The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 501411 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #1635 on: January 28, 2022, 03:13:56 AM »

Hello Smith0122 & nemo98, and welcome to the Ultimate Brokeback Forum!

My name is Chuck (USA/ New Jersey) and I'm one of the moderators who helps run the place.

It's always great to see new members find us and join up!

I'm going to supply you with a few links that you may find helpful.  You may have already been in a few threads in these sections, but you may find some new topics you want to post in.  If you see that a topic is "old", and then you get a message about the thread being "old", as long as the thread is unlocked, you can post there, so please do!!!   Please don't feel that you shouldn't post.  You never know what conversation would be started because you posted.

In this section you can find threads to compare the movie to the short story (Film Vs. Book), your favorite quote from the movie or book, and general discussion of Brokeback.

In this section you can find threads about reactions of the audience, how the movie affected you, and other topics.

Here you will find threads that talk about various scenes from the movie. 

This is where you'll find threads that talk about Jack, Ennis, their relationship, the women of Brokeback, and other elements.

There are other sections as well where you'll find chat threads (The Diner,  Le Bar Slash) fan fiction discussion, TV, movies, music, and countless other threads.

Have fun exploring!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1636 on: January 28, 2022, 08:22:21 AM »
Welcome, newcomers! I'm Fritz from Virginia/USA.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1637 on: January 28, 2022, 08:25:40 AM »

Welcome from me too! I'm Ingmar from Germany.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Omar

• Virgin
« Reply #1638 on: October 22, 2022, 07:34:01 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'll start by saying that coming upon this forum and seeing that it was active was an incredibly emotional surprise for me. I think I've come across it a few years back, but was too young to pay it any mind. I found it this time by looking up "Water walking jesus" on youtube after reading the short story for the millionth time, and finding a video uploaded by fritzkep (Hi Fritz!  ;D nice to see you active on here) of a bunch of BBM enthusiasts visiting the film-site. It put a huge smile on my face, and through my excellent internet-stalking skills, I found the forum.

Anyways, a little about me. My name is Omar, I'm 21 years old, I'm a mystic/chasing enlightenment and I have a feeling my background is not a very common demographic on the forum– that is, I am form Saudi Arabia. As many of you can imagine, growing up as a gay man here wasn't very easy. I lived nearly all of my childhood and teenage years terrified, both due to my sexuality and for rejecting and leaving Islam, both crimes in the country. In school I have been ridiculed, bullied, outed, I have been forced to go to conversion therapy by my father, beaten, terrorized, and at some point, taken by him to the middle of the desert and being told by him that he brought me there to kill me.

I write all of this not to share a sob story, but to give a background on why this movie resonated with me so much. I watched Brokeback for the first time when i was 13 years old. I remember this sense of loss that I had for days after. It felt like I was in mourning. It wasn't just because it was a beautifully tragic story, which, oh my god– it was. Rather, it was because that was how I imagined my life would be if I didn't make it out. I felt everything that ennis and jack felt, and I was so upset at how hopeless it all was. I was scared and sad and so hopeless. To quote Jack, "You have no idea how bad it gets".

To say I have since become obsessed is an understatement. I watched the movie once a year, every year since then. I'd watch it more, but I like to keep it a little fresh upon rewatch, often alone, but last year it was with my first boyfriend which felt like an accomplishment, and this year it was with one of my best friends. I listen to the sound track at least once a month. the track "The wings" makes me tear up every single time, and the song spiritual that inspired annie to write the story is probably my favorite instrumental piece of music ever. A few months ago I ordered the book "Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay" just so I could have something physical to hold on to. I am so pleased to hear that the forum has a book and I hope I can own and read it in the future.

I currently study clinical psychology. Doing my best to so I can get a grad-school scholarship and make it out of here eventually, but I don't know if that is in the stars for me. One thing is for sure though, I'm getting out one way or another. No way in hell do they get to bury my cold, dead body here. My living situation hasn't changed, but I have. I managed to find many friends and lovers who have give me a reason to keep holding on, and I grew the resilience that many gay men before me had to grow. We are survivors.

Anyways, it is now 4 AM on a college night and I'm typing all this feeling so tired and yet so ecstatic to find other gay men who love brokeback as much as I do. Thank you for this space. Thank you fritz for documenting your quest and sorry for creeping up on your youtube videos. I found them beautiful. I hope I can get to know you all, and I apologize for the inappropriately long introduction. Be well, and goodnight(morning?).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 07:41:54 PM by Omar »

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1639 on: October 22, 2022, 07:44:54 PM »
Hey Omar! Welcome to this place! I live in Virginia USA.

Thank you for your kind remarks about my YT vids!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1640 on: October 22, 2022, 08:14:07 PM »
Hi, Omar.  Fritz told me we'd had a new visitor here.  Welcome!

I'm glad that Brokeback and this forum have been so meaningful to you, and have given you so much hope.  I wish you all the best with your studies, and hope you can "get out of there" someday to live where you want to live, the way you want to live.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1641 on: October 22, 2022, 09:09:14 PM »
Hello Omar, and welcome to the Ultimate Brokeback Forum!

My name is Chuck (USA/ New Jersey) and I'm one of the moderators who helps run the place.

I'm going to supply you with a few links that you may find helpful.  Before I do that, however, on a personal note, I'm glad you have a support group there for you, and I hope you are safe!  Keep your head up, and I send you strength.

You may have already been in a few threads in these sections, but you may find some new topics you want to post in.  If you see that a topic is "old", and then you get a message about the thread being "old", as long as the thread is unlocked, you can post there, so please do!!!   Please don't feel that you shouldn't post.  You never know what conversation would be started because you posted.

In this section you can find threads to compare the movie to the short story (Film Vs. Book), your favorite quote from the movie or book, and general discussion of Brokeback.

In this section you can find threads about reactions of the audience, how the movie affected you, and other topics.

This is where you'll find threads that talk about Jack, Ennis, their relationship, the women of Brokeback, and other elements.

There are other sections as well where you'll find chat threads (The Diner,  Le Bar Slash) fan fiction discussion, TV, movies, music, and countless other threads.

Have fun exploring!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:58:47 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline Omar

• Virgin
« Reply #1642 on: October 23, 2022, 12:30:59 AM »
thank you all for your warm welcome. You are lucky to have each other.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1643 on: October 23, 2022, 08:49:45 AM »
^^^ Hi Omar - Welcome. I've watched a few films revolving around being homosexual in Muslim areas of the world.  +++ vibes your way man - what you described is some of what was shown.  Exiting Saudi Arabia, to a more friendly country is the right plan.  We are glad you found UBF.  There are many awesome members remaining - most continue resonating from BBM even now, 17 years later.  Remain safe.  V.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1644 on: October 23, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
I hope I can get to know you all, and I apologize for the inappropriately long introduction. Be well, and goodnight (morning?).

Hi, Omar, and your introduction was anything but inappropriate! It was perfect. You write and express yourself very well. Hope to hear a lot more from you. I am Lyle and I'm in Los Angeles. Thank you for joining the forum. Very nice to become acquainted with you. Welcome!

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1645 on: October 23, 2022, 04:34:40 PM »

Hey Omar! Welcome to this wonderful forum. You just found the RIGHT place!  ;)

My name is Ing (Ingmar), I live in Southwest Germany - I used to live in France for a quarter of a century.

Looking forward to your contributions here. And I am touched by your story you shared here so candidly.

:)

I wish you a lot of strength and courage. For strength and courage, that's what we give and receive here on UBF almost every day. For me: almost 17 years long. It is helpful and it feels very, very good.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1646 on: November 12, 2022, 06:44:49 AM »
Hello Omar. It’s wonderful to see you here.
I live in a village in SW England. My life was changed forever by watching the film and coming to this forum 14 years ago. I don’t post so much now but it’s still a part of my world.
I’m proud that one of my grandsons, now 15 but still 13 at the time, has come out as gay. It was hard for him, but he is so happy now that he’s done it. But I’m sad to think think that however difficult it was for him then, what a very much greater struggle being gay has been for you. I wish you all the very best.
(And by the way, your English is absolutely perfect!)

Offline Luigi2004

• Virgin
« Reply #1647 on: October 25, 2023, 04:19:30 PM »
This is the thread for new members to introduce themselves.

Welcome to our wonderful community! We are glad you found us!

Hello...i'm new here. Im Luigi, 19 and id like to join... Hpw do i post stuff? Thank you so much, i thought i was the only one devastaded by bbm. Saw it last year at 17 and lost my mind. I know you all saw the movie 17 years ago. It us not over for me. Help me

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1648 on: October 25, 2023, 04:23:51 PM »

Hello and welcome, Luigi.

I'm Ingmar from Germany, I used to live in France for a long time.

You've found the right place - it's almost like home here.

We've all been around since 2005/2006.

It would be great if you could join us. There are many threads which might interest you, and if you simply want to chat, visit us in The Diner.

:)
WISE UP

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1649 on: October 25, 2023, 05:18:22 PM »

Hello Luigi2004, and welcome to the Ultimate Brokeback Forum!

I'm going to supply you with a few links that you may find helpful.  You may have already been in a few threads in these sections, but you may find some new topics you want to post in.  If you see that a topic is "old", and then you get a message about the thread being "old", as long as the thread is unlocked, you can post there, so please do!!!   Please don't feel that you shouldn't post.  You never know what conversation would be started because you posted.

Have fun exploring!