The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet April - June 2021  (Read 180 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
The Daily Sheet April - June 2021
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »

Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Annie Proulx Interviewed by Margaret Throsby

Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author.

Writing mostly as Annie Proulx, she has written non-fiction, published a number of short story collections and is the author of five novels. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for Fiction in 1994 and was made into a film in 2001. Her short story Brokeback Mountain was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. She won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction for her first novel, Postcards.

Of her writing career, Proulx told London Observer contributor Nicci Gerrard: "I came to writing late, and I'm racing against the clock to get everything down. My head is jammed with stories; they are pushing to get out."

Annie Proulx was Margaret Throsby’s guest in March 2011 when she was in Australia talking about her latest book Bird Cloud: A Memoir.

Annie Proulx Interviewed by Margaret Throsby

Student Watches Brokeback Mountain, and Decides to Come Out

Rowing is a painful and grueling sport and I’ve been through countless injuries and setbacks. However, it was nothing compared to my mental struggle during the process of figuring out my sexuality.

Most athletes find themselves getting lost in the love of their sport, becoming consumed with trying to be the best they can possibly be and using athletics as an outlet to cope with the stress of everyday life. That is exactly what got me addicted to sports and eventually rowing.

I figured out I was gay when I was about 11 or 12 years old growing up in Albany, N.Y. The thought of not being like the rest of my friends and teammates terrified me. As an athlete, I’m extremely competitive and will do whatever it takes to get faster and be better, on and off the water. This was the first time that I couldn’t change the outcome of the something I didn’t like about myself, and I had no idea how to cope with that.

When I started rowing in seventh grade, I was looking for a new outlet to try and distract myself and not think about the possibility of being gay. A coach recruited me saying I had potential to be a promising lightweight rower. I tried it out, fell in love with it and quit the other sports I was playing to focus all of my energy on rowing.

Fast-forward to freshman year of high school. I was still closeted, but my boat was performing extremely well. We were undefeated in the fall season, trained extremely hard during winter and were ready to take on the spring season with the New York State Rowing Championship in our sights. That day turned out to be one of the hardest days of my life.

Student Watches Brokeback Mountain, and Decides to Come Out

“Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians”

Where there was absence, Joan E. Biren saw potential.

As a lesbian and photographer in the early 1970s, Biren, who goes by JEB, said she was dismayed at the dearth of images that truly reflected her life and the lives of so many in the lesbian community.

So, around 1970, she borrowed a camera from a friend and simply held it out at arm’s length as she and her lover at the time kissed. While the image wouldn’t look out of place today, it was a radical act at the time. JEB, who is 76 years old, declared it her “first lesbian photograph.”  It was that self-portrait that would launch her on a photographic odyssey to visually document the lesbian community. The yearslong endeavor culminated in her self-publishing a book of photographs, “Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians,” in 1979.

Now, the book has been reissued by Anthology Editions for the first time since its initial release.

“Eye to Eye” had a profound impact for its time.

“Seeing the photos was a revelation, each one,” said Mary Farmer, who ran the feminist bookstore Lammas Women’s Shop in Washington, D.C. “Seeing them all together, it was a beautiful thing. It was a revolutionary step for her to put herself out there like that.”

“Eye to Eye: Portraits of Lesbians”

Outed As Bisexual on TV

Married at First Sight Australia fans have expressed their alarm and “disgust” at star Liam Cooper being outed as bisexual during Monday night’s (15 March) episode.

The show sees total strangers get hitched after relationships experts pair them together.

And on the 29-year-old’s wedding day, where he was set to marry Georgia Fairweather, Cooper was outed by fellow show participant Rebecca Zemek, the Daily Mail Australia reported.

The prison case officer, based in Brisbane, Queensland, was robbed of the chance to come out to his bride-to-be as the season eight newlyweds introduced themselves to the original cast.

Viewers of the Nine Network reality show responded with anger over the show’s handling of its first openly bisexual groom, with some fans wondering why the cast  “laughed” at Cooper’s sexuality.

Rebecca Zemek grilled the pair about what their “non-negotiables” would be, with Georgia Fairweather explaining: “I would really struggle if you were super judgmental and close-minded, that would be hard for me cause I’m totally the opposite.”

Outed As Bisexual on TV

Pentagon Reversing Trump's Transgender Policies

The Pentagon on Wednesday swept away Trump-era policies that largely banned transgender people from serving in the military, issuing new rules that offer them wider access to medical care and assistance with gender transition.  The new department regulations allow transgender people who meet military standards to enlist and serve openly in their self-identified gender, and they will be able to get medically necessary transition-related care authorized by law, chief Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters during a briefing.

The changes come after a two-month Pentagon review aimed at developing guidelines for the new policy, which was announced by President Joe Biden just days after he took office in January.

Biden's executive order overturned the Trump policy and immediately prohibited any service member from being forced out of the military on the basis of gender identity. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin then gave the Pentagon two months to finalize the more detailed regulations that the military services will follow.

The new rules also prohibit discrimination based on gender identity. Their release Wednesday coincides with International Transgender Day of Visibility, and they will take effect in 30 days. Kirby said that will give the military services the time they need to update their policies and provide guidance to commanders.

“The United States military is the greatest fighting force on the planet because we are composed of an all-volunteer team willing to step up and defend the rights and freedoms of all Americans,” Austin said in a statement Wednesday. “We will remain the best and most capable team because we avail ourselves of the best possible talent that America has to offer, regardless of gender identity.”

Pentagon Reversing Trump's Transgender Policies

Demi Lovato Comes Out As Pansexual

Demi Lovato appeared on Joe Rogan's podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, and pledged her allegiance to the "alphabet mafia."

The two discussed Lovato's childhood as a singer and performer and her future plans to raise children of her own. Lovato told him at the moment she thinks she might adopt, but clarified, "I was engaged to a man last year. I totally thought I'd be married, maybe pregnant by now. And that's not the case."   "I also don't know if I'm gonna end up with a guy, so I can't see myself maybe even getting pregnant," she went on. "I'm so fluid now, and a part of the reason why I am so fluid is because I was super closeted off."

Rogan clarified by asking if she identified as pansexual, and she responded in the affirmative, after previously coming out as bisexual in 2017.

The terminology LGBTQ people use varies from person to person and is typically objective and based on what the individual is most comfortable with, although some say the terms are indicative of gender distinctions that apply when it comes to attraction, with some believing pansexuality holding more "space for gender presentation and identities to be more fluid."

Fluid, as mentioned above, is exactly what Lovato says she feels right now.

"I heard someone call the LGBTQIA+ community the alphabet mafia," she told the comedian. "That's it! That's what I'm going with. I'm part of the alphabet mafia and proud."  The two joked about the many letters of the LGBTQIA+ alphabet, with Lovato laughing, "Why can't we just say 'queer,' y'all?" (Fortunately, we can!)

Demi Lovato Comes Out As Pansexual

LGBTQ Ally Uses Anti-Gay Insults

I have no interest in exploring the genesis of Kevin Durant’s juvenile Twitter feud with annoying actor and comedian Michael Rapaport. Apparently, Rapaport ripped Durant after a TV interview, leading to a months-long insult fest between the two over direct message, which Rapaport leaked this week.

It’s all exhausting, and tempting to just ignore as another fleeting pseudo-controversy — like most celebrity Twitter battles.  But this one is hard to sidestep, because of the vile language Durant used. It was misogynist, threatening and homophobic. He can say he was joking, but that’s the problem. As a supposed ally, he should know that.

“Me and mike talk CRAZIER than this on the regular and today he’s pissed,” Durant tweeted. “My bad mike, damn!!”

He offered another apology Thursday: “I’m sorry that people have seen the language I used,” Durant told reporters. “That’s not what I want people to see or hear from me.”

In other words, he’s sorry he got caught.

Durant has been publicly waving the rainbow flag for years: congratulating Jason Collins; expressing support for the NBA marching in New York City’s LGBTQ Pride parade. But what does he say in private when he’s trying to put somebody down?

“All u do is suck cock.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:44:52 AM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Daily Sheet April - June 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »

Tuesday, April 13th, 2021

Ang Lee on Good Actors

Ang Lee believes that "good actors" should be prioritised for film roles.

The 66-year-old director helmed the 2005 romantic drama 'Brokeback Mountain', which explored the relationship between male cowboys Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal), and admits that he would not feel duty bound to cast gay actors as the leads if he was making the movie now, despite the clamour for that trend now among the LGBTQ+ community.

Ang said: "I think good actors have to come first."

"Acting is not about who you are. I've cast broadcasters to play broadcasters and when the camera rolls, they don't know what to do."

Ang cites Ledger's performance in the film as a case in point for the importance of acting ability.

He said of the late star: "His character was gay, but also a macho homophobe, and he portrayed that brilliantly."

Lee has embraced futuristic technology with his movies – the Will Smith-led action thriller 'Gemini Man' was shot at 120 frames per second – although it hasn't convinced critics despite the director describing it as "a way of observing differently".

Ang Lee on Good Actors

Use of Gay Slur Investigated by MLS

Major League Soccer said it will investigate the use of an anti-gay slur by LA Galaxy and United States men's national team player Sebastian Lletget.

Lletget posted a video on his Instagram account of him using the slur in Spanish while walking with Galaxy teammate Julian Araujo at a practice session. Lletget appeared to jokingly slap Araujo on the neck from behind before using the slur.

Lletget deleted the video shortly afterward. In a statement to OutSports, Lletget said he "messed up" for using the slur.

"I have taken down a video from my Instagram story but want to address its impact and not hide from this. I take full responsibility and ownership on what was an extremely poor and ill-thought phrase and have no excuse for my actions. I am sorry and know the pain that this term has caused for so many.

I want to be part of the solution -- not part of the problem -- and continue to be an advocate and an ally for the LGBTQ+ community. Those who know me know my character and heart. I will remain outspoken in my support and advocacy. My error doesn't change that.  Thanks for your accountability. I need to do and be better."

The Galaxy stated: "The L.A. Galaxy do not condone homophobic or derogatory language of any kind. The club stands with the LGBTQ+ community and will address this matter internally."

Use of Gay Slur Investigated by MLS

The Cubbyhole Reopens

At this time last year, Lisa Menichino was in bed sipping a constant cycle of bourbon and frozen push pops — often mixed for the sulkiest, sweetest drink she could imagine — while fretting over the future of her bar. Today, the phone at Cubbyhole on a picturesque West Village intersection, 281 West 12th Street, won’t stop ringing as regulars are eager to reserve a seat outdoors at the city’s only open lesbian space to reopen.

After Menichino’s month or so of brooding during 2020’s first shutdown in March, messages from guests reminded her of Cubbyhole’s unique status: It’s one of Manhattan’s last two lesbian bars. A place where the queer community could meet partners, grieve, and gather safely. Like many lesbian bar owners struggling to sustain their businesses, she started a GoFundMe to help cover expenses at the shuttered space. Cubbyhole reopened last summer, and closed when the weather cooled down mid-December. Customer-designed T-shirts helped raise additional funds, and even as the taps were closed and the gate was locked, Menichino felt the community’s excitement for Cubbyhole’s imminent return. In fact, a couple got engaged in front of the closed bar on a frigid February day. Those moments keep Menichino going, despite all the restrictions, including patrons not being allowed to order at the bar, at a lesbian bar. The table-only rules didn’t squelch the enthusiasm of more than 300 people who visited for Cubbyhole’s first night in 2021.

“Lesbians need a place to go,” Menichino says, chugging coffee while ensuring all seats, reservations, and hand sanitizers were ready to go for Cubbyhole’s grand reopening after a months-long hibernation. On Thursday, April 8, regulars, newbies, and tourists eagerly snatched up reservations, selling out the bar on a sunny day ideal for outdoor drinking. The bar is back with minor tweaks and improvements: A new frozen machine offers daiquiris, margaritas, and frose. A wooden outdoor dining setup built by volunteer lesbian carpenters safely seats a dozen socially distant guests, and people can order hot dogs or packaged sandwiches with cocktails, as food orders are required with alcohol sales these days.

The Cubbyhole Reopens

Ronen Rubinstein Comes Out As Bisexual

Ronen Rubinstein was anxious for his family and friends back in his native Staten Island to watch the second episode of “9-1-1: Lone Star.” He told them he was playing Rob Lowe’s gay son on the Fox procedural, but he wasn’t sure what they’d think of the very steamy encounter between his character, T.K. Strand, and his future police officer boyfriend Carlos Reyes, played by openly gay actor Rafael L. Silva.

“Carlos and I have a huge make-out scene where we, like, burst through the door, and we’re ripping our clothes off,” Rubinstein says. “It’s super hot and it just goes on. It just doesn’t stop. We’re, like, crashing against the walls, and then we end up on the couch. I warned my parents and my friends for months. I said, ‘Listen, I understand if you guys don’t want to watch it, I understand you probably might say some really ignorant, close-minded stuff or you just might not want to watch it and I get that too.’”

In the end, it didn’t matter what they thought because T.K. and Carlos were a hit. As soon as clips of the scene were released, fans of the drama series, produced by Ryan Murphy, crowned the couple “Tarlos.”

As much as the series is fiction, there was something very real happening for Rubinstein. The 27-year-old actor found himself coming to terms with and accepting feelings that he had suppressed for as long as he can remember.

“I fully identify as bisexual,” Rubinstein says in an exclusive interview over Zoom from his Los Angeles area home. “I literally just got goosebumps saying that. It feels so good to talk about it; it feels so good to finally be comfortable with it.”

Ronen Rubinstein Comes Out As Bisexual

Transgender Students As Political Pawns

Heather Hughes, a music and math teacher at a private school in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, said a 16-year-old student pulled out her phone Monday afternoon and announced that Gov. Asa Hutchinson had vetoed a bill that would have banned transgender minors from accessing gender-affirming medical care.

Hughes said it shows that young people understand the national conversation about trans youth, who are the focus of a wave of state bills that seek to restrict their access to transition-related medical care and sports.

“They get that something’s up, and they understand enough to be like, ‘This is a bad idea,’” Hughes said of her students. “They think it's asinine. They don't understand why it's a big deal in the first place, like why bother making these bills, and so then anytime it's brought up, they're mostly infuriated.”

Another student, who is 15, talked to Hughes last week about how they wanted to start testosterone soon. But on Tuesday, the Arkansas Legislature overrode Hutchinson’s veto, and the state is now poised to become the first to ban gender-affirming care for trans minors.

The law bans insurance plans from covering or reimbursing the cost of transition-related care for minors, including puberty blockers and hormones. After it takes effect this summer, Hughes' student won't be able to use testosterone unless they pay out of pocket, which Hughes said is "not that likely given their situation."

Transgender Students As Political Pawns

JoJo Siwa Opens Up Even More

JoJo Siwa went public with being a member of the LGBTQ+ community in January and now she's opening up even more.

In a cover story with People, the 17-year-old social media star who sells out arenas said she initially didn't want to "label" herself but was happily in a relationship with girlfriend Kylie Prew, 18, and was out to family and friends.

"I still don't know what I am. It's like, I want to figure it out. And I have this joke. Her name is Kylie. And so I say that I'm Ky-sexual," Siwa said. "But like, I don't know, bisexual, pansexual, queer, lesbian, gay, straight."

"I always just say gay because it just kind of covers it or queer because I think the keyword is cool," she added.

Siwa further explained how she identifies.

"I like queer," she said. "Technically I would say that I am pansexual because that's how I have always been my whole life is just like, my human is my human."

JoJo Siwa Opens Up Even More

I have no interest in exploring the genesis of Kevin Durant’s juvenile Twitter feud with annoying actor and comedian Michael Rapaport. Apparently, Rapaport ripped Durant after a TV interview, leading to a months-long insult fest between the two over direct message, which Rapaport leaked this week.

It’s all exhausting, and tempting to just ignore as another fleeting pseudo-controversy — like most celebrity Twitter battles.  But this one is hard to sidestep, because of the vile language Durant used. It was misogynist, threatening and homophobic. He can say he was joking, but that’s the problem. As a supposed ally, he should know that.

“Me and mike talk CRAZIER than this on the regular and today he’s pissed,” Durant tweeted. “My bad mike, damn!!”

He offered another apology Thursday: “I’m sorry that people have seen the language I used,” Durant told reporters. “That’s not what I want people to see or hear from me.”

In other words, he’s sorry he got caught.

Durant has been publicly waving the rainbow flag for years: congratulating Jason Collins; expressing support for the NBA marching in New York City’s LGBTQ Pride parade. But what does he say in private when he’s trying to put somebody down?

“All u do is suck cock.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet