The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 260154 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: Theatre
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
My SIL just told me about it on Friday night, I am not familiar with that theatre, but I am most definitley going to check it out.  I would love to see HAIR.

As for the guy in Old Man River he actually got a standing ovation after his number, the night we were there.

And the last time I saw Les Mis it was an unknown in the lead and he was AMAZING, he sang "bring him home" and again the whole place was on their feet.

They generally leave standing O's to the end.

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 10:52:57 PM »
Seems to me that theater is tricky to discuss because we are exposed to different offerings depending upon where we live.  In an attempt to "universalize" the discussion, below I will post a favorites lists, in no particular order;

Some plays that made great movies:
1.  A Man for All Seasons
2.  Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
3.  Henry V (1945/6, Olivier version)
4.  Becket
5.  A Streetcar Named Desire

Some Broadway musicals that made great movies:
1.  Cabaret
2.  The Sound of Music (much better as a movie, director Robert Wise opened it up so well)
3.  West Side Story (though Richard Beymer wasn't very good)
4. 1776 (one of the first movies I ever saw (or at least remember), at Radio City Hall no less, loved it)
5. Oliver! (controversial because it beat the likes of non-nominated 2001 for the Oscar (insane), it is still a very good, stylish film)

Some movies that made great musicals:
1.  The Producers
2.  Light in the Piazza
3.  Hairspray
4.  Tommy
5.  Kiss of the Spider Woman

Some books that made great musicals:
1.  Les Miz (who would've thought?)
2.  Ragtime (I know, was a movie too, but the musical was more faithful to the book)
3.  South Pacific
4.  Kiss Me, Kate
5.  My Fair Lady (again, who would've thought?)

Offline adamblast

• Obsessed
  • that's where our hearts both belong
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 11:19:36 PM »
How I'd love to see the version of Sweeney that's on Broadway now.  I've seen several great versions, and it's a dream role I still hope to play.  I'm starring in Macbeth and Three Musketeers this summer for a local semi-pro Shakespeare Festival in central California.  They do two plays in repertory every summer (same cast) and to star in both is a real honor for someone who walked in on a cold audition.  I can't wait to get started rehearsing in May. 

My favorite plays are Long Day's Journey and Moon For the Misbegotten, I think. 

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2006, 12:38:46 AM »
Once again, I'm going to take this opportunity to bring up "Hedwig and the Angry Inch".  While I did not see it on stage (Damn!  and I was in NY twice in 1998 - and even saw Nicole Kidman in "The Blue Room") I have seen the film over 30 times.  Did anyone catch it on stage?  Rent the film if you haven't.  It's fabulous!!!  Also caught "On the Town" in NY in 1998 with the show-stopping number by Lea Delaria.

.... I saw "Hair" on stage in San Francisco in 1970 and loved it!

I'd love to see "Grey Gardens" on Broadway.  The documentary is great! 
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2006, 10:56:17 AM »
Jayiijay, I'm so glad you're gonna see ''Grey Gardens.'' Hope you enjoy it. If for nothing else, there's Ebersole's tour de force.

As for whether it's ''tricky'' to discuss theater, it's all over. It doesn't just have to be Broadway; there are tours and there's regional theater. And since this site is devoted to so many gay and gay-themed topics, how could you not include theater? ;)

And it's only a matter of time before someone turns ''Brokeback'' into a Broadway musical. Is that a good idea or a bad one? 

Gonzo

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »
I have an interest in opera.  Don't claim to be an expert or anything, but I thought this might make a great opera and suggested so in another forum.  Somebody, rightly, pointed out that the main character barely even speaks.  What is he going to sing?  As much as I would like to see something like that I really think it is a pretty bad idea.  No sequel, no musical, no opera.  Not for me.  BBM as is perfect.

Offline BocaGarrett

• Experienced
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 11:23:57 AM »
And it's only a matter of time before someone turns ''Brokeback'' into a Broadway musical. Is that a good idea or a bad one?

I could see Brokeback done as a drama on stage before I could see it as a musical.  I'm not totally sure it would work as a musical, for one thing it has such a downbeat ending.  Most musicals I can recall seem to have upbeat endings, although there are of course, exceptions like "West Side Story."

Hmmmmm...Brokeback as a musical, I'll have to think about that one.

Gonzo

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »
Another thought.  The Mountain.  How can you come anywhere near reproducing that.  While a theatre stage is at least as large as a movie screen I don't think you can capture that.  Plus, where are you going to put the sheep?  BAAAA

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2006, 11:58:54 AM »
Another thought.  The Mountain.  How can you come anywhere near reproducing that.  While a theatre stage is at least as large as a movie screen I don't think you can capture that.  Plus, where are you going to put the sheep?  BAAAA

I definitely CAN'T see BBM as a musical but I CAN see it as a stage play.  I think it would translate very well, once you figure out what to do about the sheep and the horses.  But, as I mentioned before, they managed to convey horses in "Equus" so it's not impossible.  But, no singing Ennis and Jack - pleeze!!!
Brokeback Got Me Good

jayiijay

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 06:24:11 PM »
WAYMON WONG:

Of course I know there is much more than Broadway, I think I said it in my post.  But since we all have such different theater experiences (as opposed to tv, movies & even books), I thought it would be fun to compare lists.  Obviously thus far nobody agrees, LOL.

Brokeback on stage: no offense, BAD idea.

Can't wait to see Grey Gardens, will let you know what I think.  The rumor is it will transfer to Broadway, but nothing yet.  Thanks.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 06:33:26 PM »
West Side Story, Evita and Oliver are three I saw live where I actually enjoyed the movie better.

I am anxious to see Color Purple live, I think that might be good - good book, good movie.

Les Mis is one I have never read funny enough, I have a copy, just never bothered to read it.   :P  LOVE the live version.

Hey how about cartoons that make good musicals................like LION KING!   :D

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »
LOLA: 

I also preferred the film versions of West Side Story & Oliver!, though I thought the movie of Evita started great but the second half fell apart.

I found Color Purple to be disappointing as a musical on account of the too-eclectic music.  Also thought the movie was a bit cartoonish at times - but I love the book.

Les Miz is a fantastic musical.  The book is long, but well worth the read, one of my favorites ever.  I was very glad to have seen the musical (and 1935 film version) before reading it, makes it easier re: names.

Lion King was good primarily because of Julie Taymor's vivid creations.  I don't know if You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and Annie qualify as cartoons (comic strips of course, but they have also been animated), but I like them both.  Was disappointed by the stage version of Beauty and the Beast, not because it was bad, but because it mimicked the musical without suiting it more to the stage.  The movie is also one of my 5 favorites of the 1990s, a real work of art.  I saw it during its first week at the end of 1991 and remember people applauding after several musical numbers, like being at a show.  Tarzan is currently previewing in NYC, the jury is out!

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »
LOLA: 

I also preferred the film versions of West Side Story & Oliver!, though I thought the movie of Evita started great but the second half fell apart...

Loved Annie by the way.  And I will make sure and read Les Mis for sure, even though I have long since memorized all their names.

Another one I really liked that also made a good movie was Camelot.  It starred Richard Harris and it was a nice light hearted play.  The movie was alot more serious but I really did like it.   In fact I have watched just about every movie version of the King Arthur story and enjoyed them.

I have a question, does everyone remember the first time they went to the theatre and what they saw?

The first time we went we saw CATS!

I enjoyed it, my husband loved it, I think he just loved those girls in their body suits.  I have to admit Rum tum Tugger looked pretty good!  :o

I had the soundtrack for years on cassette.  As we know longer own any type of cassette player I should replace it with a CD.

Cute story about the music from Cats.   We took a cruise a couple of years agao and they had amateur night, about a dozen or so people were scheduled to perform in some way and they were all BAD

The last one to go up was a very large heavy set woman, in her 60's, retired school teacher.  I thought what in the world is she going to do.  She actually needed help to get up on stage (she walked with a cane) and when she got up there they had to get her in a chair.

She sang "Memories" from Cats, and by the time she finished the whole place was on their feet and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

Anyway do you remember your first theatre experience?

I know for my kids it was Phantom and they loved it!!

FUNGURL

Gonzo

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »
Anyway do you remember your first theatre experience?

First live performance was the "Barber of Seville"  A touring company came to Galveston and it was performed in an old rundown 1894 opera house just prior to restoration.  The seats were old skanky velvet that had lost most of its nap.  What was left penetrated my shirt like little needles.  Needless to say, I don't remember much of the show.  I was about 15-16.  Not a lot of live theatre in Galveston in those days.  I have seen "Barber..." as an adult and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
Wow, how great to see this thread.  Just some suggestions for anyone near NYC
Glad to see some of you are already going to see "Grey Gardens".  It is good but you really don't want to miss Ebersole.  Pretty "iffy" for this moving to Broadway due to fact that "Souvenir" did not transfer well even tho it was quite good, it was just too expensive to keep on BW.

Do not miss "Sweeney Todd".  Complaints by some regarding the Doyle treatment but I certainly do not agree.  It is a beautiful production.
"Doubt" is still excellent with the new cast.  Would really like to hear from anyone who has seen it since the cast change to compare notes on whether or not you think there is still "doubt".

"Little Dog....." IS transferring.... get tickets, it is very funny and at the same time very poignant. 

The CN production of "Company " is coming in the Fall.  Had an opportunity to see it in CN and it is outstanding. 
Also, of course, try not to miss "History Boys"  Same cast as London and it/they are amazing.