The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All-Time Favorite Films  (Read 137657 times)

jayiijay

Re: All-Time Favorite Films
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »
LOLA:

Glad to see we agree on something, LOL.  But it's short-lived, because I'm gonna criticize the Academy yet again.  James Garner and Gena Rowlands didn't just deserve nominations, they deserved supporting oscars for their roles (over the great Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby, but a part he had done numerous times before in his sleep, and Cate Blanchett doing a superb imitation of Katharine Hepburn, but nowhere near the emotional depth of Rowlands).  I also would have nominated Rachel McAdams for Best Actress.  It was the first time I was cognizant of her presence in a film, she blew me away (was the only good thing in the awful Family Stone).  The Notebook also did extremely well at the box office, not like blockbusters, but it performed far beyond expectations for a film of its scope and budget - well deserved.

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2006, 09:40:06 PM »
I liked "The Notebook", didn't love it.  Did love the film of "Light in the Piazza".

I guess that definitions can be confusing.  "Guilty" pleasures may mean more "Starship Troopers" than "Robin Hood".  I don't care.  I just love all kinds of movies and films.  Like "Bring it On" and " What a Girl Wants" and any movie that takes me out of myself and makes me happy or sad or just makes me feel...I guess that is what I want in an evening or an afternoon in a movie theater.  So, bring 'em on, is what I say.  What films make you light up at the mention of their names, at the sound of a few notes from the soundtrack, at a few words of dialogue, at an image on a poster?  That make you glad to be ALIVE?

Thanks Painted Shoes!  I didn't know there was a film of "Light in the Piazza".  I've been hearing such good things about it on Broadway, but I'm 3000 miles away.  I'll try and catch the film.

A couple of things I've noticed re buying DVDs for my collection is I only buy films I've already seen and want to own, and, even though there are many films I've LOVED, I wouldn't necessarily want to own them or watch them over and over.  The ones I buy are usually the ones I know I'll watch repeatedly.  Although sometimes I buy them 'cause I want to listen to the director's commentary and watch the extras, even though I've already seen the film. 

And - speaking of extras - does anyone love watching all the behind-the-scenes stuff but then wish they could have it erased from their memory?  I sure do.  It really ruins watching a film again when you've seen a dramatic scene that showed the actor flubbing their lines and laughing and the crew all around.  That's why I want another version of BBM with way more extras but NO "out-takes", "bloopers".  God forbid!
Brokeback Got Me Good

Casper

« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
What films make you light up at the mention of their names, at the sound of a few notes from the soundtrack, at a few words of dialogue, at an image on a poster?  That make you glad to be ALIVE?

"A Hard Day's Night"

downloaded1

« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2006, 09:49:11 PM »
What films make you light up at the mention of their names, at the sound of a few notes from the soundtrack, at a few words of dialogue, at an image on a poster?  That make you glad to be ALIVE?

Rosemarys Baby

(just kidding)

Offline sinne

• Expert
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2006, 10:12:43 PM »
Hey!  Any really GOOD film makes me glad to be alive.  So "Rosemary's Baby" fits that criteria, but "A Hard Day's Night" does too and is a lot more fun!   :D
Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2006, 10:17:34 PM »
Sinne, the film of "A Light in the Piazza" came out in 1962, MGM, starring Olivia DeHavilland, Rosanno Brazzi, Yvette Mimieux and George Hamilton.  I do not know if it is available on DVD, but it is shown sometimes on TCM.  A lovely film.

Downloaded1, you are entitled to your opinion, ...but I'm glad you are kidding! ;D
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

hifrommike65

« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2006, 11:27:35 PM »
One of my favorite 1950s films is PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (1953, dir. Samuel Fuller).  It's a tightly done noir story with excellent performances: Thelma Ritter was nominated for an Oscar as supporting actress, & the leads (Richard Widmark & Jean Peters) are just as good.  Just marvellous. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2006, 06:37:13 AM »
LOLA:

Glad to see we agree on something, LOL.  But it's short-lived, because I'm gonna criticize the Academy yet again.  James Garner and Gena Rowlands didn't just deserve nominations, they deserved supporting oscars for their roles (over the great Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby, but a part he had done numerous times before in his sleep, and Cate Blanchett doing a superb imitation of Katharine Hepburn, but nowhere near the emotional depth of Rowlands).  I also would have nominated Rachel McAdams for Best Actress.  It was the first time I was cognizant of her presence in a film, she blew me away (was the only good thing in the awful Family Stone).  The Notebook also did extremely well at the box office, not like blockbusters, but it performed far beyond expectations for a film of its scope and budget - well deserved.

Yea I could go for that.  But Morgan Freeman was due, it was his time.  And I actually loved the Aviator and I thought Cate was incredible as Katherine (one of my favourite actresses and not easy to pull off)   But they should have got something for sure.  Gena and James were great, so were Ryan and Rachel.

I guess you know they are a real life couple!!  :-*   Hey at least they won best kiss at the MTV awards!  ;)

FUNGURL

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2006, 06:49:34 AM »
Splendour in the Grass is now only supplanted as my all time teariest film by BBM.
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2006, 10:42:09 AM »
My unabashedly "guilty" and not-ashamed-of-it favorite movie is Terminator 3. I love all the Terminator movies (especially Linda Hamilton and her ripped physique in II) but this one was good old-school-style camp sci-fi with big budget effects. And it featured Nick Stahl and Claire Danes, both of whom can ACT! Arnold was really in his element here, playing a deadpan robot with an accidental sense of humor. Kristanna Loken didn't have to do anything but look hot and menacing while running in high heels, which she does quite well.  ;D

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2006, 11:49:22 AM »
My unabashedly "guilty" and not-ashamed-of-it favorite movie is Terminator 3. I love all the Terminator movies (especially Linda Hamilton and her ripped physique in II) but this one was good old-school-style camp sci-fi with big budget effects. And it featured Nick Stahl and Claire Danes, both of whom can ACT! Arnold was really in his element here, playing a deadpan robot with an accidental sense of humor. Kristanna Loken didn't have to do anything but look hot and menacing while running in high heels, which she does quite well.  ;D

You know we saw the first two a million times, my kids owned them and watched them alot.  Then the third one came out in theatres.  We were on a cruise and they were showing it one night in one of the theatres on the ship, we figured what the heck, we will check it out.

We had a ball watching it and so did everyone in the theatre.   We came home and I bought a copy to round out the collection. 

P.S. I am still working on my Linda Hamilton biceps  :-\

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »
HIFROMMIKE65:

Pickup on South Street is a terrific choice, it also belongs in the underrated movies forum.  Richard Widmark is a perfect example of the Academy's incompetence.   Nominated only once for supporting in '47 for his terrifying debut as Johnny Udo in Kiss of Death (and unfairly losing to Edmund Gwenn's sweet-but-safe-and-hardly-a-stretch turn as Kris Kringle to Miracle on 34th Street), there are strong arguments he should have been nominated for Pickup, No Way Out, Night and the City, Panic in the Streets (my favorite performance of his), Broken Lance, Two Rode Together, and Cheyenne Autumn.  What did they have against poor Richard, LOL, he was amazing.  Also, as you probably know, Thelma Ritter has a record six supporting actress nominations without a victory, another crime.  Peter O'Toole & Richard Burton each had seven nominations without a win (Burton 6 lead, 1 support), which is even worse.  But I digress.

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2006, 06:23:09 PM »
No you don't, Jay.  I always love your insightful comments.  Richard Widmark was a favorite of mine.  And he was spectacular as Johnny Udo...that terrifying giggle sent chills up and down my spine.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Casper

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2006, 07:20:20 PM »
jayiijay, I share your disappointment with Richard Burton never receiving an Oscar.  The Academy should bow their heads in shame.  :-[

Casper

« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2006, 07:22:40 PM »
Since "Poseidon" is coming out this weekend, memories of sour grapes are rekindled with the Academy not giving the Best Supporting Actress Award to Shelley Winters in the original.