The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 501551 times)

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »
Hi, thought I'd pop in with a welcome of my own, since y'all had been so kind... and then I saw the word, CHICAGO!!!!!
what... I thought I was the only person out this way to be a complete emotional wreck over this movie...
Nellie, your from out here, too?
That rocks...I live right over state line, in good ol Indiana, up by the lake...
Hey, are there more of us?
It's gets pretty lonely out this way.
Just wonderin and again, nice to meet y'all.

Hey there....you're way down there?...I know Imjackshesennis(Heidi) is living in Indiana...your're only a couple hours away from me....

Nice to meet y'all too ;D ;D ;D

Nellie
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

melissasjack

« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2006, 10:50:38 AM »
Hey,
s'now I'm starting to entertain some crazy thoughts of a good 'ol MIDWEST BBM BASH!!!!!!!!
I, however, am planning on makin' my way down to Texas cuz the thought of 3 whole days w/people who understand is so overwhelmingly wonderful that I've just gotta do it...
Credit Card Debt: Many Dollars
Airfare: Even More
Hotels: $$$$$$$
Meeting BBm lovers: Pricelass
Cheesy, but y'all bring it outta me
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2006, 11:07:25 AM »
Hey,
s'now I'm starting to entertain some crazy thoughts of a good 'ol MIDWEST BBM BASH!!!!!!!!
I, however, am planning on makin' my way down to Texas cuz the thought of 3 whole days w/people who understand is so overwhelmingly wonderful that I've just gotta do it...
Credit Card Debt: Many Dollars
Airfare: Even More
Hotels: $$$$$$$
Meeting BBm lovers: Pricelass
Cheesy, but y'all bring it outta me
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lady jane...we're in this together than...I'm going to Texas too...getting there on Thursday the 10th...get your cowboy hat ready,girlfriend........yeee hawww!!!!

BTW...it is PRICELESS hon...

Nellie   ;D
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2006, 12:28:15 PM »
Hi, thought I'd pop in with a welcome of my own, since y'all had been so kind... and then I saw the word, CHICAGO!!!!!
what... I thought I was the only person out this way to be a complete emotional wreck over this movie...
That rocks...I live right over state line, in good ol Indiana, up by the lake...

Hey! What town on the lake, Michigan City or another one? I get to that part of Indiana frequently, to South Bend, since I went to a rather well known school there for college (back in the 60's)

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

melissasjack

« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »

Hey! What town on the lake, Michigan City or another one? I get to that part of Indiana frequently, to South Bend, since I went to a rather well known school there for college (back in the 60's)

Hey
nice to meet you, too.
It's Munster, Indiana... we're about 5 minutes from the Il border... Lansing and Cal City, Illinois are my neighbors...and on a good day it takes 30 minutes to get downtown.. (damn construction) >:(
I'm probably about 25 minutes or so from Michigan City..
but we get out that way a lot for the Lake, y'know.
Lake Michigan is better than any ol ocean.. no sharks!
 ::)

Offline aliceathome

• Two of Three
  • Obsessed
  • Grumpy Old Baggage
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »
Hi all. I'm a latecomer to the film here but am so glad to have found you all.  I missed Brokeback at the cinema (busy with new job, new house blah blah) and so didn't see it until travelling to the US 12 days ago. Yep, saw it on the plane on a tiny seatback screen and it made me cry (the man next to me was slightly disturbed - got more disturbed when I watched it all over again on the next cycle and blubbed all the way through). By the time I arrived in Chicago I was obsessed - found a wifi place and downloaded the audiobook plus the soundtrack before making my next plane and bought the dvd the next day. I don't know why this wonderful film has effected me more deeply than any other I've seen. I feel bizarrely cheated that I wasn't involved 6 months ago so have missed many of the interviews etc I've seen mentioned here - but then am having enough trouble doing anything but watching my favourite bits in slow motion without even more things to distract me!

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks for being here.

"Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon"    Annie Proulx

B73

« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2006, 05:35:42 PM »
Hi all. I'm a latecomer to the film here but am so glad to have found you all.  I missed Brokeback at the cinema (busy with new job, new house blah blah) and so didn't see it until travelling to the US 12 days ago. Yep, saw it on the plane on a tiny seatback screen and it made me cry (the man next to me was slightly disturbed - got more disturbed when I watched it all over again on the next cycle and blubbed all the way through). By the time I arrived in Chicago I was obsessed - found a wifi place and downloaded the audiobook plus the soundtrack before making my next plane and bought the dvd the next day. I don't know why this wonderful film has effected me more deeply than any other I've seen. I feel bizarrely cheated that I wasn't involved 6 months ago so have missed many of the interviews etc I've seen mentioned here - but then am having enough trouble doing anything but watching my favourite bits in slow motion without even more things to distract me!

aliceathome, welcome to the Forum!  You've definitely come to the right place! 

I can't believe you saw BBM for the first time on a plane!  Wowzers.  And I know what you mean: I missed out on the theater experience b/c I saw it first on DVD (though I had been inexplicably obsessed with it even before I saw it).  Tell you what: a lot of places have been playing the movie in theaters again, so if you can, catch it if they play it near your home.  I did in the Castro, SF last month, and I'll tell you, it's something to see the film with other Brokeback buddies!

Cheers!

melissasjack

« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »

Hi aliceathome and many many welcomes.
This here is my new favorite place in the world.
Can't believe you had to see it on a plane, either.
I saw it with a friend and the minute it was over I promptly sent him home (he didn't get it) so I could watch it all by myself...
I too feel cheated as my first time was back in May...I'd waited for school to let out, grrrr...should've said screw school.
Prepare yourself for the emotional rollercoaster but know that you have friends here who will help you through it...
It's been 6 weeks and I'm still a wreck half the time...
although I've heard it gets easier.
Take care and glad you found us.

Offline aliceathome

• Two of Three
  • Obsessed
  • Grumpy Old Baggage
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2006, 01:53:41 AM »
Thanks for the welcome - am somewhat relieved that I'm not the only obsessed person in the world.  B73 - thanks for the tip. After a brief search I've discovered a lunchtime showing at a cinema in London next week so am going to bunk off work and catch it on the big screen. Can't wait!  Take lots of tissues and hope nobody catches me!  Still, the DVD is a lifesaver - don't know what I'd have done if there wasn't the option to replay my favourite bits whenever I want.

Cheers!

"Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon"    Annie Proulx

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2006, 06:03:56 AM »
Welcome, Melissa and Alice,

I have enjoyed reading your enthusiastic posts -- it reminds me so much of when I first found the Forum -- for me it was a mix of devastation, wondering what was wrong with me that a film could affect me in this way, and yet a sense of determination to live life more fully.   After watching BBM, I had to know if I was really crazy or if others felt like me -- and, of course, that's how I sought out the Forum (Feb) and never looked back.   You will find a wonderful family here -- I've made so many really good friendships here and I think it is because we are a group that wants to share our emotions and feelings -- very unlike any group I've ever been associated with.  Then too we've bonded together with our outstanding projects, Ad Campaign, DVD to Library Campaign and now our Book Campaign -- with more projects to come.

I too wouldn't miss the BBQ for the world -- a chance to finally put faces to people that I've really gotten to know.  I have been lucky enough to meet a few members while traveling and that has been very fun and rewarding.   

So join in the fun and welcome to your new BBM Family!   Jan

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »
Hey-- not really a new member, but I've been lurking for a while and haven't had the guts to post until today, so when it rains it pours I guess. I'm a citizen of the state of Minnesota, an astronomer by trade (and always willing to be your technical expert on things astronomical). I do a lot fo things int he Brokeback fandom over on livejournal. I saw Brokeback in February, and it's an understatement to say it changed my life. But in addition, I'm getting a lot of pleasure of the fandom-- amazing works of art, especially fiction, and even more amazing people. Hello!

Jessica
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2006, 03:00:04 PM »
An astronomer, wow! I'm sure that full moon on our boys first night of love had that perfect power of attraction!

Welcome and have a seat in our angst ridden group ;D

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2006, 06:19:57 AM »
Hey
nice to meet you, too.
It's Munster, Indiana... we're about 5 minutes from the Il border... Lansing and Cal City, Illinois are my neighbors...and on a good day it takes 30 minutes to get downtown.. (damn construction) >:(

Well heck.  You're right off Rte. 30 just there at Hammond!  (Lived in Valparaiso for 10 years)
Made drives back and forth through there all the time!

Small world gets smaller, Melissa.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

melissasjack

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2006, 08:27:28 AM »
Hey
nice to meet you, too.

Well heck.  You're right off Rte. 30 just there at Hammond!  (Lived in Valparaiso for 10 years)
Made drives back and forth through there all the time!

Small world gets smaller, Melissa.

Gotta love it, huh?  I'm tellin' you, after this BBQ, we've gotta have a nice ol midwest bash too.....

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Hey Planetgal,

I'm loving your newest fic, Human Voices.  Thanks, and welcome!!

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928