The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Mourning Someone Who Has Died  (Read 594201 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Mourning Someone Who Has Died
« Reply #3930 on: September 11, 2022, 01:03:07 PM »

Jack, John, Ellen at the Castro theater.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3931 on: September 11, 2022, 02:56:57 PM »

Oregon Doggie,  Mario,  Jack at  SF gathering

Glad you got one with his coffee cup. He had a coffee cup in which he could keep about an entire carafe of coffee in. I remember having words with him at the BBQ to let him know he should let others have coffee as well. I had forgotten he was in SF at the Castro! Glad you caught a picture of him talking to the woman from Bettermost with the lamb hat!

He was a unique person, and was very strong in his opinions.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3932 on: September 11, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »
Glad you got one with his coffee cup. He had a coffee cup in which he could keep about an entire carafe of coffee in. I remember having words with him at the BBQ to let him know he should let others have coffee as well. I had forgotten he was in SF at the Castro! Glad you caught a picture of him talking to the woman from Bettermost with the lamb hat!

He was a unique person, and was very strong in his opinions.

Yes, he was strong in his opinions.

As for his coffee cup,  when the pic above was originally posted, his reply was that he was shocked the mug didn't get a mention in the credits.  LOL

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #3933 on: September 11, 2022, 04:08:54 PM »

:'(
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3934 on: September 12, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »
I miss Jack's posts - I enjoyed them

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #3935 on: September 12, 2022, 08:16:49 AM »
Jack was the first person to greet me when I came to this forum.

donna,

many who will read this here have shared that experience, either from his side or your side, and many of us were forced to relive that grief and guilt by this story.  in fact this was the area in which the movie surpassed the short story, in telling of the effects on those OTHER than jack and ennis.  it is to be hoped that, while painful, your experience did not have time to do the damage incurred by the many alma and lureens, including my own ex-wife of 13 years, who will be exposed to this.

my deepest regrets that you carry this scar, and my hopes that you may now finish the healing.

Rest in peace.
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #3936 on: September 13, 2022, 11:13:17 AM »
A larger than life man.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3937 on: September 13, 2022, 04:41:50 PM »
The extraordinary Aboriginal elder Uncle Jack Charles has died of a stroke at the age of 79.

He had a estremely hard life. He was born in the Daish camp on the fringes of Shepparton in Victoria and taken by the government from his parents at the age of 4 months. All his mother Blanche's 13 children were taken from her. He was put in the Box Hill Boys Home at the age of 2 and suffered horrific abuse there. He had no memory of his parents and didn't know he was Aboriginal until after he was released from the boys Home at the age of 14.

He found his traumatised mother when he was 18. It was only in 2021 that he did a DNA test which led to his late father being traced. He was able ro trace his remarkable ancestors.

Uncle Jack Charles became the father of Aboriginal theatre in Australia. He appeared in films ( the first was The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith) and TV series, including Cleverman and Preppers. His story-telling talents  made mainstream audiences aware of the suffering the Stolen Generations and the intergenerational trauma. He toured internationally with is play Jack Charles vs the Crown.

He was the recently the first witness to give evidence to the Yoorrook Truth Commission in Victoria which is documenting the effect of colonisation Indigenous people as part of a process leading up to treaties.

Uncle Jack Charles at one time had a male partner, but tragically they couldn't maintain the relationship because of the emotional damage of the abuse he suffered in the Box Hill Boys Home. He spent many years living on the streets and was addicted to heroin. In those years he was a cat burglar. He called it collecting the rent, meaning for the land stolen from his people. He was jailed many times.

In recent years he mentored young Aboriginal people on the streets and in prisons.

Members of his extended family were able to hold a smoking ceremony for him in the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3938 on: September 13, 2022, 09:03:22 PM »
Sounds like he had a life more difficult than most.

The fact that he opted to help others speaks of his character.    Good thoughts to his family, may they have happy memories of him.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3939 on: September 14, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
Sounds like he had a life more difficult than most.

The fact that he opted to help others speaks of his character.    Good thoughts to his family, may they have happy memories of him.

His hard life was typical of many people who were stolen from their families and their descendants. He played an important role in educating the mainstream about the issues.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3940 on: September 14, 2022, 08:32:41 PM »
I've just found out that the local cabaret musician Tim Lewis, who I became friends with after writing about, has died. May his memory be a blessing!

https://www.ebar.com/story.php?ch=bartab&sc=barchive&id=286484
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3941 on: September 15, 2022, 03:23:04 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Tim.  Sounds like he really loved music, and performing it live.

Love the photo of him at the piano, it feels very vintage.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3942 on: September 15, 2022, 11:25:38 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Tim.  Sounds like he really loved music, and performing it live.

Love the photo of him at the piano, it feels very vintage.

He was one of the good ones! He had some kind of long term illness and I could tell he was sick the last few times I saw him.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3943 on: September 15, 2022, 07:21:52 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and great talent, Michael. May he be remembered for a life well lived.

"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3944 on: September 16, 2022, 11:20:05 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and great talent, Michael. May he be remembered for a life well lived.

Thanks Linda. He was a sweet little guy.