The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 266156 times)

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
Moving to New Zealand
« Reply #1035 on: December 11, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
Just an announcement that I accepted a good offer for my home 2 weeks ago and contracts were exchanged on Thursday. I am moving out on January 15 and have booked a flight to Dunedin on January 22.
Any Kiwis here? I am disappointed that the number of active Aussie Brokebackers on DCF has dwindled so much. There are far more on Bettermost which I have recently joined due to Chuck's (CellarDweller) visit downunder.
Please think of me as I decide what to take, what to throw, hold garage sales (so much stuff collected in 28 years) and also face a period of loneliness as I settle in a new country (even if there are not a lot of differences).

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
Re: Moving to New Zealand
« Reply #1036 on: December 11, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

Just an announcement that I accepted a good offer for my home 2 weeks ago and contracts were exchanged on Thursday. I am moving out on January 15 and have booked a flight to Dunedin on January 22.
Any Kiwis here? I am disappointed that the number of active Aussie Brokebackers on DCF has dwindled so much. There are far more on Bettermost which I have recently joined due to Chuck's (CellarDweller) visit downunder.
Please think of me as I decide what to take, what to throw, hold garage sales (so much stuff collected in 28 years) and also face a period of loneliness as I settle in a new country (even if there are not a lot of differences).

Well, I might not be a Kiwi, but I do have some not-too-distant relatives in NZ. I hope to get out there in the next couple of years to vist.

Good luck in your new location!

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: G'day!
« Reply #1037 on: December 11, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
Good luck Brian!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1038 on: December 12, 2009, 01:11:31 AM »
Brian,

I did pretty much the same 3 years ago, moving not to a different country but across the country.
I down sized from a 3 bedroom two bath house on ½ an acre, sold more than half of my belongings, found homes for 2 of my 4 dogs and all 4 of my cats. I did it at 54 years old. If you need any suggestions, please don't hesitate to pm me. I'll be more than glad to discuss things.

The best of luck to you!!  I hope to come visit sometime as well.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #1039 on: December 12, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »
Thanks
I am also leaving a 3 bedroom house but on an acre, mainly bush
Not sure what I will be buying but certainly less land. Would prefer just 2 bedrooms. I no longer need a separate study (3rd bedroom)
Do not have any animals to complicate matters
I am 65 ::)

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #1040 on: January 22, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »
Am spending my first night in Dunedin, NZ as a resident not a tourist.
After a sleepless night at my sister's home in Sydney where the temperature did not fall below 22'C and the temperature today rose to 32'C (apparently now at 6pm) with 39'c forecast for tomorrow, I flew to a city where the temperature is now 13'C at 8pm, rose to 15'c today with 19'C expected tomorrow. Much more to my liking.
I have booked into a motel for 10 nights, need to search for a flat to rent tomorrow and also begin looking at homes for sale.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1041 on: January 22, 2010, 01:15:35 AM »
All the very best for your future in NZ, Brian :).

(My daughter from Melbourne arrived for a visit day before yesterday and is revelling in the cold and rain.)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1042 on: January 22, 2010, 03:18:11 AM »

Good luck, Brian. I hope all goes well for you in Dunedin and that you can settle in smoothly.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1043 on: January 22, 2010, 04:48:23 AM »
Good luck, Brian!  Please keep us posted with updates on your progress on becoming a Kiwi!

;D

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1044 on: January 22, 2010, 12:15:42 PM »
Let me add my wishes for good luck, Brian!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1045 on: January 23, 2010, 01:24:10 AM »
Good luck Brian, in your move and your hunt for a place to settle in.
I know what you are going through and have been there.

Will be thinking of you!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #1046 on: January 23, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »
Darn, Brian! I thought you meant you were moving to Dunedin, FLORIDA!  (In the STATES, you know!)   :)

My hopes at getting a Brokie relatively nearby are now dashed.  But best of luck in that other new country, New Zealand!

Mark

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #1047 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
Thanks for the best wishes.
Sorry, Mark. Know about the Dunedin, Florida. Sometimes curse it when google brings it up in apartment searching. Am sure the USA would put great difficulties before me if I tried to immigrate.
Australia and NZ allow free movement and interchange of their citizens. In fact I am helping in a very small way to balance the flow. While Australia has weathered the global financial crisis extremely well and unemployment only grew slightly and is now falling again, the news here in NZ is of increasing unemployment. Many NZers move to Australia for work. Fortunately I no longer need work and as my income is all derived in Australia, NZ will be happy to see me spend it here.

Offline min

• Feet Wet
« Reply #1048 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
Good luck finding a place in Dunedin...it can be bloody cold in winter though so hope you're prepared...it is a really great city.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1049 on: January 25, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »