The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 260147 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Theatre
« Reply #930 on: March 06, 2020, 10:42:11 AM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:04:45 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #931 on: April 16, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »
We lost Terrence McNally to complications of Covid-19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_McNally

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #932 on: April 21, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »

--Buyer & Cellar

Are you familiar with this play?

Short synopsis:

The play is a one-man comedy that follows Alex More, a struggling gay actor working in Los Angeles, who is down on his luck after being recently fired from Disneyland. He lands a job curating the Malibu basement of Barbra Streisand. (The real-life Streisand constructed a series of “Main Street” storefronts beneath her Malibu barn inspired by the Winterthur Museum in Delaware in order to house her collection of dolls and other trinkets). More at first does not meet his employer, but eventually Streisand comes down to peruse her collection, and the two strike up a friendly relationship. The play chronicles the fictional exchanges between More and his idol, the source of both admiration and frustration on More’s part. The entire play is narrated from More’s point of view, and is presented as a story told to his screenwriter boyfriend Barry.
___

Michael Urie, the original star of the show, did a livestream of it from his home a day or two ago. It's still online if you would like to see it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrBCitmIbA

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #933 on: April 27, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
"Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration"

This afternoon on YouTube. Jake Gyllenhaal is gonna sing.

NEW LINK, geared up to Jake...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92wZIvEUAw

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:50:20 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #934 on: April 27, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »
Streisand loves Sondheim, wonder if she's singing, or just going to chat?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #935 on: April 28, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
New Link in my post above...

The original livestream link may have been removed because of technical problems when it started, resulting in delays...

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #936 on: April 28, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »
Yes, I heard it started a half hour late because of technical problems.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #937 on: August 10, 2020, 06:18:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

I received an email from Gregory Hinton today. Some of you may remember and had met Gregory when he presented Beyond Brokeback at the Autry Museum in conjunction with his Out West series. It was also presented in Chicago and several other places as well. Gregory has been a long time supporter of the forum.

He has written a new play based on Lynn Riggs, (1899-1954), the forgotten gay, Cherokee playwright and poet. Lynn Riggs play, Green Grow the Lilacs, is the basis for the musical Oklahoma!.

I asked if I could share this and he said absolutely. As he states in the email, there will be a Facebook live streaming of the play on Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 7 PM CDT (8 PM EDT, 6 PM MDT, and 5 PM PDT). The link is below. I hope you can attend. Here is his email.

Dear Friends of Out West,

Oscar Hammerstein once wrote that "Lynn Riggs and Green Grow the Lilacs are the very soul of Oklahoma!"  In their first collaboration, Rigg's folk-play, Green Grow the Lilacs. (1931) was adapted by Rodgers and Hammerstein into the sensational musical evergreen, Oklahoma!. (1943) 

Lynn Riggs, (1899-1954), the forgotten gay, Cherokee playwright and poet, is the subject of my new solo play, More Sky - The Story of Lynn Riggs.  Commissioned for The Lynn Riggs Theatre in Tulsa, a More Sky Facebook Live Streaming (https://www.facebook.com/events/dennis-r-neill-equality-center/more-sky-the-story-of-lynn-riggs/720644015382829/) before an invited, socially distanced audience is set for Thursday, August 20th, 7 PM CDT.

Oklahoma's Russ Tallchief, a much admired Osage actor and playwright will play Riggs. Pat Hobbs, Artistic Director for the Lynn Riggs Theatre will direct. And I will be there.

One year ago, the Lynn Riggs Memorial Mural at the theatre was desecrated by vandals. Vandalism and intimidation against community theatres offering diverse fare is on the rise.  In the spate of dissonant news rolling out of Tulsa this year; and darkened theaters everywhere. I see the staging of More Sky at the Lynn Riggs Theatre as a great win!

I hope this finds you safe and well. I look forward to when we meet face to face again...

Best,

Gregory

Gregory Hinton, Playwright,
MORE SKY - The Lynn Riggs Story

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:29:22 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #938 on: August 11, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »

I didn't know about Lynn Riggs, this is pretty amazing.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #939 on: August 11, 2020, 01:39:46 PM »
I read Green Grow the Lilacs when I was in college, though I can't remember why.  :laugh: I'm sure it wasn't an assignment. Maybe I just read it on my own out of curiosity. That was so long ago now I can't be sure of my memory, but I think it may actually have incorporated Western folk songs. The title certainly comes from a song, something like:

Green grow the lilacs all sparkly with dew,
I'm lonely and grieving since parting with you.

I had no idea Riggs was Cherokee, much less gay. Now I want to read up on him.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #940 on: August 11, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
I read Green Grow the Lilacs when I was in college, though I can't remember why.  :laugh: I'm sure it wasn't an assignment. Maybe I just read it on my own out of curiosity. That was so long ago now I can't be sure of my memory, but I think it may actually have incorporated Western folk songs. The title certainly comes from a song, something like:

Green grow the lilacs all sparkly with dew,
I'm lonely and grieving since parting with you.

I had no idea Riggs was Cherokee, much less gay. Now I want to read up on him.

And as it says in the email, the musical Oklahoma! was based on Green Grow the Lilacs.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #941 on: August 11, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »
And as it says in the email, the musical Oklahoma! was based on Green Grow the Lilacs.

I'm pretty sure that's why I read the play. I just don't remember the circumstances.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #942 on: August 11, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's why I read the play. I just don't remember the circumstances.

I thought maybe that might have been the case.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #943 on: August 23, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
I keep forgetting to look up Lynn Riggs.  :(

Anyway, Friday night PBS broadcast an encore of its Great Performances show from 2018 of the London production of the revival of The King and I. That's one of my favorite musicals. I love the score. Kelli O'Hara (Anna) and Ken Watanabe (the King) had played the roles on Broadway and repeated them in the West End. The broadcast was hosted by Daniel Dae Kim (Lost, Hawaii Five-O), who had taken over on Broadway for Ken Watanabe when Watanabe when to London.

I could be imagining things, but I wonder if, when this production was put together, things were added that weren't in the original stage version.

I say this with particular regard to a song--almost more of spoken thing--called "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You." Anna is alone in her room, and in this she vents her anger at the King. I've read something about this somewhere, but I can't remember where--because this scene did not make the final cut of the movie--but the song is on the movie soundtrack album. Yet here it was in this stage production. As the King would say, "Is a puzzlement."

(You can see why this show was banned in Thailand for generations: Because of the practice of kow-towing to the King, the courtiers are referred to as toads.)

(A few years ago I saw a road company of The King and I at the Academy of Music here. I was not impressed. I felt that the woman who played Anna was shrill when she sang. Kelli O'Hara has a beautiful soprano.)

Factoid: This morning's broadcast of the service from Washington National Cathedral included a piece of music by Adam Guettel. No wonder he's a composer: His grandfather was Richard Rodgers.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #944 on: August 24, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
I saw a production of The King & I at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood, and I'm trying now to remember when that was. My "Googling" tells me that was back in 1998 and Anna was played by Marie Osmond. I was looking at an L.A. Times review of it and the reviewer mentions the "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You" song as sung by Marie. (The reviewer thought she was acting more petulant than the King.) The actor who played the King isn't someone whose name I recognize. The review mentions that the last week of the engagement, Maureen McGovern was stepping into the Anna role.