The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Mourning Someone Who Has Died  (Read 695329 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: Mourning Someone Who Has Died
« Reply #780 on: July 01, 2007, 07:43:20 PM »
i am happy you know that linda...
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #781 on: July 01, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »
Dan, thanks for sharing your personal stories!  What lovely thoughts!

Auntie, I know that Rick is looking down on you and smiling!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #782 on: July 01, 2007, 08:43:41 PM »
i am happy you know that linda...

Thanks Jack  :-*  It has been a journey  :-*
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #783 on: July 02, 2007, 05:18:22 AM »
Dan, thank you for sharing the story of the butterflies.  How beautiful....

Long ago my grandmother gave me cuttings from a family heirloom Christmas cactus.  I nurtured it and took great care with it, but it never bloomed.......until after she died.   

Rick has been on my shoulder for awhile now during all my changes and I see his smile. He knows I am happy. I feel like I am living again as you are.

This is beautiful.....
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #784 on: July 05, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »
Today is  the first anniversary of my Mother's death. I want to thank you again for the many messages sent to me at that time. This Forum was such a blessing to me at that time. I have kept them all and passed them onto my sister. I do feel for those of you who have posted since re your losses but am not as eloquent as many of you and it seems a bit paltry to say "me too"
My mother's last words as my sister and I stood by her was "together" and yesterday (the day if not the date) we went to the Sydney Symphony at the Opera House to hear Mahler's 6th. We have a subscription series which we cancelled in the last year of Mum's life as the two of us could not leave her at the same time. Since her death we have gone to lunch and movies together fairly regularly and went round the world together in April-May so hopefully we are fulfilling her last wish. I know mum was largely worried about me as my sister has a husband but I am all alone. There are no other members of our family except cousins who live 100's of miles away and we rarely see.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #785 on: July 05, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »
Brian, it doesn't matter if you are "eloquent" or not.  Your thoughts and heart are in the right place, and knowing that you were here for us means a lot.

Sending you hugs and love.

Chuck

Offline DeTina

• Feet Wet
« Reply #786 on: July 07, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »
Hi, Has anyone had the experience of a loved one's death hitting you months after the death? I thought I had done my crying and that I was doing okay, but now 9 months later I'm suddenly realizing omg my Mom is gone! She was quite impaired for a couple of years before she died, so I feel like after she died I mourned the loss of that old lady who I cared for and now I'm thinking about my "real" Mom--my Mom who was well my Mom all those years. My Dad and mother in law died two years ago and my older brother died  ten years ago. I recently completed an 8 week  bereavement group run by our hospice, which was good but in some ways just made me feell all those losses even more. My brother and sister seem to be handling everything very differently than me.

I so appreciate reading the other entries here. I just found this and have read only a few pages.Thanks

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
  • There are places we can't return
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #787 on: July 07, 2007, 11:37:47 PM »
Hi, Has anyone had the experience of a loved one's death hitting you months after the death? I thought I had done my crying and that I was doing okay, but now 9 months later I'm suddenly realizing omg my Mom is gone! She was quite impaired for a couple of years before she died, so I feel like after she died I mourned the loss of that old lady who I cared for and now I'm thinking about my "real" Mom--my Mom who was well my Mom all those years. My Dad and mother in law died two years ago and my older brother died  ten years ago. I recently completed an 8 week  bereavement group run by our hospice, which was good but in some ways just made me feell all those losses even more. My brother and sister seem to be handling everything very differently than me.

I so appreciate reading the other entries here. I just found this and have read only a few pages.Thanks

Hello De Tina. I just read your post and it reminded me so much of what I've been feeling over the past 10 days or so. I lost my  mother this January and I had posted quite a bit about it on this thread. I think you have come to the right place because I can tell you that the people here held me up and helped me to steer through the initial days of feeling the loss of a person who was quite different in the last two weeks of her life from the one I knew as my mom. Now six months later,  the reality of having actually lost my mother, has hit me. I lost the elder of my two brothers six years ago and I find myself suddenly feeling this void along with the sense of of loss of my mom.  I can imagine how much harder it must be hitting you as your mother was impaired for all of two years. Over those two years it would have been a struggle for you to try and reach the person you know and love  through the altered persona that she would have conveyed. 

In some ways I think going back and dwelling on the bereavement can hurt more. This tends to happen during some of these coping programs. I think it might have sharpened the perception of your losses and made you feel the combined impact of all of them. I really have not found a way to work through what I'm experiencing right now, except that I'm confident that speaking up here will definitely lead me to something. And perhaps once we have let ourselves be hit by the worst of the feelings, it will start to get better from that point.
It does feel so much better to be in it together and sharing with one another.
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything
you believe about yourself"

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #788 on: July 08, 2007, 01:34:19 AM »
When my mother died, an ex-student sent me an email "You'll always miss your mum."
I think this is so true. I was talking to a lady in her 70's whose eyes filled with tears as she told me about her mum who died when she was in her 20's.
I have seen my sister's eyes (like you she cared for my mum until the last) fill with tears as we talk about it now being a year since Mum passed away. I also am beginning to remember more things from when Mum was much younger and miss those aspects of her rather than the frail little old lady I had to spoon feed in the last few weeks.

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #789 on: July 08, 2007, 02:28:46 AM »
I have seen my sister's eyes (like you she cared for my mum until the last) fill with tears as we talk about it now being a year since Mum passed away. I also am beginning to remember more things from when Mum was much younger and miss those aspects of her rather than the frail little old lady I had to spoon feed in the last few weeks.

((((((Brian))))))) you are so right. And these things we miss, the recollections of a younger, stronger person will also sustain us
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything

Offline Tigs

• THE Cowntess
  • Obsessed
  • The Cowntess and The Girls!
« Reply #790 on: July 08, 2007, 05:09:24 AM »

I lost my Dad 10 years ago, at the time it didn't really hit me. He had been a healthy and happy 63 year old man.  I cried at the funeral, but had to be strong for my Mum.  I sorted out all the paperwork after Dad died to take the stress away from my Mum.

Six months later it hit me like a steamroller!  My Dad would never be coming home.  I suffered a slight mental breakdown and thanks to the love and support from my closest friends I got through it.  It does happen but eventually you will get over it.  I now think of my Dad and all I see are happy memories of my childhood, growing into a woman and of the last day he was alive. I smile to myself quite a bit thinking of him!!  I agree with Brian - you will always miss them!!

Sending thoughts, love and hugs your way

Sal      ;D
Throwing cows over hedges!!   "Crazy Cat Lady" - MF!!!   I am a toilet!!

Offline beckela

• Obsessed
  • Jake Junkie
« Reply #791 on: July 08, 2007, 07:37:11 AM »
My mother died in 1975 at age 50. I, too, had to support others at the time -- my father and my younger brother. Ten years later it hit me -- yes, ten years!  The sobs that suddenly, inexplicably wracked me came from the depths of my very soul. I have never cried like that -- ever! And haven't since.

All I can say is don't question it, just let it happen. You WILL get through it and be better off for it. We all tend to "stuff" our deepest feelings, and it is the worst thing we can do to ourselves. We lose touch with other important feelings as a result -- and there are inevitably physical ramifications as well. Talking with someone close to you is a must, someone who will just let you talk AND cry and not try to "fix it" for you. There is no fixing; you have to let it overtake you and do its healing in its own way.

No doubt easier said than done, but there it is. My heart aches for all who have lost someone dear -- recently or long ago.
I'm against a homogenized society, because I want the cream to rise.
 -- Robert Frost

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #792 on: July 08, 2007, 07:50:03 AM »

All I can say is don't question it, just let it happen. You WILL get through it and be better off for it. We all tend to "stuff" our deepest feelings, and it is the worst thing we can do to ourselves. We lose touch with other important feelings as a result -- and there are inevitably physical ramifications as well. Talking with someone close to you is a must, someone who will just let you talk AND cry and not try to "fix it" for you. There is no fixing; you have to let it overtake you and do its healing in its own way.

These are beautiful and wise words .. yes I think we need to surrender to the very real feelings that grab hold of us and not suppress them. I'm so relieved and thankful to have this place where people let you talk and cry and do not try to FIX anything.
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #793 on: July 08, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »
Dear John,

Today I was listening to your last CD 'The Ape of Naples' and heard the lyrics to 'Fire of the Mind' ('Does death come alone or with eager reinforcements?') and was overcome.  I still miss you.  It makes no sense, but then, I suppose it never will.

I still love you and your music and am so very, very sad that it ended the way it did.

love always,

Michael

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Balance

http://equ.in/ox/music/coil/lyrics_ape_of_naples.php
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #794 on: July 08, 2007, 08:18:47 PM »
repost from caring thread::

thank you...
thanks lydia...

i went to a meeting last night i haven't been to for a while.  (we rented a car for the weekend for chores).  i never noticed before, but they read this dopey paragraph from something, i don't even know what, and they call it peace of mind.

what is says, briefly, is that the amount of peace of mind you take away from a situation is directly proportional to the peace of mind you bring to it.  i really haven't been doing that good of a job contributing to my mother's peace of mind in any way she can appreciate it.  i think its a guy thing.  we go after the mechanics of a situation rather than try to give the other what they are actually asking for.  that is especially difficult for me in this instance because little shy of self immolation might suffice, and even that would be met with disapproval of the abandonment inherent in the act.

i think lovely and  someone else helped me out over on the mourning thread, talking about missing the mother they REALLY remembered., and i realized that MY mother really hasn't been there since my father's death.  she had put ALL her faith in him, rather than in any god or man.  his passing destroyed her world, and she lives on only because it was so ordered, and she wouldn't displease him by giving up.

KNOW i remember the vivacious intelligent caring woman of many years ago, and i can mourn her passing, as no flashes of her remain in this fearful negative shell, at least none that i can find.

my best wish for her is that she can relax into a childlike existence that i have seen some memory impaired patience arrive at.  each day a delight of new things, no matter how oft repeated.

in the meantime...
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."