The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All-Time Favorite Films  (Read 96777 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: All-Time Favorite Films
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2021, 04:22:48 PM »
Sad news. She was wonderful in everything she was in.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »
Olympia Dukakis, Oscar Winner for 'Moonstruck,' Dies at 89

5/1/2021 by Duane Byrge , Mike Barnes

Olympia Dukakis, the dignified actress who received a supporting Oscar for her performance as Cher's nitpicking Brooklyn mother in Moonstruck, has died. She was 89.

Dukakis died Saturday in New York, her brother Apollo wrote on Facebook. "After many months of failing health she is finally at peace and with her [husband] Louis."

The late-blooming star also was known for her turn as Clairee Belcher, a woman of fiber and the elegant widowed friend of Ouiser Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine), in Herbert Ross' Steel Magnolias (1989), and she portrayed a personnel director in Working Girl (1988) and a principal in Mr. Holland's Opus (1995).

Away from the big screen, Dukakis taught drama at NYU for more than 15 years and was a founding member of two regional theaters: The Charles Playhouse in Boston and the Whole Theater in Montclair, New Jersey.

Her husband of 55 years, stage and character actor Louis Zorich (Paul Reiser's father Mad About You), died in January 2018 at age 93.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/olympia-dukakis-dead-moonstruck-oscar-winning-actress-89-1085431

I'm sorry to hear of Olympia Dukakis's passing.  She was great in "STEEL MAGNOLIAS" (1989).  She would later go on to co-star with fellow "STEEL MAGNOLIAS" cast member, Shirley MacLaine, in the Canadian TV miniseries "JOAN OF ARC" (1999) which starred Leelee Sobieski as Joan of Arc, Neil Patrick Harris, Jacqueline Bissett, and Peter O'Toole.  The 1999 "JOAN OF ARC" miniseries originally aired on the CBS network channel in North America.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:05:36 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2021, 08:31:46 PM »
The fact that Olympia Dukakis and her husband were married for 55 years, and that she had such a longstanding career is amazing.  Its interesting to know that she taught drama classes at New York University for 15 years, and that she helped to found two theater houses.  I hope she had a mostly happy, fulfilling life.  May she rest in peace.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:05:22 PM by B.W. »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #543 on: May 02, 2021, 04:52:33 AM »

Wonderful woman and actress. I liked her a lot.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #544 on: May 02, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
She would later go on to co-star with fellow "STEEL MAGNOLIAS" cast member, Shirley MacLaine, in the Canadian TV miniseries "JOAN OF ARC" (1999) which starred Leelee Sobieski as Joan of Arc, Neil Patrick Harris, Jacqueline Bissett, and Peter O'Toole.  The 1999 "JOAN OF ARC" miniseries originally aired on the CBS network channel in North America.

I remember seeing that.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #545 on: May 02, 2021, 11:09:50 PM »
I remember seeing that.

Yeah, I liked the "JOAN OF ARC" (1999) TV miniseries.  It wasn't a masterpiece, but it wasn't that bad.  Luc Besson's theatrical film "THE MESSENGER: THE STORY OF JOAN OF ARC" (1999) with Milla Jovovich, John Malkovich, Faye Dunaway and Dustin Hoffman was good, at least I liked it.  I don't think it is as bad as what many movie critics thought it was.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #546 on: May 02, 2021, 11:12:21 PM »
 Now that I think of it, the acclaimed silent film "THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC" is a well-made telling of the Joan of Arc story, specifically dealing with the court trials she was subjected to by the English after being captured by the Burgundians.  RKO Radio Pictures' film "JOAN OF ARC" with Ingrid Bergman is just okay.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #547 on: May 27, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »
I thought this analysis well done.  Sci-Fic Geeks will be interested -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWU8aDEuQ-c
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 02:17:49 PM by gattaca »

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #548 on: May 27, 2021, 12:19:06 PM »
I thought this analysis well done.  Sci-Fic Geeks will be interested ->
Films -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWU8aDEuQ-c

That link doesn't work, but this one should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWU8aDEuQ-c

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #549 on: May 27, 2021, 02:18:02 PM »
^^^ TY.  I fixed it too.