The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All-Time Favorite Films  (Read 135116 times)

jayiijay

Re: All-Time Favorite Films
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 10:33:03 PM »
DOWNLOADED1:

Wow - that is extremely cool - thanks.  Tempted to list another 50, but will wait, it's 12:30 a.m. in NYC and I've gotta get to bed soon.

But - I can't help it - just a few quick things while you are on-line:

a.  Grand Illusion is so remarkable, it always bothers me when Rules of the Game is ranked higher.  I know it's ridiculous, they are both pretty universally considered to be in the top 25 films in world cinema, but Rules pretty much has the #2 spot, and I don't see why.  I understand it has the structure and I recognize it is brilliant (although it took me 3 times), but it just doesn't have the emotional pull or poignancy of the Grand Illusion. 

b.  Gone With the Wind has fallen out of favor, and to a degree I can why, but I don't think it is fair.  I know, the directorial styles of George Cukor, Victor Fleming and maybe others are not internally consistent, but so what, the end product remains one of the most ambitious Hollywood products ever.  That is one of the reasons I prefer it (strongly) to its big competitor for greatest romance, Casablanca, which was only supposed to be a B movie.   Like everybody else I think Casablanca is wonderful, but in some ways it plays almost more like a Shakespeare play (with all those great lines) than a piece of cinema.  And Grand Illusion used L'Marseille first, and to even better, semi-surrealistic effect.

c.  If I list another 50 films, a few Hitchcocks will make it, but not Vertigo.  It pretty much has the #3 spot in world cinema at this point, and certainly I respect it, but it meanders.  Kim Novak also didn't cut it for me - she should have switched roles with Barbara Bel Geddes, who was much more interesting (but of course Novak fit the ice blond Hitchcock mold).

Curious what you think.  Forgive me if I don't respond tonight, only another 5 minutes or so on-line.  thx

downloaded1

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »
Hitchcock
Rebecca
Rear Window

jayiijay

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2006, 10:48:59 PM »
DOWNLOADED1:

Wow - we really do have similar taste.  If I had listed 60 films, Rebecca would definitely have made it.  Rear Window is in my 100.  So is Shadow of a Doubt.  Next would probably be North By Northwest or Strangers on a Train, both in personal top 200.

P.S.  If ever there should have been a Best Supporting Actress tie, Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers and Jane Darwell as Ma Joad would have been it.

downloaded1

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »
Also like,
Requiem For A Dream and Pi

jayiijay

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2006, 10:59:36 PM »
Here's where we part.  Not a Tarnofsky fan.  I respect his work, but too self-conscious for my taste.  I liked Pi more than Requiem since I felt Ellen Burstyn's (admittedly revered) performance was over the top.  He has a lot of talent, but I think he needs to reign himself in a little. 

Off to sleep - enjoyed chatting a lot, hope we can do it again soon.  Thanks much.

downloaded1

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2006, 11:00:03 PM »
Sleep well.

bluebird2

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 09:11:16 PM »
The best films for me are those I have watched at least six or more times over the years.  They may not be the "best" if taken apart and critiqued in depth, but for me they work.  Among these are (in no particular order):

East of Eden
      A Streetcar Named Desire
      Gone With the Wind
      La Strada
      And of course BBM!

jayiijay

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 10:33:33 PM »
bluebird2:

Great choices, imo.  3/5 are in my top 50 (2 in my top 5 also, Brokeback & GWTW).  Guiletta Masina may be best remembered for Nights of Cabiria (she was astounding), but I think her performance in La Strada is one of the dozen or so greatest ever filmed.  Richard Basehart was also superb.  My favorite Fellini.

Loved East of Eden - not even nominated for the (worthless) Oscar for Best Picture, though director Elia Kazan & James Dean were nominated (the latter posthumously), and Jo Van Fleet won (probably also because she was superb in "I'll Cry Tomorrow" same year).  Really captures the flavor of the equally amazing book.  In 1955, East of Eden, Night of the Hunter, Rebel Without a Cause and Bad Day at Black Rock, I think the 4 best english- language films of the year, were all overlooked for Picture nominations for the inferior Love Is a Many Splendored Thing, Picnic, The Rose Tattoo...and the very good Mister Roberts & winner Marty.

Streetcar of course is revered, though not a personal absolute favorite the way it is for so many.  Vivien Leigh was amazing, Marlon Brando was amazing, yet somehow to me they felt like they were in different movies.  Perhaps that was the point, but if so, I missed it, LOL.  Nonetheless, undeniably a 4 star classic.

bluebird2

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 10:14:28 AM »
jayiijay:

Yes, Jo Van Fleet was superb in East of Eden--the scene in her office with James Dean is so powerful...they're both great, and I recommend to anyone reading this to see the film just for this scene if nothing else...of course, the entire movie is excellent.  (I think I'll watch it again tonight...it's been a while!)

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2006, 10:17:36 AM »
Just to let you know - I merged this thread with the one that sydney had previously begun in Meet and Greet. Mmost of those posts occured prior to this thread beeing created - so there's a page or so at the beginning of the thread now that you might not have seen
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline czterrier

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 11:32:53 AM »
Besides BBM which is #1, in no particular order:

Shawshank Redemption
Remains of the Day
Sense & Sensibility (Ang Lee's)
Alien
The Matrix
Harold and Maude
The Heiress
Billy Elliot
About a Boy
Double Indemnity
The Crying Game
Unbreakable
The Graduate
All This And Heaven Too
Star Trek: First Contact

Offline Meira

• Experienced
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 11:37:24 AM »
Ok.  You've all mentioned some I've loved but haven't thought of in a while, so , in no particular order, here are some of my favorites (aside from BBM - the all time fave - never to be replaced):

Dirty Dancing
Babe
Good Will Hunting
Sex, Lies and Videotape
The Man Who Would Be King
The Bourne Identity (and it's sequel)
Harold and Maude
The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
The Great Escape
The Sum of Us
Gladiator
The Terminator
Titanic
Desperately Seeking Susan (for Aidan Quinn, of course!)
Lethal Weapon
Million Dollar Baby
A Beautiful Mind
Little Shop of Horrors
Escape From Sobibor
..your laughter's the wind in my sails....

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2006, 11:58:22 AM »
My top 20 list:

1. IF I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION
2. To Kill A Mockingbird
3. A Streetcar Named Desire
4. Meet Me In St. Louis
5. Auntie Mame
6. The Grapes Of Wrath
7. Singin' In The Rain
8. West Side Story
9. Superman
10. The Color Purple
11. Steel Magnolias
12. On Golden Pond
13. 42nd Street
14. Dr. Strangelove
15. Whatever Happened To Baby Jane
16. Bye Bye Birdie
17. Blink (because a friend is in the movie)
18. Inside Daisy Clover
19. Billy Elliot
20. Maurice

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2006, 12:01:19 PM »
I hate lists (too many good movies) so maybe I will just steal from yours!

LOVED Babe :D (the pig, not the ballplayer)

Good Will Hunting

Titanic

Little Shop of Horrors

Shawshank

About a Boy

okay what the heck I will add some ...

The first two Godfathers

Deer Hunter

the first ROCKY

Platoon

Forrest Gump

As Good as it Gets

Pride and Predjudice (with Colin Firth)

Chicago

Some Like it Hot

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Rainmaker

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Mambo Kings

Don Juan DeMarco

Fried Green Tomatoes

Dangerous Liasons

The Notebook

Interview with a Vampire

Moonstruck

Stand by Me

The Sandlot

see that I mean the list is toooooooooo long.

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »
bluebird2:  Jo Van Fleet was a great, underappreciated actress.  Did you ever see the 1960 movie Wild River directed by Elia Kazan co-starring Montgomery Clift & Lee Remick?  If not, check it out on www.imdb.com, she is fantastic in it.

Really enjoy reading people's favorite lists.  I was rooting for Babe to beat Braveheart in '95, but as usual the wrong film won.  The former was so original, funny and well-executed.  I was rooting for either Quiz Show or Shawshank to beat Forrest Gump in '94, though Shawshank had no chance since it didn't receive a director nomination, and is more highly regarded now than it was then.  All This and Heaven Too is an underappreciated Bette Davis film, though a Best Picture nominee in 1940.  Davis' nominationt that year was for The Letter, another great film & performance - never understood why somebody can't be nominated for more than one performance in the same year.  Like CZTERRIER, I was also one of the few who thought Remains of the Day was better than Schindler's List in '93.