The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 411466 times)

Offline KeithOBny

• Feet Wet
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2006, 04:07:12 PM »
LOL...Twistedboy

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
  • I'm not kissing you, I'm whispering in your mouth
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2006, 08:51:24 PM »
I too am just finding all the many wonderful things this site has to offer.  All the love I feel is just overwhelming (giving and receiving).   

I watched BBM on DVD the last night before it was due back at the video store and wound up keeping it 2 more weeks.  The day I returned it I bought it.  I couldn't go a day without watching (it's been 3 days now, I'm getting jittery).  Before BBM I used the computer maybe 2-3 times per week, for mail and a little google.  Then I googled BBM just to see what was out there and I haven't left this site or my laptop since.  Both have changed many things in my life, all for the good.  Crying harder (often at inappropriate times), laughing harder (those photo captions!), and enjoying this new found awareness. 

My kids think it's hysterical to see their mom dragging her laptop all over the house, they know I'm obsessed, we all laugh a lot more now about everything (it's great!).  I'm divorced recently, 40, white straight female and  I am so in love with Brokeback Mountain!!!  It has taken me back to the days when I was a naive young girl and read all those romance novels, thinking true love existed.  After 2 failed marriages (both ended by me, I knew something was missing) it was highly unlikely. (stupid prince charming making me set my hopes so high!)  Then along comes BBM.  All of the warmth, happiness and hope of my youth has returned with such a force!  I guess you could compare it to being reborn and I'm old and wise enough to realize this is my chance to take my life and live it like there's no tomorrow.  What a great feeling!! 

I have posted all over the place, please forgive any faux pas on my part.  I am very new to this and not up on all the etiquette.  Everyone here has a special place in my heart, my great big giant BB heart.  Life is so cool right now, what a great place to be!  ;D  I love that it has had the same effect on so many diverse cultures and countries!!

Peace and Love to all, thanks for listening!

PS the audio version is excellent for the car.  I have picked up so many more little details than I did in several readings of the book and it really enriches the movie for me, filling in some blank spots emotionally. 
"How many times do you have the chance to experience the love of your life?"
"The hope of a great love is one of the strongest driving forces in life - if I had it within my sights, I can't imagine letting it get away for any reason" Sienna- Boys of Blue Ridge

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2006, 09:29:49 PM »
welcome, and however did you get that member name?  how could that have not been picked already?  it must have been waiting just for you.  if all the posters quit tomorrow, you would still have years of reading here, so enjoy, past present and future.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2006, 03:23:40 AM »
Hi there

this is my first post anywhere ever, so please be gentle!

I've been lurking for weeks (read 'months') all over the internet checking whatever interviews/ videos I could find since first seeing BBM in February.  Then I found you guys and 'hurrah'!  I don't think I need to state the emotional impact BBM's had on me here - 'cos I know you're all in the same place right - I probably couldn't anyway if I tried.  The only movie that has driven me back to the cinema for a 2nd viewing (then a few more times on DVD)

the movie was eagerly anticipated in our house, my husband and I both having read and loved the short story years ago, and hearing that Ang Lee was doing the movie version made us very keen to see it.  I wonder if any other women have been introduced to Brokeback by their husbands?   He read the story first, before insisting I read it then found out about the movie and booked up tickets for the first weekend showing.  Poor guy had no idea what an obsession it would become for me!  He's being very indulgent with me though and seems to find my crush on Jake amusing (I'm 38 and I think I'm having a second adolescence, oh well)

BTW can I just say -   2nd night in tent - most beautiful love scene on screen ever! 

I supposed to be studying, I have an exam on Monday but have been neglectful of late (no prizes for guessing why).  If I fail my exam I'm gonna blame our blue-eyed boy and all you guys for being so cool and interesting I can't stay away!

'Guess I'll see you around huh'

'shimmering golden silk threaded with starlight' (Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl)

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2006, 06:02:08 AM »
Hi Ruby - welcome to the forum. 

I'm a fellow Brit too - nice to see another one!  There are quite a few of us knocking about here and there..  I'm sure I'll see you around.
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2006, 07:48:06 AM »
Wecome Ruby, your husband is way cool!
and I agree, 2nd night in tent - incredible!!!

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Gonzo

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2006, 08:43:05 AM »
Wecome Ruby, your husband is way cool!
and I agree, 2nd night in tent - incredible!!!

SNIT, rocks!  *heavy panting, drool on keyboard* 

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2006, 09:06:47 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  Yeah he's a great guy.  I got lucky.
                'shimmering golden silk threaded with starlight' (Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl)

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2006, 01:05:35 PM »
'Guess I'll see you around huh'

Darn right you will.....ha ha ha...Welcome to our family hon. AND your husband ROCKS !!!

Nellie :)
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline Fricky

• Feet Wet
    • Homepage
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2006, 01:16:39 PM »
am sorry saw this to late...

So what can i say...uhm..im from Germany so excuse my bad english.
Im Glad that someone gives us the chance to talk bout Ennis n Jack.

If someone wants to know more bout me ..pleez visit my profil.
You all seems to be very nice and tolerant..so please forgive my (sometimes very) euphoric Postings... *g

Im sure well have a nice time:)

Greetz,

Fricky

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »

You all seems to be very nice and tolerant..so please forgive my (sometimes very) euphoric Postings... *g

Greetz,

Fricky

Fricky, not that you are not welcome here but I'm sure you know that there is a german thread in this forum!
Incredible put true,

It's here
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8638.285

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline Fricky

• Feet Wet
    • Homepage
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2006, 02:07:09 PM »
Thank you very much. ;D

Offline hpv

• Feet Wet
    • photobucket
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2006, 09:42:48 AM »

Greetz,

Fricky

Better late then...etc :D

Wow,what a beautiful avator you have!!!
I wish I know how to quit you

Offline Fricky

• Feet Wet
    • Homepage
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2006, 04:25:11 PM »
Thank you. My first one...inspired by Jack and Ennis ;)

Offline prayerofthanks

• Feet Wet
Re: New Members-- the spirit of love in BBM
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2006, 09:49:36 AM »
I said "hello" a couple months ago, but didn't find an easy "introduce yourself" area. Glad to see this New Member area now. I'm like an earlier writer ... never used the computer for anything like this before (that is before January when I saw Brokeback and have been reading and visiting this website several times a week ever since), and reluctant when it comes to baring my soul. But I have to say that the dialogues have been so caring, the stories so heartfelt, the shared experience of Brokeback so powerful that I just can't *not* say a bit about how I come to this.

I am a person of faith, touched by the spirit of love as well as content of the Christians Who Love Brokeback thread. This spirit of love is evident on many other threads as well (yes, yes, as well as wonderful content!). To me, this spirit is at the core of the film: a magnificent, palpable portrayal of love.  Amazingly, a love that welcomes us to live in it, not just observe passively as a viewer. Incredible!!

One reason it speaks to me is because of the parallel with my own life experience. My beloved and I are in our 40s. We met at 19 and 21. A deep and enduring friendship grew between us. Sheltered by the denial (like Jack and Ennis "ain't queer", we weren't "lesbians"), we fell completely in love with one another. We too had a time of being apart (3 years), yet then we were able to envision a life together -- and choose it. And thrive and grow and find God and the Spirit of Love in and through that shared life.

Our experience is made even more poignant by the vicious attacks perpetrated by the rightwing religious extremists dominating American politics today. They manipulate those who sincerely feel fear of the unknown and are vulnerable to the hate-speech of James Dobson and the like that preys on that fear.

Meanwhile, our lives are a quiet testimony to the blessings of commitment and love between 2 whole persons who are of the same gender.

So I hear Jack's "how about you and me, we get a cow and calf operation" as a proposal of marriage: marriage understood as the uniting of two souls, not a list of legally dictated priviledges and responsibilities. Jack saw that their love called them to build a life together, to flourish and grow together in and through their love to bring more love into the world; love that I know as God's Love, but for those for whom "God" language is alienating, put in the idea of being brought forward into the world in order to share the best of yourself to contibute to the creation of a world of love, kindness, generousity, gentleness, awe and wonder. (I'm borrowing that list of uplifting adjectives from Rabbi Michael Lerner)

Thanks for reading this far. I'm at a time when I feel led to try to articulate big ideas. My experence of Broakback feeds me and gives me the courage to keep trying. I appreciate your giving these thoughts a read.

Best to each of you,
Heather