The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1118034 times)

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #660 on: December 11, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »
and I 4th it. When it turned up in the Christmas thread we were delighted by it, this is certainly worthy of TDS!!!
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #661 on: December 12, 2006, 01:38:36 AM »
Yes! Love the Brokeback Mountain Christmas Tree!
I was hoping to see a BBM themed Christmas tree, but that
one's probably the best, knowing the price of Christmas ornaments!
Thank you, Kittyhawk, for getting your camera and sharing it with all
of us!

Offline Oregondoggie

• Expert
« Reply #662 on: December 12, 2006, 02:51:47 AM »
Bah!  Humbuggery, said Aguirre.

Offline Luke-1

• Experienced
« Reply #663 on: December 12, 2006, 07:13:58 AM »
I'm up there with "Bah Humbuggery" BUT I loved the BBM tree ... which I also think was carefully planned and very well done!

Offline TwistsBitch

• Obsessed
  • you inspired me
« Reply #664 on: December 12, 2006, 09:03:47 AM »
The tree was definitely a BBM tribute tree - Kittyhawk should sneak in there & put a miniature copy of the Variety Ad on it!
Welcome to Hotel Brokeback! You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

I rip my heart open / I sew myself shut / My weakness is / That I care too much / My scars remind me / That my past is real / I rip my heart open / Just to feel  Nietzsche

kmich

« Reply #665 on: December 12, 2006, 04:14:54 PM »
Lyle, I just wanted to say that I love your photcap series in today's TDS. I thought it was so beautiful when backtobrokeback submitted it. It must have taken you a long time to put it together. Truly a labor of love, I'm guessing.

Thank you.  :-*

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #666 on: December 12, 2006, 04:32:43 PM »
The tree was definitely a BBM tribute tree - Kittyhawk should sneak in there & put a miniature copy of the Variety Ad on it!

I had thought perhaps a miniature copy of our Beyond Brokeback cover!    ;D

The Dreamgirls/Dreamboys piece this morning caught me offguard. I haven't been teary-eyed over our boys in quite a while but when I listened and then read the lyrics, it got to me! Beautifully done, Mooska!

- KH

Offline jasonwv

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #667 on: December 12, 2006, 06:54:48 PM »
Lyle's Dream caption is awesome. He is one of the masters in the photocaption thread. I'm so glad he posts there.! :)
There never was a good war or a bad peace-
Ben Franklin

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #668 on: December 15, 2006, 12:22:51 PM »
I can't begin my post without first acknowledging Jason's kind comments about me--thank you, Jason.

I wanted to say thanks for the James Schamus interview and link to the entire article.  AfterElton is one of the ONLY places that has dealt with these issues and very well written by Michael Jensen to boot.

It's interesting that besides them, the gay press has pretty much remained silent about it, I still don't  get it.

A couple comments about the interview:

They wanted to put in some deleted scenes. There was a discussion about deleted scenes, but quite frankly, as Ang said, “The reason I deleted them was because I wanted to delete them. So why would I put them in the DVD?”

The conversation implies there would be no "director's cut" of BBM, which I had never expected, but Schamus did not indicate why the "extra scene" footage could not or would not be available for a dvd edition.  I understand they'd want to leave the movie as is, but not why the material wouldn't be included as extras.

I really think there is a very powerful aspect to the things you don't notice. You don't notice when the guy at the water cooler pauses and thinks, “I better not tell this joke because I realize that a lot of people have seen this movie and seem to like it, and maybe it's not safe for me to push it here.”

A post right after the oscars, from member sherryfair, was indicative of what "ampas" did in this regard, and not the film itself.  She wrote that:  "the day after the oscars I walked into my office and one of the guys there came up to me and noticed my mood.  He knew how much I loved BBM and how much I had tried to get the guys in the office to see it, much to my ultimate futility.  I was hoping an oscar win would tell them it was okay to see it.  He said, 'You really didn't think your faggot movie was going to win, did you?'  I walked into my cubicle thinking that the academy had given him the permission to say that."

Also, in the interview, Schamus and Jensen discussed the comments notoriously made by Curtis and Borgnine.
You guys (AfterElton)probably noticed, but nobody else noticed there was no mainstream press pick-up on those comments.

Maybe not "after" Curtis said what he said, but Tony Curtis's comments were first made in an interview on Fox News Channel, pretty mainstream, if you ask me.

...for what it's worth.

Offline LSky94

• Expert
« Reply #669 on: December 15, 2006, 01:14:55 PM »
Also, in the interview, Schamus and Jensen discussed the comments notoriously made by Curtis and Borgnine.
You guys (AfterElton)probably noticed, but nobody else noticed there was no mainstream press pick-up on those comments.

Maybe not "after" Curtis said what he said, but Tony Curtis's comments were first made in an interview on Fox News Channel, pretty mainstream, if you ask me.

...for what it's worth.

My thoughts too. 

Offline playitagain

• Sweet Life
  • Obsessed
  • just sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #670 on: December 15, 2006, 01:45:20 PM »
Yeah. They wanted to put in some deleted scenes. There was a discussion about deleted scenes, but quite frankly, as Ang said, "The reason I deleted them was because I wanted to delete them. So why would I put them in the DVD?"

Good for Ang!
"Why so serious?"

Offline backtobrokeback

• Obsessed
  • Jack, I swear... --
    • The Back To Brokeback Project
« Reply #671 on: December 15, 2006, 01:58:45 PM »
   AfterElton.com: What can you tell me about the director's cut of Brokeback Mountain?
James Schamus: It's not even really a director's cut. . The changes really are very minuscule. They're going to package in some . featurettes about the music, the reception of the film. What you saw [in the theaters] was the director's cut. It's what Ang wanted.
AE: That's good to hear.
JS: Yeah. They wanted to put in some deleted scenes. There was a discussion about deleted scenes, but quite frankly, as Ang said, "The reason I deleted them was because I wanted to delete them. So why would I put them in the DVD?" [Laughs.] That's a pretty good point there, Ang!   

Well, yes and no.  There's a big difference between putting them BACK IN the film (as was done with deleted scenes in Lord of the Rings, mainly to good effect), and putting the deleted scenes on a separate DVD as part of the package.

They may be bad scenes, but they are part of Brokeback, as are the costumes and locations and heck, the director's commentary (not even mentioned).  Fans would like to see them, critics would like to see them, and film historians would like to see them, regardless of how rejected they were by Ang.

I hope he reconsiders. 
The book is Ennis; the movie is Jack. 
Jack's death made the story greater; the Academy's tire iron made the movie greater.
Make the pledge! Go Back to Brokeback whenever, however you can. Join the BTB Project!

elle_ann

« Reply #672 on: December 15, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »
JS: Yeah. They wanted to put in some deleted scenes. There was a discussion about deleted scenes, but quite frankly, as Ang said, "The reason I deleted them was because I wanted to delete them. So why would I put them in the DVD?" [Laughs.] That's a pretty good point there, Ang!   

Backtobrokeback, I agree.

Ang made a brilliant film, none of us have any argument with that. But this comment bothered me quite a bit... and I realize that JS may have been quoting him out of context too, we don't really know what else was said at that time.... and his version, his Director's Cut may well be the best and most perfect version we will ever see ... but imho, this comment shows a disconnect with the reality of what fans want in a Special Edition. Fans today are far more sophisticated than in yesteryear - we like to know WHY the director made the choices he did, and we want him to show us and tell us, share his thoughts and processes with us, engage in a dialogue as it were - using deleted scenes, outtakes, commentary etc.

Ang seems to have removed himself from that dialogue. Of course he has the right to do so - he doesn't need to win us over, he already has us in the palm of his filmmaking hand! But that doesn't mean we have to like it... :(

Offline Yeaah

• Obsessed
  • No explanation necessary... or possible
« Reply #673 on: December 19, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »
For more JBG Birthday tributes, check out:

http://gyllenhaal.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=birthday and

http://gyllenhaal.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=publicwishes

Logins are not required for either site!  ;D
"The only way to play a human being, even a heroic one, is to show the flaws."   ~JBG

Offline WLAGuy

• Obsessed
« Reply #674 on: December 19, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
I'm putting this out there in the hopes that the right person will see this and take action.  The additional takes of Jake and Heath in the FNIT and SNIT would bring a pretty penny if they were available today.  If anyone has access to that additional footage and can squirrel it away, they will be worth a fortune in the future.  I'm just sayin'.