The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 263913 times)

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
Re: G'day!
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »
I don't know if anyone watched the Talking Heads (ABC2) interview with John-Michael Howson last night. it was up against A Current Affair but I am a bit sick of the Great Escape now,
Anyway i nearly threw things at thescreen when the following occurred

PETER THOMPSON: In those days in Western Australia as you were growing up, when did you decide you were gay?

JOHN-MICHAEL HOWSON: Oh, I think about 17 - 16, 17.

PETER THOMPSON: Was it hard in those days?

JOHN-MICHAEL HOWSON: I never found it hard because I never thought about it much. You know, I'll tell you what I honestly thought. I thought... I was reading - this is in the '50s - reading 'The City and the Pillar' and 'Finisterre', but the only thing about all those books, it's a bit like 'Brokeback Mountain', which I thought was a miserably depressing film. They always had to die at the end, you know. "For your sins, you will die!" But I used to read all this stuff and think, "I think I'm a bit like the blokes in that book." (Stammers) And it wasn't even a physical/sexual thing, it was an emotional attachment to men, you know. I think that probably comes from my, you know, my childhood. I always was around men and I liked being with those men. I really loved it, but in a non-sexual way - purely as a thing that I could identify with.

And then, eventually, I - I love the word - "came out" to the family, and my mother said, "Oh, darling, it takes all types to make a world." And my stepfather, same thing. I mean, they were very... And my stepfather was a real rugged character, you know. He was an ex-cop who became a publican and had learned to tap dance, so when he had a few drinks, up on the bar and was Fred Astaire. So, you can imagine with a dad like I had and a stepfather like I had, I mean, I loved them - they were fabulous people

I have just sent the following comment
I was very angry with John-Michael's comment about Brokeback Mountain. It was easy for him, flamboyantly gay in the entertainment business where people laughed at him. Those of us who worked in "straight" profession like teaching had to hide our sexuality and still face people who think that all gays have limp wrists and are outrageously camp. Brokeback showed the reality for many men in the 50's & 60's

In fact I think people like J M made life more difficult for us.

Not sure where else on this forum would be appropriate for this message

Offline BBM-Intern

• Feet Wet
  • The one moment we all long for in our lives
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2006, 02:42:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

The 2003 version of the screenplay has been floating around for quite a while, that was until the "Story to Screenplay" came out and the publishers realy cracked down on distributing it.  But, I managed to get hold of a copy, and boy, is it different to the "official" (film tie-in) version.  Sorry to hear about the pdf not printing, PM me and we'll see what we can do to fix that...

BTW, the 2004 version was purchased from ebay - probably paid too much, but don't have time to go hunting for it elsewhere.  Just noticed, the April 2004 version has the "dozy embrace" scene much earlier in the story, while they were still on the mountain - definitely the wrong place to put that scene, IMHO.

Had another laugh at Scene 104: ... it's when Jack and Ennis meet up at the campsite at the "you're late" scene, and Ennis offers a couple of cans of beans

Jack: Beans.
Ennis: And I'm gonna fix 'em just the way you like 'em, spoon 'em cold straight from the can.
Jack: I'll eat 'em from your hand, if you're willin' to breathe the consequences after that tent gets zippered up tonight.

Hahaha!
Love is the only force of nature to embrace, fear is not the alternative.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2006, 05:17:31 AM »
Does anybody speak French? amazon.fr is talking about a Special Edition DVD:
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FGG7H4/ref%3Dpd%5Fsims%5Fdp/402-1142504-0240928

I've been browsing the amazon.com forums for the DVD and somebody said the British (region 2) DVD is slightly different from the US (region 1) one, at least with some of the subtitles. I was going to check up on this as this has happened for other movies too, and it's one reason why my aforementioned friend likes to buy Region 2 versions. This whole DVD region scheme REALLY BLOWS! I hate it so much I only own half a dozen region-encoded DVDs instead of the big libraries half my friends have.

Anyway, if you bought the DVD from amazon.com it's pretty well guaranteed to be region 1 as they assume their customers are US/Canada. Oddly, the webpage says 'unknown' for Region. Very helpful - not.

BBM-Intern, where did you order the 2004 screenplay from? There's been mention of it on other threads. I downloaded a copy of the 2003 screenplay from savefile but some of the pages won't print so it's turning into a tedious process.

Somebody posted a link to a short clip from the DeGeneres interview, Jake literally falls over laughing. He's too adorable! I liked his performance in "The Good Girl" although his role was a bit too much of a reprise of Donnie Darko and didn't stretch his acting skills.

Just for your info, you may find it interesting to note that the French synchronization uses a Québec accent even in the European version, in order to give the dialog a bit more North American feel to it.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2006, 05:26:46 AM »
Oh ok, I read a post a few nights ago about a screenplay on sale on eBay and I guess it's the same one. Did anybody else notice the dreadful printing error in the published screenplay, where the dates suddenly go backwards for a few pages? the scenes being described are not a flashback, so I'm assuming some pages from a previous draft of the screenplay got mixed up. I wish publishing houses would hire proofreaders again - I'm getting very tired of stupid errors like this in every book I buy these days.

There's a scene where Ennis presents Jack with beans in the published screenplay too, not quite the same as the one you quote. Has anybody managed to get the DVD to work and looked for this scene in the Deleted Scenes? I haven't looked at all the threads on this forum yet, it would be nice if somebody's gone to the trouble of compiling all the differences between the screenplay and final cut and save me doing it.

Your post has made me try printing the 2003 screenplay again, skipping those pages that don't work. Looks like some dodgy postscript every so often. *mutter mumble*

Brian, good on you for pointing out the obvious. So many people are prepared to accept homosexuals as long as they stick to 'entertainment' (a revealing name for the industry) and act the clown or queen all day long, but woe betide them if they want to be more than an amusing toy or pet and be treated like a real person. A LOT of the posts on IMDb have said how heartening it is to see homosexuals being portrayed as ordinary hard-working guys and not citified, dandified hairdressers. Did you end up posting that anywhere else? I had a quick look and yeah, none of the other threads jumped out and said 'post it here'.

Can't really think of much else to say right now...

Offline campfire

• Experienced
  • What a beautiful smile / can you stay for a while?
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2006, 07:48:47 AM »

Had another laugh at Scene 104: ... it's when Jack and Ennis meet up at the campsite at the "you're late" scene, and Ennis offers a couple of cans of beans

Jack: Beans.
Ennis: And I'm gonna fix 'em just the way you like 'em, spoon 'em cold straight from the can.
Jack: I'll eat 'em from your hand, if you're willin' to breathe the consequences after that tent gets zippered up tonight.

Hahaha!

I have got the Story to Screenplay book from Amazon.. It does not have the scene numbers like 2003 version..

Beans joke.. That  was a good one..:)

I wonder if there will be ever a dvd version with all deleted scenes..
He came into his life 
like wildfire during Indian summer;
Full of bright light
and uncontainable fierceness.
And even when Jack was gone,
Ennis still felt that warm presence
nuzzled in the depths of his heart..

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2006, 02:46:46 PM »
Brian, good on you for pointing out the obvious. So many people are prepared to accept homosexuals as long as they stick to 'entertainment' (a revealing name for the industry) and act the clown or queen all day long, but woe betide them if they want to be more than an amusing toy or pet and be treated like a real person. A LOT of the posts on IMDb have said how heartening it is to see homosexuals being portrayed as ordinary hard-working guys and not citified, dandified hairdressers. Did you end up posting that anywhere else? I had a quick look and yeah, none of the other threads jumped out and said 'post it here'.
Thanks Photondancer. I did post it on "Masculine & gay mutually exclusive " thread last night but no-one has commented. That thread was dead for about a month.

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
MellorSJ, your DVD player is perhaps a little old? all the models sold in the last couple of years have been multi region thanks to the Dept of Fair Trade actually living up to its name for once. What model is it? my laptop plays region 1 quite happily and it might be possible to use it as an input. I have friends who just love figuring out how to hook things up. :-)

It's a Panasonic SA-HT 70 bought in 2002.  I'm not keen to buy a new one just now, but I'll trek down the store and see what they have.  Pity Oz is the most expensive country in this region for electronics.

I tried, just now, to plug my computer in to the TV.  I have only one plug available for this test, and that's the same size as the headphone jack.  Putting those two together produced no sound or picture, but at least neither the computer nor the screen blew up!  Maybe you could pose that to one of your friends?  (I'm assuming you'll be  able to come, and bring your laptop?)

(I have a mechanical switch with several inputs: One is the VCR, one the DVD, the other is open.  The switch has all RCA plugs, and the other end is that headphone jack looking thing. My computer presumably outputs through the USB port?)

Wolf: Thanks hugely for the offer of the region four DVD.  From what you say, the quality sounds so low as to be distracting :(

My, this makes me cross!

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2006, 11:58:09 PM »
It's a Panasonic SA-HT 70 bought in 2002.  I'm not keen to buy a new one just now, but I'll trek down the store and see what they have.  Pity Oz is the most expensive country in this region for electronics.

On the back panel there should be a little picture of a world and a number/s stamped on it, like the ones on the DVD cover. It will probably have the number 4. My googling suggests that cracking region-encoding on this model requires you to buy a special remote control. That seems like too much trouble, considering you can buy multi-region players from K-Mart for $100. Maybe somebody has a multi-region DVD player they could bring over?

I don't know why I assumed the DVD player was needed, laptops can be directly plugged into tvs. Must have been tired. What model tv do you have?

I tried, just now, to plug my computer in to the TV.  I have only one plug available for this test, and that's the same size as the headphone jack.  Putting those two together produced no sound or picture, but at least neither the computer nor the screen blew up!  Maybe you could pose that to one of your friends?  (I'm assuming you'll be  able to come, and bring your laptop?)

Actually I can't come that day, I fly up to Darwin in the evening. I presume you chose the 3rd for a reason, but I'd be free the next weekend.

(I have a mechanical switch with several inputs: One is the VCR, one the DVD, the other is open.  The switch has all RCA plugs, and the other end is that headphone jack looking thing. My computer presumably outputs through the USB port?)

This sort of thing is usually done through S-Video ports. I will check if my laptop has S-Video out, I think it does, and you'll need a S-Video in. It sounds like you only have RCA (if it looks like a headphone jack) but adaptors can be bought from electronics shops. This only does the video, you also need to connect the audio from the computer's headphone jack to your tv's sound system with stereo cables.

Apologies for all the techy details for the uninterested, looking up all this is more fun than working...

The region 4 DVD is released here on July 20, looks the same as the region 1 version. I still want to know why the French are getting a 2-disc version!

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2006, 12:42:19 AM »
On the back panel there should be a little picture of a world and a number/s stamped on it, like the ones on the DVD cover. It will probably have the number 4. My googling suggests that cracking region-encoding on this model requires you to buy a special remote control. That seems like too much trouble, considering you can buy multi-region players from K-Mart for $100. Maybe somebody has a multi-region DVD player they could bring over?
Lo!  So there is! 

Actually I can't come that day, I fly up to Darwin in the evening. I presume you chose the 3rd for a reason, but I'd be free the next weekend.
Actually, it's arbitrary.  Decided to pick a date and see what happened.  June 10th works for me, but see below.

This sort of thing is usually done through S-Video ports. I will check if my laptop has S-Video out, I think it does, and you'll need a S-Video in. It sounds like you only have RCA (if it looks like a headphone jack) but adaptors can be bought from electronics shops. This only does the video, you also need to connect the audio from the computer's headphone jack to your tv's sound system with stereo cables.
Golly!  That sounds like more hardware.  And, knowing me, more blue smoke.

Yes, I seem to have RCA on everything.  I have a flat plasma screen with no tuner.  The DVD player supplies the sound and the VCR supplies the TV tuner.  The TV signal comes in on co-ax to the DVD player. Then (RCA all the way), the signal is split: video to the aforementioned box, and audio to/from the DVD player.  It's quite a tangle back there!

There is one output marked 'S-Video', but it looks like a co-ax socket.  I don't think your laptop would plug in.

Bottom line, I think we have four options:
  • I buy a new DVD player
  • Someone brings a DVD player (that we have reasonable hope will work)
  • We see Candy instead.
  • We forget it.
I'm working on the first, though I'm worried about how my 'tangle' would be affected.

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2006, 03:28:31 AM »
The region 4 DVD is released here on July 20, looks the same as the region 1 version. I still want to know why the French are getting a 2-disc version!

Consulting in turn my limited French vocabulary, a friend, and babelfish, I have ascertained that this is not a 2-disc set, just a 'special edition'. By which they mean that it's a pack including the book and soundtrack. Damn! Damn! DAMN! I was so hoping for a director's cut or extra extras. Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

I've heard of similar setups to yours, it must have taken you a while to get it working properly. Hopefully somebody will have a DVD player they can bring over, rather than you having to fork out a fair bit of cash for a new one.

With regards to Candy, several people have told me that Heath is very good and it is a good film. I dunno: campfire said he didn't want to see Jake with anybody else, and I feel I don't want to see Heath kissing anybody except Jake, at least not just yet.

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2006, 07:42:25 PM »
Howdy all  :)  only time for a quick post today, starting with,

Brian.  I really like what you wrote about that big nancy boy JMH.  One of the things that really cheeses me off is hearing this complaint about BBM from his ilk.  Could he be any more egocentric than to suggest those who didn't have the same easy, insulated ride he had are somehow fools?  I suppose he's one of the many who just went along to see the pretty lights  ::).
Meantime, I hope you get some response. 

MellorSJ, see now I could have brought my player along - if I'd actually been able to come  :'(.  Incidentally, your 'tangle' made me go  :o.  I'm glad you know what it's all for!

photondancer, babelfish come in handy from time to time  :).

Not much news from my neck of the Mountains.  My father's visit this weekend has been postponed for a month so looks like that'll be the next time I watch BBM with someone.  Might have to give it a spin between now and then - can't imagine a whole month with no boys  :-\.

w

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2006, 02:37:55 AM »
MellorSJ, see now I could have brought my player along - if I'd actually been able to come  :'(.  Incidentally, your 'tangle' made me go  :o.  I'm glad you know what it's all for!

Wolf, do you mean you can't come at all or just not that day?

I've been looking into options. Potentially, depending on the connectors on the tv, by the time MellorSJ or I have bought all the convertors and cables needed for connecting my laptop -> tv it it would be the same price as buying a new DVD player. However, since I work at a university there's a chance I'd be able to borrow said convertors from somebody, lots of macs on campus.

Alternatively one of my colleagues has offered to try burning a copy of the DVD and ripping out the region encoding. Not guaranteed to work thanks to copy protection but he gave it a 90% chance. He also said he has a spare multi-region player we can borrow.

I've been sneaking peeks at the Reunion thread all day and watching clips of it people have posted. *sigh* ever since I saw BBM the first time I haven't been able to stop hoping one day I'll be kissed like that!

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2006, 07:32:59 PM »
Monday morning greetings  :)

Photon, unfortunately, I'm not able to go at all - at least on weekends!  Way too much on for remainder of the cold months, and then only during daylight hours.  We basically don't go anywhere at night on w/ends. 

As for the DVD problem.  Your friend is correct about the copy protection.  You can't copy on to a video from the region one disc, but you can on a pc (mine dud one was done on a pc).  On one hand you'll get your 'all regions' disc, but it'll be pretty much crap  :-\.  Dud resolution, dud colour, stretched to fit, etc etc.  I'd only watch the one I have in a dire emergency, put it that way.   

Regarding players and region one discs, while I'm a technodunce of the first water, this is one thing I know about  ;D.  While the majority of current model players are sold as 'multi-format', in reality that really means they'll play just region 4 and one (or two) other regions - generally UK.  You have to be VERY specific about needing a player that will play REGION ONE discs, if you go to buy one.  You'll find that most won't, despite the multi-format labelling.  The one I got is a Pioneer, which normally sells at around $180, the cheapest region one player on the market that's not a no-frills brand.  I was lucky enough to get a fairly hefty discount on mine, so was a very happy camper.

Have you not seen the movie in a while?  I remember the days of living on a Youtube diet - very hard work but better than nothing!  Are you really pining for a wall-slammer snog?  While I find the reunion scene earthshaking, I always think at some level "gawd that must've hurt"  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers to all. 

W

Offline madameshawshank

• Expert
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2006, 11:25:06 PM »
 :)hi all.......................it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yummy to be back..have been here there and everywhere..home tomorrow night..

ah Wolf, the reunion....isn't that the scene where Jake has said Heath almost broke his nose..now what a way to get a broken nose eh! Imagine walking around with the nose all bandaged and folks asking "How on earth did you do that?"...well, there was some kissing involved ;)

as to the pain...dunno...if Jake was into serious method acting...maybe it didn't hurt...even though his nose was almost broken ;)

am typing this from the library in a mining town in Queensland...where I imagine there are oh so many Jacks and Ennises...all over this planet..

I will go to sleep tonight imagining, under the stars, that sooner than later there won't be a need for the Annies of this world to write Brokeback Mountain tales any longer...that will be my prayer to the night sky...

hugs dear dear pals...

“I've never accepted the external appearance of things as the whole truth… The world is much more elaborate than the nerves of our eye can tell us…” James Gleeson

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2006, 01:04:23 AM »
On one hand you'll get your 'all regions' disc, but it'll be pretty much crap  :-\.  Dud resolution, dud colour, stretched to fit, etc etc.  I'd only watch the one I have in a dire emergency, put it that way.

According to my colleague the distortion on your copy is more likely due to either a botched widescreen -> fullscreen conversion, or a botched NTSC -> PAL conversion, or both. Distortion can also result from copying from a dual-layer DVD to a single-layer blank, because the data has be heavily compressed to fit, but this is more likely to result in a blocky effect than an El Greco one.

While the majority of current model players are sold as 'multi-format', in reality that really means they'll play just region 4 and one (or two) other regions - generally UK.  You have to be VERY specific about needing a player that will play REGION ONE discs, if you go to buy one.

Yes, I'd heard this but had forgotten about it. I can't wait for whatever replaces DVDs to come along and that right quickly, as long as it doesn't involve regions!

Have you not seen the movie in a while?  I remember the days of living on a Youtube diet - very hard work but better than nothing!  Are you really pining for a wall-slammer snog?  While I find the reunion scene earthshaking, I always think at some level "gawd that must've hurt"  ;D ;D ;D

Actually I saw it yesterday at Govindas. It's a small screen but you sit so close to it that's not really a problem. It sounded to me like the sound balance was very slightly off though I doubt somebody who hadn't seen the film before would notice. I've sent them an email about it and will be there tonight (for a different film) so we'll see if it's a problem with their sound equipment or just that print of the film.

I'm sure the wall-slamming would hurt :-) but I'm also sure afterwards you'd remember it as wonderful. Jack feeds off that kiss for years, after all. I was watching youtube clips of it last week but it wasn't until someone posted a still that I noticed for the first time how ravaged Jack looks afterwards as Ennis walks off to go up the stairs.