europe.

Basque Culture In Nevada - C-Span Interview

Who Are The Basques?

Looking Back at the First Pride March of Portland

When you think of Pride month, what comes to mind? Perhaps you’ll think of the parties, the exciting flamboyant marches, or maybe the endless rainbow rebrands from seemingly beige, corporate giants. Like who knew mouthwash cared so much about gay rights?

With all the fun and celebration surrounding Gay Pride events, it might be less common for people to think about the decades of struggle. The years and years of hard work that veteran LGBTQ+ activists put in to transform fear and hate into wider sentiments of love and acceptance, whether they be sincere or not.

At least one study shows there’s a large group of Americans who know nothing about the Stonewall Riots.

And if you are among this group of Americans, here’s a quick summary: In the early hours of June 28th,1969 an uprising took place at the Stonewall Inn in New York City that sparked a national gay rights and liberation movement.

Now, every June, people around the world commemorate that one night for an entire month. Even Crocs has a Pride collection.  Yet so much quiet labor has gone into turning one violent night into a month-long party.

Many American cities have experienced versions of nights like the Stonewall Inn, times in history when police have brutality targeted the gay community by enforcing discriminatory laws and ordinances.

Looking Back at the First Pride March of Portland

Slammers Is Still Going Strong

Slammers opened its doors in downtown Columbus back in 1993. And owner Marcia Riley said she didn’t have much choice but to keep on going.

“I quit my job at DCSC, and I had two children,” she said. “I lived in Newark at the time, and then I moved here. Once you start investing, you have to sink or swim.”

But swim, she did, going on nearly 30 years now.

“After quite a few years, I was ready to relax, but I just couldn’t do it,” Riley said. “You know, I just kept hanging in there and hanging in there.”

And she did, through a pandemic most recently, but also through years and years of change and growing acceptance of the LGBTQ+ community.

“It’s a great place for a lot of the younger lesbians to come out, you know, and they have no clue what it was like when it was not so accepting,” she said.

Even for Bobbi Moore, the bar’s general manager, it’s not so easy to remember. After all, she was just 14 when Slammers opened its doors.

“I see some people who say, I was here on the first day it opened, and then you have your younger generation coming up, looking for a safe space, and so, you have anywhere from 21 to 75 on any given day, sitting together in the same room,” Moore said.

Slammers Is Still Going Strong

American Idol Runner-Up Comes Out As Bisexual

One of “American Idol’s” more memorable runner-ups, David Archuleta, revealed that he identifies as bisexual and asexual. He is also encouraging people from religious backgrounds like his own to respect those that are wrestling with their own identities.

Archuleta, who placed second behind David Cook in 2008 during the show’s seventh season, came out in an emotional Instagram post on Saturday. The “Crush” singer also detailed his struggles to reconcile his sexual identity with his Mormon upbringing.

“I like to keep to myself but also thought this was important to share because I know so many other people from religious upbringings feel the same way,” Archuleta began. “I’ve been open to myself and my close family for some years now that I am not sure about my own sexuality. I came out in 2014 as gay to my family. But then I had similar feelings for both genders so maybe a spectrum of bisexual. Then I also have learned I don’t have too much sexual desires and urges as most people which works I guess because I have a commitment to save myself until marriage. Which people call asexual when they don’t experience sexual urges.”

Archuleta noted how easy it can be for LGBTQIA+ individuals to feel isolated in their struggles to understand themselves, a struggle that is often further complicated by religion. He invited people of faith to make room for “more understanding” and compassion for those reconciling such important elements of their identity.

“I think we can do better as people of faith and Christians, including Latter-day Saints,” he continued, “To listen more to the wrestle between being LGBTQIA+ and a person of faith. I don’t think it should come down to feeling you have to accept one or the other. For me to find peace the reality has been to accept both are real things I experience and make who I am….You can be part of the LGBTQIA+ community and still believe in God and His gospel plan.”

Transgender Doctor Alters Medical History

In February 1918 Alan L. Hart was a talented, up-and-coming 27-year-old intern at San Francisco Hospital. Hart, who stood at 5'4" and weighed about 120 pounds, mixed well with his colleagues at work and afterward—smoking, drinking, swearing and playing cards. His round glasses hemmed in his pensive eyes, a high white collar often flanked his dark tie, and his short hair was slicked neatly to the right. Though the young doctor’s alabaster face was smooth, he could deftly go through the motions of shaving with a safety razor. A photograph of a woman, who he had told colleagues was his wife, hung on his boarding-room wall.

Then, one day that February, Hart was gone. He left behind nothing but his razor, a stack of mail, a pile of men’s clothing—and the photograph, still gazing down from the wall.

Alberta Lucille Hart, known as Lucille, was born on October 4, 1890, in Halls Summit—a lonesome part of Kansas just west of the Missouri border. The child’s father Albert, a hay, grain and hog merchant, died two years later, and his widow Edna moved with Lucille to make a new start in Oregon. They eventually settled there in the pretty town of Albany, where the Calapooia and Willamette rivers twist together like twine into a single sprawling flow.

When Lucille Hart grew old enough to learn about her father’s death, she would comfort her mother: someday, she said, she would grow up to be a man, her mother’s caretaker. Hart often secretly fantasized about marrying her female high school teacher—reveries in which she also saw herself as a man.

Transgender Doctor Alters Medical History

GenderQueer Author, Activist and Rabbinical Student

Jericho Vincent, who describes themselves as “a post-ultra-Orthodox genderqueer Jew,” has given me permission to relay that I first encountered them after they published their affecting memoir, “Cut Me Loose: Sin and Salvation After My Ultra-Orthodox Girlhood,” under the name Leah. “I think of myself as a tree with many rings, and Leah is still inside of me,” they said.

Vincent said they had the biblical walls of Jericho in mind when they took their name. As described in the Book of Joshua, the walls were a symbol of the first battle the Israelites waged to conquer Canaan. Legend has it that the Israelites marched around the walls once every day for six days, followed by the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant. On the seventh day, the Israelites changed course and marched seven times around the walls. The priests blew their rams’ horns, and in combination with the Israelites’ shouting, the city’s walls famously fell.

Vincent’s personal and internal walls came tumbling down when they left ultra-Orthodoxy as a teenager. As recounted in their memoir, they told JewishBoston they “had been pushed out of my family. I was always a devout child, and I had this enormous spiritual life that had no community to hold it.” Vincent said that going through puberty in their Haredi community, they encountered unsettling biological and social expectations associated with their gender role assigned at birth. Increasingly uncomfortable in their new body, they had no framework to understand why they felt at war with their body.

Soon after, Vincent embarked on a spiritual journey. Along the way, some of the stops included spending time in Buddhist circles and, for a time, joining the Sufis, a mystical Islamic community. Twelve years ago, Vincent’s life changed again when they joined the emerging OTD community. OTD stands for “off the derech”—derech is the Hebrew word for “path,” and people in the group banded together after leaving ultra-Orthodox Judaism. Vincent pointed out that many of their peers “were passionate about their perspectives on Judaism and identity.”

GenderQueer Author, Activist and Rabbinical Student

Teach Kids to Be Allies

So many parents want to raise children who are LGBTQ allies, but it isn’t always clear how to do that instead of just paying lip service to the idea, particularly for non-LGBTQ families. These conversations can feel difficult, especially if you never had them in your own household growing up.

But parents should not assume allyship is something their child will just learn on their own, no matter how kind they are.

“Unfortunately, anti-LGBTQ policies and rhetoric are all too common in our communities and institutions. Children are incredibly perceptive and when they see people around them discriminating against LGBTQ people, whether it’s a school administrator, classmate or someone in public, they’re seeing that behavior as a norm,” explained Melanie Willingham-Jaggers, interim executive director of Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN), a group that works to make schools safe for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.

But raising good allies is definitely doable, and it can be done through simple but powerful daily strategies.

Teaching children to be LGBTQ+ allies can be done in simple but powerful ways, every single day. Here are 5 to have in mind.

Teach Kids to Be Allies

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: michaelflanagansf, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 10:30:22 AM »

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021

Meryl Streep's Fight For Anne on "Prada"

Anne Hathaway stirred up buzz at the start of 2021 by revealing she was the studio’s ninth choice to play Andrea “Andy” Sachs in “The Devil Wears Prada.” Which actress did Fox prefer to star opposite Meryl Streep in the 2006 comedy? Rachel McAdams was the top choice, but a new oral history of the film published by Entertainment Weekly also reveals Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Kate Hudson, and Kirsten Dunst were pursued before Hathaway was considered for the part. Through it all, Hathaway campaigned to get the part.

“I remember [Anne Hathaway] sitting on my sofa in my office and explaining why she wanted to do this, why she had to play this role, and giving script notes about the third act,” former Fox 2000 president Elizabeth Gabler told Entertainment Weekly. “When I look back on it, it wasn’t exactly what we ended up doing, but her sensibilities were completely aligned with what we ended up doing…Annie never gave up. She never stopped campaigning, calling, she came into [Fox executive] Carla Hacken’s office and wrote in her zen garden, ‘Hire me.'”

Even when the filmmaking team behind “The Devil Wears Prada” wanted to move ahead with Hathaway on board, the studio refused to advance. As director David Frankel said. “We started negotiating with Annie to make a deal, and that didn’t go well with the studio…We offered it to Rachel McAdams three times. The studio was determined to have her, and she was determined not to do it.”

What sealed the deal for Hathaway was a screening of Ang Lee’s acclaimed “Brokeback Mountain” that Streep saw while the studio was dancing around casting Hathaway in the film. Hathaway has a crucial supporting role in “Brokeback” as Lureen Newsome Twist, the wife of Jake Gyllenhaal’s Jack Twist. The character pivoted Hathaway’s career away from teen-friendly hits (“The Princess Diaries” franchise, “Ella Enchanted”) and toward more serious-minded drama. Streep was so impressed with Hathaway in “Brokeback” that she made a personal call to the then-chairman and chief executive officer of Fox to champion the actress.

Meryl Streep's Fight For "Prada"

Gay Dads Featured on Sesame Street

A new family stopped by Sesame Street during Pride month, featuring two gay fathers.

The show introduced the new characters Thursday as part of its "Family Day" episode.

The episode featured Dave and his husband, Frank. The two men have a daughter named Mia who they took to Sesame Street for the Family Day celebration.

The show didn’t provide any story background on the family, nor did it talk in-depth about the subject of same-sex marriages. However, in the end, Frank did have a message to the other families at the party.

"Yeah, there’s all kinds of different families," he said. "But what makes us a family is that we love each other."

Alan Muraoka, who plays "Alan" on the show, posted about the moment on his Facebook page.  "Love is love, and we are so happy to add this special family to our Sesame family. Happy Pride to all!!!!" he posted.

This isn’t the first time the subject of homosexuality crossed paths with the family-oriented educational show.   In 2018, the show’s producers cleared up social media rumors and said that characters Bert and Ernie were not gay.

Gay Dads Featured on Sesame Street

Madeline Davis Has Died

“I am a woman and a lesbian, a minority of minorities,” Madeline Davis told the 1972 Democratic National Convention in Miami Beach. “Now we are coming out of our closets and onto the convention floor.”

That speech was heard by few outside the Miami Beach Convention Center, delivered just after 5 a.m. on July 12, and the party platform plank that she and other gay and lesbian delegates were supporting — a proposal to enact anti-discrimination statutes to protect gay and lesbian Americans — did not pass.

But it was still a watershed day for lesbian and gay rights. In taking the dais, Davis, who died April 28 at age 80, stood as the first openly lesbian delegate to a national political convention in the United States. Along with Jim Foster, a gay delegate from San Francisco, she spoke to an increasingly progressive-leaning party that would nominate George McGovern, the liberal senator from South Dakota, for president.

In 2012, after the Democratic Party had included in its platform, for the first time, language about marriage equality, Davis reflected on her pioneering efforts decades earlier in an interview with NPR. “I’ve been working in gay rights for 40 years,” she said, “so I came to this information after a long journey, and I thought, Isn’t that nice?”

She died at her home in Amherst, New York, near Buffalo, from complications of a stroke, her wife, Wendy Smiley, said.

Davis began engaging with the lesbian community in 1957, although she did not come out until the 1960s, she told The Empty Closet, a gay publication based in Rochester, New York, in 2004. She began writing and performing folk songs early, and later added gay-liberation anthems to her repertoire.

Madeline Davis Has Died

One of “American Idol’s” more memorable runner-ups, David Archuleta, revealed that he identifies as bisexual and asexual. He is also encouraging people from religious backgrounds like his own to respect those that are wrestling with their own identities.

Archuleta, who placed second behind David Cook in 2008 during the show’s seventh season, came out in an emotional Instagram post on Saturday. The “Crush” singer also detailed his struggles to reconcile his sexual identity with his Mormon upbringing.

“I like to keep to myself but also thought this was important to share because I know so many other people from religious upbringings feel the same way,” Archuleta began. “I’ve been open to myself and my close family for some years now that I am not sure about my own sexuality. I came out in 2014 as gay to my family. But then I had similar feelings for both genders so maybe a spectrum of bisexual. Then I also have learned I don’t have too much sexual desires and urges as most people which works I guess because I have a commitment to save myself until marriage. Which people call asexual when they don’t experience sexual urges.”

Archuleta noted how easy it can be for LGBTQIA+ individuals to feel isolated in their struggles to understand themselves, a struggle that is often further complicated by religion. He invited people of faith to make room for “more understanding” and compassion for those reconciling such important elements of their identity.

“I think we can do better as people of faith and Christians, including Latter-day Saints,” he continued, “To listen more to the wrestle between being LGBTQIA+ and a person of faith. I don’t think it should come down to feeling you have to accept one or the other. For me to find peace the reality has been to accept both are real things I experience and make who I am….You can be part of the LGBTQIA+ community and still believe in God and His gospel plan.”

Transgender Students Protected by Biden Administration

The U.S. Education Department on Wednesday expanded its interpretation of federal sex protections to include transgender and gay students, a move that reverses Trump-era policy and stands against proposals in many states to bar transgender girls from school sports.

In a new policy directive, the department said discrimination based on a student's sexual orientation or gender identity will be treated as a violation of Title IX, the 1972 federal law that protects against sex discrimination in education.

The decision is based on last year's landmark Supreme Court ruling protecting gay, lesbian and transgender people from discrimination in employment, according to agency officials. A legal analysis by the department concluded there is "no persuasive or well-founded basis" to treat education differently.

In announcing the shift, Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said gay, lesbian and transgender students "have the same rights and deserve the same protections" as workers.

"Today, the Department makes clear that all students — including LGBTQ+ students — deserve the opportunity to learn and thrive in schools that are free from discrimination," Cardona said in a statement.

Transgender Students Protected by Biden Administration

Asexuality is Still "So Unknown"

Growing up, Noelie Boardman felt like there was something different about her.

“As I hit puberty, I noticed a lot of people around me were getting into relationships and talking about sex, especially in high school,” Boardman, a 2021 Simpson College graduate and now age 23, said. “That was just never a thing I cared about. It wasn’t something I was interested in.”

The 23-year-old recalled how one day as a high school junior she scrolled through Tumblr, a social media website. She stumbled upon a blog about asexuality.

“I was like, ‘What is this?’ I started reading it and was like, ‘Hmm, this sounds sort of cool.’ As it started to marinate in my brain, I started to realize that everything they were talking about hit a little too close to home,” she said.

Boardman realized she was asexual.

The Asexual Visibility & Education Network or AVEN describes an asexual person, also called an ace person, as someone “not drawn to other people sexually and do not desire to act upon attraction to others in a sexual way.”

Asexuality is Still "So Unknown"

How to Be An Ally

June is Pride Month, a time to celebrate and recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and internationally.

Optum Idaho Deputy Director Casey Moyer sat down with KTVB's Chase Biefeldt to talk about ways to support LGBTQ+ members of the community.

"Pride Month is celebrated annually in June and it is really to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Riots in which members of the LGBT community rose up to resist police harassment and persecution that was taking place in New York," Moyer said. "This uprising marked the beginning of a movement to change discriminatory laws and practices against LGBT Americans as well as bring visibility to an often unseen and marginalized group of people."

Moyer added that the LGBTQ+ community has made strides in recent years, pointing to the win on marriage equality. But members of that group can still be at a higher risk for behavioral health symptoms and disorders.

Teenagers who identify as LGBTQ are six more times likely to have symptoms of depression than straight teens, he said, and four times as likely to attempt suicide. Adults are also affected.

"Thirty-one percent of LGBTQ older adults report depressive symptoms, while 39% report serious thoughts of taking their own lives," he said. "Forty-eight percent of transgender adults considered suicide in ]the last year, compared to 4 percent of the overall U.S. population. We need to do better and support our neighbors."

How to Be An Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:31:37 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »

Tuesday, June 29th, 2021

Improvisation From Heath?

The hospital scene will always stand out for fans of both Heath Ledger and fans of “The Dark Knight“. It is an iconic scene, and the rumor mill churns out frequent rumors of it being completely improvised by Ledger. We have to ask, “Is this a rumor mill that is fact or fiction?” Here is the truth on whether the scene was complete improvisation or something more.

According to Screenrant, director Christopher Nolan was only given one chance to blow up an actual building for The Dark Knight’s filming. In the scene, as it played out on film, Joker walks out as bombs explode. When the anticipated bombs do not go off as expected, Joker is, at first, confused, then startled by the final big explosion.

Was it pure movie magic or something much more impressive?

Although there is a chance that Ledger makes the scene more spectacular just by being so much fun to watch during the pause, it was a planned event from start to finish. His reactions were perfect and exactly what we would expect if we the ones wearing the Joker Face.

The truth behind the scene is that the building was going to be destroyed either way. It was Nolan’s foresight that had him convince the owner to let him blow it up instead.

The cast had one shot to bring down an actual building that was filled with explosives. The hope was that movie magic would be created in that short amount of time, so nothing at all could be left to chance.

Improvisation From Heath?

Carl Nassib And Coming Out

This week, Carl Nassib, a defensive end for the Las Vegas Raiders, came out as gay on Instagram. He’s the first active player in the NFL to be out publicly — a major milestone for men’s sports. Nassib’s announcement was quickly supported by the NFL community and his team, making it seem like his roster spot will be safe for the upcoming season. In a masculine, cutthroat league where players can be released at a moment’s notice for any reason, broad acceptance of Nassib marks a shift.

Nassib is not the first high-profile football player to come out — that would be Wade Davis in 2012. However, Davis did not play in a regular season game, and he came out after retiring. On the eve of the 2014 NFL draft, another player, Michael Sam, came out. Sam was eventually drafted by the St. Louis Rams, but was cut by the team before the season began. After a short stint with the Montreal Alouettes in Canada, Sam retired.

While Sam has avoided the spotlight since retiring, Davis has become an activist and public speaker. In the aftermath of Nassib’s announcement, Davis spoke with Vox on what goes through an athlete’s mind when they play while closeted, and what steps he thinks both the NFL and society need to take to foster a culture of acceptance.

The following, in Wade Davis’s words, has been condensed and edited.

Carl Nassib And Coming Out

Happy Lesbian Movies

This Pride, we need to have a very serious discussion about an issue facing the LGBTQ+ community: Why are lesbian movies such a bummer?

Seriously, most prominent lesbian and queer-women cinema falls into certain, very dismal categories: Lesbians But They Have to Hide Because It’s Also the War of 1812 or Something (The Favourite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Ammonite); Lesbian Actually Just Wanted Man This Whole Time, Glad We Figured That Out (Chasing Amy, The Kids Are All Right); Sad 😞 (Blue Is the Warmest Color, Disobedience, Pariah).

These movies aren’t necessarily bad. In fact, many of them are critically acclaimed and have gone on to win or be nominated for many high-profile awards. Queer women themselves will often cite one or more of these movies among their favorites in the WLW genre. (WLW stands for “Woman Loving Woman,” for those of you who were not raised by the tag section of Wattpad.)

Still, most of these movies focus on the struggles of queer womanhood and none of them are a breezy watch, to say the least. It seems that finding a WLW movie that actually celebrates queer joy — not to mention squeezes in a few laughs — is an extreme sport.

Well, call me Tony Hawk: Pro Skater, because I’ve cobbled together the best lighthearted lesbian and WLW movies available to stream. For context, to earn a spot on this list, each of these movies had to meet strict criteria:

1. The WLW story line must be the main story line or part of the story line of the main character.  2. None of the WLW die.  3. The movie is not required to have a Happy Ending™, but is instead required to maintain Happy Vibes™ throughout the majority of the movie

Happy Lesbian Movies

Loki Confirmed As Bisexual

Hours after the third episode of "Loki" premiered on Disney+, the show's director confirmed the titular character is bisexual, making Loki the first queer lead character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In the episode, Tom Hiddleston's Loki has a conversation with Sylvie (Sophia Di Martino), an alternate-reality female version of himself, about his love interests.

"What about you? You're a prince," Sylvie says to Loki. "Must have been would-be princesses. Or perhaps another prince?"

"A bit of both," Loki responds. "I suspect the same as you."

"Loki" director Kate Herron confirmed the character's sexuality in a tweet Wednesday, adding that "it was very important to me, and my goal, to acknowledge Loki was bisexual."

She added: "It is a part of who he is and who I am too. I know this is a small step but I’m happy, and heart is so full, to say that this is now Canon in #mcu #Loki."

The confirmation of Loki's sexuality comes amid fan criticism of Marvel's lack of representation of LGBTQ characters, despite their appearance in the Marvel comics. (Comic writers had previously indicated Loki was bisexual.)

Loki Confirmed As Bisexual

Zeman Insults Transgender People

Czech President Milos Zeman, commenting on a Hungarian law that bans LGBT material from schools, told a television interview on Sunday that he finds transgender people "disgusting".

Zeman, who has often espoused views outside the mainstream, was responding to a question about the law Hungary passed earlier this month, which bans the dissemination of content in schools deemed to promote homosexuality and gender change.

"If you undergo a sex-change operation you are basically committing a crime of self-harm," Zeman told CNN Prima. "Every surgery is a risk and these transgender people to me are disgusting."

The Hungarian law has been strongly criticised by opposition parties at home, rights groups and by many of Hungary's fellow European Union members. At an EU summit last week, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte told Hungarian premier Viktor Orban to respect LGBT rights or leave the bloc.

More than half of the EU's 27 member states have opposed the law but so far the Czechs have not done so. Zeman said the condemnation amounted to meddling in a country's internal affairs.

Czech presidents have limited executive powers but Zeman and his predecessors have had a strong influence on public debate. The president has also leaned toward Russia and China and criticized immigration from Muslim countries.

Zeman Insults Transgender People

Hugh Sheridan Comes Out as Non Binary

Actor Hugh Sherdian has shared that they identify as non-binary.

The Packed to the Rafters star revealed how they feels about their gender in an Instagram post that highlighted their cover shoot for the latest edition of DNA magazine.

The cover shoot features Sheridan locked in an embrace with fiancé Kurt Roberts. The back and white photo oozes old Hollywood style.

Sheridan restated that they are not a big believer in labels and prefer to just be thought of as a human, or even a Hughman.

In the new edition of DNA they share more about his experience of opening up about their sexuality and gender identity.

“I’d begun to publicly acknowledge being gay. A lot of people were congratulating me; a lot of people were angry and unkind to me about being open about my sexuality,” they told the magazine.

“I just want to be human.” they declared.

Hugh Sheridan Comes Out as Non Binary

How to Be An Ally

June is Pride Month, a time to celebrate and recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and internationally.

Optum Idaho Deputy Director Casey Moyer sat down with KTVB's Chase Biefeldt to talk about ways to support LGBTQ+ members of the community.

"Pride Month is celebrated annually in June and it is really to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Riots in which members of the LGBT community rose up to resist police harassment and persecution that was taking place in New York," Moyer said. "This uprising marked the beginning of a movement to change discriminatory laws and practices against LGBT Americans as well as bring visibility to an often unseen and marginalized group of people."

Moyer added that the LGBTQ+ community has made strides in recent years, pointing to the win on marriage equality. But members of that group can still be at a higher risk for behavioral health symptoms and disorders.

Teenagers who identify as LGBTQ are six more times likely to have symptoms of depression than straight teens, he said, and four times as likely to attempt suicide. Adults are also affected.

"Thirty-one percent of LGBTQ older adults report depressive symptoms, while 39% report serious thoughts of taking their own lives," he said. "Forty-eight percent of transgender adults considered suicide in ]the last year, compared to 4 percent of the overall U.S. population. We need to do better and support our neighbors."

How to Be An Ally

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives