The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1111628 times)

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2006, 07:18:03 AM »
Thanks, Jack -- You know we're always up to help a good BBM cause!  Jan

Offline bbm-mmm

• Experienced
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 07:04:09 AM »
we wanted to start a discussion on the Moscow subject.  tell us what is really going on.  Jan

Russian gays press ahead with plans for rights march
    MOSCOW, May 15, 2006 (Combined reports) - Russian gay activists said Monday they were determined to hold Moscow's first ever gay rights march later this month despite trenchant opposition, and called on President Vladimir Putin to join the protest.
   "We officially informed the Moscow mayor's office on Monday morning of our intention to organise a march on May 27 (the 13th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality in Russia) to defend the rights of sexual minorities in Russia and, whatever the response from the authorities, we will hold this march," Nikolai Alexeyev, who runs the site gayrussia.ru, said at a news conference.
   The Russian Orthodox Church, several members of parliament and Moscow's powerful mayor, Yury Luzhkov, have already expressed their opposition to the event. Earlier this year, the Mayor's Office said the parade could not take place because the proposed event had "evoked outrage in society, in particular among religious leaders."
   In an open letter to Putin, gay rights activists also invited the Russian leader to take part in the event and asked him to put an end to widespread discrimination in the country.
   "Mister President! We call on you ... to stop sexual discrimination and a violation of our rights to protest," the letter said.
   "We invite you to take part in this International Day Against Homophobia event," it added.
   Homosexuality was considered a crime until 1993 and classified as a mental illness until 1999.
   Some 2,000 activists, including Merlin Holland, the grandson of British author Oscar Wilde, and French pop star Desireless, are due to take part in the rally in central Moscow later this month.
   According to a recent poll by the independent Levada centre, 37 percent of Russians believe that gays should be prosecuted and 45 percent are against homosexuality.
---------
European rights body slams Russia over gay attacks
   STRASBOURG, May 15, 2006 - The Council of Europe Monday condemned Russia over attacks on homosexuals and called on the authorities to prosecute those responsible.
   "I strongly condemn the recent violent incidents against gays and lesbians in Moscow, and I call on the authorities to investigate these attacks, prosecute the people responsible for them, and prevent any such violence in the future," said Terry Davis, secretary general of the 46-member organisation, Europe's chief human rights body.
   "This is particularly important in view of the series of events currently being organised by the Russian gay and lesbian community to raise awareness about the difficult situation in which they live," he said.
   "They are entitled to call for full and unequivocal respect for their basic rights and freedoms."
   "The violent homophobic protests in recent weeks were neither isolated nor spontaneous," said Davis.
   "They have taken place against the background of a sustained campaign against the rights of gay and lesbian citizens. It is regrettable that several people who should normally be the first to speak out against such blatant injustice, have decided instead to endorse and actively support homophobic ideas."
   Nationalists and Orthodox Church faithful have opposed the gay pride march and earlier this month besieged a gay club as police stood by.
   The mayor of Moscow Yury Luzhkov justified his opposition to the march on the grounds that "most people oppose these public expressions of sexual tendencies."

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 07:25:46 AM »
Thanks, BBM for posting.  I'm not sure what the Council for Europe is actually responsible for.  Is there still talk of suing in the  European Court of Human Rights?   Jan

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 07:57:52 AM »
I hope it's okay for a co-editor to respond to TDS - thanks for the Annie Proulx story, it's great to know she is speaking out against conformity in politics.  Tell you what, she is my role model.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline DCLuke

• Feet Wet
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »
I hope it's okay for a co-editor to respond to TDS - thanks for the Annie Proulx story, it's great to know she is speaking out against conformity in politics.  Tell you what, she is my role model.

I was thrilled to meet with Annie Proulx and happy to share the details of my encounter with her.  Meeting Annie will certainly be one of the highlights of the year for me. I know that she was quite pleased to learn about our existence and some of the projects that we have been working on.

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 09:04:52 AM »
Thanks, tellyouwhat, I never turn down praise!  It was an honor to put that story in with DCLuke -- he did a GREAT job of writing about it.   Jan

Offline samsung

• Experienced
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 11:19:25 AM »
Curious as to why Slate was chosen for the Best Picture ad.  It's a rightwing flame site that ragged on BM for months.  Shouldn't it be placed where at least some might appreciate it?

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2006, 10:36:04 AM »
I have been to the Slate home page several times since yesteday morning, looking for our ad.  Never have seen it.  Was it for yesterday only?  What is the deal, please?  Where else in Slate might I see it?
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »
I have been to the Slate home page several times since yesteday morning, looking for our ad.  Never have seen it.  Was it for yesterday only?  What is the deal, please?  Where else in Slate might I see it?
oh good.  it wasn't only me.  i suspect <??> it might require patience ??

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 12:33:15 PM »
Paintedshoes -- I'm sure one of the Ad team can give you the details -- but Ned told me that the ads are placed throughout the SLATE site -- that's why we chose to put several in TDS so that folks could more easily see them.  Also, I know that our ad on the front page is up periodically, yesterday I refreshed through their other ads to see ours.  Hope this helps until someone more knowledgeable comes along!  Jan

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2006, 08:28:02 PM »
Thanks, Jan.  I'll keep checking.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2006, 02:48:30 AM »
Jack is right. Slate does require patience. Sometimes, I have to refresh a number of times before I see one of our ads. Our ads appear on all pages, just intermittent with a great number of other ad campaigns.

Pete

Garry_LH

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2006, 11:00:39 PM »
Don't know if this will be of interest.
http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2006/05/17/2

It looks like as public opinion is swinging towards the idea gay folks should have the right to marriage, or at least it's legal equivalent, the far right is changing tactics again. Looks like we're going to see a lot more of protect our children from gay marriage. Maybe I'm just getting old, but every time I'm around folks that get whacked out about saving their children from the latest boogy man, the hair crawls up the back of my neck with the feeling of, 'what are you doing to your kids you aren't owning up to?'

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2006, 12:40:05 PM »
Curious as to why Slate was chosen for the Best Picture ad.  It's a rightwing flame site that ragged on BM for months.  Shouldn't it be placed where at least some might appreciate it?

I personally don't know anything about SLATE,
but it seems this question deserves a response...

?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2006, 12:45:45 PM »
...the far right is changing tactics again. Looks like we're going to see a lot more of protect our children from gay marriage.

One thing, just throw it back at them by inserting or substituting words in their
reasoning, such as:

Protect our "gay" children from gay marriage.
Protect our children from "inter-racial" marriage.
etc.

Besides, it amuses one to do it as well...