The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All-Time Favorite Films  (Read 135050 times)

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
Re: All-Time Favorite Films
« Reply #525 on: August 28, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
The Graduate was a great one, Suely, and I DID see it in the cinema when it was first out....with my parents, in fact.   :D

I can't remember ever seeing The Days of Wine and Roses, but I loved that theme song.

"Days of Wine and Roses" starred Jack Lemon and Lee Remick (sp?)
Jack in one of his few serious rolls....and does he do it justice ?? By a mile.
It's a film dealing with alcoholism. So very sad. You need to be in the mood for it....but so worth it.

Sometimes when you watch a film ....it can be....... the people you go to see it with ....the occasion....that makes it stay in your memory as a favorite film.
eg: A funny film can seem even funnier when you giggle and laugh at just the simplest silly little things when you are out with friends ....but... later on ....if you buy the DVD ...or watch it on TV....on your own....some how it just isn't as funny or good.
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #526 on: August 28, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
Thanks, Suely.  Now I know I never saw "Days of Wine and Roses" but it sounds good....and sad, probably tragic.

As for "The Graduate," with "Mrs. Robinson," that's the film that got me started listening to (and buying) all of Simon & Garfunkel's albums.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline suelyblu

• Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #527 on: August 28, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
                                                               ^^^^

I know where you are coming from ! They are superb.
 find you.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #528 on: August 28, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
I have tons of DVD's (actually got rid of a lot of them) but I am the same, don't even think of putting them on, but then they come on TV and I start watching!

My favourites I don't tire of really - but there are old movies I put on and they seem dated.   

I remember going to the theatre with friends and seeing Desperado when it came out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112851/

Not exactly in my top 10, but we sure enjoyed it that night, had so much fun, I think because there was a bunch of us!

I also never tire of anything involving Hugh Grant, don't ask me why!  :D
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #529 on: August 28, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
I think it would be fun to try to come up with a real all-time favorite list (I think I did it once here, but that list mostly included movies that were fairly recent at the time).

Memory fades, but by searching online for top movies of each year 1965-2014, that would bring up a lot of old goodies to choose between.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #530 on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
In looking through old movie titles, I found about 30 that I wanted to include.  So I tried to eliminate movies that I saw with family or friends, which were more "special" to one of the other people than they were to me.  This would include movies like "The Odd Couple," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Last Picture Show," "Blazing Saddles," "Amadeus" and (pick one of the baseball films) "Field of Dreams" or "Bull Durham."   

And I tried to eliminate movies which primarily had "important" themes, such as "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" and "Milk" and "Philadelphia."

Here are 10 of my remaining favorites of all-time, listed by Year of Release:

1939:  The Wizard of Oz

1967:  Camelot

1967:  The Graduate

1969:  Midnight Cowboy

1969:  Women in Love

1987:  Moonstruck

2001:  A Beautiful Mind

2005:  Brokeback Mountain

2013:  Nebraska

2014:  The Grand Budapest Hotel

Jack's from Texas.

Offline suelyblu

• Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #531 on: August 29, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
                                                               ^^

Just give me some time!!! I'll be back later !!!  ;D
 find you.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #532 on: August 29, 2015, 10:05:39 AM »
We can scan back in this post and see what we picked!

I watched the Rodger Ebert documentary last night (very good) and was checking his site afterwards (and links) and he listed favourite movies by year, that would be fun to do.

Moonstruck is also a favourite of mine!
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #533 on: February 05, 2017, 03:09:21 AM »
beautiful thing

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #534 on: May 13, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »

Short, worthy read..  --> http://www.slashfilm.com/anne-v-coates-dead/
V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #535 on: May 29, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »
Apparently Turner Classics was airing all "war movies" yesterday. In the morning I happily stumbled on the broadcast of Friendly Persuasion; the Civil War plays an important part in the plot that centers on a Quaker family living in southern Indiana in 1862.

Gary Cooper really was the stereotypical "strong, silent type" (maybe the stereotype was created with reference to him?), but he could also play dryly humorous.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
When I looked at TV Guide this morning, the listing for TCM for tonight is Yankee Doodle Dandy, and I haven't the foggiest notion why they would be showing it tonight. They usually show it at the Fourth of July, and it's been my go-to Fourth of July movie for, literally, decades. It is, indeed, one of my all-time favorites. I love Jimmy Cagney in it. Whenever I hear or read Cagney's name, it's the first movie that comes to my mind.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
When I looked at TV Guide this morning, the listing for TCM for tonight is Yankee Doodle Dandy, and I haven't the foggiest notion why they would be showing it tonight. They usually show it at the Fourth of July, and it's been my go-to Fourth of July movie for, literally, decades. It is, indeed, one of my all-time favorites. I love Jimmy Cagney in it. Whenever I hear or read Cagney's name, it's the first movie that comes to my mind.

I have been messed up as to day of the week all this week. TCM has Yankee Doodle Dandy scheduled for tomorrow/Thursday--which makes sense because it's Flag Day in the U.S.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »

:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
Olympia Dukakis, Oscar Winner for 'Moonstruck,' Dies at 89

5/1/2021 by Duane Byrge , Mike Barnes

Olympia Dukakis, the dignified actress who received a supporting Oscar for her performance as Cher's nitpicking Brooklyn mother in Moonstruck, has died. She was 89.

Dukakis died Saturday in New York, her brother Apollo wrote on Facebook. "After many months of failing health she is finally at peace and with her [husband] Louis."

The late-blooming star also was known for her turn as Clairee Belcher, a woman of fiber and the elegant widowed friend of Ouiser Boudreaux (Shirley MacLaine), in Herbert Ross' Steel Magnolias (1989), and she portrayed a personnel director in Working Girl (1988) and a principal in Mr. Holland's Opus (1995).

Away from the big screen, Dukakis taught drama at NYU for more than 15 years and was a founding member of two regional theaters: The Charles Playhouse in Boston and the Whole Theater in Montclair, New Jersey.

Her husband of 55 years, stage and character actor Louis Zorich (Paul Reiser's father Mad About You), died in January 2018 at age 93.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/olympia-dukakis-dead-moonstruck-oscar-winning-actress-89-1085431