The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1118020 times)

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #900 on: February 12, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »
Now wouldn't it be great if Larry Miller did a special srceening of BBM?

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #901 on: February 12, 2007, 08:57:10 AM »
hopes Miller's new open-mindedness will make him a "bellwether for LDS culture."

:D    What a great image!   A bellwether is a castrated goat wearing a bell.   ;) :)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #902 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
some of us on the Film threads have decided that the tel call in Aguirre's office, considering the time and day, WAS/MAY have been from Jack's partner of the year before and Aguirre--notice his little glance upwards, towards JT-- KNEW they'd shagged  more then the sheep that summer...when JT was 18

Well, for one thing, I guess I hope you don't mean a few have decided, and I hope it is not presented this way in the film threads, because while it may make sense to a few people, it is a pretty far reach-- we have no way of knowing what that phone call is about, there is nothing to suggest it is about Jack, and it is not in the story.

As a photocap I love it, but -- it is just a bit of business, recently discussed in the "dislikes about Brokeback thread--"[/b] the best reason for that phone call was given by Lance, who thought it was to demonstrate Aquirre's sour personality, and also to provide a shot long enough to highlight the binoculars in the background--and to give Ennis and Jack a chance to look at each other, secretly, so they thought.  Because this phone call is only in the movie, I would say that these cinematic motives are probably the only reason for the phone call.  It is not in the story and IMO does not have anything to do with Jack, who is nothing more than a deuce goin' nowhere at that point.

Sorry I won't comment on this anymore in this thread, and probably no where else since I expect others have already reacted with similar incredulity in other threads.

sorry des. sometimes OT is sort of compulsive.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:47:46 AM by tellyouwhat »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #903 on: February 12, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
I'm of 2 minds here. Part of me accepts the feeling that macho jocks will walk watching BBM when they came for a football game, while feeling frustrated by it. Part of me is just as annoyed by gay heterophobia as it is by straight homophobia. I dislike both, having been the target of both.

The article does not say the guys were in the trailer to watch a football game.  Mark just states that all of them in the trailer were football guys.

You know...NOT gay.  Cause gays can't be football guys.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #904 on: February 12, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
well, my impression is that they were there to watch football, which is what I got out of it.

In any case i no longer care. If Mark wants to be silly, then let him be silly.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Janie-G

• Inspired by beauty Account deactivated per member's request
  • Obsessed
  • Redlined all the way
« Reply #905 on: February 13, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »
Friends this message is a long time overdue.I want to thank all you people who have contacted me to say how much you,ve enjoyed the paintings and drawings run in TDS.The one of Jack and the lamb seemed to strike a particular chord,maybe because that special quality of Jack's gentle tenderness crept in there.Or perhaps you were all so jealous of the sheep! ;) So thanks a lot,your opinions and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Janie.
In the words of the great Ron Weasley, "That's bloody brilliant!"
http://janie-g.deviantart.com/

Offline HerrKaiser

• Experienced
« Reply #906 on: February 13, 2007, 12:46:18 PM »
[

Discomfort with this subject by straight men is homophobia.  The discomfort is caused by fear. 

In my opinion, this is not the case, in general. To suggest that a person who is uncomfortable with something has some sort of abnormalsy is, ironically, the same "problem" that is being suggested MW has. By your definition, discomfort is a no no which is absurd. One need need not be comfortable wtih any particular subject, issue, experience, etc, to be perfectly capable and accepting and tolerant of others who choose to be more comfortable or more interested. to suggest there ought not be any personal likes, dislikes, 'comfort zones' etc is to suggest that everyone should be the same. Not sure this would be a good idea. I think MW's comments were honest, interesting, and totally acceptable.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #907 on: February 13, 2007, 09:06:33 PM »
Thanks for such a nice TDS today about Jake on the red carpet.  How exciting for our lashers who saw him.  The story was nicely edited and the pics devine.

And we continue to hope Jake is going to make it through his twenties as the wonderful balanced guy he has shown himself to be so far!  xxoo
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #908 on: February 13, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
I second that, it was a nice article to read. What got me was jake's detached professionalism, he's a star, he knows how to behave. He's private, didn't make eye contact yet was the perferct polished man to his fans, even to the point of bringing a pen to sign autographs.

Professional with class; I have a feeling this guy will stay a star for a long time.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #909 on: February 14, 2007, 12:20:25 PM »
Discomfort with this subject by straight men is homophobia.  The discomfort is caused by fear.

In my opinion, this is not the case, in general. To suggest that a person who is uncomfortable with something has some sort of abnormalsy is, ironically, the same "problem" that is being suggested MW has. By your definition, discomfort is a no no which is absurd. One need need not be comfortable wtih any particular subject, issue, experience, etc, to be perfectly capable and accepting and tolerant of others who choose to be more comfortable or more interested. to suggest there ought not be any personal likes, dislikes, 'comfort zones' etc is to suggest that everyone should be the same. Not sure this would be a good idea. I think MW's comments were honest, interesting, and totally acceptable.

Some people have a fear of heights, acrophobia.  So they are  uncomfortable in tall buildings, bridges, etc.  It does not mean they don't have to negotiate being in tall buildings or bridges at some times.  It doesn't mean they "hate" tall buildings or bridges.  People who have phobias don't necessarily hate the thing they have a phobia about, although because it's fear based, which includes discomfort, it can lead to hateful acts sometimes.

Most people will admit a phobia they have.  People do not, however, like to admit they might be homophobic because that is a phobia that involves other humans and no one really wants to think of themselves in that way .  It's an idea that never occurred to me before a few months ago when it was introduced in an article--that homophobia may not always indicate hate.  Fear does not equal hate.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #910 on: February 14, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »
Thanks for such a nice TDS today about Jake on the red carpet.  How exciting for our lashers who saw him.  The story was nicely edited and the pics devine.

And we continue to hope Jake is going to make it through his twenties as the wonderful balanced guy he has shown himself to be so far!  xxoo

I hope so too, these are formative years as far as his career and life goes.  I hope he keeps his head screwed on right.  I think his sister, parents etc.  are a big influence on him.  :)

FUNGURL

Offline TwistsBitch

• Obsessed
  • you inspired me
« Reply #911 on: February 14, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »
TDS was perfect for Valentine's Day, it felt romantic even for a web-based thingy!  :)
Welcome to Hotel Brokeback! You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

I rip my heart open / I sew myself shut / My weakness is / That I care too much / My scars remind me / That my past is real / I rip my heart open / Just to feel  Nietzsche

Offline HerrKaiser

• Experienced
« Reply #912 on: February 14, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

Some people have a fear of heights, acrophobia.  So they are  uncomfortable in tall buildings, bridges, etc.  It does not mean they don't have to negotiate being in tall buildings or bridges at some times.  It doesn't mean they "hate" tall buildings or bridges.  People who have phobias don't necessarily hate the thing they have a phobia about, although because it's fear based, which includes discomfort, it can lead to hateful acts sometimes.

Most people will admit a phobia they have.  People do not, however, like to admit they might be homophobic because that is a phobia that involves other humans and no one really wants to think of themselves in that way .  It's an idea that never occurred to me before a few months ago when it was introduced in an article--that homophobia may not always indicate hate.  Fear does not equal hate.

I am confuse your point, although trying very hard to figure it out. It appears you are suggesting there is a parallel between MW's "discomfort" with acting out a gay love scene (and extrapilating this to the general population of straight people who may be uncomfortable with this as well) with fear of heights, and that somehow fear leads to hateful acts.

I think you are very much overlooking the fact that people have likes and dislikes that have nothing to do with fear, acts of hate, or hate. the word 'homophobia' was invented, I think erroneously, to label people who may not endorse certain aspects of gay life; again, it may have nothing to do with 'fear'. There is nothing wrong with gravitating toward things one likes and not gravitatitng toward things one does not like.

One can respect and support something without participating or being comfortable in its arena. What I am sensing you are looking for is not acceptance by others, rather that they convert somehow to your own reality.

Offline desperadum

• Meli's Love Slave
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Tell you what
« Reply #913 on: February 14, 2007, 01:55:53 PM »
Hey all - The off-topic lurching has been brought to my attention by others, who have asked that this thread remain devoted to responding to The Daily Sheet. So please continue disucssions of homophobia, etc., in the appropriate threads in The Gay Experience, ok? Many thanks for your cooperation.

And, yes, Red Carpet Jake was mighty fine.

Des

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #914 on: February 14, 2007, 02:27:37 PM »
Hey all - The off-topic lurching has been brought to my attention by others, who have asked that this thread remain devoted to responding to The Daily Sheet. So please continue disucssions of homophobia, etc., in the appropriate threads in The Gay Experience, ok? Many thanks for your cooperation.

And, yes, Red Carpet Jake was mighty fine.

Des

Hey Des...

LONG time!

One more post and ya hit 1000!

About time, eh?

Loved today's Daily Sheet!
Old Brokeback got me good...