The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 266087 times)

Offline BBM-Intern

• Feet Wet
  • The one moment we all long for in our lives
Re: G'day!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
Hi everyone, it would appear that we have a final showing of BBM at the Schonell Theatre, starting today, Thursday 11-May-2006 through to Wednesday 17-May-2006.  Session times are 1800, except for Sunday 14-May which is 1600.  Sorry for repeating the earlier thread, but it would appear this cinema is closing down at the end of June due to voluntary student union funding shortages, so let's farewell this cinema in style.

C'mon, c'mon, what're you waitin' for cowboy/cowgirl?  A matin' call?  Another chance to see gorgeous jakey-poo on the big screen, bloody unreal!  Please PM me and we can round up a posse to go see it.  Initial thoughts are Saturday evening, get all dressed up, let them folks in BrizVegas know there's some brokeholics in their midst, "one in every crowd".

Lem
Love is the only force of nature to embrace, fear is not the alternative.

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »
BBM-Intern, wow, great plan!  wish I could fly up just for the evening - I'd even wear my cowgirl boots ;D ;D ;D.  give us a full report after the event, won't you - we like details  :).

Mmeshawshank, darn, knew I should have posted earlier than I did yesterday  ;).  Tho as you say, we're bound to meet eventually!   I'm with you regards Alma, BTW.  I think she came off best of the bunch.  She moved on to a better life, with real love via the good offices of Monroe.  Have long felt Lureen came off far worse.  At the end of a long, loveless marriage, she's left with nothing but bitterness, and a dead husband.  Tell you what, there's many a marriage I'm aware of that are more loveless, or more dysfunctional, than either of the two as portrayed in BBM.  And that's sans the gay factor.  Always like to insert that caveat when folk take to pontificating about the immorality of it all.  Jeez Louise, an episode of Desparate Housewives is more corrupt, and let's just count how many BBM detractors watch that religiously - I personally know of two!

Brianr, what a really BIG thing you did on tuesday.  Hats (in this case, Stetsons) off to you.  I'm just sorry there was one stick in the mud.  The dear woman would have her reasons for reaction, no doubt, but it's always sad to see someone voice a position that may wound their audience.  Do you think you'll continue the momentum into other areas of your life?  I'll say it again, the life-altering power of this film will never cease to amaze.  Further, it's a real joy and a privelage to be sharing the life-changes with new friends from this forum.  Sending get well soon wishes to your Mum.  Hope she's feeling a bit more chipper as the days pass. 

Incidentally, I'm curious as to how I'd know the woman you referred to from your literary group.  I know few people in the area outside the school community, but I'm slowly changing that.  Meantime, wish I could help you out with your two friends' reactions to BBM yesterday, but alas I'd be struggling to identify them even with a fullsome description - it turned out to be quite a busy session!  Report below.

Theatre about half full again (same as previous evening), tho more the demographic I'm used to.  Mostly 60+, with a few octogenerians thrown in for good measure.  There were 4 or 5 under 50's.  Myself, a 30ish gay bloke, a couple of 20-something girls, and another woman around my age.   Again, total silence.  Choctops put down within first few minutes.  No further coffee slurping or bag rustling.  Something about the opening scene sends the clear message, PAY ATTENTION! and most sensible people acquiese, despite the melting choctop!   Full attention and absolute, almost religious reverance was demonstrated by all for the duration.  Quite something to behold from my position in the very middle of the very back row.

For my part, I have to say in all honesty, that it was overwhelming.  How that is possible after having seen it the previous evening, I don't know, but there it is.  I could FEEL the emotional upheaval in those around me - it was genuinly palpable.  There's probably some physiological process (silent group hysteria maybe?) behind that, but it was most definitely there.   Every key scene left me breathless and in atrial fibrillation, so can imagine a room full of people doing same might register on some sort of sensor!  At the end I found myself in debrief with the young gay fellow, and an elderly woman, both of whom were sitting closest to me in back row.  The dear boy could hardly speak, and the woman said "why on earth didn't this movie get the oscar?!".    I mentioned that it was my 10th viewing (admitting lunacy to strangers), and both said "I can see why".

I had to go directly from the cinema to the school run, which was challenging.  Tho far from being bereft, as I have been after some viewings, I was euphoric!.  Wanted to shout from the rooftops that every human being on the planet MUST see this film before they die.  I suppose this it how it feels to be 'born again'.  Really gives me a new appreciation for friends and family who've taken to pentacostalism with ... ahem .... gusto.  Yet another of the myriad blessings bestowed by BBM.

Must get going - an inordinately long list of to-dos for the day.  Will be a glorious day, with the almost tangible presence of Jack and Ennis. 

W

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 07:53:59 PM »
BBM starts at The Edge theatre in Katoomba tonight and tomorrow night is advertised as a Pink Mountains Fundraiser promoting "acceptance and tolerance"  Arrival time 7pm Movie time 8.30pm $20 per person includes Movie, nibbles and a glass of pink champagne  A best dressed competition Cowboys/Wild west style. However I think I will delay my visit until Monday evening.

Wolf, I thought you would know the lady as she was teacher librarian at St Finbar's and I assumed might still be a parishioner but I may have assumed too much. As I said her life is very hard and I admire her courage  very much.

I wrote about my other coming out this week on another thread. It was at my Monday Hiking group which I have been with last year as well so know many of the members much better.

To quote from that post on the Christians who love Brokeback Thread
"It was interesting as I came out to one of the women I am good friends with and I think may have been overheard by the one I am best friends with (when hiking you cannot always hear full conversations behind and in front). I am not sure how it began but Maureen  said something about being a Catholic and thought I was (She knows I teach in Catholic schools) She was therefore surprised when I said No I am an Anglican. She was even more surprised when I told her I had taught religion in Catholic schools. It turns out she is a lapsed Catholic because she was divorced and refused to pay a large amount of money to get an annulment before remarrying. Why Oh Why are the churches so hung up on sex? They do so much harm and turn people away by their attitudes. My brother-in-law is Catholic but believes he is going to hell because he married my sister in an Anglican church (great basis for a marriage) pre Vatican II.  Any way we discussed that I was now going to an Anglo-catholic church (I had to explain that) and how much I loathed the Sydney Diocese. I then told her I had intended entering the Anglican priesthood but as I am gay that would have been a disaster in Sydney. The subject then changed ."

I do not know much about the Anglican church at Glenbrook but the minister at Springwood has written homophobic letters to the Gazette

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:31 PM »
Brian, despite appearances, I'm not familiar with St Finbars in any other sense than as mum of a student or two, and then only for the past few months since we're still new to the area.  We're not church goers so haven't met parishoners outside the school side of things.  Father John I know via students' services and the like.

Glenbrook Anglican has a female minister.  I like to imagine that means a more liberal approach, but in reality it could mean absolutely nothing.  Incidentally, my in-laws are high church Anglicans, and only in very recent years has their church 'relaxed' a little.  In no small part a result of the retirement of the stodgy old chap who'd ministered there for eons.

Interested to read you're also in a bushwalking group.  I have dreams of doing same when I finally get the last bairn off to school in two years time.  Are they a good bunch of people?  Do you get alot out of it generally speaking?  And was there any response at all after your mention of the priesthood 'problem'?  Incidentally, are you continuing to pursue that passion?  Would be a dreadful shame if your calling couldn't be answered because of church bickering.  Frankly (and I'm uninformed here, so forgive the bombastics), I'm sort of apalled that sexuality is even mentioned in 'recruitment' processes.  It's none of their beeswax really, and has no bearing on your abilities to minister.  A bit like asking a Buddhist monk how he gets his jollies. 

Thanks for the info regarding The Edge, by the way.  I had hoped there'd be daytime sessions, but alas, not to be.  Am considering opening negotiations with his nibs for another evening leave pass (two in a week ... what's the world coming to!) and going with a neighbour next monday or tuesday night.  Can't really bear the thought that it'll be on a big screen and I won't be in the audience.  This might be the last time it'll be in a theatre, EVER.  Missing it would be cruel and unusual punishment!

W

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2006, 10:13:08 PM »
Glenbrook Anglican has a female minister.  I like to imagine that means a more liberal approach, but in reality it could mean absolutely nothing. 
Sorry you must be mistaken. I went to the website and they mention 4 men as ministers and assistant ministers. In many churches in the Sydney Diocese women are not even allowed to read the lesson in a mixed congregation. They are not allowed to be in charge of a parish nor celebrate the Eucharist although at St James  King Street a woman always assists in the celebration and last week we had Dr Muriel Porter from Melbourne (but originally from Sydney) preach. She is a leader in the Movement for Women's ordination (no longer a movement outside of Sydney - now the push is for Women Bishops blocked at the moment by all powerful Sydney) She has just written a book "The New Puritans" criticising the Sydney Diocese with a chapter on gay acceptance. As we left I told her I enjoyed her book - it was breath of fresh air for a gayman in Sydney.
As you might noticed I am rather bitter about the Sydney Anglican Diocese. Yes I wanted to be a priest but it was made clear that I was not even wanted as a parishioner let alone as a priest. But that was over 30 years ago. Yet things in this Diocese are now worse. I intend moving to Dunedin NZ and hopefully to find a parish in which I can participate without fear of being discovered. I am a bit old now and prefer to be in the oldies groups discussing music and literature or going hiking. :) Yes our hiking group is for over 50's but I am sure you can find others in the Mountains. No we did not mention it again. The group split up and I went the longer way and my firend who has a pacemaker took the easier route.

Thanks for the info regarding The Edge, by the way.  I had hoped there'd be daytime sessions, but alas, not to be.  Am considering opening negotiations with his nibs for another evening leave pass (two in a week ... what's the world coming to!) and going with a neighbour next Monday or Tuesday night.  Can't really bear the thought that it'll be on a big screen and I won't be in the audience.  This might be the last time it'll be in a theatre, EVER.  Missing it would be cruel and unusual punishment!

:)
I will pm you with my phone number which you can ring if you decide to go on Monday night 6.15
Brian

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 03:52:55 AM »
After a month of lurking I've finally registered - had to say a big thanks to those people who've posted that BBM is showing in the Blue Mountains! So depressing when it finished its Sydney run, although 3 months is very long for this part of the world. Sadly I had to miss the Glenbrook sessions due to prior commitments and a lousy train timetable but I'm very hopeful I can make it to one of the Edge sessions. The only thing better than seeing the reunion scene on a big screen is seeing it on a BIG screen! I confidently expect the screen to shake when Ennis slams Jack against the wall. Monday is looking likely at this stage.

For those who live in the inner parts of Sydney, BBM is also showing at Govinda's in Darlinghurst. And now to order that DVD! Wait until July indeed. Phooey!

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 04:40:01 AM »
pp

lolita

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 06:49:38 AM »
OK, I am really confused here on a couple a issues...

First, Brianjr and Wolf, you know each other? Cause that would explain a lot... ;D

Second...how come you are still getting BBM to see at the cinemas? It finished about 6 weeks ago in QLD, although a beautiful person gave me an Oscars screening dvd 4 weeks ago, the actual dvd does not come out in OZ till Aug 26...(Did I mention I am obsessed? LOL)

Hey Sparky, I've seen your around..*waves*

Offline Tasmaniac

• The Devil You Know
  • Obsessed
  • You will never be alone...
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 08:43:47 AM »
Hey, there's an Aussie thread.  Stone the Crows.  BBM mountain left the cinema here (Townsville) about 2 weeks ago.  But for the last 3 weeks or so of showing it was only on once or twice a day at a small independent(ish) cinema.
Laughter is a Farce of Nature.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 02:16:47 PM »
Welcome to the Aussie thread Tasmaniac. Your name confused me as you apparently live in North Queensland ;D
No Lolita. I have never met Wolf although we both live in the Blue Mountains
The theatres where BBM are still showing are independents in the Blue Mountains. the Glenbrook Cinema is a small screen in the community hall but a great little cinema. Brokeback finished there last night  :(
The Edge cinema in Katoomba is also independent and is a giant screen for showing a tourist film of the Blue Mountains during the day (great if the mountain mists prevent real views) In the evening they show normal movies for us locals but with only one screen, they tend to lag the city a bit although Da Vinci is starting at the same time. Brokeback started last night and runs for one wonderful week.

Offline madameshawshank

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
8.10am...am as busy as all getout today..and for the next couple of days..then to Queensland for 2 weeks...

darlings all...this to say...my god this thread has such an Australian feel to it....big big smile on ma dial...

crumbs we could all meet in the Alice one day...imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf...as for Lureen...that phone call...she's still paintin' those nails...however she's in that hell spot where she don't care if she gets a smudge on her skin...however........................................................................... she still has the opportunity to let go of the story...and create herself herself... :)always the moment of opportunity..'tis life

my hope is to meet as many of you darlins as I possibly can..anyone from Adelaide? I'll be there in midJune for a week with my husband, and father (he all of 90 'n fabulous)
“I've never accepted the external appearance of things as the whole truth… The world is much more elaborate than the nerves of our eye can tell us…” James Gleeson

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2006, 10:19:11 AM »
The Happening Place on the Ultimate Brokeback Forum!

You're Invited!!!

Due to the overwhelming increase of guests, Auntie's 24 Hour Diner has expanded!!  Auntie sends her heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made the Diner an unprecedented success!

Auntie extends a personal invitation to everyone to come help celebrate the Diner's new additions and improvements!

The festivities begin tomorrow, May 14, 2006, from 1:00pm EST and end at ????

Please plan to have a great time - bring your friends and families!!

The new additions to Auntie's Famous 24-Hour Diner include a new patio, complete with a Brokeback Mountain mural, courtesy of Desertrat!

A 30-person hot tub, located in the new lower level, also with a gorgeous mural depicting the inside of a tent - courtesy of Desertrat

4 outdoor fire rings personally built by CellarDweller115

A beautiful new Koi pond personally built and stocked by The Lancinator

So come on out tomorrow and enjoy the new sights.  You may even get a chance to meet Auntie's newest staff personel - Adrian and Ross:Broken - decked out in their new Diner uniforms!
(Think chaps and not much else)  ;)

Chuck the Singing Waiter plans to be on hand for your music requests out on the new patio!

Auntie will be Reigning Supreme in her new Peacock Throne,
provided by Wyomen aka Dana

All your favorite beverages and food will be provided!

Project conceived by Dana aka Wyomen
Funding Provided by the International Independent Diners Association
Construction Provided by Guests and Employees of Auntie's 24 Hour Diner

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »
Just a quickie to say "have fun" to Photondancer and Brianr at the 6.15 session tonight.  Will be there with you in spirit!

I think Brian answered the question on why BBM is still showing.  Independent cinemas is the answer - long may they reign  ;D.  Someone also asked if Brian and I know eachother - only via this thread so far!  We both live in Blue Mtns, so are in a a sense, neighbours too. 

Have a good trip, Mmeshawshank.  Safe travels.

Sparky, I'd read your posts early on regarding your Aussie man and the difficulties you two face.  Really pleased to find you've visited our thread, and hope you can drop in often.  Incidentally, I know Wee Jasper (what a great place name that is!), it's a lovely place.  Very much sheep country, as you say.  Ennis and Jack would be right at home  ;D

As per above, I'm sadly not going to be able to make it to the 6.15pm session at The Edge tonight (can't crunch the childcare numbers), but have managed to wrangle a leave pass for tomorrow night's 8.45pm session.  Very bloody late for someone who generally konks out around 9pm, but there it is.  Am happy just to be going at all - when so many people have no hope of seeing it on the big screen again.  Will be going with a neighbour who, while only having seen it twice so far, is deeply in BBM's thrall.  Incidentally, when her and my hubby got wind of our plans for a 'belated mothers' day treat', they both almost in unison, said "so long as it's not Brokeback Mountain AGAIN".  Said they'd have to consider psychiatric intervention if so.  We both basically cracked up, since that's precisely what we were planning!  Hubbies had the good sense to avoid further interrogation and leave well enuf alone, but not before we grilled them on just WHY it was such a dire prospect.  We pointed out that respectively, she and I had each seen other films repeatedly, some up to 20 or 30 times, with no opposition from the spouses.  They both failed, utterly, to come up with a single reason as to why it was problematic.  We were in hysterics like a couple of kids by the end of this silly male posturing.  Was most entertaining!

Aside from this nonsense, neighbour's hubby admitted having seen it on pay-per-view in his hotel room on recent business trip.  I pointed out to him that he'd volunteered himself and he responded with "I wanted to know what all the fuss was about".  He went on to question us at some length about many of the themes and elements of the film, and had a surprisingly good recall of the details.  My own hubby manifested his 'haunting' by referring to it, vaguely and in passing, for about 2 weeks after seeing it.   You can see why we found their horror at the thought of us seeing it, AGAIN, so funny!

Cheers all.  Enjoy the lovely rain we're getting!

W

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2006, 09:17:36 PM »
It's a shame you can't make it tonight Wolf, it would've been fun to catch up! The 8:45 session was not very feasible for me with a 2 hour train trip back to Sydney after. 6:15 was rather a naughty choice on my part because it means leaving work before 3pm and missing a work meeting - but BBM trumps a boring meeting any day and besides, my manager called in sick today! 'tis Fate whispering in my ear "this ain't no little thing you got going here".

I have every intention of catching at least one of the Govinda's sessions also, especially since I'll have to miss the 3rd June gathering. I have a 7:30pm flight to Darwin that day :-(

I'm still learning this newfangled forum thing, for weeks I was baffled by posters' references to this thread and that, but on the weekend I finally tracked down the "The camera loves Jake" thread and am now rather like a kid in a lolly shop. He must have the most beautiful mouth in Christendom! I had the utterly gorgeous blue-tinged studio shot of him as the wallpaper on my computer at work last week and it was freaking out my all-male workplace! Very entertaining. I took pity this week and changed it to a much younger shot of him, which doesn't seem to threaten them as much. Maybe that's contributing (just a little) to your husbands' collective angst?

Yay for the rain! Wish I'd got off my backside and planted those bulbs now.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2006, 09:32:57 PM »
The rain is great. Also meant I cancelled my hiking for today which means I will not fall asleep during BBM tonight (as if I would :))