The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1118389 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #690 on: December 21, 2006, 09:03:13 PM »
Not really.

I get asked does this make me look fat to the point where I once said yes honey you look like one of Mothra's eggsacks in that dress. She looked stunned and the eyes popped on every woman in hearing. And i said stop asking me that silly question you didn't look fat 5 minutes ago in the other dress and you dont look fat now. you're a beautiful woman, look in the mirror. And they all smiled so angelicly...

Damn...you're good!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #691 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:50 PM »
I have moments
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Oregondoggie

• Expert
« Reply #692 on: December 21, 2006, 09:25:54 PM »
I have moments

Sure wish there was a 3-D version!

Offline Jer009

• Obsessed
  • Jack and Ennis...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #693 on: December 22, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »
Happy Holidays, folks!

I'd like to thank you all for your fine work. And that new banner looks great.

I have a request. There is, somewhere, a picture of the BBM cast signing a blow-up of the Forum ad after the Oscars scandal. I've used the Search feature for this, and it's not really helping.

Where do you guys suggest I look? If you're not able to respond right away, don't worry. It's the holidays and we're all busy.

Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #694 on: December 22, 2006, 03:46:16 PM »
That story about GLBT youth in the streets sure put a damper on my Xmas mood.
F**k it's revolting how people can be so heartless.
It's beyond my comprehension.

I guess our movie still has a lot of work to do...

Having to hide your love is denying it.

kmich

« Reply #695 on: December 22, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »
Happy Holidays, folks!

I have a request. There is, somewhere, a picture of the BBM cast signing a blow-up of the Forum ad after the Oscars scandal. I've used the Search feature for this, and it's not really helping.

Where do you guys suggest I look? If you're not able to respond right away, don't worry. It's the holidays and we're all busy.

Maybe try the Memorabilia thread, Jer. It's right here: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=10907.0

Other than that, I have no idea where it would be. I don't know that I've ever seen such a picture.

Gonzo

« Reply #696 on: December 22, 2006, 04:39:17 PM »
Happy Holidays, folks!

Maybe try the Memorabilia thread, Jer. It's right here: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=10907.0

Other than that, I have no idea where it would be. I don't know that I've ever seen such a picture.

You might want to ask the PhotoCappers, they seem to know where all the pics are.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #697 on: December 22, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
Marge is there any difference between full screen and wide screen? i have widescreen.

Full screen is wider horizontally and narrower vertically.  Full screen is closer to square.  Generally speaking, wide screen is what you get at a theatre.  Full screen mimics the dimensions of your TV better.  Usually, to get full screen you have to lop off varying sections of the outer ends of the wide screen version.

Gonzo, I know what you are saying here, the conventional wisdom -- but there are some who say that in the case of Brokeback Mountain, there is a bit more "vertical" in the full screen version, so in FNIT (for example) more is visible "below."  Maybe Marge Innavera can comment some more on this, or -- actually I did a Daily Sheet on this one time, based on a very detailed post by -- I think -- rosewood, who said the full screen version of BBM is worth owning.  And watching.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Gonzo

« Reply #698 on: December 22, 2006, 04:49:47 PM »
*damned former editors, think they know everything*

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #699 on: December 22, 2006, 05:46:19 PM »
I'm buying full screen Tellyouwhat.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #700 on: December 23, 2006, 08:33:49 AM »
there are some who say that in the case of Brokeback Mountain, there is a bit more "vertical" in the full screen version, so in FNIT (for example) more is visible "below."  Maybe Marge Innavera can comment some more on this, or -- actually I did a Daily Sheet on this one time, based on a very detailed post by -- I think -- rosewood, who said the full screen version of BBM is worth owning.  And watching.

I own both a wide screen and full screen copy and for our TV I much prefer the full screen, but that seems to depend on the size of your TV.  Our screen measures 17x22 inches (43x56 cm) and the full screen definitely works better for that size. Wide screen seems to add little if any quality, has a smaller viewing window and cuts off a little on the top and bottom. For larger screens, the vertical distortion will get more noticeable, so it's an individual thing.

Of course, some of us fanatical Brokies still want to have both versions!
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Jay63

• Experienced
« Reply #701 on: December 23, 2006, 10:09:19 AM »
Thanks to the Daily Sheet Staff for bringing the 2006 Oscar poster to our attention.   I think it is very touching - and fitting that  a line from Our Favorite Movie be included.  It is a very subtle acknowlegement of the importance of this film.   We all know it was hands-down the best film of 2005.
Happy Holidays everyone!
Jay

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #702 on: December 23, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »
I followed the link to Variety to read the entire list of movie quotes on the poster. Remarkably enough, some years had even two or three quotes included. In 2005 there is only our one BBM quote!  Nothing from Crash. Imagine that!!!  ;D

You all are doing SUCH a great job with TDS. I look forward to it each morning.

- KittyHawk

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #703 on: December 23, 2006, 12:37:21 PM »
Yes, the Oscar poster's nice.

But I still cannot applaud anything ampas related until I've heard someone from there acknowledge homophobia was a cause of last spring's bp outcome.

I think they know how p.o.'d many of us are and have done subtle things to appease those of us that are--things like hiring Ellen Degeneres to be next year's host.  And the quote on the ampas poster from BBM!  Second on the top left--that's the place where anyone who wants to read all the quotes starts to read, or looks at.  (Look!  Everyone!  Your movie's on the poster, right there!  At the top!)  Co-incidence or am I just too cynical about the subject?

Link:
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/oscars/env-pondgantis-18dec18,0,3865671.story?page=1&coll=env-home-headlines

In part of a recent interview with ampas president Sid Ganis from the L.A. Times (link above), the interviewer questions him about people not wanting to see Brokeback Mountain last year.  At first, as usual, he tries to naively shuffle it off by saying "Really?  People didn't want to watch it?  Even with their screeners they were sent?"  As though the interviewer had nothing to back that up with.  So the interviewer mentions two members who were quoted live and in print.  Ganis's reply says he knows very well what the interviewer is talking about:

Ganis: Oh, right, Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine. Yeah. That was weird. I'd say, on the record, that's weird and they shouldn't have voted. Period. I'm surprised at them for thinking that way. They're artists. Why wouldn't they, as artists, be curious about material that's been lauded by their fellow artists?

Forum member LSky94 correctly observes:
Seems like he still needs to "play dumb" regarding the BBM snub.

And forum member daninprov notes:
"Weird"? I think he means "homophobic."

So, until ampas actually acknowledges this, which is all I can seek from that organization because the decision will never be reversed, I regard any inclusion of BBM or G&L persons in regards to their awards with great suspicion.  And when academy officials like Mr. Ganis "play dumb" about it instead of truth-telling, well, then people who are able to should call them on it. Seems the gay press won't do it, with the exception of AfterElton, so I keep bringing it up.

I learned once that to deal with hurt from someone, an individual OR an organization, you should let them know.  Well, from reading the Awards Aftermath thread all year, many people were hurt by this because the result was from homophobia, both circumstantial AND documented.  The fact that the press will not address it, even the gay press, or ampas, is starting to sting more than ampas's continual downplaying or brushing it aside as false.   (You notice when ever the homophobia issue is brought up, academy spokesman always side-step it to the issue of not having seen the film, so they shouldn't have voted. Not the REASON for not seeing/voting for it.)  So, I will keep bringing this aspect up until it becomes acknowledged.

In the meantime, to me the most relevant movie quote on ampas's new oscar poster is right above oscar's head:  "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #704 on: December 23, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »
I don't really care what the Academy does. It's the glitz and glamour award. I don't know anybody under the age of 40 who even watches it anymore. More and more people look to the Globes and BAFTA.

Oscar is screwing himself and that's too bad. It's an award  declining in importance, bit by bit, year by year. Ten years ago nobody in the US gave a damned about the Golden Globes. now they are 'The Thing'.

They added a quote. So what.