The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 428152 times)

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #1590 on: November 11, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
As long as you've got a Swede to keep you straight! (as it were.... :D)

Yes!!! He needs a Swede to keep an eye on him and keep him straight!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1591 on: November 11, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
Yes!!! He needs a Swede to keep an eye on him and keep him straight!

Nope, not 'straight' but "gaily forward"! ;D
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1592 on: November 12, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1593 on: July 28, 2019, 09:28:03 AM »
Hi all!

New Brokie speaking! well, new in this message board, not so new to the movie, as it changed my life 13 years ago. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from Barcelona, I'm now 37, which means I was only 24 when it all started. Time flies, indeed, and there's never enough :)

My story might be similar to many of yours. Saw the movie 5 times at the cinema, commented on a spanish-speaking message board (I'm so sorry I didn't find this one back then!), bought the DVD, book, soundtrack, everything. I literally cried for a whole year. It was the most devastating, sad time in my life and I'm still wondering WHY it affected me so deeply.This must be "the" question, right? WHY. Anway, for reasons that I still don't understand, after a year or so, around mid 2007, the movie and its effects started to fade away. I was back to the "normal life", and I forgot it to the point that Heath's death in 2008 didn't really hit me, I saw him/the movie as a distant thing, something already buried in the past. I guess I had cried too much, I had been too sad in 2006-2007 that somehow I developed a way to protect myself (by forgetting). I still don't know.

More than a decade after, last month exactly, I had the need to watch the movie again, and here I am again, feeling like I used to in 2006, feeling teary only by thinking about Jack and Ennis. These past weeks I've been in a kind of trip through my memories of that time, of it all. And this is how I found the Facebook Group and now this amazing message board. I'm more than happy to see that there is still life here, I was really fearing I might be alone after so many years! I've also found out that you all participated in a book, this is GREAT and I have already ordered it. I wish I had known this site, and you all, before...

And this is my present and my past, but I'm excited about my future plans, thhat include: a) a gathering in London to see Jake's theater play in September with some of you, and b) a trip to Alberta in the summer 2020, to visit the movie locations (I'll open a thread nearer the date to see if anyone wants to join me!!).

That's all, thank you so much for reading. I'm catching up reading as many posts as I can.
Speak soon dear brokies!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1594 on: July 28, 2019, 09:34:43 AM »
It's wonderful to meet you, and I'm glad that you found us, and the London gathering to see Jake in his play!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1595 on: July 28, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
Yes, yes and yes to all you say, Judit! Except that I don’t dare to watch the movie now, so I don’t cry. And what is most true is that it really has changed my life... added so much to it and in so many different ways.

Hope to see you in London. :)

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1596 on: July 28, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
Thank you both for your welcome.
Very, very happy to be among you  ;)

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1597 on: July 29, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
Welcome Judit!

Glad you found us. Your story is very similar to many of ours.

About Alberta, it's very rewarding to actually see the movie sites with your own eyes. Quite a few of us have been there, some more than once.

Some of the sites have changed or disappeared over the years, nature and weather takes its course.

Here's a great site for you to explore before you go:

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1598 on: July 30, 2019, 03:34:31 AM »
Hi Sason, thank you for your messages. I visited the site you mention, it is absolutely amazing, a bit overwhelming too! I mean there are soooo many places to go that I decided to postpone it for next year, because I think there is a lot of preparation work to do before the trip.
Anyway, I appreciate it, let's keep in touch and hopefully, see you in London!!
Judit

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1599 on: July 30, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
Nope, not 'straight' but "gaily forward"! ;D

I can hear Jimmy and Michael saying that right now!!

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1600 on: July 30, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »

Welcome, Judit!

It's nice to have you with us.

Feel free to join the Diner - it's a lovely place, and very casual and friendly.

¡Bienvenida!
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1601 on: July 30, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
That's all, thank you so much for reading. I'm catching up reading as many posts as I can.
Speak soon dear brokies!

My name is Chuck (USA/ New Jersey) and I'm one of the moderators who helps run the place.

It's always great to see new members find us and join up!

I can see from your increasing post count that you're searching around the forum!  Good!  I'm going to supply you with a few links that you may find helpful.  You may have already been in a few threads in these sections, but you may find some new topics you want to post in.  If you see that a topic is "old", and then you get a message about the thread being "old", as long as the thread is unlocked, you can post there, so please do!!!   Please don't feel that you shouldn't post.  You never know what conversation would be started because you posted.

In this section you can find threads to compare the movie to the short story (Film Vs. Book), your favorite quote from the movie or book, and general discussion of Brokeback.

In this section you can find threads about reactions of the audience, how the movie affected you, and other topics.

Here you will find threads that talk about various scenes from the movie. 

This is where you'll find threads that talk about Jack, Ennis, their relationship, the women of Brokeback, and other elements.

There are other sections as well where you'll find chat threads (The Diner,  Le Bar Slash) fan fiction discussion, TV, movies, music, and countless other threads.

Have fun exploring!

Offline haizea

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1602 on: July 31, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the introduction to the different threads, it is very useful to know how it works. I'm so glad I found this site!  ;)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1603 on: July 31, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »
Yay! Welcome from Fritz in Arlington VA!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1604 on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
Hi Sason, thank you for your messages. I visited the site you mention, it is absolutely amazing, a bit overwhelming too! I mean there are soooo many places to go that I decided to postpone it for next year, because I think there is a lot of preparation work to do before the trip.
Anyway, I appreciate it, let's keep in touch and hopefully, see you in London!!
Judit

Glad you liked the site!

Yes, there are many movie sites, but of course you don't have to visit all of them in one trip.... 8)

If you need advice, I (among others, I'm sure) will be glad to help you.

Yes, I'm planning to go to London! Would be nice to see you there!