The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 402869 times)

Gonzo

Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2006, 10:34:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing the cake recipe, Twistedboy! Can I just ask what's in the pumpkin pie spice and the allspice? In Sweden, we mostly use either cardamom or a blend of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves for cakes. Is it the same in the USA?

Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.  My guess is equal parts, so you could use 1/2 tsp of each.  Allspice is a spice called Allspice.  I know no other name for it.  Good luck although you hardly need it for this recipe.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2006, 03:47:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing the cake recipe, Twistedboy! Can I just ask what's in the pumpkin pie spice and the allspice? In Sweden, we mostly use either cardamom or a blend of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves for cakes. Is it the same in the USA?

laurentia,

"Allspice, botanically-known as Pimenta officinalis, is native to Central and South America, but is most closely associated with the West Indies island of Jamaica. .....  Allspice comes by its name for a very good reason. The berries have a combined flavor of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves with a hint of juniper and peppercorn. Some enterprising spice companies sell a mixture of spices as allspice, so be sure and check the ingredients on the label to be sure you are getting the real thing."

read more about it here:  http://homecooking.about.com/cs/spices/a/allspice.htm

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2006, 06:27:08 AM »

How long have salad spinners been on the market?
I only just got myself one recently, LOL.

8)

I got one as a wedding gift 20 years ago...
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2006, 06:35:44 AM »
Is there a difference between a spinner and a shooter?  lol   

Gosh I hope we're still talking salad here...lol~
otherwise this post belongs in one of the "naughty bits" threads!
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2006, 09:11:36 AM »

laurentia,

"Allspice, botanically-known as Pimenta officinalis, is native to Central and South America, but is most closely associated with the West Indies island of Jamaica. .....  Allspice comes by its name for a very good reason. The berries have a combined flavor of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves with a hint of juniper and peppercorn. Some enterprising spice companies sell a mixture of spices as allspice, so be sure and check the ingredients on the label to be sure you are getting the real thing."

read more about it here:  http://homecooking.about.com/cs/spices/a/allspice.htm

Thanks a million, gnash! I thought allspice sounded like some kind of spice blend at first.
Your post made me think, "aww, I'll never be able to hunt any of that weird, exotic Carribbean spice down where I live  :-\", but then I googled "pimento" and found that it's actually kryddpeppar! Allspice is a very common ingredient in extremely old-fashioned Swedish food, the kind of dishes that are only made for Christmas and only eaten by grandparents, so the spice is widely available even here in the apparent outback of the baking world  :D
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2006, 03:19:27 PM »
oh, so allspice is pimento is kryddpeppar! hmm, foods eaten only by grandparents! odd,,, extremely old fashioned swedish food sounds kinda yummy~! it's funny, because "pimento" here is the red thing, a pepper, found inside of green olives. the kind you stick in martinis! that's a drink, drunk only by old people (over 21 at least!) you wouldn't want that inside of a spice cake, i don't think. the pepper, i mean...

here is my favorite martini recipe.. no olives this time.

MANGO MARTINI

honey
ripe mango
fresh lime juice
some chilled vodka
a good dry triple sec

scrape out the soft flesh of the mango, avoiding the stringy flesh close to the inside seed. then add about a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of lime juice. blend well with handblender to make a thick puree. pour into a small squeeze bottle. keep chilled. (you can scrape the seed and add those juices to the vodka mix below if you wish.)

make the martini:

2 parts vodka
1 part triple sec
splash of lime juice

add that to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. shake well, then very quickly (or have a friend do this while you're making the martini), squeeze a generous bead of the mango puree onto the *dry* upper inside rim of a large martini glass. it should be dry so the puree sticks to the glass. (don't bother to chill this glass beforehand in the freezer.) strain the martini into the glass, just below the rim of the glass.

~ rotate the glass as you drink, so every sip is mixed with the mango puree ~

Gonzo

« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2006, 03:24:50 PM »
oh, so allspice is pimento is kryddpeppar! hmm, foods eaten only by grandparents! odd,,, extremely old fashioned swedish food sounds kinda yummy~! it's funny, because "pimento" here is the red thing, a pepper, found inside of green olives. the kind you stick in martinis! that's a drink, drunk only by old people (over 21 at least!) you wouldn't want that inside of a spice cake, i don't think. the pepper, i mean...

here is my favorite martini recipe.. no olives this time.

The pimiento in an olive is a different thing and has a different spelling.  A second "i" just before the "e".

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2006, 05:02:01 PM »
thanks for that, twistedboy! interesting, pronounced the same, pimiento is the sweet pepper, and pimento is the allspice berry... what i didn't know is that pemientos were a source of paprika. i thought that was from the paprika pepper. ;) oddly enough, many olive manufacturers still refer to the red stuff in their olives as "pimentos" and will spell it that way on the label!

Main Entry: pi·mien·to
Pronunciation: p&-'men-(")tO, p&m-'yen-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s):  plural -tos
Etymology: Spanish from pimienta
Date: 1845
1 : any of various bluntly conical thick-fleshed sweet peppers of European origin that have a distinctive mild sweet flavor and are used especially as a garnish, as a stuffing for olives, and as a source of paprika
2 : a plant that bears pimientos

Main Entry: pi·men·to
Pronunciation: p&-'men-(")tO
Inflected Form(s):  plural -tos or -to
Etymology: Spanish pimienta allspice, pepper, from Late Latin pigmenta, plural of pigmentum plant juice, from Latin, pigment

then there's this... now i'm confused...

Main Entry: pimento cheese
Date: 1916
: a Neufchâtel, process, cream, or occasionally cheddar cheese to which ground pimientos have been added

how very palimpsest are these pimentos! ;D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:42:14 PM by gnash »

Gonzo

« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2006, 05:08:43 PM »
thanks for that, twistedboy!

Actually, most of the credit goes to you, cuz I got that info from the very link you provided earlier.  So, thank you!!   :-* :-*

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2006, 01:10:56 AM »
oh, so allspice is pimento is kryddpeppar! hmm, foods eaten only by grandparents! odd,,, extremely old fashioned swedish food sounds kinda yummy~!

OK, here's an example:  :)

Pickled herring

2 whole herrings (or 4 fillets)
1 - 2 red onions

2 dl water (1 cup, or actually 0.8 cups, but let's not be picky)
1 dl white distilled vinegar (1/2 cup)
1,5 dl sugar (3/4 cup)
10 whole grains of allspice
5 whole grains of white pepper
1 bay leaf

glass jar with room for at least a pint (judging from the measures above)

If the herring is salted, it needs to be soaked in water, 10 - 12 hours for fillets, 24 hours for whole fish. Savour the feeling of living in the 19th century while you're waiting. Then cut the herring in half-inch pieces and slice the onions.
Put water, distilled vinegar, sugar and spices in a pot and bring to the boil, remove from the stove and allow to cool.
Put the herring pieces and the onion slices in the jar, layering them nicely, and pour the liquid on top. Put the lid on and leave in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours (preferably it should mature at least overnight). It will keep for a week.

Eat next Saturday (the 24th, Midsummer's Eve) with small, new potatoes boiled with dill, a dollop of sourcream, and Swedish crispbread with butter and cheese. Strawberries with cream for dessert is a must.

There are usually several kinds of pickled herring to choose from and I, like most younger people, only ever eat those that have a white sauce instead of the clear one in this recipe. The white sauce contains creme fraiche or something and hides the look and taste of the herring better than the one above. Children almost never touch herring at all, they get meatballs and hotdogs instead.

Proof that people are strange: the same age group that is into pickled herring is strongly suspicious about sushi, because there's raw fish in sushi. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allspice is also used in dishes like black pudding and sylta, which is an old way of cooking the parts of a slaughtered animal that you can't do anything else with, like the meat you can srape off the head and stuff. Sylta is small pieces of unspecified meat, boiled with spices and glued together with gelatine into a slab that looks a little like a paté, or - like in the days before gelatine - wrapped in bacon rind and pressed together by putting a weight on top of it. I've seen it served at Christmas and sold in the food shop, but I've never seen anyone eat it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:32:44 AM by Laurentia »
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2006, 09:38:52 PM »
ohh, THAT kind of old fashioned food.... allspice is used often in desserts, so i thought you mean antiquated sweet things!

yes, ickled herriing isn't really my cup of tea, but my dad,  used to eat that stuff, and my polish grandma too.

i do like weird raw things tho, sushi and stuff rocks my world but i must limit it due to the parasites.

even with the good stuff, it seems there's always something there to remind you ;D

thanks for the recipe tho, it seems fairly simple, and i bet it's tasty too!

Gonzo

« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2006, 05:34:51 AM »
ickled herriing isn't really my cup of tea,
I know this is a typo, but I think it's a much better word than pickled.   ;) ;)

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2006, 08:34:43 AM »
ickled herriing isn't really my cup of tea,
I know this is a typo, but I think it's a much better word than pickled.   ;) ;)

Me too! I thought it was intentional.  :D

Bobbie

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2006, 09:01:15 AM »
Is there such a thing as a "Midsummer's Eve" menu?  I was watching "The Girls Next Door" about Hugh Heffner's "girlfriends" who live at the Playboy Mansion.  (I know, I know, my radical feminism went on a vaction once a week for about an hour  :o) and they through a huge pretty stunning looking "Midsummer's Eve" party.

There costumes were stunning too...well except for Kendra who basically wore nipple tassels, but that's a nother story.

Bobbie

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2006, 09:26:31 AM »
Is there such a thing as a "Midsummer's Eve" menu?  I was watching "The Girls Next Door" about Hugh Heffner's "girlfriends" who live at the Playboy Mansion.  (I know, I know, my radical feminism went on a vaction once a week for about an hour  :o) and they through a huge pretty stunning looking "Midsummer's Eve" party.

There costumes were stunning too...well except for Kendra who basically wore nipple tassels, but that's a nother story.

Bobbie

Yes, I'd say there is. As with most traditions and customs, it's not exactly the same everywhere, but the new potatoes with dill, the pickled herring, the crispbread, and the strawberries with cream are absolute musts. You also get shots of spirits, basically vodka flavoured with various herbs, and most people will drink beer with the food. The traditional menu on Swedish holidays is a smörgåsbord (I think you might know the word  :)), a variety of dishes, so for Midsummer you'll often find meatballs, sausages, maybe some fish (especially gravlax, which is very nice, made from raw salmon), salads, cheeses...
For Christmas, it's pretty much the same, only with more and heavier food.

I'm sorry to say that costumes aren't generally that great here, though  :)  We save them for the celebration of St Lucia in December.