The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 854559 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #5145 on: November 16, 2020, 06:51:50 PM »

Offline frokes

• Obsessed
« Reply #5146 on: November 18, 2020, 08:41:59 AM »
It's lovely to read about the LGBT films that are coming! Also I am impressed by the filmographies of the cast of Brokeback Mountain. Even some of those who had smaller roles in the film have since starred in many films and TV series. 
“An affair with the G train,” he smirked into the floor, his eyes filling with tears. - The Bellwether

"Jack felt D hard beneath his hand. He leaned his forehead against D’s again. “You feel it,” he whispered, barely breathed, not really a question." - Zero at the Bone

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5147 on: November 23, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5148 on: November 30, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5149 on: December 07, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5150 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5151 on: December 15, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
Re: Confrontation in Wyoming article in latest TDS.

Not surprised. Of all the states in the U.S., Wyoming had the largest vote percentage for Trump:

Wyoming       
Cretin: 69.9%
Biden: 26.6%

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #5152 on: December 16, 2020, 01:20:49 AM »
^^^ The Confrontation in Wyoming

The article chilled me to the core.  Wyoming will always be remembered, by me at least, as responsible for creating the killers of Matthew Shepard. My gut wrenched and my spine chilled as I read the article.  A lesbian couple threatened by an organized group of loud, hateful "neighbors" who I have no doubt have been encouraged and gaslit by the GoS's divisive rhetoric and hate speech.   Of all places in the US, Wyoming, some 22 years after Shepar's killing, still has no hate crimes legislation - unbelievable.   It's clear from the article, that many people in those wide expanses, are in the "live-and-let-live" category but it only takes a few loud, hate-spoken bigots to make one feel daily not welcome, not safe.  That's no way to live your life - "ain't none of nobody's business but ours..."

“We can’t be protected by weapons,” Shannon said. “We have an alarm system, surveillance cameras, all of that, but that can only help so much. It gives you a small sense of reducing the risks. But the courts aren’t going to protect us. … It’s just a simple trespass. I guess I just never realized before how vulnerable we are.”

I just don't know what to think about the folks that voted for the GoS anymore and the hateful messages being loudly projected by the GoP.  How these so-called "Christian" people can spout, promote and silently endorse such indecency, disrespect and vileness is beyond my understanding.  Have they been absolutely and totally brainwashed?   I just shake my head and wonder if we will be able to move past this in my lifetime with all the damages done without significant change of hearts, minds and attitudes that we've not seen in a generation.

^^^ The article about the skier Hig Roberts coming out is another reflection of what the Wyoming lesbian couple (above) is feeling. When what ought to be "live-and-let-live" gives way to the deep impacts of fear for your life, fear for your being and seeing hate expressed by people you respect - it's hard to just be.  We need to always be aware of these impacts.  Even what could have been a slight passing comment, which people make, has lasting, significant impact.  My hat's off to this young man. 

"[Being in the closet] took away a lot of the experience and the joy I could have experienced during this life and that’s a shame,” Roberts tells Out. “I had moments of standing on the podium with national titles and still feeling depressed. I was almost in a daze because of the mental anguish I would feel. I had sleepless nights. I had anxiety attacks. I had big bouts of depression. I had to closet all of that from my teammates and my coaches.”

:(.... V.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:05:28 AM by gattaca »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #5153 on: December 16, 2020, 12:37:40 PM »
^^^ The story linked in the above TDS on BBM impact on cinema is well written and is worth the read.  They did get 1 thing wrong, most here will agree that our study says Jack's death was not accidental and not as conveyed by Laureen.

"However, when Ennis reflects on this information, the brutal scene of Jack being bludgeoned to death creeps into his imagination due to the traumatic events witnessed in his childhood. "

Gyllenhaal's quote is succinct and accurate.  IDK if I've seen this quoted before.

Jake Gyllenhaal has been quoted saying, “That what ties these two characters together is not just love, but loneliness. I think primarily it was a deep loneliness. And what I always say about that movie [Brokeback Mountain], which I think maybe over time is more understood, is that this is about two people desperately looking for love. To be loved. And who were probably capable of it. And they just found it with someone of the same sex. And that does not dismiss the fact that it is about, really, primarily, the first kind of very profound gay love story. Hopefully, it can create equality of an idea: that is, it’s possible that you can find love anywhere. That intimacy exists in so many places that convention and society won’t always allow us to see. And we won’t allow ourselves to see, because of what criticism — and danger, really — it might provoke.”    V.

From -> https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/brokeback-mountain-impact-on-cinema/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5154 on: December 22, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5155 on: December 28, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5156 on: January 03, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »

Hello Everyone.

I'm taking a break from TDS this week.  It should return next week.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5157 on: January 03, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »
Thanks for all you do, Chuck!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed