The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 263923 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: G'day!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 06:00:59 AM »
anyone know what has become of ozwitch?  saw her quite regularly in the pre-pscar days, but haven't seen her since the shakeup following.

jack 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Casper

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 12:18:23 PM »
curtainonfloor, I admire you for your studies in Archaeology. 

Offline aussiec54

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 11:40:22 PM »

To answer your question, the DVD is out at the end of August -huge bummer hey?

August! 

Blimey.

Perhaps they're waiting for a special edition DVD before they release it here? I wonder why there's such a long wait?  We're always late to get everything.  

lolita

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 11:47:50 PM »
anyone know what has become of ozwitch?  saw her quite regularly in the pre-pscar days, but haven't seen her since the shakeup following.

jack 

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing Jack...Ozwitch was in the thick with us all through the Oscars etc then she's disappeared...I've sent her a couple of pm's but no reply...

lolita

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 11:49:49 PM »

August! 

Blimey.

Perhaps they're waiting for a special edition DVD before they release it here? I wonder why there's such a long wait?  We're always late to get everything. 

I know, it truly sucks, doesn't it...I think the U.K has just released theirs...I watch my dvd regularly at ,least once fully every couple of days and the usual reunion, mountain scenes, FNIT and SNIT every day....so I can truly sympathise.  :'(

calgaryactor

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
you forgot peter allen

And Helen Reddy!  Love her or hate her, one has to respect the historical importance of I AM WOMAN, which became an anthem for a lot of disenfranchised people.  Helen's autobiography (which has been out in Australia for over a year) is being released in North America in May 2006.  I was at her farewell concert in Edmonton on Nov 16, 2002, and it was actually quite a moving experience.

Offline Vani21

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 09:28:23 PM »

Hi!
I'm a 22 year old chick from the ACT in Oz,I was overwhelmed each of the 8 times I saw Brokeback and each and every time I read the story,
I'm a 2nd year Asian studies student, I spent some time in Japan with my two boyfriends before I came home for Uni, I've been catching up on posts as well and this is my second ever post here.  :D I spend my spare time baking, writing, painting, online and out at clubs with friends. :)  I'm glad I joined these forums, cos I feel I can be free here and that I won't face any judgement for being in a triad as I have in other forums.

Ni
"What I have shown you is reality.
What you remember...that is the illusion."

-- Sephiroth, "Final Fantasy VII"

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 01:53:27 AM »
Brokeback Mountain has largely disappeared from the screens in the city of Sydney but up here in the Blue Mountains to the west it is opening for a week  on May 1 in a small community theatre with a small screen. I have known this for a few months as they advertise their program way ahead. We have another theatre in the upper Mountains which shows Tourist films during the day on a giant screen. In the evenings it shows regular movies and while they are not giant they are much larger than usual cinemas. Viewing the Lord of the Rings movies there was amazing. They do not advertise very much ahead and I just looked.  Brokeback Mountain is coming there on May 11. I am over the moon and can hardly wait All my dreams are coming true  ;D

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
You guys are sooo lucky!  It left NY screens weeks ago...

Offline Aussie Bloke

• Feet Wet
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 10:08:45 PM »
G'day fellow Aussies. I'm 42 years young  living on 30 acres in the Strathbogie Ranges of NW Vic with my two dogs, a year old Kelpie-Heeler and a 3 month old Jack Russell - Foxy. We're 150 km from Melbourne on the Hume Hwy and get down to Melbourne quite a fair bit - all the family are down there. School-teacher. Been here 9 years.
Single.  Have just moved a house onto my block but still living in the shed at the moment. Looking forward to getting to know all on the site, and have had a great time reading others posts, particularly about the oscars snub.
Anybody interested in trying to organise an Aussie Brokeback party to coincide with the one benig planned Stateside ? I'm sure we could make a fun time of it and maybe get online to the States. Only prob with my place is the shocking internet connection.
I wanted to catch the film one more time at the cinema but see that it is going off the screens in melb this week so might miss out.
August seems like a long time to wait for the DVD, doesnt it ?
See you later. ;)

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 11:08:15 PM »
Folks, my UK DVD arrived from amazon.co.uk this morning. It plays fine on my all regions el cheapo K-Mart $109 Magnavox player. And if you pay by card the cost is only about $36.

Offline Phantom

• Experienced
  • Mr. Phantom
    • Insanity Reigns
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 11:23:30 PM »
Hiya, i'm a 19yr old straight chick from Western Australia, with a very unhealthy obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal  after seeing Brokeback. I even learnt how to spell his name right!  :D

I absolutly love Brokeback, and have been lurking here for a while, just trying to catch up with posts before i started posting here myself. I gotta say i'm very proud of Heath, as he's a Perth boy who grew up in the hills, just 10 mins drive away from me and now he's a huge hollywood star!!!  :o

Umm, i'm a 2nd year Archaeology student at Uni, and i have a guinea pig. Thats all you need to know hehe  :D

I've been known to like a chick or two from Australia... see signature  ;)

Offline BBM-Intern

• Feet Wet
  • The one moment we all long for in our lives
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 08:35:27 AM »
Hi everyone in our beautiful city of Brisbane (and friends worldwide too),

I see that Schonell Theatre at the University of Queensland is going to be screening BBM from May 11 onwards.  Another chance to see it on the big screen, not that I need another reason to go.

But I was wondering if there was anyone else interested in going along - we can form a posse and rock up in our cowboy gear.  Imagine, a whole bunch of us dressed like Ennis or Jack, or Alma or Lureen turning up at the film.  It'll be so cool - besides the folks who go to the uni cinema are usually very liberal-alternative, so we might even have an appreciative audience.

BTW, my obsession continues, I'm going as Jack f***in' Twist!!  Been viewing my copy of BBM on 50" screen at home and it looks darn good!  Have it on my PDA so I can watch it on the way to and back from work, crazy or what!!

Talk to y'all later.

Lem
Love is the only force of nature to embrace, fear is not the alternative.

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »
Greetings, G'dayers

Can't tell you how pleased I was to log on and find an Aussie thread  :).  While we're all here for the same reason, it's going to be great to chat to others in the Land That DVD's Forgot.

FTR, I'm 42, married, 2 kids, live in Blue Mountains.  I've seen BBM 5 times at cinema, and about 5 on DVD (I ordered mine from Amazon and got it a week after it was released in the States).  My obsession kicked in a few hours after viewing #1, and grew steadily 'worse'.  I consider myself very lucky indeed, to have three dear friends who share my obsession, and a husband who tolerates what I chose to allow him to see of it  :P.

Brianr, it would appear we're neighbours.  I read your posts with great interest my dear, and you have me wondering if our beloved mountains aren't harbouring more than the national per capita average of Brokeaholics!  Would probably be quite fitting if so - given we're all a bunch of raving lefty liberals who love nature  ;).   

Isn't it fabulous to know we get another turn (or two, or seven) at seeing our film on the big screen - and not just one big screen either!  I'm already locked in to go to G'brook next wednesday, so will now work on getting up to the other venue as well.  I'm VERY curious to see just how many turn up to G'brook, and what demographic they are etc.  We must compare notes in this regard!  Hey, just had a funny thought ..... I can see myself trying to identify you in the cinema crowd.  I have nothing to go on of course, but any male over the age of 50 is going to be fair game I think  ;D ;D ;D.

Aussie Bloke, hello to you!  Your lifestyle sounds idyllic - especially the bit about the kelpie - I have two of the brown devils myself  ;).  We've recently move to the Mtns after many years on an acreage down on the plains, and another SNAP, we also lived in a relocated house!  Are you on tank water there? And what do you teach? These and other things we must know!  ;D

I like your idea for a BBQ or some sort of get-together.  It's starting to look as tho it's possible for the east coast at least.  Certainly I'd be in anything that could be arranged, assuming him-indoors gives me a leave pass ::).  Might take some organising, and some thought on location etc, but we can make it happen, surely!

Hi to all the other G'dayers.  Will try to keep up with the thread and get to know you all a bit better!

In closing, I'd like to talk a little about my recent BBM 'stuff'.  Last weekend we went to a big agricultural show about 40 mins away (Brianr, that'd be Hawskbury, in case yr wondering.  Put it in yr diary for next year, for the following reasons).  We ostensibly went to give our kids more exposure to the particular brand of entertainment that an ag show is, and to catch up with some horse world friends.  Can I just say that at one point, there was Ennis' and Jacks from horizon to horizon.   I actually had to sit down for a bit there, since the old legs were getting way too wobbly for further ambulation.  I've always been fond of a bit of visual stimuli in the form of good looking cowboys peering out from under stetson brims, but this was another kettle of boys altogether.  There was an unnatural preponderance of handsome faces and glorious behinds clad in Wranglers.  I was forced to wonder whether or not some of these lads had secretly seen BBM and decided to up the ante, glamour wise  ;D.  Either way, a fine time was had by yours truly  :P.

On a bleaker note, I stupidly read some really awful reviews of BBM that had hid themselves in a batch of glowing ones.  I tell ya, these guys (and they were almost ALL written by gay males) seemed to miss the point entirely, and harped on about it setting the gay agenda back 30 years.  They took great pains to point out that 1960's rural men could and did live together, ergo the whole premis of BBM was inaccurate and diabolically designed to incite further misunderstanding, etc etc, ad nauseum.  HELLO, boys, maybe OTHER gay men lived together, but these two didn't because ENNIS was one of them.  The point of the exercise was to tell a story about ONE particular gay man's journey, not the journey of all rural 1960's gay men.  Lordy me but some folk are slappable.  Anyhoo, it all depressed me so much that I was COMPELLED to stay up til midnight last night watching it again. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Cheers

w

Nick_F

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 02:54:34 AM »
The land that DVDs forgot!

Surely not? Are the release schedules really that far behind us in the UK?

Thanks for all the posts everybody. Remember if you spot other Aussies around the forum, please direct them here and get them to chat. I can think of 2 or 3 others that are members here, but may not have this place.

Cheers

Nick_F
Team Cullen