The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Diner - Fabulous 51!  (Read 39148 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: The Diner - Fabulous 51!
« Reply #5745 on: January 24, 2023, 07:00:27 PM »
Good morning Diners!

:)

I just tested negative for Covid.  :)   However, I've decided not to bowl tonight.  Given it has only been one day, I don't want to take a chance on possibly giving it to anyone.
Good Decision, Chuck!!  ;D

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #5746 on: January 24, 2023, 07:02:03 PM »
It's been a very pretty morning here: sunny and clear, though a bit chilly because of the wind. I am feeling much better today. I was able to take a shower and wash my hair (carefully). What a pleasure to feel clean! :)

Today is the last day of the more restrictive first week post op. I'm going to call over to the doctor's office and check on how much I can do safely about cleaning my eye; I have a condition which is usually treated by rubbing a pad of mild soap across each lid, including the eyelashes. I also put in saline drops. I'm not sure if it's safe to resume that for my right eye.

The blurriness does seem to be improving, though I don't know how long it will take to return to normal. I'm thrilled that I can stop wearing the eye shield to sleep and taking drops 4 times a day. I now do only once a day for the next 30 days. Of course, I'm scheduled for my second surgery on the 15th of February, so the last week of drops for the right eye coincides with the first week post op of the left eye. Oy!
Sounds like PROGRESS, Jenny, stay with it!!  ;D ;D ;D

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #5747 on: January 24, 2023, 07:12:22 PM »
You said it, Jonn!  I miss her, as we all do, but she can't be concerned with pleasing us or not hurting our feelings right now.  She's got herself to think about right now, and that's all that matters.  She'll be back when she's ready to come back.

Yeah, I miss her here too.

I know she misses being here as well, but between her focusing on getting better, doing her chores,  and everything else she needs to do, I'm sure she's exhausted by the end of the day.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #5748 on: January 24, 2023, 07:12:34 PM »
OKAY!! Finally, I do believe I'm all caught up in The Diner, and with my responses to some posts!! I feel like a PEST in here tonight though!!  :o :o :o :P :P :P :

Off to watch my recorded shows now!! Have a GREAT DAY/EVENING, Diner people!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5749 on: January 24, 2023, 07:16:10 PM »
You need to stay on task with those balance exercises, Deb! A lifesaver for many. Have you, or your Dr recommended more visits with a PT person? I can't remember what started your balancing issues anyway, the surgery last Summer stopped them for a while, right? I know ONE thing about PT, it WORKS, but you have to do it on schedule. I'm a true believer in that.  ;D

Actually, the PT people said I'd "graduated" and could manage on my own from there on out.  One doctor thought some more PT might be helpful, right after surgery, but I think I'm getting back to where I can manage the exercises at home, if I stick with them.

I've had some setbacks in doing that lately: a cold, and headaches, where I just didn't feel like doing the exercises.  I also AM supposed to take naps and rest with my feet elevated, to relieve ankle swelling, so I don't consider naps "goofing off."  They also relieve headaches.

But I hope I'm back in the swing of things now.  I did a good number of exercises yesterday, and then every single one today, even though my PT schedule never called for doing them ALL on one day.  They cautioned about overdoing it.  But I'll keep plugging away at them.

As for actual PT in the clinic:  that would require a long drive (25 minutes each way) each time, and as I just indicated in a previous post, I'm having a hard time getting out to get into my car on the sloping driveway, still, since surgery made my balance worse, somehow.  And Maureen couldn't go with me to PT, because there's no place for her to wait up there.  So I would want to be able to drive myself, alone, before (if ever) I went back to PT.

I do think the machines in the clinic might be helpful (like the leg press), but that's not an option at the moment.  So for now, the best thing to do is keep working on everything at home.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 07:27:06 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5750 on: January 24, 2023, 07:21:05 PM »
I can't remember what started your balancing issues anyway, the surgery last Summer stopped them for a while, right?

Yes, the surgery stopped all exercises for a while, but I'm basically healed from surgery.  I'm still not walking as well as I did before surgery, though.  I have to take two canes (a four-footed cane and a single-point cane), one in each hand, to go down to my curbside mailbox, or out to my car by myself.

I think I'm doing the sidewalk between the house and the curb a little faster now, than a couple of months ago, so the balance seems to be improving.

As to what started the balance problems, I don't really know.  I was checked out by a neurologist and it couldn't really be determined, but didn't seem to be from any serious illness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 07:27:47 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5751 on: January 24, 2023, 07:23:52 PM »
OKAY!! Finally, I do believe I'm all caught up in The Diner, and with my responses to some posts!! I feel like a PEST in here tonight though!!  :o :o :o :P :P :P :

Off to watch my recorded shows now!! Have a GREAT DAY/EVENING, Diner people!!  ;D ;D ;D

No, you weren't a pest, Jonn.  You asked some really good questions tonight.  It's good to have you back.

Enjoy your recorded shows.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5752 on: January 24, 2023, 08:03:44 PM »
Chuck, I won't be able to do as many exercises tomorrow, probably, because I have a telephone appointment with a doctor and will have to be getting ready for that beforehand.

But I looked over today's box on my "exercise & rest" calendar:
13 different exercises completed,
plus walked to the curbside mailbox in the AM,
plus a nap.

I'd say that was a full day.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #5753 on: January 24, 2023, 08:22:22 PM »
Good night, everyone and anyone who's still here.  Not sure anyone is, though.   ;)
Jack's from Texas.

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #5754 on: January 25, 2023, 03:06:29 AM »

Bonjour! Yet another grey day.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5755 on: January 25, 2023, 03:06:48 AM »

Still busy with administrative work concerning my parents' legacy and fiscal affairs. Apparently, it never really ends.
Certainly less than before - but still so much to do.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5756 on: January 25, 2023, 03:13:01 AM »
I read All Quiet on the Western Front, and the 1930s movie, which was brilliant. I don't know that I want to see another version. It's a harrowing story of the ghastly effects of war on the very young men who enlisted. They were prompted by nationalism and tales of heroic victory. They are German soldiers who suffer from PTSD as well as hunger, wounds, and the deaths of comrades. It is from the German perspective, but the story is not all that different from those of the English or French combatants.

It was hated by many Germans, and most passionately by the Nazis. They burned the book early on. Other countries also saw it as antiwar propaganda and destroyed copies of it. AFAIK, this is the first version made by Germans, directed by Germans, and acted by Germans.

Exactly, dear Jennyleinchen.

Like you, I certainly don't want to see another new version of the movie.

As you say, Remarque's novel & the early movie are universal messages of peace, which, alas, ring true, in every armed conflict ever since.

This is of course potentially very dangerous for EVERY government.
From their point of view, pacifism must be banned at any rate.

For the world's rulers, pacifism is the biggest threat. As it is for every belligerent country on our planet.
(As we can notice right now if we think about all the current wars and conflicts.)

WISE UP

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5757 on: January 25, 2023, 03:13:18 AM »
I miss her too, Ing!! But, she's gotta do what she's gotta do right now! Trust her surgery will be a success!!  ;)

:) :) :)
WISE UP

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5758 on: January 25, 2023, 03:13:39 AM »
You should be here, My Man!! We've had a LOT of falling Snow, all day, Large Flakes, NO WIND!! Perfect Winter Scene, and it's NOT sticking on the roads yet either!!  ;D

Send it over to me, dear Jonn!
WISE UP

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5759 on: January 25, 2023, 03:15:02 AM »
Have you even been to Wurtemburg, or Baden/Wurtemburg?? I just found out that's where my Great Grandparents were from......gee, took me FOREVER to figure that out! I thought they were all from the Unkel towns/provinces there, who knew? My parents NEVER talked or shared about their European ancestors, not sure why?!  :o

Well, we actually LIVE in Baden-Württemberg, but on the Baden side (Western half).

(Württemberg is further east, the area around Stuttgart.)
WISE UP