The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 266115 times)

Offline curtainonfloor

• Getting Acquainted
G'day!
« on: February 17, 2006, 02:33:08 AM »
Hiya, i'm a 19yr old straight chick from Western Australia, with a very unhealthy obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal  after seeing Brokeback. I even learnt how to spell his name right!  :D

I absolutly love Brokeback, and have been lurking here for a while, just trying to catch up with posts before i started posting here myself. I gotta say i'm very proud of Heath, as he's a Perth boy who grew up in the hills, just 10 mins drive away from me and now he's a huge hollywood star!!!  :o

Umm, i'm a 2nd year Archaeology student at Uni, and i have a guinea pig. Thats all you need to know hehe  :D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: G'day!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 02:54:46 AM »
Hiya, i'm a 19yr old straight chick from Western Australia, with a very unhealthy obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal  after seeing Brokeback. I even learnt how to spell his name right!  :D

I absolutly love Brokeback, and have been lurking here for a while, just trying to catch up with posts before i started posting here myself. I gotta say i'm very proud of Heath, as he's a Perth boy who grew up in the hills, just 10 mins drive away from me and now he's a huge hollywood star!!!  :o

Umm, i'm a 2nd year Archaeology student at Uni, and i have a guinea pig. Thats all you need to know hehe  :D

Back at ya, curtainonfloor, from down under. I don't think you will find, as you probably know from lurking that no one here has an unhealthy obsession about Jake or anything related to BBM. How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful country, and so close to where Heath grew up no less ;)

Thanks for posting with us here, now go on the threads you have been reading and jump in.  Post a picture of yourself with us or that of your guinea pig, as we have a thread for that as well.

Thanks for coming aboard.

killersmom
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:05:55 PM »
and while you're looking, i hope you find the dedicated under 25 thread, where you will find other members your age to chat with and share your points of view.

welcome,

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »
Hey, we're starting some international threads.

Are there any other aussies out there who want an area all your own?

Do you want to make this it, or start a new thread?

(You can just answer here--Killersmom, keep me posted.)

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 02:42:34 AM »
I am an Aussie who has been blown away by Brokeback. I am about the same age as the guys in Brokeback would have been and am well aware of the closets in which most of us of that age have grown up. I am particularly worried at the moment about a friend who suffers from depression and has just written to me to tell me about the very deep depression he experienced after seeing Brokeback. We knew each other at university in our late teens but then met 30 years later as we approached retirement and discovered we had both been wrestling with our homosexuality at the same time and undergoing psychiatric treatment. He had it much worse than I did. I had a supportive family while his father was a religious bastard who sent him for 12 months treatment. Unfortunately he lives about 150 km away and does not use computers. We both live alone and I think it was our early experiences that make it difficult for us to develop a close ongoing relationship today. For other Aussies, I live in the Blue Mountains and he lives in the Southern Highlands which cis a much more right wing area.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 02:57:04 AM »
I am an Aussie who has been blown away by Brokeback. I am about the same age as the guys in Brokeback would have been and am well aware of the closets in which most of us of that age have grown up. I am particularly worried at the moment about a friend who suffers from depression and has just written to me to tell me about the very deep depression he experienced after seeing Brokeback. We knew each other at university in our late teens but then met 30 years later as we approached retirement and discovered we had both been wrestling with our homosexuality at the same time and undergoing psychiatric treatment. He had it much worse than I did. I had a supportive family while his father was a religious bastard who sent him for 12 months treatment. Unfortunately he lives about 150 km away and does not use computers. We both live alone and I think it was our early experiences that make it difficult for us to develop a close ongoing relationship today. For other Aussies, I live in the Blue Mountains and he lives in the Southern Highlands which cis a much more right wing area.

brianr, thanks so much for posting you story and sharing it with us. The movie means so much to so many. We are trying to get more Aussies on here and maybe some help may be forth coming for your friend from someone who may live closer.
Thanks again.
killlersmom
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:11:28 AM »
Welcome curtainonfloor and brianr!!!

Come in and get comfy.  kick your shoes off, open your mind and bare your soul.  There are discussions ranging from serious to silly.  Some BBM related, some not.  Start off with the Meet & Greet and post your picture then make your way around. 

Curtain, you should check out the Jake threads...yummy pics, squee if you want it, and serious talk about the man and his career.

Brian, your story is amazingly similar to so many here.  You should try posting it in the "Your Brokeback Story" thread and let healing begin.  You'd be amazed by the support generated here.  You aren't alone.  Best wishes to you.

Heidi

« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 06:12:06 AM by ImJackshesEnnis »
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline boy from oz

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 03:23:20 AM »
G'day perhaps Brian, you can keep in regular contact with your friend, so he knows you are there for him in case he does not know this already. The Brokeback mountain movie is wonderful,with a very talented Aussie actor in the cast and it is a very moving movie.

The messages I take away from this movie is to never let things go unsaid, don't be afraid to be yourself, (but this is sometimes easier said then done). We are who we are and once we can accept this onlythen  can we truely love another. I hope things work out between you, Brain and your mate.

I have read alot on here in the various forums and would like to thank all the straight men and women who have been touched and chaged by this poweful movie and finally to all the mom's, dads, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousin, friends and work mates who may have a gay family member or a gay freind, but love and support them because this makes no different to them.
god bless you all
boy from oz.

Offline TexRob

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 01:38:17 PM »

Hi curtainonfloor --

There is no such thing as an unhealty obesession when it comes to Jake Gyllenhaal. All such obesessions with him are healthy!  Frankly, I think even the hair he sheds should be auctioned off on ebay. 

I think you're going to love the "Jake's Eyelashes" thread we have going on.

Do Western Australians have a special love for Heath Ledger, too?  He's from Perth.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
G'day perhaps Brian, you can keep in regular contact with your friend, so he knows you are there for him in case he does not know this already.god bless you all
boy from oz.
Thanks boy from oz. Actually things have improved and I will take the liberty of reposting  from how Brokeback affected me to show how things have progressed with my friend,
Our Story
In the early sixties there were 4 guys studying at university in their late teens. David, Malcolm, John and Brian ( the writer).
David was straight the other three were gay but had no understanding  of what that meant and felt they were each alone in the world with their feelings. They used to rush to be the one who sat next to David in lectures. He was very good looking.
Eventually they all attended David’s wedding. John was more open in his infatuation with David who use to try and get away from him at university and after he was married had to tell him to get lost as he was making his young wife very uncomfortable.
 Eventually they all went their separate ways except for Brian and David who had the same careers and therefore professional contacts kept them in touch.  We know no more about John but Brian and Malcolm both went through various forms of psychiatric treatment to try and cure their homosexual illness which were of course unsuccessful. Both became engaged but fortunately did not proceed to the marriage as they realised the treatments had not worked and their orientation was clearly homosexual.  However neither was successful in forming a long term relationship.
Many years passed and as retirement approached Malcolm contacted Brian having seen his name on gay networks and their friendship was renewed. They travelled to Paris together and attended symphony concerts. Unfortunately they live a good 3 hours drive apart. They chuckled about their unspoken infatuation with David that had made them rivals all those years ago.
Then during a long drive to the funeral of another friend of all those years ago, David told Brian that one of his 3 children was gay and Brian came out to him. David wanted help in understanding his son. He is really the most wonderful guy, his greatest disappointment is that it took his son nearly 10 years to come out to him and he regrets the pain his son went through.
Anyway Malcolm told Brian how Brokeback had affected him and put him into a deep depression, His psychiatric treatment all those years ago was horrendous. Brian  told David and David’s immediate reaction was “Can we go visit him”
So yesterday we got to together for lunch and a walk in the nearby bush. It had been nearly 40 years since we had been together and Malcolm was so thankful that David wanted to see him. He was close to tears as he told David about his youthful infatuation and some of  the things he went through. David’s reply was “For what you two guys have been through it is amazing  you are both still so normal”
He is really sorry for how he treated John and would like to contact him. But as I said to him   “You were not to blame, other guys might have punched his face in. In a more accepting society he would have been able to talk it over with his gay friends and have had outlets to find other gay friendships.”  I do have a contact number for John but knowing nothing about him nowadays. I wonder whether it might drag up old wounds. I have to give this a lot of thought however while I had often contemplated a reunion it was Brokeback that caused David to initiate it which meant far more to Malcolm.

Offline boy from oz

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 12:12:24 AM »
G'day, the boy from oz, here, I'm in my early 40's, a gay male and live in South Australia. like most Aussies I have a warped sense of humour and I'm pretty laid back, not a lot phases me with life and the people whom cross my path in life. I love my fellow Aussies, we have so much talent in this country that I'm so proud of, Heath Ledger, Russell Crowe, (formerly a New Zealand but we have adopted him), Naomi Watts, Nicole Kidman, Kate Blanchett, and all they have achieved with their careers and these are just some of our talented Aussies, with some many I could mention but, might run out of room. As Aussie's, we all understand they need to head to the USA, to make their dreams a reality, you might be able to lure them out of Australia, but hopefully you will never take Australia out of them, like a lot of countries we are sports mad, and again I'm so proud of all our Aussie sports men and woman, for the size of our population, we are are up there with the best of them.we are the "lucky country" that is for sure.

I love this forum dedicate to like minded folk, whom share with the magic, the power and the love of the Brokeback mountain movie.
Regards,
boy from oz

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 04:32:20 AM »
you forgot peter allen :(
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline aussiec54

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 11:35:13 PM »
G'day, the boy from oz, here, I'm in my early 40's, a gay male and live in South Australia.

Hi there!  I'm a straight female, a llitte bit older than you, but also from South Oz.  Great to see other Croweaters at this forum.

A question for other Aussies here  (sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't been around for a week or so):

When's the BM DVD being released in Australia?  I thought it was sometime next week, but haven't been able to find a date at any of the local DVD stores' web-sites.

lolita

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 02:14:35 AM »
Heya all..I'm from sunny Queensland and been on this wonderful forum for a couple a months now...
Everyone is just soooo friendly, I've met some wonderful people, couldn't know any nicer.

To answer your question, the DVD is out at the end of August -huge bummer hey?
Lucky I've got a special screening copy sent to me by a member of this forum..see what I mean bout the type of people hang out here? This place is like home...no-one I know locally, friends or family shares or understands my BBM obsession.
Hope to see you all round.  :)
We need more Aussies! Tasmanic hangs out on the Eyelashes thread, thats the only other Aussie I know...so welcome all!!

Nick_F

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 04:12:17 AM »
G'day all

I am hoping to promote the "international" threads around the forums in the next couple of days. Maybe we can collect some more aussies!

Gonna make this thread sticky so it stays at the top of the list for a while to see if it gets noticed more.....

Nick