The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 266088 times)

Offline Luke-1

• Experienced
Re: G'day!
« Reply #405 on: September 16, 2006, 02:30:15 AM »
Angel - 3-hrs in the saddle sounds like the Megalong Valley? Taking yr i-pod or cd with the soundtrack? I went on a bushwalk a few weeks ago and listened to the soundtrack as I walked - might not be the safest or coolest thing to do if yr with others as well as riding a horse tho - but the solitude of walking alone in the bush, coupled with listening to the soundtrack provided a unique "twist" to the day!
Luke

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »
Well folks, I was unable to find the intestinal fortitude to stay awake until 11pm on saturday night   :-\.  as I was yawning and dopey (dopier than usual) by 7.30pm, a 9pm viewing wasn't really on the cards.  ended up forfeiting the lads for two episodes of Star Trek Enterprise (traded Jake for Scott Bakula ......things that make you go "hmmmm").  my apologies for being a party pooper.  I really aught to know better than to attempt such feats of derring-do as staying awake past 8.30.

Angel, since we haven't heard from you thus far on this sunny monday, can we assume you're prone somewhere in a back-to-front gown?

Luke, is your lovable brat in the same club as my husband?  ie, the "don't watch that movie in my presence" club?  and FTR, just a school mum.  Mixing it up with the 30yr olds   :-\.

Hi to Brian, BBMIntern, Campfire, ffrn, Katie (if you're lurking  ;)), and Mme S. 

W

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2006, 09:27:37 PM »
Wolf, I'm working my way up to the three hour ride (which will be in Plenty, Luke - tres ordinairre, to quote Wolf) and will probably be next week now.
I have to announce to my husband that I'm putting on "My DVD" so that he runs off to bed and hides for the requisite time. I will not tolerate interruptions!

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
So, Angel, Plenty is plenty dud eh?  I'm not sufficiently familiar with Melbourne environs to know it  :-[.  In what fashion are you working your way up to the ride?  are you skipping around the house astride a broomstick clicking your tongue in time to imaginary hoofbeats?

I had a good chuckle at your hubby's sensible approach to BBM.  Mine is also generally happy to absent himself for the duration - though in our case it's reversed because our 'good' DVD player (ie, the only one that will play BBM) is in our bedroom.  Ergo his nibs gets the loungeroom and all it's added attractions - proximity to kitchen, bigger telly, etc etc.  Incidentally, I've advised him that he'll be required to watch it again some day - to which he grumbles and says a swear word, followed by "maybe, but not in this decade" or some such.

Have a good day all.  My brother and his wife are expecting their first baby any day, so off I go to pester SIL via email with questions like "are you having lots of braxton hicks?, how are you sleeping?, do you feel baby has dropped at all in the past few days" and other equally irritating enquiries. 

W

Offline madameshawshank

• Expert
« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »
G'day Gang d'Oz..

time for a brief, and hug-coated farewell as we take off on our expedition...10 weeks...fly out tomorrow...my Papa with me now..time for Scrabble in the sunshine...time for the sun to soak into my feet..

thinking of you all with much much affection..

almost a fifth of a year!! golly gosh

love

I'll be in touch when I can...we'll be here and there and everywhere..

maybe I'll sleep tonight...the pattern is that I'm awake before the birds ;)

big hugs until next time...
“I've never accepted the external appearance of things as the whole truth… The world is much more elaborate than the nerves of our eye can tell us…” James Gleeson

• Obsessed
« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2006, 10:17:12 PM »
BROKEBACK ALERT! It will be showing at the Astor in St Kilda, Melbourne, on Tuesday 17th October. Not a double bill, thank goodness. Are there any other Victorians lurking out there or do Campfire and I have the territory to ourselves?? I'll be there.
My much-maligned husband says "Why can't you be satisfied with the DVD? but he knows he's fighting a losing battle!
In sneaky ways, I managed to read much of the story to him while seeking his opinion on some point or other - at least, that's what I tell him!
Broomstick? Clicking noises? No, finest coconuts carried by african swallows. Actually, I'm doing my backache exercises.

Offline photondancer

• Feet Wet
« Reply #411 on: September 19, 2006, 03:16:31 AM »
I don't have the dvd yet. I know conversion to the PAL format results in a slightly reduced running time – can anyone tell me if it is at all noticeable?

Oh, is that what it is? When I bought the DVD and saw the running time was a good 5 minutes less than the cinematic version I had conniptions. But as the others have assured you, you can't notice any difference (which doesn't make any sense to me but Google tells me is something to do with frame rates. Dammit, I want this movie to last as long as possible!). So I do hope you've bought the DVD by now!

I’d be interested in what you think about the director’s cut version of Donnie Darko once you’ve had a chance to refresh your memory – I’ve only seen the original, but have read that the director’s cut makes the mistake of trying to explain things better left to the imagination. With films like that I’m happy to go along for the ride – understanding what the hell is going on is an optional extra!

Once I watched them it was obvious there are a lot of differences between the two versions. I guess the reason the Director's Cut seemed familiar when I first saw it is because it incorporates a lot of material from the website. I don't mind that, but I do mind that Donnie seems a bit less likable in the Director's Cut, especially in his relations with his girlfriend. I always sigh at the moment when he says to her that their first kiss should be a reminder of how beautiful life can be. What I wouldn't give for a boyfriend who sees life is such romantic terms! That scene is still there but it's counterbalanced by a couple of changes that I don't like. Anyway, Donnie Darko is on at the Chauvel on Sunday 1st Oct., 6pm. The calendar doesn't say which version but it will probably be the Director's Cut, if you're prepared to give it a go...

Also watched The Day After Tomorrow. I had remembered Jake as looking similar to BBM in this film and was much surprised to find that actually he still looked very young. I can see now why so many fans on the Eyelashes thread say he seems to have grown up overnight. Yes, I'm still patiently ploughing my way thru 'Lashes, a few pages per week. Sadly, most of the photos have been removed from thread 1. :'(

Does anybody recollect October Sky (the film that launched Jake, excuse the pun) being released in Oz? IMDb assures me it was (1999) but I don't remember it at all. Not that I see every movie that comes out but I tend to be aware of them at least, and I feel I should've noticed this one because I had a boyfriend who was a space enthusiast.

Madameshawshank, enjoy your trip! bon voyage and we want lots of field reports. I'd be particularly interested in hearing European opinions of BBM.

Steve, hope your busyness is not detracting from your trip! Enjoy England and Japan.

Greets to the rest of G'Day! Thanks to whoever posted the tip about reading a person's posts via their profile, that's a great way to catch up with those who've joined this forum recently.

Offline campfire

• Experienced
  • What a beautiful smile / can you stay for a while?
« Reply #412 on: September 19, 2006, 05:09:45 AM »
BROKEBACK ALERT! It will be showing at the Astor in St Kilda, Melbourne, on Tuesday 17th October. Not a double bill, thank goodness. Are there any other Victorians lurking out there or do Campfire and I have the territory to ourselves?? I'll be there.
My much-maligned husband says "Why can't you be satisfied with the DVD? but he knows he's fighting a losing battle!
In sneaky ways, I managed to read much of the story to him while seeking his opinion on some point or other - at least, that's what I tell him!
Broomstick? Clicking noises? No, finest coconuts carried by african swallows. Actually, I'm doing my backache exercises.

Thanks for the info , Angel .. Checked out the Astors web site, there is one session on 7/Oct, but could not see the 17/Oct .
 How did you find out about it?

I  would love to come , so  we can meet at last :)... Just it is Tue night, kids activities.. all  that jazz.I will see what I can do..
I will let you know how I go with this..Maybe I can manage to bring a friend too , who knows .

Hello to everyone.. Enjoy your Europe trip Madame, Sep-Oct good months to travel for northern semisphere..

I have watched  "Far from Heaven"  last night. nice movie.. very stylish directing, acting, costumes  .. Has anyone seen it ?

Biiig Hugs..
He came into his life 
like wildfire during Indian summer;
Full of bright light
and uncontainable fierceness.
And even when Jack was gone,
Ennis still felt that warm presence
nuzzled in the depths of his heart..

• Obsessed
« Reply #413 on: September 20, 2006, 11:55:28 PM »
Campfire - definately not the 7th. That has two other films listed. The 17th is on their calendar which you can download (you know, those lovely coloured things) I hope you can come otherwise I'll probably be by myself. I'll just cry alone!!
I've seen Far From Heaven - an interesting film.

Offline BBM-Intern

• Feet Wet
  • The one moment we all long for in our lives
« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2006, 07:21:10 AM »
Hi you Melburnians (did I spell that right?),

Please don't torment me, is it true that our beloved BBM is showing again at a cinema?  Am thinking of flying down from Brissie to see it if it's real, and if there's a few of us to make a posse to go.  Come on, let's have a round-up and make an effort to attend, get dressed up, lots of Ennises, Jacks, Lureens and Almas.  If folks can get dressed up for Rocky Horror etc. so can we.  "It could be like this, just like this always - if we make the effort".  Maybe we could meet beforehand, somewhere where we could have some coffee, a piece of cherry cake or apple pie - somebody stop me, I'm getting too excited!

How about making this a preliminary get-together, before we go further afield horse-riding and all in the snow?

Lem :-)
Love is the only force of nature to embrace, fear is not the alternative.

Offline Luke-1

• Experienced
« Reply #415 on: September 23, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »
BBM-Intern - Hi, I'm a relative newbie on the block (or should I say "the ranch")... I like yr idea of flying down for such a gathering. I'm prepared to fly across from Perth if its on the 17th. Thats the only day I could - not the 7th tho. It also depends on what time the session is on as I would be having to fine-tune flights.

Luke

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2006, 08:27:45 PM »
Just jumping in here to say you are one entertaining group of folks....
May I add two things:
Galloping about the casa on a broomstick while 'clicking' is the only way you'd get me on a horse these days; and

I swear, if I had the greenbacks, I'd be hopping a flight to Melbourne for the 10/17 showing...now that would be exciting, to be with Heath's fellow countrymen during a BBM viewing..sigh....

Best to all you crazy Aussies..!! And hey Mini, how's your kiss/no kiss argument these days??  :D ;) ;D

Offline Luke-1

• Experienced
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2006, 02:45:06 AM »
Hi Canstandit. thanks - yr welcome! It's a bit of a hike from AZ to AU my friend. I'm sure that you'll read about it if and when we do "get together" in either Melbourne for the movie or the mountains for the ride. Haven't been to a BBM get together yet, so the prospect is exciting!

Hi Campfire & MinisteringAngel - what are yr thoughts on the proposal by BBM-Intern? Is it do-able?

Cheers to all

Luke

Offline campfire

• Experienced
  • What a beautiful smile / can you stay for a while?
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2006, 03:53:24 PM »
Hi Canstandit. thanks - yr welcome! It's a bit of a hike from AZ to AU my friend. I'm sure that you'll read about it if and when we do "get together" in either Melbourne for the movie or the mountains for the ride. Haven't been to a BBM get together yet, so the prospect is exciting!

Hi Campfire & MinisteringAngel - what are yr thoughts on the proposal by BBM-Intern? Is it do-able?

Cheers to all

Luke

Hi Luke & BBM-Intern,

Time is 7:30 pm on  Tuesday 17/October. Personally I would love to watch   the movie together. But I  still need to work out the strategy to be there  that night - arranging the kids - and confirm if I can do or not.. I may not be able to join you guys after the movie or during the next days as such. But meeting BBM fans like myself would  be a privilege.

How would it suit you  Angel, what do you think ?

Biiig Hugs

He came into his life 
like wildfire during Indian summer;
Full of bright light
and uncontainable fierceness.
And even when Jack was gone,
Ennis still felt that warm presence
nuzzled in the depths of his heart..

Offline Wolf

• Experienced
« Reply #419 on: September 24, 2006, 08:17:48 PM »
Morning all,

Just adding an "I'm deeply envious" to the chorus.  Would that we could all get down to Melbourne for the 17th  :'(.  As it is, I'm sitting here staring at a Jetstar ticket taking me south on November 10 - which just makes it that much more frustrating!

Still, it'll be a most wonderful thing if a few of you guys can get together to share the event - can only imagine how grand it'd be to sit in a darkened cinema with my fellow Brokies, waiting for those first mournful notes ....... sigh ..........

Busy week this week - much gardening and spring has sprung stuff outdoors.  Back soonish.

W

PS Angel.  I actually had the aforementioned coconut shells as a wee slip of a girl - my interest in all things equus knew no bounds.  how are the back strengthening drills going?

PSS Howdy CSI - is this the first time we've seen you here?