The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 501469 times)

Offline lawgoddess

• Loving Jake, Brokeback, and Merlin
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • A Thousand Kisses Deep
    • karisblue
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #1095 on: October 30, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
Ashlee, welcome!

I was born and raised in Bay City myself, on Cass Avenue in the South End. My parents and one of my brothers still live there.

I am so sorry about the loss of your dad, but it sounds like he knew how much  you loved him, and I hope that's a comfort to you.

I think everyone who arrives at this forum is here because of some sort of pain. I hope you will find some threads you enjoy.

If you ever want fanfiction recommendations, just PM me.

Again, welcome. :)
It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do. Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility.

chuckyv

« Reply #1096 on: November 03, 2008, 11:53:13 AM »
What a lovely welcome,Jack. You said it all.
Welcome,Ashlee.Enjoy.

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1097 on: November 13, 2008, 07:54:53 AM »
welcome to the forum ObeOro!
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline cate1970

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1098 on: November 25, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
hi all,

cat here.  was tooling around the internet looking for a site where i could chat with folks (read: whine endlessly) about being housebound with a broken ankle.  i googled, dave cullen 'answered.' i posted on that thread, and am glad i found you.  a lot of very thoughtful, heartbreaking, and inspiring stuff going on here.  words sometimes do bleed.  i'm going to my first aa meeting tonight in some time (prompted in large part by the fallout from getting completely smashed and breaking said ankle) and, even though you don't know it, many of you, and the things you have written about are helping to maintain my courage.  i found you for a reason, and i know i won't spend the next few hours trolling for excuses about why i really don't need to go.

my heartfelt thanks,

catherine

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1099 on: November 25, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
Hi Catherine

Welcome to the forum!  :)

sorry about your ankle  :(

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #1100 on: November 25, 2008, 02:54:15 PM »
Welcome Catherine! 
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline Miaisland

• Lady of the midnight sun
  • Obsessed
  • Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #1101 on: November 25, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
Hey Catherine!

Very welcome to the forum. Keep the courage.

I think we all found each other for a reason.

((((( Hugs )))))
Mia
“Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” - Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Offline cate1970

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1102 on: November 25, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
hi ashlee,

i, too, am sorry to hear about your dad.  it's not for me to define other people's sexuality, but i think i can safely say my father is gay or bi.  over the years, when i was living at home, i walked in on some compromising situations.  i tried to talk to him about it, but he would have none of it.  he was not is not gay or bi, no way, no how.  i haven't spoken with him in ten years; largely because i didn't appreciate him being less than honest about this with my mom, and later, his second wife.  of course, it's not my place to say anything, and i never would.  but i am recalling my own reaction to BBM, or a part of it.  we are all human, and all flawed: how reasonable is it of me to expect a 75 year old man to admit he's gay or bi to himself, let alone anyone else?  the movie made me realize that it's far more complesx than i wished it was.  i also remember thinking i'd pick up the phone and give him a call.  he was not and is not well.  years on, and i still haven't called.  advice?
thanks,
cat

Offline cate1970

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1103 on: November 25, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
thanks for the warm greetings.  reading and posting on here is thoroughly fulfilling. 

hugs back,
cat

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #1104 on: November 26, 2008, 06:58:46 PM »
hi ashlee,

i, too, am sorry to hear about your dad.  it's not for me to define other people's sexuality, but i think i can safely say my father is gay or bi.  over the years, when i was living at home, i walked in on some compromising situations.  i tried to talk to him about it, but he would have none of it.  he was not is not gay or bi, no way, no how.  i haven't spoken with him in ten years; largely because i didn't appreciate him being less than honest about this with my mom, and later, his second wife.  of course, it's not my place to say anything, and i never would.  but i am recalling my own reaction to BBM, or a part of it.  we are all human, and all flawed: how reasonable is it of me to expect a 75 year old man to admit he's gay or bi to himself, let alone anyone else?  the movie made me realize that it's far more complesx than i wished it was.  i also remember thinking i'd pick up the phone and give him a call.  he was not and is not well.  years on, and i still haven't called.  advice?
thanks,
cat

Hi Cate, and welcome. He's 75. Pick up the phone. What have you got to lose? Nothing. What have you got to gain? You'll never know until you try. Good luck with everything in your life, and stay around.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #1105 on: November 27, 2008, 01:00:52 AM »
call cat, don't judge what you couldn't possibly understand.  if jack and ennis were real and alive, they would only be 65, can you imagine what kind of climate your father grew up in, and what kind of self loathing that might have installed?  i don't think so.  many of us do, and it is indeed tragic when it is too late for help to arrive.  at least your dad could know you accept him no matter how flawed.

jack 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1106 on: November 27, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
Hello Cat,
This seems like as good a time as any, this thanksgiving w/e to make that call. I second Jack and Marian's words. Just don't expect to right too much in one go but do please make the call. Nothing ventured.... as they say. :)

Andy.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1107 on: November 27, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
Cat, call him.  Like Andy said, nothing ventured.

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #1108 on: November 28, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
Cat, call him.  Like Andy said, nothing ventured.

I agree.......... make the call.
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1109 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »
Hi Cat, and welcome to the forum.

If it's difficult for you to make that call, maybe because you don't know what to expect and are afraid of it, maybe you could write him a letter instead. It doesn't have to be long or elaborate, just letting him know you want contact with him and asking if that's ok.....

If he has any kind of feelings for his daughter, I'm sure he won't hesitate to answer you....

As others have said, you don't know what he's been through, and if you don't take the first step now, maybe none of you ever will.....

Good luck!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre