The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here  (Read 498230 times)

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
Re: New Members--Introduce Yourselves Here
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2006, 05:27:34 PM »
Hey Planetgal,

I'm loving your newest fic, Human Voices.  Thanks, and welcome!!

*hugs* Yay always glad to meet readers. What is a writer without readers? Nothing, I tell ya!  ;D Sorry, am a goober.
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2006, 11:48:09 PM »
Hi Planetgal!

Here's a pic i took back in May with my LX-90:

Holy fxx that rocks. Asteroid! That is just amazing. Plus, the Ring Nebula is literally my favorite telescope object. I actually study exploded stars now just because I was totally fascinated with the Ring Nebula in undergrad. Here's mine of the Ring, from undergrad, red is Hydrogen, blue is Oxygen:

No asteroids though. I was just looking at the Ring Saturday night through my 8-inch. Tell me about your scope!
"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannonballs and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2006, 08:41:42 AM »
WOW -- BayCityJohn and PlanetGal - Fabulous photos!    Thanks for sharing them!  Jan

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »
Planetgal:

It wasn't an asteroid.

It was Comet 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3
That is so cool. I've never even seen a comet through a telescope, just a spotting scope. I had no idea they moved so fast! What's the time between frames?

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2006, 12:41:42 PM »
Planetgal:

My scope is a Meade LX-90, 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain.

I have it set up on an tripod with an equatorial wedge. Hope to build a permanent pier to mount the scope before the end of the year. I have a nice garden shed that I want to convert into a backyard observatory.

yeah, alright, we have a couple old Celestron SC-8s and a couple Nexstar-8s, so it sounds liek we basically have the same telescope. Only I have NO IDEA how to set up the 8-inch for astrophotography. My husband's played around a bit with that on my 4.5 inch. I have known people that converted backyward sheds to have rolling roofs. You could try something like that. Would be fun! Astronomy is fun :)

Gonzo

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
Hey guys,

I hate to ruin the party and I am a great offender of this, but...watching those comets go by has made y'all stray a bit off topic.  You know you can start your own thread.  It's easy to do.  You might even get some people looking just for this topic.   :-*

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »
Hey guys,

I hate to ruin the party and I am a great offender of this, but...watching those comets go by has made y'all stray a bit off topic.  You know you can start your own thread.  It's easy to do.  You might even get some people looking just for this topic.   :-*

:-X Swry. I do that some times when it comes to astronomy. Get carried away, I mean.

Offline puzzledmonkey

• Virgin
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:45 AM »
Hello Everyone  :D

I am from London and I am new to DC although not new to BBM. I first read AP's short story about 2 years ago. When I heard that they were making a movie I couldn't believe that Hollywood would be able to do justice to the power of APs language.  I read the short story one last time before I went to see the film because I knew that I would never again be able to imagine Jack & Ennis in the same way again. I was right about that but wrong about the film. Like most people I was bowled over by it. Saw it 4 times in the cinema. Downloaded the music and listened to it incessently. Got the screenplay and then the DVD. Nothing seemed to assauge the feeling of desolation and loss that the story created and the film reinforced and multiplied a thousand  times.

It wasn't until I started reading BBMfanfiction, mainly, Never taking no + When the snow didn't come (Ladymoluk), Human Interest (madlori), Somebody New (Jenna), Dreaming( Caithlin) and more lately If I asked (Amy, midwestgirl) that I began to settle down. It was like putting bandage onto a wound....  Actually many different bandages each of a different material with a different flavour medicine. There is a lot of mediocre stuff out there that does justice to neither the film nor the book.  But the ones I mentioned are among some of the best fiction I have read anywhere. I am astounded that these writers haven't been taken up by publishers... they are so good.

Over the few months that I've been reading BBNFiction I've been faciniated by how the best writers have ferreted out themes, events, and relationships that are in the short story or the film, and often created whole new universes that are true to the original but discover new things about the characters.  I have normally avoided stories that paraphrase or expand on the original for two reasons; because they always fall short of the power of the orginal; and because if I wanted to know more I prefer to re read AP or watch the film again.  AU treatments are much more interesting and innovative as well as rewarding for my soppy soul.

Anyway, so much for introducing myself... I''m off to explore DC ...you'll hear from me again.

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »
Hello Monkey....ha ha ha...love your name by the way....

Welcome and don't be too shy to keep on posting hon....

Your friend,

Nellie :)
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

melissasjack

« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2006, 08:43:15 AM »
Hi Monkey,
Welcome to this wonderplace, know you have founds friends who understand, and hey...Feel fee to visit us on the slash thread if you love fan fic....It's my home away from home...
Good to have you!
Melissa

Offline PatSinnott

• Obsessed
  • You 'n Alma... That's a life...?
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2006, 12:07:28 PM »
Planetgal is a great fic writer.  I've traded in my obsession with the movie to one with fics :-\

Melissa, where is the slash thread you mentioned?  Which category does it fall under?
I am a fic reading demon! :o

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country"- Edward Bernays, 1928

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »
Planetgal is a great fic writer.  I've traded in my obsession with the movie to one with fics :-\

Melissa, where is the slash thread you mentioned?  Which category does it fall under?

*blush*

The slash thread is under "The Juicy Bits". You have to be signed in to see it.

Offline planetgal471

• Mistress of Metaphor
  • Obsessed
  • Race the Burning Sun
    • The Sacred Realm
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
Welcome, monkey! You have great taste in fics in my opinion. Your list reads just like my list of favorites. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #178 on: July 18, 2006, 01:03:29 AM »
Welcome indeed, monkey, and a warm welcome to the wonderful world of fiction! We poor writers probably find it's cheaper than a shrink. I do anyway. It's a good way of workshopping arguments - and people don't argue back!

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
  • I'm not kissing you, I'm whispering in your mouth
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2006, 10:45:39 PM »

I've traded in my obsession with the movie to one with fics :-\

Me too.  All hail the fic writers!!
"How many times do you have the chance to experience the love of your life?"
"The hope of a great love is one of the strongest driving forces in life - if I had it within my sights, I can't imagine letting it get away for any reason" Sienna- Boys of Blue Ridge