The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 261908 times)

jayiijay

Re: Theatre
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2006, 10:23:55 PM »
SINNE:

I actually saw Michael Cerveris has Hedwig.  He was terrific, a different take on the role.  He also played the title role in Tommy on Broadway in 1993.  He won a Tony a couple of years ago for Assassins, and stands a strong chance at winning again as Sweeney (though he'll have stiff competition).

I wasn't a big fan of "Blue Room".  Friends told me to sit in the front mezzanine all the way to the side to get the best possible view of Nicole Kidman naked, which I did, and which was the show's highlight, LOL.

Lea Delaria's number in "On the Town" was "I Can Cook Too".  It was great.  Was shocked she didn't get a Tony nomination for it.

What else have you seen?  Come back to NYC, there is a lot of great stuff on Broadway right now, like History Boys, Sweeney, Light in the Piazza, Doubt, Drowsy Chaperone, etc.

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2006, 10:33:34 PM »
SINNE:

I actually saw Michael Cerveris has Hedwig.  He was terrific, a different take on the role.  He also played the title role in Tommy on Broadway in 1993.  He won a Tony a couple of years ago for Assassins, and stands a strong chance at winning again as Sweeney (though he'll have stiff competition).

I wasn't a big fan of "Blue Room".  Friends told me to sit in the front mezzanine all the way to the side to get the best possible view of Nicole Kidman naked, which I did, and which was the show's highlight, LOL.

Lea Delaria's number in "On the Town" was "I Can Cook Too".  It was great.  Was shocked she didn't get a Tony nomination for it.

What else have you seen?  Come back to NYC, there is a lot of great stuff on Broadway right now, like History Boys, Sweeney, Light in the Piazza, Doubt, Drowsy Chaperone, etc.

I'm 3000 miles from NYC - haven't been back since before 9/11.  If I ever hear John Cameron Mitchell is in anything - or Hedwig is back onstage in NY I'd seriously consider it.  Lucky you to have seen so much theatre....  Did Lea Delaria do anything on Broadway since?  She could have done anything Ethel Merman did eh?  I did see "Hair" in San Francisco in 1970 and various things in Toronto and Vancouver....  Many, MANY more films than theatre though - thousands!  Keep posting about what - and who - you see.  I'll live vicariously through you!   :D
Brokeback Got Me Good

jayiijay

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »
SINNE: 

Lea did The Rocky Horror Picture Show (a lot of fun), and a benefit concert of Hair (which I missed).  Loved the 1979 movie when it came out, but viewed it again for the first time since about a year ago, was a bit disappointed.  Wonder if they'll ever do a Broadway revival, nudity and all.

If Hedwig or John Cameron Mitchell returns, I will be sure to let you know.  Thanks!

downloaded1

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »
I really must be the only one that didnt like "Hedwig".
Oh, well. ::)

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2006, 10:40:29 PM »
SINNE: 

Lea did The Rocky Horror Picture Show (a lot of fun), and a benefit concert of Hair (which I missed).  Loved the 1979 movie when it came out, but viewed it again for the first time since about a year ago, was a bit disappointed.  Wonder if they'll ever do a Broadway revival, nudity and all.

If Hedwig or John Cameron Mitchell returns, I will be sure to let you know.  Thanks!

That would be fantastic!  Thanks! Yeah, I was very disappointed in the movie "Hair".  It was way too late.  Should have been done at the time.  Being a fan of theatre, I'm sure you know who Joe Orton is.  I've posted about him a few times on various threads but not much interest.  Have you seen the film "Prick Up Your Ears"?  If not, do!  I'd love to see more of his plays done.  I think "Entertaining Mr. Sloane" is on Broadway right now and got pretty good reviews.
Brokeback Got Me Good

jayiijay

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2006, 10:46:39 PM »
I agree, Prick Up Your Ears was terrific.  Put Gary Oldman & Alfred Molina on the map, and Vanessa Redgrave should have gotten a supporting actress nomination.

The reviews for the off-Broadway revival of Entertaining Mr. Sloane were mixed.  I didn't like it very much, though I didn't think it was bad.  Alec Baldwin was too obviously leering without menace, and Chris Carmack was kind of dull.  Richard Easton is a great actor but he didn't do much.  Jan Maxwell, another great theater actress, came off best as the lustful yet matronly sister.

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2006, 11:35:51 PM »
I agree, Prick Up Your Ears was terrific.  Put Gary Oldman & Alfred Molina on the map, and Vanessa Redgrave should have gotten a supporting actress nomination.

The reviews for the off-Broadway revival of Entertaining Mr. Sloane were mixed.  I didn't like it very much, though I didn't think it was bad.  Alec Baldwin was too obviously leering without menace, and Chris Carmack was kind of dull.  Richard Easton is a great actor but he didn't do much.  Jan Maxwell, another great theater actress, came off best as the lustful yet matronly sister.

Wow - you do see everthing!  Did you ever see the film "Entertaining Mr. Sloane"?  I thought everyone in it was perfect and Peter McEnery was a revelation - after only seeing him onscreen as Hayley Mills' first kiss! 
Brokeback Got Me Good

downloaded1

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2006, 11:38:45 PM »
I agree, Prick Up Your Ears was terrific.  Put Gary Oldman & Alfred Molina on the map

And I thought it was "Sid and Nancy".

- :o

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2006, 11:45:16 PM »
SINNE:

Jay - I just thought of another one!  I saw "Fully Committed" with Mark McKinney from "Kids in the Hall" in Vancouver and LOVED it!  My sister had seen it in San Francisco (where it originated I think) and recommended it to me.  Did you ever see it?  Hilarious!
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2006, 11:47:21 PM »
I agree, Prick Up Your Ears was terrific.  Put Gary Oldman & Alfred Molina on the map

And I thought it was "Sid and Nancy".

- :o

I can't remember which I saw first.  Gary Oldman was incredible in both but I much prefer "Prick Up Your Ears" and have seen it several times.  "Sid and Nancy" I could only sit through once, good as it was.
Brokeback Got Me Good

downloaded1

« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2006, 11:48:43 PM »
I was kind of just joking about the Sid and Nancy.
But yes, he was good in both.

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2006, 11:57:16 PM »
Jayiijay, a show can be more than the sum of its parts. For me, ''The Lion King'' works on the whole better than ''Ragtime.''

The Tonys have split these things before. ''Into the Woods'' won for best book and score, but ''Phantom'' won for best musical.

Glad you saw ''The History Boys.'' Very witty and literate, but it might be too British and dry and highbrow for others. Without giving it away, there's an aspect to the main sympathetic character (Richard Griffiths) that some will find very troubling. But the gay themes in it are universal. And Samuel Barnett, who plays the gay prep student, is heartbreaking when he sings ''Bewitched.''

jayiijay

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2006, 12:16:18 PM »
WAYMAN:

With you on History Boys.  Found the whole thing exhilirating, hilarious and moving.  I think most people will get it, though I am with you on the Richard Griffiths thing - some will have problems with it, others won't.  Still not sure what I think myself, though Arts & Leisure 4/16 says the British sensibility about that kind of thing is more liberal than ours.

There have been many book/score vs. musical splits (most recently Urinetown winning book/score/director but losing musical to Millie; thought that was gonna happen re: Ave. Q & Wicked, was wrong), but I find them troubling.  Give the art awards to the more deserving show, but give the big money prize to the bigger hit, which ironically needs the award less. 

DOWNLOADED1:  Agree re: Sid & Nancy.  Chloe Webb was also terrific.  But hard to sit through.

SINNE:  I don't see everything, but yeah, I see a lot, especially this time of year.  Last week I saw 4 shows, something I've never done before and hopefully will never do again, it was too much (just worked out that way).   Never saw the Sloane movie, curious now that you mentioned it.  Also loved Fully Committed, great fun. 

Thanks!

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2006, 08:41:28 PM »
Cherry Jones held hands with her girlfriend, Michael Cerveris (Sweeney Todd) held hands with his boyfriend, a nice site you sure don't see at the Oscars.
I saw him in Tommy and developed a HUGE crush on him. :)

Does anyone remember Cherry Jones' girlfriend name?  I can see her face but I can't remember her name.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

jayiijay

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »
CARISSA:

Cherry's partner is Mary O'Connor.  She is an architect.

Cherry is a remarkable actress, on par with Meryl Streep.  Nobody knows who she is because she doesn't do movies, but I strongly encourage all theater lovers to catch anything she is in when you get the chance.

Michael Cerveris is really talented.  An amazing Sweeney Todd: hyper-focused homicidal yet sympathetic!