The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 263915 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: G'day!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 02:51:46 PM »
have y'all seen the article that ran in an australian paper of magazine about the striking young "cowboy" who became a friend of heath's.  he seemed to have successfully negotiated the rocky journey to self acceptance, and was totally adoptable.  i think i saved a picture of him somewhere on my hard drive.  it is definitely worth seeking out the article.

jack 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
repeating my post on another thread

I am not sure where to put this so I may double post. Apologies
 I have just opened our City newspaper - Sydney Australia to find this as frontpage news (it is Gay Mardi Gras procession tonight)
"IT WAS the script that changed Heath Ledger's life - and when he read Brokeback Mountain he knew he had a friend reflected in its pages.

I've just read this script, Ledger later told his mate, Adam Sutton, and it sounds a lot like you. It was a film about a gay cowboy, and the actor was right; Sutton knew more than a bit about that."

Continues at
http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts/meet-heaths-mate/2006/03/03/1141191845952.html]]
There has been a sequel in a 30 minute television program  part of a series called "Australian Story"
For Australians it will be repeated next Saturday on ABC and I believe is on ABC2 regularly for those with the technology.
For others the transcript is at:
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/http://
Some quotes
The original newspaper journalist
'I met Adam three years ago. When 'Brokeback' came out and had the impact that it did, I thought the great untold 'Brokeback' story was that Adam's friend Heath was pretending to play a gay cowboy, and he was the real one and they were mates, and nobody knew. The story ran on the front page of the paper two days before the Oscars when Heath was nominated for Best Actor. It flew off the shelves and was a 5-year sales record. I think what touched people was his courage. The fact that anyone would be willing to put themselves on the line to that extent.'
Adam:
'I was lucky enough to spend a bit of time on location with 'Brokeback Mountain', and it's an amazing movie. I could directly put myself in the shoes of those two people in that film. It was like my 'Brokeback Mountain' story, myself. '
and he finishes:
'I'm now putting myself in touch with my feelings and my emotions instead of arguing with them. And that has made me a braver, stronger person because I know trust in myself, what I think, what I think is right and what I think is wrong. There is a stereotype cowboy sort of person. That rough and rugged ready-to-go sort of type. And there's your stereotype gay person. And I know that I've now been able to combine the two and break both moulds. And I look back and think how silly I was sometimes for maybe keeping it a secret and bottling it up inside. Now they're out, it's a wonderful feeling.'

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 05:14:32 PM »
  Brianr, it would appear we're neighbours.  I read your posts with great interest my dear, and you have me wondering if our beloved mountains aren't harbouring more than the national per capita average of Brokeaholics!  Would probably be quite fitting if so - given we're all a bunch of raving lefty liberals who love nature  ;).   

Isn't it fabulous to know we get another turn (or two, or seven) at seeing our film on the big screen - and not just one big screen either!  I'm already locked in to go to G'brook next wednesday, so will now work on getting up to the other venue as well.  I'm VERY curious to see just how many turn up to G'brook, and what demographic they are etc.  We must compare notes in this regard!  Hey, just had a funny thought ..... I can see myself trying to identify you in the cinema crowd.  I have nothing to go on of course, but any male over the age of 50 is going to be fair game I think  ;D ;D ;D.
Hi Wolf
Glad to hear from you. I went to the first Glenbrook showing of BBN last Thursday night with Madamshawshank whom I met on these pages but met for the first time in person that night. There was only a small number present. I always find the Glenbrook screen a bit small and so am looking forward to seeing it at the Edge next week but have not yet decided on the time. My life is in a bit of a turmoil with my mother in hospital. (She is 96 and almost blind so needs my sister or me there most of the day, )
We  are having a Brokeback get together for people near Sydney in June (I think).  Madamshawshank has the details. You can learn about me at my webpage http://home.pacific.net.au/~brianralph/
Being over 60 and mostly retired (I do casual teaching still) I no longer care who knows about me However I hope the politics does not annoy you :).
By the way I am the same age as Ennis and I would never have dreamed of setting up with a guy in the 60's and I lived in Sydney. I know some guys did but they were few in number and usually not in careers like teaching and definitely not in rural areas.

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 07:20:14 PM »
G'day, G'dayers  :)

To those who mentioned it, Adam Sutton's (Heath's gay mate) spot on Australian Stories was great viewing.  BBM soundtrack got a workout too  ;D.  Incidentally, Jack, Mr Sutton cuts a fine figure in the saddle.  Adoptable indeed  ;)!

Brianr, thanks for the info re: the social in June - tho don't know how to locate Madameshawshank  :-\.  I suppose if she's a Mtns resident (from memory, she is), she's bound to turn up here sooner or later!  Would very much like to know the details, if they're available at this stage.

Also, thanks for the tip off regarding Glenbrook's pokey screen.  I did not know that!  Despite having lived in the area for 18mths, I've not yet been.  Think I'll still go - just in case I can't get to The Edge.  Can't waste ANY opportunity to see it on the big screen! 

Interesting to hear you mention Sydney being entirely gay-unfriendly in the 60's.  A former colleague of mine, who is in his mid-sixties now and retired, is in same boat, as it were.  He's lived his entire live in the Penrith area and has always had to maintain a 'low-profile' up until fairly recently.  Has not, to my knowledge, ever lived with a partner, but remained in the family home caring for his parents until their respective departures.  I must say, I found the idea that Ennis and Jack's story was preposterous, preposterous!

I note you're in beautiful Woodford.  We came close to buying a rambling old stone house on 15 acres there recently, but in the end decided our renovation fatigue was too pronounced to allow a project of that magnitude.    Is the bed & breakfast your business?  Looks gorgeous  :).

FTR, I visited your website and wasn't remotely discombobulated by your politics.  As a long term employee of that particular arm of govt charged with the care of our veterans, some of it was familiar turf.  Also, I come from a dyed-in-the-wool Labour family, who all send our kids to Catholic schools, despite our official status as heathens.  Enuf said  ;).  Incidentally, we're mad keen gardeners and hikers too.  Those particular interests are not exactly unique up here in the Mtns  ;D.  Most of our weekend time is taken up with one or the other, or both for preference!  We've blooded our kids well in these two fine pursuits  ;).

Cheers to all.  I'm off now, to browse through a website I've found that has a completely alarming 700 odd reviews of BBM  :o

W

Offline MellorSJ

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 01:43:19 AM »
Sat June 3rd I think we said.  My place in the CBD.  (Wynyard Station/Bus stop 2000186) Idea was to get together late afternoon, then go and feed at a local place.  Only have about 6 seats, but I reckon the floor's not so bad :)

I'll check up on the date I agreed with Mme Shawshank.  Memory..what's that?

I have a Region 1 DVD, and I'm fairly sure my player will play it.  Will get this going in earnest as soon as get back from China, Monday 22nd.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 02:58:20 AM »
The land that DVDs forgot!

Surely not? Are the release schedules really that far behind us in the UK?

Thanks for all the posts everybody. Remember if you spot other Aussies around the forum, please direct them here and get them to chat. I can think of 2 or 3 others that are members here, but may not have this place.

Cheers

Nick_F
Team Cullen

GR Bookshop in Darlinghurst is advertising them as available in July

lolita

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 05:05:19 AM »
have y'all seen the article that ran in an australian paper of magazine about the striking young "cowboy" who became a friend of heath's.  he seemed to have successfully negotiated the rocky journey to self acceptance, and was totally adoptable.  i think i saved a picture of him somewhere on my hard drive.  it is definitely worth seeking out the article.

jack 

Yeah, that article was great, Jack. Sounds good Wolf but I'm a long way away in Queensland and am saving frantically to go to LA/NY in Oct to meet up specifically with friends I have made on the forum...very exciting.  :)

Wow..get togetheres in Sydney..there  are not many other Aussies on this site and none of my friends are affected how I was. That is great to know that so many Aussies are Brokeback obsessed!
Cheers, Lola

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 10:15:58 PM »
MellorSJ, 

thanks a bunch for the info regarding your planned 'social' on June 3.  unfortunately, our saturdays are fully booked out until the end of the soccer season, which is tres ordinnaire since I don't even like the game  :'(.  I'll certainly be thinking of you on the day in question - with not a little envy! 

meantime, I've had the surprising, but delightful luck to be invited by a posse of Catholic School Mums (can you believe it!) for dinner and BBM tomorrow night at our local cinema.  I'm not sure how some of them will take it - particularly the younger, more earnest ones.  I know of at least two who'll be at the very least, quite moved, so will be interesting indeed.  Only one is actually aware of my Brokeaholism, but she and I plan to keep poker faces - don't want to invite questions midstream!

Lolita,

wowzers, you're actually going to meet friends from the forum?!!!  That's just the nicest thing I've heard all day  :) :) :).  Well, I could do with hearing the miners are out and Sophie is making a miraculous recovery, but you know what I mean!  I've mentioned here before that I'm a member of a womens' forum, and quite a few of us get together several times a year, from all over Australia.  Our most recent 'social' included three from NZ, and someone is coming from the UK for the next one.  We're all friends for life, purely as a result of that forum.  It's a beautiful thing  ;).

Brianr,

had mean't to say yesterday that I was very impressed by your mum's grand innings.  96 is quite an achievment!  and how marvellous that you and your sister are able to spend so much time with her. 

W

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 01:05:17 AM »
thanks a bunch for the info regarding your planned 'social' on June 3.  unfortunately, our saturdays are fully booked out until the end of the soccer season, which is tres ordinnaire since I don't even like the game  :'(.  I'll certainly be thinking of you on the day in question - with not a little envy! 

meantime, I've had the surprising, but delightful luck to be invited by a posse of Catholic School Mums (can you believe it!) for dinner and BBM tomorrow night at our local cinema.  I'm not sure how some of them will take it - particularly the younger, more earnest ones.  I know of at least two who'll be at the very least, quite moved, so will be interesting indeed.  Only one is actually aware of my Brokeaholism, but she and I plan to keep poker faces - don't want to invite questions midstream!
Thanks for the kind words about my mother who should be home from hospital about now. However I would love to hear about the reaction of the Catholic School Mums. As you would have seen I spent most of my career teaching in Catholic Schools. When I  came out, the other staff, even the religious were generally accepting, not so sure about how the Mums would have reacted though.  I personally am an Anglican and know I would never get a job in an Anglican school in Sydney. I recently walked out of the church in Leura after he criticised Brokeback in his sermon and now travel to St James, King Street which is gay accepting but rather a long drive on Sunday morning.
Am looking forward to seeing BBM at the Edge on either Thursday or Monday.

Offline madameshawshank

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 08:53:37 AM »
hi darlings!!!!!! sweet brian directed me here...am a bit flippy floppy with webpages ...don't explore enough..
so joy of joy..our own little section of the forum!

yep..it's June 3 at Mr Steven's.  Not sure if one has to be on one's best behaviour or not. 

Have seen bbm twice in the past few days..with brian and a friend who'd not seen it before...she doesn't like being surrounded by people..so I booked her a seat on the aisle...enjoyed the night...lovely meeting brian..a sweet soul! I posted the following on the family, audience, friends thread..thought I'd share with you lot here...the sis in law who originally didn't like it has texted me today saying she wants to see it again..see, the magic works its wonders in its own time!  I promise to keep reading this thread :) An unexpected joy for me.  Would be fabulous if we can get together every so often.  How about we plan for next Oscar night, and have a brokeback mountain party ~ I'm at Penrith by the way...ok 12.52am and I is a tired little gal...sweet dreams dear Ozites...love youse all...oh, 'n hugs aplenty

last night...saw bbm for the 8th time...this time with a sister in law I'd seen it with weeks weeks back...and another sis in law seeing it for the first time...at a local family-run cinema...I'd been so excited...and imagining the one who hadn't seen it would respond in a certain way...would have bet money on it...however...

I've decided that even though it's going to be shown on a giant screen at Katoomba, my experience last night was so   that I'll wait for the dvd...ok here goes..in no set order..simply as they come to mind..

* a couple in front of me...we were sitting towards the back of the cinema...munching away on food...could feel that he sort of had no idea what the film was about...at all!...so first scene in tent...he looked to the left..to his partner...that, my friends was the first of about 40+ looks to the left...at the end I started placing imaginary bets as to when the next look to the left was....I was tempted to ask him to stop, however it became, for me, a sort of experiment...you can well imagine how I was feeling as Ennis was waiting for Jake to arrive...how many looks to the left would there be...many!  that man, in his quiet moments, will long long reflect on that story...

* it took half an hour before the choc top icecream munchers ceased munching...

* this audience laughed at such odd times...I wanted to get up and scream "Get out of your shoes and IMAGINE being ANY of these characters!"....laughs at the Alma awareness scene (I know that happens often, however I still can't believe it)...at the binocular scene...can't remember all of them, however I can remember thinking at various times: "HOW could anyone laugh at that?".

* credits roll....so much chatter ...laughing..noise...and here I was simply wanting to let Mr Nelson's and Mr Wainwright's songs drift over me....alas not a chance...and this audience had a mix of sexualities for sure..

ok...now we're the last in the cinema...I always wait for 'brokeback mountain" to appear at the end...powerful powerful..

I'm more than curious as to my sis in law's response...well my friends...you could have knocked me over with a feather....she didn't particularly like it....found the kissing repulsive...said if it had been two women she'd have walked out....and so on....I lost my breath for a while...must have looked super surprised...she asked "Do I shock you?"....No...you surprise me...and so the conversation went on...in the car...back home to glasses of Fra Angelico and cakes...here had I been..planning and imagining...yet here I was faced with a response I wouldn't have imagined in a million years....admittedly I've never had a conversation about sexuality with her...yet, have known her for years...over 20...and here was a response that floored me...so I began to ask her questions...once years back I would have left it at that..."Why the dames kissing more repulsive that guys?"...where did your attitude come from...the idea of sin ...illegality..etc...No was her reply...it's simply as I feel....I thought more to it than that....her husband, my brother, saw it by himself...and she told me he, too, didn't particularly like it...

so...much on which to reflect...the other sis in law said twice is enough for her....the sheep put her to sleep!...she has lived in the country...and any sheep stuff remind her of that time.."come and watch the sheep being shorn"....more and more I became aware that we bring our own stories to film..to books...to paintings...to landscapes...to life...and in this group of three women, I was the one whose heart took in bbm....and I thought last night about why...

indeed so did sis in law first viewer....both stayed the night...over breakfast we spoke again...she said.."I could see it again."...she told me she now understood why it came to me as it did....she knows the lies I've lived...and maybe it's confronting for some...so it's almost easier to resist ...yet bbm will will will not be resisted ...the story enters those who watch..in Life's time bbm will work its wonder...

big deep breath now!

even though this cinema experience was a tad weird...as each scene unfolded...and I awaited the dialogue..again and again I was reminded of how much I love this story..this film....tears now flowing...

'n I agree with that reviewer who was wondering if Heath could come back....such was the intensity of the acting...and Jake..and all...

how can people talk during those credits?

did they miss the last scene? did they not see the acres of emotion in Ennis's face? perhaps not....

you've noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo idea how much I treasure this forum...that I can share with you....

my husband can't understand why I'd want to see it more than once..."didn't you get it the first time?"

each to his/her own I guess....diversity....

hugs
“I've never accepted the external appearance of things as the whole truth… The world is much more elaborate than the nerves of our eye can tell us…” James Gleeson

lolita

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:45 AM »
Hi guys,

Yeah, Wolf, i have been on this forum for a good few months now... started out in Scene by Scene, now I can only find the time to be in the Slash thread and Jake's eyelashes...you could never appear again in here!

Madameshawshank, i totally understand what its like with people not understanding the movie. I'm a bit confused how it's still showing at different places in Australia as it stopped screening on the Gold Coast about 6 weeks ago.

I saw it 14 times, yikes, this is from someone that has never watched a movie more then twice.
7 times with family and friends, the remainder with myself. I couldnt understand how no-one else was affected by me. I went to the earliest times of movie sessions as well so it would be quieter, sat WAY down the front.

Yep, so many of my friends actually asked when the sex scenes would be over...I hated to admit that I found them the most beautiful, erotic and powerful part of the movie!!!

Its lovely to be able to share our experiences,...and to see that this power hasnt even begun to die out.  :)

All the best, Lola  :)

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »
Brian and Madameshawshank, just letting you both know I'm off to the 12.30 session today at Glenbrook. If either of you feel compelled to go, have fun trying to figure out which crazy Brokeaholic is me (I'm betting there'll be naught but us crazies this late in the run)  ;D

Now, onto the serious stuff!

Brian, great news about your mum.  Must be a huge relief for her to get out of hosp - not a fun place at the best of times.  And sorry to hear you had a 'falling out' with your church. what a shame they had to be such duffers!  And yes, King Street is a LONG way to go on a sunday morning.  I'm not 100% sure, but I have a feeling Father John at St Finbars (Glenbrook) would be very welcoming, in the true Christian sense of the word, if you could stand the bells and whistles of the Romanites  ;).  Not sure what the Anglicans are like down here in the lower Mtns.  Maybe worth checking them out?

Madameshawshank, I really enjoyed reading your 'viewing reports'!  It's always of great interest to me to know how people react, whether I know them or not.  Thanks for sharing.  I have my own report from last night, so I'll get into that now.  Don't want to be late for Ennis and Jack at 12.30!

Last night's 'dinner and movie' with the Catholic mums.  In the end only three of us went along - which turned out to be a blessing, since one of our number 'talked a blue streak', as Randall would say.  This particular woman was the one I felt sure would be very comfy with BBM, and perhaps love it as much as I do.  The other, a quiet, conservative, intelligent sort was the one I was concerned might come away unmoved, or at worst, offended.  Wrong on both counts.  "Lashawn", looked at her watch 10+ times, and fidgetted like a 4 yr old for the duration.  Dry eyes, no questions afterwards, and off she went.  The other, quieter woman put down her choctop after the first 3 minutes and left it to melt.  She didn't move, or utter a sound.  At the end she was crying, unable to speak, and wanted to 'debrief' at length.  Alas, as it was 11pm on a school night, and about 3 degrees, there was no chance of a carpark workshop!   She found the fortitude to utter a strangled "omigod", and "that was ... was ...... unbelievable".  I'm guessing she didn't sleep much last night, poor darling.  She's thoroughly infected!

There was quite a big crowd there for a tuesday, 8.30pm session of a film that finished it's run months ago.  About half full I'd say.  Slightly younger demographic (younger than the audiences I shared with at Hoyts), at a guess 35 - 60 ish.  Still definitely ADULTS tho.  Not a teenager in sight.  And much vocalisation at key scenes - which was a surprise to me.  I've mostly seen 'stunned into silence' type reactions, with occassional gentle laughs at Jack's clowning around scenes.  Last night they laughed at every place they were supposed to laugh, and let forth audible gasps in the places they were supposed to.  all appropriate, but surprisingly visceral and raw.  Enhanced the experience in a new way.

As for my own feelings about last night, well I managed to surprise myself by loving every single second of it.  I was STUNNED anew at how good this film is, and even more stunned that it still has the power to shake me to the core.  Last night it felt like the first or second time again.  I cried, and rejoiced quietly at the same time.  The DVD is great, but there's just nothing like seeing it on the big screen.  The sound was divine too.  Heard every little crackle of the fire, and every little change in the wind. The 'force of nature' element was more potent for me this viewing, I think primarily because the sound was so good.

Better get going I suppose.  Maybe I'll be the only one in the theatre today ..... that'd be amazing  :).

Cheers

W

Offline madameshawshank

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 08:28:01 PM »
Wolf..'fonly I'd read your post earlier...could have arranged a change of time for a friend ..I'm taking her to the hospital to visit her husband...could have gone earlier...'n by 12.30 I'd have been there..now 12.20 'n all I can do is now imagine! however methinks we will meet for sure...and share brokeback stories..

gotta go soon ...so..a general callout to this lot...anyone around Sydney town on Sat Jan 3...the wondrous Stephen has opened his home so we can see the mountain tale together...without chocotop crunching  ;)

if any of you can make it...do let me know via pm...brian I'll be in touch...

plan is ...film 'round 4pmish...then Malaysian restaurant nearby to Stephen's ...talk talk talk...then home whenever....

would be wonderful if anyone can make it!

am looking forward to more and more Oz chat...what a gift this forum is eh!

still reckon Alma had the choice to be brave when she saw that kiss!  yep she was confronted...yep life had changed dramatically in an instant...however look at the years of lying...from both...until the volcanic eruption...when she could no longer live the lie..the pretending....

never ever has a film stayed with me as this has....every so often a snippet from one of the songs will come into my head...or I can be driving and a snippet of dialogue...or a frame from the film...how delightfully curious I say...

hugs to all..

“I've never accepted the external appearance of things as the whole truth… The world is much more elaborate than the nerves of our eye can tell us…” James Gleeson

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 05:00:18 AM »
Not able to go to Glenbrook today as looking after Mum who is very very ill despite being back home.
However Brokeback is causing me to come out all over the place. I go to a literature discussion group at Blaxland every 2nd Tuesday and afterwards some of us  have coffee in Blaxland. We were discussing movies and the Glenbrook theatre (the owner was also having coffee there - he was encouraging us to see Kinky Boots). Two were going to see Brokeback today at 12.30 and I told them I had seen it 3 times and cried for 30 minutes after first viewing. One discussed how 2 malefriends had been anti the film and one (of the male friends) said it would encourage young guys to become gay at which I exploded and told them I was gay and like most had fought to be straight for many many years before finally accepting it. They were all supportive except one (who you probably know Wolf) who said it was a private matter and she did not go round telling people she was heterosexual. As she suffers terribly from osteoporosis (is bent over and needs a walking frame)) and has an adult disabled son needing constant care I had no wish to argue with her. I will be interested to hear the reactions of the two who saw it today but have to wait nearly 2 weeks.

Offline madameshawshank

• Expert
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
Bravo Brian! the great joy and challenge of saying "THIS IS ME!"....If I could ask that woman a question it would be this..."Why do you think the way you do?"....'n I say that to myself every so often..about all sorts of issues...how much of us are as we are because we have decided to think/believe etc a certain way

I'm talking about stuff like..."our family always votes Liberal/Labor"  "our family..or group or whatever...had to be neat and tidy all the time." "our family is a Rugby Union family." "we think so and so is such and such."

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo often we are products of a story told.  The joy of that moment when we discover, at whatever age, we can fashion ourselves.  When we can choose to be the creator of self...

crumbs..'n all this at 7.33am ;) lordy lord!

my thoughts and hugs for your dear mum Brian...gentle hugs..